Your thoughts on Gen 8 so far

AzrealMaximillion

Jan 20, 2010
Danbo Jambo said:
Calm Sands said:
Danbo Jambo said:
I'm still a year or so away from seriously considering buying one, although my first "urges" have just kicked in to get one with the release of The Witcher 3.

More quality games and an Enhanced edition of TW3 should see me grab one sometime in 2016 I reckon. Currently there's very little point though.
Why not just get it for the PC?

I just don't enjoy games on PC with anything other than traditional point and click mechanics. I've always prefered the less faff and setup of consoles.
To be fair, the majority of 3rd Person PC games made in the past few years support controllers. You can either buy a PC controller or just use a controller from whatever Sony/Ms console using a very easy yo use freeware app. And having just built a PC for myself I have to say, not much maintenance needed. I just clean it out every few months to get rid of dust.

LauriAJ

Apr 18, 2015
I only have the Wii U at the moment but hopefully I will get the PS4 soon. Any games you wanna recommend me? I would like to play Watch Dogs at least...

Danbo Jambo

Sep 26, 2014
AzrealMaximillion said:
Danbo Jambo said:
Calm Sands said:
Danbo Jambo said:
I'm still a year or so away from seriously considering buying one, although my first "urges" have just kicked in to get one with the release of The Witcher 3.

More quality games and an Enhanced edition of TW3 should see me grab one sometime in 2016 I reckon. Currently there's very little point though.

I just don't enjoy games on PC with anything other than traditional point and click mechanics. I've always prefered the less faff and setup of consoles.
To be fair, the majority of 3rd Person PC games made in the past few years support controllers. You can either buy a PC controller or just use a controller from whatever Sony/Ms console using a very easy yo use freeware app. And having just built a PC for myself I have to say, not much maintenance needed. I just clean it out every few months to get rid of dust.
True. It's not just that though, it's all the faffing about with software & drivers, the location of my PC at a desk as opposed to playing comfy from my couch, and the fact that I'd probably have to spend a few hundred quid on upgrades to run it anyway.

I look on PC's as having a model GF, plenty of reward but high maintinence/cost/effort. I can't fault those who do it mind, most games I play on PC are better than the console versions (with the odd exception), but I just love the simplicity of consoles. Which is one of the reason I've held off buying a next gen console in the first place.

I don't even play online. Again it's too much faff and something which doesn't interest me. Just my own tastes :)

AzrealMaximillion

Jan 20, 2010
Danbo Jambo said:
AzrealMaximillion said:
Danbo Jambo said:
Calm Sands said:
Danbo Jambo said:

True. It's not just that though, it's all the faffing about with software & drivers, the location of my PC at a desk as opposed to playing comfy from my couch, and the fact that I'd probably have to spend a few hundred quid on upgrades to run it anyway.

I look on PC's as having a model GF, plenty of reward but high maintinence/cost/effort. I can't fault those who do it mind, most games I play on PC are better than the console versions (with the odd exception), but I just love the simplicity of consoles. Which is one of the reason I've held off buying a next gen console in the first place.

I don't even play online. Again it's too much faff and something which doesn't interest me. Just my own tastes :)
That's fair and perfectly understandable. For me, there's just not enough games in this new Generation to warrant me getting a console.

Most of the X1 exclusive get sent to PC within the same year as release. And a lot of PS4 games I'm interested in will probably get ported over to the PS Vita with more content (looking at you Persona 5). That and with the rate that Japanese titles are hitting the PC (MGS 5), and the rate that games like Final Fantasy are seeing PC ports, I can't justify getting a new console.

I like Japanese console games better than a lot of Western Titles and we're seeing a lot of very good PS3/PS4 games getting good ports.

And a wireless HDMI set up in my home makes PC gaming on my couch just as valid of an option for couch play as console gaming.

Danbo Jambo

Sep 26, 2014
AzrealMaximillion said:
Danbo Jambo said:
AzrealMaximillion said:
Danbo Jambo said:
Calm Sands said:
Danbo Jambo said:

That's fair and perfectly understandable. For me, there's just not enough games in this new Generation to warrant me getting a console.

