Your video game hot take(s) thread

RhombusHatesYou

Surreal Estate Agent
Mar 21, 2010
Between There and There.
Country
The Wide, Brown One.
Honestly I got the impression that was happening ANYWAY in Mass Effect 2 because by the end of the game the only people with any power to stop it are Tali and Zal’Korris and they get outvoted by Shala’Raan, Xen and Han’Gerral. And be honest; how difficult would it be to whip the migrant fleet populous into a war footing if the promised prize is the Homeworld?

Dumb as dogshit is right, but it wasn’t exactly a surprise.
No surprise at all... and if it was supposed to lead to some massive moral dilema about which side/race to save, the writers fucked it up by allowing you to unify both sides by shouting.

Dalisclock

Making lemons combustible again
Legacy
Escapist +
Feb 9, 2008
A Barrel In the Marketplace
Country
Eagleland
No surprise at all... and if it was supposed to lead to some massive moral dilema about which side/race to save, the writers fucked it up by allowing you to unify both sides by shouting.
What's wierd that if you do unify them, it doesn't do jack to Convince the Reapers, which apparently is the entire reason they started this who affair in the first place. Instead, the Reapers just kinda give up because you reached their RGB room.

Reactions: Specter Von Baren

RhombusHatesYou

Surreal Estate Agent
Mar 21, 2010
Between There and There.
Country
The Wide, Brown One.
What's wierd that if you do unify them, it doesn't do jack to Convince the Reapers, which apparently is the entire reason they started this who affair in the first place. Instead, the Reapers just kinda give up because you reached their RGB room.
Not even they wanted to have to sit through that scene again.

BrawlMan

Lover of beat'em ups.
Legacy
Mar 10, 2016
Detroit, Michigan
Country
United States of America
This relates to the Stanley Parable discussion Critical had put up earlier. I despise any game where the creator's whole point is "everything is pointless". You are not smart, nor thought-provoking for making fun of people who like having choices, options, multiple story paths, or collectibles in gaming. You're just another jackass that likes to smell their own farts.

This goes double for Hotline Miami 2. It's not some "misunderstood masterpiece", as some recent YouTubers have claimed. It's a lazy cash grab, that has the same issues as the last game, but even worse in terms of gameplay. The same door glitch that they refused to fix, and too much fake difficulty with enemies be able to see you off screen and shoot at you. The story does the whole everything is pointless and double downs on the nihilism. The characters even do that whole make fun of the player for trying to find any meaning or anything extra. I bought the game after completing the original and getting the true ending. I got halfway through, and it was not worth playing, so I YouTubed the rest. Glad I did. I later deleted the game, cuz I had no interest in playing. There are many clones in the genre that are better than HLM2.

Last edited:

Specter Von Baren

Annoying Green Gadfly
Legacy
Aug 25, 2013
I don't know, send help!
Country
USA
This relates to the Stanley Parable critical ad put up earlier, but I despise any game where the creator's whole point is "everything is pointless". You are not smart, nor thought-provoking for making fun of people who like having choices, options, multiple story pass, or collectibles in gaming. You're just another jackass that likes to smell their own farts.

This goes double for Hotline Miami 2. It's not some "misunderstood masterpiece", as some recent YouTubers have claimed. It's a lazy cash grab, that has the same issues as the last game, but even worse in terms of gameplay. The same door glitch that they refused to fix, and too much fake difficulty with enemies be able to see you off screen and shoot at you. The story does the whole everything is pointless and double downs on the nihilism. The characters even do that whole make fun of the player for trying to find any meaning or anything extra. I bought the game after completing the original and getting a true ending for the original. I got through halfway through, and it was not worth playing so I YouTube the rest. Glad I did. I later deleted the game, cuz I no one had any interest in playing. There are many clones in the genre that are better than HLM2.
Mm. Too many people go into deconstructions and forget that you can't just be a deconstruction. It's fine to tear down a building that's gotten old and could be dangerous to go in, but you also gotta build something in its place so people still have shelter.

BrawlMan

Lover of beat'em ups.
Legacy
Mar 10, 2016
Detroit, Michigan
Country
United States of America
Mm. Too many people go into deconstructions and forget that you can't just be a deconstruction. It's fine to tear down a building that's gotten old and could be dangerous to go in, but you also gotta build something in its place so people still have shelter.
I know the idea of deconstruction wasn't anything new in video games (MGS2 gives a big hello), but ever since the original Bioshock, nearly everyone in the gaming sphere had a deconstruction boner. It was more so noticeable, in the early to mid 2010s. 2012 to 2014 seem to be where everyone try to do a deconstruction of some type, or go out of their way to insult their target audience in the worst possible way. Just because you are a deconstruction, doesn't automatically make you good. Let alone a masterpiece.

It's the same damn thing that happened with Evangelion. I heavily dislike the franchise, but I hate most of its clones even more. There was a period in the mid to late nineties and some of the early 2000s, where everyone was still trying to deconstruct every part of anime. No matter the genre or sub genre. Everyone was getting in on it with some type of fashion. Even Digimon got in on it with Tamers, but that is actually good, it was written by people that cared about what they were making.

