Your thoughts on Halo 4?

mitchell271

Sep 3, 2010
I don't have it because my 360 is at home and I'm in res :(
From what I've played and seen though, the multiplayer is still Halo. It feels like Halo and it doesn't take itself too seriously but they took out one thing that I really didn't like: you don't have to find the weapons any more. There are arrows pointing you to them and you can spawn weapons to you. The campaign looks good though.

DAAANtheMAAAN

Sep 5, 2011
Everything I've liked about Halo is here. I'm always in an fps for the story over the multiplayer, and as far as I'm concerned this is one of the best stories to come around in Halo. 343's slowly fleshing out the Chief's personality with dialogue and added stakes as important and more interesting than a 4th outbreak of space zombies (5th, counting Halo Wars).
The way the game looks and the music are both breathtaking. I honestly sat at the title screen for about 10 minutes listening to the music, trying to get a feel for Neil Davidge's composing. I like it a lot, and his subtle use of the classic theme was incredibly well done.

But on multiplayer, I'm alright with it. It still feels and plays like Halo, even with the extra fluff thrown in. The exp, loadout and ordinance stuff is an interesting addition for someone like me who never bothered with COD outside of COD4's campaign, but I can see how all of it would miff the hardcore multiplayer fans.

Overall, I really like it. It has flaws and everything about the game is made and marketed as the start of a new trilogy, but 343 has me pleasantly surprised.

dementis

Aug 28, 2009
Please tell me there is a choice to play classic halo multiplayer on there. I loved the fighting for the power weapons and how everyone started off on even footing, I haven't played reach in a while but from what I remember there was a classic option in multiplayer. Battlefield and CoD can keep their load-out bull crap.

Sonic Doctor

Time Lord / Whack-A-Newbie!
Jan 9, 2010
Akalabeth said:
Sonic Doctor said:
I'm playing on Legendary.
As I say, the Banshee took about 3 shots to down with the Binary Rifle. But it is the Binary rifle, not the sniper rifle. So I imagine it does a lot more damage. It certainly does a lot more damage to me as I get one-shot by the damn thing all the time.
Just so you know, the Binary rifle is a sniper rifle, just that it is the Promethean version. It has super long range, and kills the tough enemies like Elites and Promethean Knights in two shots, no matter where you hit them. In Halo terms, that is a sniper rifle.

The reason you are getting one-shot by the thing is because you are playing on Legendary. Enemy weapons fire will do at least twice the normal damage to you in that mode. This means that since it is a sniper rifle, it is doing twice that type of damage, so the enemy will kill you in one shot if you are hit, if not one shot to the body, then one shot to the head.

mitchell271 said:
I don't have it because my 360 is at home and I'm in res :(
From what I've played and seen though, the multiplayer is still Halo. It feels like Halo and it doesn't take itself too seriously but they took out one thing that I really didn't like: you don't have to find the weapons any more. There are arrows pointing you to them and you can spawn weapons to you. The campaign looks good though.
I for one think that the "I'm over here" arrow to point out where weapons on the map spawn is downright stupid.

There is absolutely no reason for it, since in Halo, weapon spawns on maps were always fixed so after only a couple matches on a map, you automatically know where all the weapons spawn. And from what I can tell, this is still true, because one map I played twice and the SAW was in the exact same cave tunnel, and the incendiary was in the same spot near one of the edges of the map.

All this arrow does now is create more cluster fucks than usual around the good weapon spawns.

Before, not everybody would go for the power weapons in the middle of a match because they figured that somebody might have already taken it. This means that the people that go for it anyway have less people to contend with to get the weapon.

But now, there is that "oh so wonderful" white pointer that shows exactly what kind of gun it is, so then everybody and their cousins know where it is and that it hasn't been taken yet, so then everybody and their cousins is going to go after it at the same time.

This makes the game less tactical and more run and gun with a giant group blood bath every minute or so when the power weapon respawns.

I don't see how people don't see that this messes with the game's balance, just as linking weapon drops to kills also messes the balance up as well.

Sonic Doctor

Time Lord / Whack-A-Newbie!
Jan 9, 2010
dementis said:
Please tell me there is a choice to play classic halo multiplayer on there. I loved the fighting for the power weapons and how everyone started off on even footing, I haven't played reach in a while but from what I remember there was a classic option in multiplayer. Battlefield and CoD can keep their load-out bull crap.
From what I've seen, no. Not until they bring back team SWAT as they said they would. Though they also said that such game types will be on a rotation, so you won't be able to play them just whenever you want to.

