Your (underrated) GotY 2012

The Madman

Dec 7, 2007
Crusader Kings 2 will almost without doubt not win a single popular 'GOTY' award due to its nature as a hardcore strategy title, which is a shame because for many fans of said hardcore strategy genre it's one of the best and most unique games released in years.

Goofguy

Nov 25, 2010
DustyDrB said:
Well, my actual game of the year is Mark of the Ninja. So...it still applies.
Just started it after getting on the Steam Autumn Sale. Don't know if it's my overall GotY but it's definitely a contender, what a great game.

DustyLion

Jun 8, 2011
X-Com enemy unknown. Every friend I've convinced to try it turns out loving it. I really wish this one hadn't slipped so far below the radar.

nomzy

Jan 29, 2010
XCOM: Enemy Unknown and Spec Ops: The Line. Although they're not that underrated, I just don't think they're very popular.

JEBWrench

Apr 23, 2009
The Madman said:
Crusader Kings 2 will almost without doubt not win a single popular 'GOTY' award due to its nature as a hardcore strategy title, which is a shame because for many fans of said hardcore strategy genre it's one of the best and most unique games released in years.
wombat_of_war said:
ones off the public radar as a rule for personal GOTY would be crusader kings 2 and jagged alliance back in action
It was already my personal GOTY, but does it really count as underrated? I suppose since it has a niche appeal, it would?

Racecarlock

Jul 10, 2010
Need For Speed Most Wanted 2. I played a 15 minute demo and I swear to god it was like riding a roller coaster while on a sugar rush. The chases are still fast paced, the driving is way better, and they actually have a rewarding exploration mechanic wherein you can just find the car you want and switch into it. Awesome. If only the damn demo had a "Skip this shit" button for the damn opening.

Scipio1770

Oct 3, 2010
I agree with nomzy on spec ops: the line, never played a game that broke the fourth wall so perfectly.

Thomas Bingham

Jan 30, 2011
I think I've known since March that my GotY was going to be Mass Effect 3 (with original ending). While it's far too big of a name to be considered an unknown, what with all of that "stuff" and "noise" being made shortly after its release I figured it wouldn't be getting the nearly the recognition it deserves come this time of year.

deathbydeath

Jun 28, 2010
Shinsei-J said:
Journey because, yeah, Journey.
Haven't played it? PLAY IT!
Runner up for me is Skullgirls, after that whole sexism controversy it didn't really get any love.
Me play Journey? Nope, no PS3.

Also, I would've played (and probably liked) Skullgirls, but it hasn't come out on pc yet. Boo.

OP: Hotline Miami was good, but I don't think I've played any other game this year other than Dishonored, and that game had the thematic focus of a dead cow.

Thomas Bingham said:
I think I've known since March that my GotY was going to be Mass Effect 3 (with original ending). While it's far too big of a name to be considered an unknown, what with all of that "stuff" and "noise" being made shortly after its release I figured it wouldn't be getting the nearly the recognition it deserves come this time of year.
Boo, that game was terrible. Ignoring the ending, it was still poopy.

Baldry

Feb 11, 2009
SPEC OPS: THE LINE. I will not rest till everyone has played this game.

Honourable mention to Dragons Dogma.

Zetona

Dec 20, 2008
While it was released for mobile devices last year, it didn't hit PCs till this year, so I've gotta say my GotY so far is Superbrothers: Sword and Sworcery EP. Admittedly, the only other games I've played this year that were actually released in 2012 are Journey, Alan Wake's American Nightmare, Solar 2, and Penny Arcade's Rain-Slick 3. They're all fine games and worth playing (especially since they're all cut-price offerings), though. And Superbrothers is a great game in its own right, with great writing and one of the best soundtracks it has ever been my pleasure to hear.

DazZ.

Elite Member
Jun 4, 2009
Zetona said:
my GotY so far is Superbrothers: Sword and Sworcery EP.
What's the appeal of that game? Did I completely miss something as it's the only game this year I've had to just stop playing and never touch due to being unfathomably dull.

PrimitiveJudge

Aug 14, 2012
My vote goes to Dragons Dogma, this game is well made and Everfall is fucking hard as hell, Still to this date I have ever defeated the hydra. HATE that fight.

Cabisco

May 7, 2009
Baldry said:

Is it really that good? I see people occasionally write posts about it being surprisingly good but I've never had the urge to try it beyond a small demo I tried where I wasn't really impressed. Can you perhaps (if it's no bother) try to sell it to me?

As for mine, Mass Effect 3. Hated by all because of 15 minutes at the end of a 30 hour game. Yes the ending was bad but it didn't stop me having an amazing time up until that point, hell I got teary on more than one occasion during my play through.

SuperSuperSuperGuy

Jun 19, 2010
My vote goes to Katawa Shoujo. It's a masterpiece, considering its premise, history and budget of zero dollars.

At the very least, listen to the soundtrack. It's amazing. Easily one of my favourites, ever.

Baldry

Feb 11, 2009
Demon ID said:
Baldry said:

Is it really that good? I see people occasionally write posts about it being surprisingly good but I've never had the urge to try it beyond a small demo I tried where I wasn't really impressed. Can you perhaps (if it's no bother) try to sell it to me?
Well, I can't just try and sell it to you because that's against it's point, if I say anything about it it could ruin the effect of the game, which sounds awfully melodramatic but it's kinda like going to see the Sixth sense and knowing Bruce Willis is dead (If somehow you didn't know this then my god I am sorry.)

Anyway I reckon it's probably quite cheap nowadays so you should be able to pick it up for like £20 at the most.

Cabisco

May 7, 2009
Baldry said:
Demon ID said:
Baldry said:

Well, I can't just try and sell it to you because that's against it's point, if I say anything about it it could ruin the effect of the game, which sounds awfully melodramatic but it's kinda like going to see the Sixth sense and knowing Bruce Willis is dead (If somehow you didn't know this then my god I am sorry.)

Anyway I reckon it's probably quite cheap nowadays so you should be able to pick it up for like £20 at the most.

Screw it, I'll trust you, just this once. :)

Once I find a cheap copy/have disposable income I'll get it and perhaps join you in thinking it's underrated. Or curse you forever.