Last edited:

BrawlMan

Lover of beat'em ups.
Legacy
Mar 10, 2016
Detroit, Michigan
Country
United States of America

This one comes from no politician, but a game dev.

Just....why?
Just another game developer that wants to hear the sound of their own voice and get high off of their own farts. Another asshole trying to be "enlightening, wise, and intellectual". This biatch knows he's full of shit, but wants to pretend that he's not.

Last edited:

FakeSympathy

Elite Member
Legacy
Jun 8, 2015
Country
US

On the other side, we have POS like this (the person IN THE VIDEO, not the person who made the tweet). Like, the words are already bad enough, but the POS chose to say this stuff with everything happening right now. He's making rest of the sane gaming community look bad.

Then again, this is a "professional" Fortnite player we're talking about. Wouldn't be surprised if there are worse people than this guy in FN community

Reactions: BrawlMan

FakeSympathy

Elite Member
Legacy
Jun 8, 2015
Country
US
I'm trying really hard to find other ridiculous hot takes, but this is all I'm seeing these days.

Now we're bringing rap music into this lol. I feel terrible and angry about the incident, and these morons are really pouring gasoline to that.

Xprimentyl

Made you look...
Legacy
Aug 13, 2011
Plano, TX
Country
United States
I'm trying really hard to find other ridiculous hot takes, but this is all I'm seeing these days.

Now we're bringing rap music into this lol. I feel terrible and angry about the incident, and these morons are really pouring gasoline to that.
"The goddamn blacks and their incoherent rhyming! Think of the children!"

Just once, ONE TIME, I'd like one of these conservatives pointing at exterior factors for "changing" people into monsters would recognize those they believe have been "changed," by far and away, by orders of magnitude, are the exceptions, and think "Hmm, maybe mental health, our education system and wealth disparity might be slightly more contributing factors than entertainment that literally millions upon millions of people consume every day without the slightest inclination towards violence." But why would they do that? They're pandering to their base which believes themselves never at fault or remotely responsible; it's always someone/thing else that dunt done it. Couldn't have been their cramming the Bible and outdated conservative virtues down the throats of disaffected youths who deal in a different reality every day, of course not...

BrawlMan

Lover of beat'em ups.
Legacy
Mar 10, 2016
Detroit, Michigan
Country
United States of America
Last edited:

hanselthecaretaker

My flask is half full
Legacy
Nov 18, 2010
"The goddamn blacks and their incoherent rhyming! Think of the children!"

Just once, ONE TIME, I'd like one of these conservatives pointing at exterior factors for "changing" people into monsters would recognize those they believe have been "changed," by far and away, by orders of magnitude, are the exceptions, and think "Hmm, maybe mental health, our education system and wealth disparity might be slightly more contributing factors than entertainment that literally millions upon millions of people consume every day without the slightest inclination towards violence." But why would they do that? They're pandering to their base which believes themselves never at fault or remotely responsible; it's always someone/thing else that dunt done it. Couldn't have been their cramming the Bible and outdated conservative virtues down the throats of disaffected youths who deal in a different reality every day, of course not...
Gotta wonder how much their ignorance has only exacerbated and perpetuated the root issues at play here. They live in their own bubble, which ironically is often also ripe with their own brand of dysfunction.

Xprimentyl

Made you look...
Legacy
Aug 13, 2011
Plano, TX
Country
United States
Gotta wonder how much their ignorance has only exacerbated and perpetuated the root issues at play here. They live in their own bubble, which ironically is often also ripe with their own brand of dysfunction.
When their head stays in the sand believing everyone who doesn't align with them is wrong, and they ignore the myriad issues affecting our society including those of their core beliefs that have been lapped by the progress of our collective, INCLUSIVE culture... yeah, I think it's fair to say their brand of willful dismissiveness might exacerbate and perpetuate the root issues at play. But when those in power use politics like a business and not like a platform for due change, what else can you expect? You can't sell snake oil when you disclaim before each sales event that it doesn't do a goddamn thing, or worse, is actually harmful.

Specter Von Baren

Annoying Green Gadfly
Legacy
Aug 25, 2013
I don't know, send help!
Country
USA

On the other side, we have POS like this (the person IN THE VIDEO, not the person who made the tweet). Like, the words are already bad enough, but the POS chose to say this stuff with everything happening right now. He's making rest of the sane gaming community look bad.

Then again, this is a "professional" Fortnite player we're talking about. Wouldn't be surprised if there are worse people than this guy in FN community
I'm more baffled by the comment of "Actually insane that people like this exist in the space". Like, dude... It's Fortnite. Last I checked it has one of the biggest playerbases around and I've seen nothing about it that indicates it's a community of proffessional, mild mannered, and ethically and mentally sound people.

Old_Hunter_77

Elite Member
Dec 29, 2021
Country
United States
I'm too old for video games already.

So in the Elden Ring I'm bitching and moaning constanty about how the enemies fly around from every angle and everything is too fast and dizzying and I don't know what's going on. I figured it was just Elden Ring, playing way too much into the whole difficulty thing.