Most of the X1 exclusive get sent to PC within the same year as release. And a lot of PS4 games I'm interested in will probably get ported over to the PS Vita with more content (looking at you Persona 5). That and with the rate that Japanese titles are hitting the PC (MGS 5), and the rate that games like Final Fantasy are seeing PC ports, I can't justify getting a new console.

I like Japanese console games better than a lot of Western Titles and we're seeing a lot of very good PS3/PS4 games getting good ports.

And a wireless HDMI set up in my home makes PC gaming on my couch just as valid of an option for couch play as console gaming.
Can't fault you mate.

What I'll likely do is get what's now a top spec PC in 3-5 years time, and have a nice catch up on the games I've not played in the meantime.

I'm sort of doing that now via steam with games such as Jagged Alience, but I do seem to keep running into install/play issues unfortunately.

kilenem

Jul 21, 2013
Pretty underwhelming. If the X1 and PS4 were backwards completable it probably make so many games of these HD releases useless.

The Wii U doesn't have any Killer apps like Wii bowling. That made you want to have the tech in the system. My friend broke the thumb stick on his wii u so his wii U is freaking useless. Even though most games don't even need the game pad. Nintendo is charging a 100 to just to repair the thumb stick. I hope they update the system so you don't need the game pad or you can substitute the New 3DS as the game pad.

The Vita is a great peace of tech but Sony is to broke to properly support it. The only saving grace this generation seems to be the 3DS but its running into the same thing the X1 and PS4 are doing. Just a bunch of re-releases. I am digging Code Name steam and Monster hunter 4 seems legit. Unfortunately their doesn't seem to be any reason to own a New 3DS because Xenoblade is just a remake which you can go buy the Wii Copy of instead upgrading since it would be cheaper. Amiibo support is nice if Nintendo actually made enough of them. I don't see why Smash Brothers 3ds doesn't support the Circle pad pro.

AzrealMaximillion

Jan 20, 2010
Danbo Jambo said:
Can't fault you mate.

What I'll likely do is get what's now a top spec PC in 3-5 years time, and have a nice catch up on the games I've not played in the meantime.

I'm sort of doing that now via steam with games such as Jagged Alience, but I do seem to keep running into install/play issues unfortunately.
That's fair man. And with old school games, I'd shy away from Steam versions. Go with GOG. They actually make sure older games are configured to modern systems.

WhiteNachos

Jul 25, 2014
zumbledum said:
utter disappointments havent bothered to buy any yet, honestly not expecting to either. there just so far behind where PC is at now i find it hard to imagine going back that far performance wise
Performance isn't everything.
You can find indie games that have deliberately retro graphics or just aren't the cutting edge that are a lot of fun.

And there's also exclusives like smash bros.

zumbledum

Nov 13, 2011
WhiteNachos said:
zumbledum said:
utter disappointments havent bothered to buy any yet, honestly not expecting to either. there just so far behind where PC is at now i find it hard to imagine going back that far performance wise
Performance isn't everything.
You can find indie games that have deliberately retro graphics or just aren't the cutting edge that are a lot of fun.

And there's also exclusives like smash bros.

Yep your quite right , my bad i didnt explain the full thought process. i mean to me the entire point of a console is to offer performance cheaply (under cost in fact) with the cost recouped from licence fees going forwards, and as this generation is the first to not do that meaning you can buy better performance on pc for the same or less money and not get reamed by a licence fee on every game going forward the entire generation to me seems utterly pointless.

i would never buy a console for an exclusive i hate exclusives its monopoly power abuse , anti consumer etc and as they tend to mostly be triple A 's it leads us right back to having to play them on something that cant really run them which just annoys the hell out of me.

and i cant think of an indie game i want i cant get on PC

but having said all that if i ever get a TV again i might pick up a wii-u

CannibalCorpses

Aug 21, 2011
I haven't seen a single game worth the cost yet...it's been shiny graphics and no gameplay from my perspective. Even the PC market has been crap for the last few years. I've had to resort to going back to table top gaming where at least my brain is needed...