Other than Flood, I haven't played in any other game types that supersede the load-out system with predetermined load-outs for the game type.

What I don't like is that there is no proper 8 player free-for-all game type that all the other Halos had.

The only free-for-all games there are right now are Flood and Regicide. Flood is basically Zombies, except that the Spartans and Flood both get a choice between three predetermined load-outs with different powers. Also, instead of looking like Zombies, the "Zombies" look like Human Flood.

Regicide is basically a 6 player king of the hill style game, except there is no hill, and a player is randomly named king in the beginning, and players get 10 points for kills on regular players, and the king is worth anywhere between 15 points to 30 or more. The king kill point count goes up if the king kills a player. So the better the player the king is, the more the king is worth to kill. You also get 5 points for assisting in a king kill.

Since you mentioned you don't like the CoD-esque changes, you aren't going to like that all the games aren't really based on kills any more. You still get to see your kill/death count at the end. But winning in games isn't based just on the amount of kills you get. Like CoD, when you get a kill, it is worth a certain amount of points, and you sometimes get more points for a kill, depending on the type of kill it is.

343 really dropped the Grifball on the multiplayer.

VeneratedWulfen93

Oct 3, 2011
They ruined Elites and generally toned down the difficulty. I was gobsmacked when I checked my campaign clear time and it said 2 hours and 9 minutes. Seriously.

Multiplayer is good but I don't believe that the presicion weapons should be selectable on spawn as they change the Halo skill and timing gameplay into CoD style 'who shoots first wins'

On to the Elites....they are bitches now. Easier to kill than any other Halo game and with worse AI. They don't seem as aggresive or relentless as they used to be and they are dropped far too easily. Elites used to be my 'Oh shit Elites, this fight is gonna be good' enemy because of the challenge they offered. Now the only slightly dangerous ones are the ones with Fuel Rod Cannons. Basicaly 343 was like 'Hurr Durr we have new enemies so lets make Elites seem worse in comparison'.

I'm enjoying the game but my favourite video game enemy is gone. Please let us see more of the Arbiter or something in 5 to make up for it.

J Tyran

Dec 15, 2011
Terminate421 said:
Also I miss the sounds on some of the other things (NO WARTHOG ENGINE?!)
The Warthog engine was the only thing I disliked about the game, the Warthog is supposed to be powered by Hydrogen generating fuel cells that power a turbine that burns a mix of Hydrogen, Silicon and Carbon. In past games it sounded like a funky scifi engine.

In Halo 4 they made it sound like a monster truck :/

dementis

Aug 28, 2009
Sonic Doctor said:
dementis said:
From what I've seen, no. Not until they bring back team SWAT as they said they would. Though they also said that such game types will be on a rotation, so you won't be able to play them just whenever you want to.

Other than Flood, I haven't played in any other game types that supersede the load-out system with predetermined load-outs for the game type.

What I don't like is that there is no proper 8 player free-for-all game type that all the other Halos had.

The only free-for-all games there are right now are Flood and Regicide. Flood is basically Zombies, except that the Spartans and Flood both get a choice between three predetermined load-outs with different powers. Also, instead of looking like Zombies, the "Zombies" look like Human Flood.

Regicide is basically a 6 player king of the hill style game, except there is no hill, and a player is randomly named king in the beginning, and players get 10 points for kills on regular players, and the king is worth anywhere between 15 points to 30 or more. The king kill point count goes up if the king kills a player. So the better the player the king is, the more the king is worth to kill. You also get 5 points for assisting in a king kill.

Since you mentioned you don't like the CoD-esque changes, you aren't going to like that all the games aren't really based on kills any more. You still get to see your kill/death count at the end. But winning in games isn't based just on the amount of kills you get. Like CoD, when you get a kill, it is worth a certain amount of points, and you sometimes get more points for a kill, depending on the type of kill it is.

343 really dropped the Grifball on the multiplayer.
May have to just play the campaign and check out Spartan-ops, then go back to Halo 3 for my multiplayer fix. I thought the multiplayer looked very CoD-esque in the trailers and I've never really liked and/or enjoyed that particular series of games.