But then I'm playing Horizon: Forbidden West and it's the same thing. I'm trying to hide in high grass and I forget which button to press to and 6 machines see me and start jumping at me from every which way I can't see any more. Projectiles and angles and lights I have no idea what's going. They tell me to scan for weaknesses but they're moving too fast for me to scan and even if I do it takes me forever to find the right arrow or whatever for that weakness in my stupid weapon wheel. Meanwhile Aloy is getting tossed around like raw pizza dough.

This is what video games are now... too much visual input for my old man brain to process.

And this why every game should have an Easy mode, an opinion I completely changed my mind on over that last month.

Part of being a crochety old man is demanding the world bend to my out-dated preferencas, so I demand that video games let me progress without dealing with all this crazy everything flying around everywhere nonsense that the kids seem to be into these days.

hanselthecaretaker

My flask is half full
Legacy
Nov 18, 2010

So in the Elden Ring I'm bitching and moaning constanty about how the enemies fly around from every angle and everything is too fast and dizzying and I don't know what's going on. I figured it was just Elden Ring, playing way too much into the whole difficulty thing.

But then I'm playing Horizon: Forbidden West and it's the same thing. I'm trying to hide in high grass and I forget which button to press to and 6 machines see me and start jumping at me from every which way I can't see any more. Projectiles and angles and lights I have no idea what's going. They tell me to scan for weaknesses but they're moving too fast for me to scan and even if I do it takes me forever to find the right arrow or whatever for that weakness in my stupid weapon wheel. Meanwhile Aloy is getting tossed around like raw pizza dough.

This is what video games are now... too much visual input for my old man brain to process.

And this why every game should have an Easy mode, an opinion I completely changed my mind on over that last month.

Part of being a crochety old man is demanding the world bend to my out-dated preferencas, so I demand that video games let me progress without dealing with all this crazy everything flying around everywhere nonsense that the kids seem to be into these days.

….Wait, how old are you anyways? The “77” doesn’t signify a birth year by chance does it?

Idk, perhaps smaller Indy type games or 2D stuff in general where you don’t have to deal with a camera would be more palatable. I mean, I myself am generally a pretty shit gamer skill-wise too, whether way back during the teen years or even now at 43. Any big gaming feat for me is usually for personal satisfaction only, especially in the days of youtube gamer stars where people bang out better stuff all day.

I still enjoy challenging games, but don’t play specifically for that reason. They have to have other things going for them. MK for instance is a fighting game but also has loads of cool content, so I’ll always be down for that unless they make it a complete GAAS shitfest.

Last edited:

BrawlMan

Lover of beat'em ups.
Legacy
Mar 10, 2016
Detroit, Michigan
Country
United States of America
You are never too old to play video games. It's all the state of mind.

so I demand that video games let me progress without dealing with all this crazy everything flying around everywhere nonsense that the kids seem to be into these days.
Video games have that problem long before Elden Ring or Horizon showed up. It still happens in video games today. You think ER is bad, try playing vanilla Ninja Gaiden II (X360). Even on easy mode, the enemies get huge priorities over the player or unfair advantages.

Reactions: hanselthecaretaker

Old_Hunter_77

Elite Member
Dec 29, 2021
Country
United States
….Wait, how old are you anyways? The “77” doesn’t signify a birth year by chance does it?
Yes it does. And I know I'm not "old" per se but in video game fora and such, I am a bit going on (some stat I read that the "average" gamer is 34 IIRC).

Re: 2D indy, honestly that only goes so far for me. I like 3D games and don't have the kind of nostalgia for 90's that is tied to the look and low-end graphics. I'll play a 2D/indy if it looks really really interesting (Stardew, Nobody Saves the World), but I'd rather "old men yell at clouds" about a modern AAA 3D game then squint my way through some retro whatever.

It's why I like Hidden Gems so much- I will almost never play these games but it's cool to see what they're about.

For some reason I can breeze through Witcher 3 on hardest difficulty. Sure monsters jump around but it's nothing I can't handle. Or games changed, I mean that one came out 7 years ago already.

Reactions: hanselthecaretaker

BrawlMan

Lover of beat'em ups.
Legacy
Mar 10, 2016
Detroit, Michigan
Country
United States of America
but I'd rather "old men yell at clouds" about a modern AAA 3D game then squint my way through some retro whatever.
And I rather play something that makes me happy rather than annoyed, angry, frustrated, and bored. I usually don't have to squint when it comes to retro 2D indie games. I don't love every indie game under the Sun either, but at least they usually take risk or don't try to weight the player down with some bull crap. At least both of them know how to have fun be fun. And it's not just a 2D style ones, there are plenty of 3D style indie games that work fine, play great, and do more than the standard AAA shell price of 60 to 70 💵. Regardless, if it's a game I know I'm not going to like, nor am I going to have fun, I won't even bother wasting money and time on it. I want my time to last you can't even bother with tedious games anymore. There is so much to life, that's some things aren't worth it if they're that shallow or uninteresting.