Danbo Jambo

Sep 26, 2014
AzrealMaximillion said:
Danbo Jambo said:
Can't fault you mate.

That's fair man. And with old school games, I'd shy away from Steam versions. Go with GOG. They actually make sure older games are configured to modern systems.
I've been meaning to check GOG out for some time now, so thanks for the further encouragement mate, that's a route I'll definitely try if it means less messing about :)

baddude1337

Taffer
Jun 9, 2010
Danbo Jambo said:
AzrealMaximillion said:
Danbo Jambo said:
Can't fault you mate.

I've been meaning to check GOG out for some time now, so thanks for the further encouragement mate, that's a route I'll definitely try if it means less messing about :)
You get a bunch of free old games just for signing up, so it's worth getting an account just for that. At least I think you do, I got a bunch of random ones when I signed up last year.

Danbo Jambo

Sep 26, 2014
baddude1337 said:
You get a bunch of free old games just for signing up, so it's worth getting an account just for that. At least I think you do, I got a bunch of random ones when I signed up last year.
will be signing up tonight :)

AzrealMaximillion

Jan 20, 2010
baddude1337 said:
Danbo Jambo said:
AzrealMaximillion said:
Danbo Jambo said:
Can't fault you mate.

If you ever need a bit of help with PC gaming send me a PM :). I know a bit and am friends with a lot of knowledgeable PC gamers. All Master Race jokes aside, its a pretty helpful community if you look in the right places.

joest01

Apr 15, 2009
If it was backwards compatible I would have a ps4 since launch. Even just to get rid of the cooling fan noise of my trusty phat ps3. In terms of games though there is not enough there to warrant the investment. Well I guess if my ps3 backlog wasnt so massive it might be a different situation. Take Bloodborne. How can I play Bloodborne if I have not done a champions run of dks2?

The WiiU was an easy decision. First of all it's backwards compatible. And of course Bayonetta2 needed to be played and a better version of Bayonetta1 to come with it was sugar on top (played it on ps3 before). Mario Kart is very fun for a casual racing game player like me. And Devil's Third is out soon.

Chester Rabbit

Dec 7, 2011
Wasted potential. Just as I thought so it all still seems unecessary just like I was saying two years ago when people were demanding the end to the 7th. All that was ever going to be improved were the graphics because that's all that sells them games.

Instead of using this hardware to truly advance gaming. improve AI, make worlds bigger, improve how they react to player choice and how we can interact with them. But heh nope. As long as we can see a ripple on a hot air balloon as we scale down it (The Order). Or put more bones in Nathan Drakes face, that's all that matters.

scotth266

Wait when did I get a sub
Jan 10, 2009
The only real console I was interested in was a Wii U (mostly because my family had yet to own a Nintendo console, and with their virtual market it'd be a good opportunity to play some classic Nintendo titles). Now that we have one (new Smash is excellent) I have no real interest in more consoles. The number of exclusive titles is simply too small: most games I can just play on my computer. It sucks to miss out on stuff like Bloodborne, Halo 4, and Infamous: Second Son but them's the breaks.

TelHybrid

May 16, 2009
Well the first 8th gen console I bought was the OUYA. The less said about that thing, the better.

Last year I built a new gaming PC, the first new build since 2007. AMD FX 8350 Watercooled., Nvidia GTX 770, 8GB 2100MHZ DDR3 RAM.
The first game I played through on this new system was Wolfenstein The New Order. This game felt like a hark back to shooters of the 90s with the handling refinements of today. The whole story and world built around it was cleverly simple. The gameplay was nothing innovative, but a brilliant example of old conventions applied effectively.

I have since finishing this been dabbling with a few other new gen games like Far Cry 4, Alien Isolation, and Shadow of Mordor. All of these have been great fun and my biggest struggle is choosing which to focus my attention on. I've also been enjoying some indie titles, most notable Distance, Toxikk and A Story About My Uncle. Two of those games are early access, and they've restored my faith in the whole early access system (despite all the crap on there).

If you're a fan of Unreal Tournament or Quake, then I highly recommend Toxikk.

I also bought a Wii U earlier this year. The first game I got for it was Mario Kart 8. It's my go-to game for a quick muck about. It's beautiful, fun, and the DLC is fantastic too. I've also been playing a fair bit of Mario platforming, NSMBU and NSLU, and SM3D World. Super Mario 3D World is a bit too easy at times, but collecting the green stars and stamps adds the necessary challenge. The New SMB/SLU games are definitely more challenging.
Sonic Lost World made it onto my collection. Honestly... it's not bad. It's not amazing either. I much prefer Generations.
Super Smash Bros U has beaten Melee off the top spot for me. Melee's gameplay in HD with a larger character roster at 60fps. I'm very happy with that.
Finally, ZombiU. This particularly surprised me as I saw it in a bargain bin for £8. It's the most atmospheric game I have played in years. The unique game mechanic (which I don't want to give away as it's a nice surprise) is very clever.

I almost forgot handhelds. My 3DS goes everywhere with me. My most played game on it is Final Fantasy Theatrhythm Curtain Call. If you have a 3DS and a spare £15, it's so worth it. I haven't enjoyed a rhythm game this much since Gitaroo Man.

Bit of an observation, currently if you have either a PC, Xbone or PS4, it's not worth owning more than 1 of these three. Neither of the three have enough exclusives in my opinion to warrant owning more than one, at least not yet.

masticina

Jan 19, 2011
I don't own any of these yet.

My reasoning is as follows. I own a nice game pc with a decent video card, enough memory, a more then capable processor, SSD and so on. And I have access to Steam so you know what for most games the PC is awesome.

That leaves consoles, certain experiences are more fitting consoles right. I should love those moments on the couch with a controller in my hand. As I have done quite a long while, owning the PS3, PS2, Wii, Gamecube etc. They are pretty awesome!

But these new consoles don't seem to offer anything that special. Well maybe I am wrong on that sentence.

The 3DS seems to be full of great little titles and big titles of games worth playing. So that is worth buying
And the WiiU, crazy as it sounds, weak as it might be, has game titles that are quite different from what you can find on the PC.

Where the PS4 and the Xbox One are so like a PC that its titles are so able to run on a PC if made for it. That it makes you question why you should own one.

The WiiU is the odd one out and in a good and bad way. Yes it is not as we hoped but it has games that you only can find on that console. Good games! Interesting Games! Games that are about FUN not about how many polygons one can push out. Again a difference with some other titles [Ahum, The Order 1886]

Though one thing is sure, the WiiU will never get the titles the PS4 and the Xbox One will get. Equally those titles it never gets probably will hit PC in a DEFINITIVE version that looks better and plays better. Where with the WiiU the games definitely won't hit the PC.

So in my view the WiiU, even though I don't own it yet, is worth owning. Because it just might have enough titles worth to make it it special enough to own.

PrimitiveJudge

Aug 14, 2012
Back in the day I used to own a PS2 for like 2 years. Never again will I own a PS product because to this day I still don't know where triangle, square and circle are on the controller (fuck you Sony).

OT: I am a Xbox fan so I traded my 360 for a Xbone. I absolutely love the fact that the game does not shut off when the console shuts off, although I am not a huge fan of unplugging the thing from the wall once a week so everything can run faster. Playing games like Witcher 3, GTAV, FC4 basically any game that drags you in and gets you hooked, will burn through your controller batteries like no other. 8 batteries for $5.00 at CVS, I go there for batteries twice a month.

I pretty much stopped dealing with Nintendo after the DSlite and N64. For a while I was into PC games ever since Diablo series, Starcraft, Everquest 1 and 2 and 3 months of WoW. Now the only games on PC I even bother with are once that look really fun that famous Youtubers play. I am a Microsoft guy.