BrawlMan

Lover of beat'em ups.
Legacy
Mar 10, 2016
Detroit, Michigan
Country
United States of America
For example:
-TOTK dropped a few months back and I still haven't tried it yet.
-BG3 turns out to be pretty good and I really liked DO:2
-Blasphemous 2 just dropped and I adored the Catho-masochism of the first one.
-Armored Core 6 is dropping soon/now.
-Sea of Stars will be out in a week.
I waiting for my GS to open, so I can pick up my copy of AC6. I got games stacked on each other too:

• Bomb Rush Cyberfunk
  • Alan Wake II
  • Mario Wonder
  • Penny's Big Breakaway - Made by the Sonic Mania Team! So that's two Sonic games in the same month!
  • Sonic Superstars
  • Spider-Man 2 (2023) - I am deliberately holding off on this game, because I am more invested in AW II.
Nearly all of the games I am invested in come out within the same month of October or near the end of the month!

Last edited:

BrawlMan

Lover of beat'em ups.
Legacy
Mar 10, 2016
Detroit, Michigan
Country
United States of America
I forgot to mention this back in 2022, but there are people who consider Final Vendetta better than Shredder's Revenge. One of them being a YouTuber user named tetsuo9999. He's a cool guy; no worries. His content mainly focuses on action games and brawlers. I like the guy's content, but he's wrong on that one. If he (and others in his defense) enjoys the combat more, I can see where they're coming from, but FV has its issues. Not to mention, it needed a patch fix the problems with its combat and tone down the overpowered enemies and some bosses.

FV does have a more technical combat system compared to Shredder's Revenge, but the latter gives you way more attack and evasion options, along with actual super moves. Not just if you're super meter is full, your desperation attack won't drain your health. FV makes up for this by having hidden moves the game nor manual tell you. Though once you figure out how to input them, or use the hot keys on the triggers, it becomes a non-issue when you know how to mix the moves up. Also, you can kick people when they're down on the ground! That's a Konami thing in a Capcom-Sega style brawler that looks like a Neo Geo game!

In SR, all of the characters are fun to play. In FV, only 2 out of the 3 selectable characters are fun to play. Miller has his moments to shine, but I do not like playing him, and he is one of my least favorite mighty glacier grappler characters of all time. Not the worst of all time, but you and I have seen better with Boris (Violent Storm) or Max Thunder.

For 2022, the content was lacking for SR. This has changed with the dip switch settings, and is about to change again next week with the DLC. This game is getting a rouge-lite survival mode, and FV is stuck with the bonuses its got: Arcade, Survival, Training (which had to be unlocked by beating the game before the patch update; WTF?!), and Versus Mode. SR has 16 stages, while FV only has 6.The latter is meant to be beaten with a 1CC run, but a couple more levels could have been added, with some more enemy types. Then again, I appreciate the devs for not trying to pad the game this way, but it definitely needed two more enemy types.

FV I am pretty much done with, and got all the trophies on PS4. SR I will jump back into when the DLC drops next week on Thursday.

The soundtracks for both games is 🔥 though! Which you like more boils down to personal preference.

Reactions: NerfedFalcon

NerfedFalcon

Level i Flare!
Mar 23, 2011
I forgot to mention this back in 2022, but there are people who consider Final Vendetta better than Shredder's Revenge. One of them being a YouTuber user named tetsuo9999. He's a cool guy; no worries. His content mainly focuses on action games and brawlers. I like the guy's content, but he's wrong on that one. If he (and others in his defense) enjoys the combat more, I can see where they're coming from, but FV has its issues. Not to mention, it needed a patch fix the problems with its combat and tone down the overpowered enemies and some bosses.

FV does have a more technical combat system compared to Shredder's Revenge, but the latter gives you way more attack and evasion options, along with actual super moves. Not just if you're super meter is full, your desperation attack won't drain your health. FV makes up for this by having hidden moves the game nor manual tell you. Though once you figure out how to input them, or use the hot keys on the triggers, it becomes a non-issue when you know how to mix the moves up. Also, you can kick people when they're down on the ground! That's a Konami thing in a Capcom-Sega style brawler that looks like a Neo Geo game!

In SR, all of the characters are fun to play. In FV, only 2 out of the 3 selectable characters are fun to play. Miller has his moments to shine, but I do not like playing him, and he is one of my least favorite mighty glacier grappler characters of all time. Not the worst of all time, but you and I have seen better with Boris (Violent Storm) or Max Thunder.

For 2022, the content was lacking for SR. This has changed with the dip switch settings, and is about to change again next week with the DLC. This game is getting a rouge-lite survival mode, and FV is stuck with the bonuses its got: Arcade, Survival, Training (which had to be unlocked by beating the game before the patch update; WTF?!), and Versus Mode. SR has 16 stages, while FV only has 6.The latter is meant to be beaten with a 1CC run, but a couple more levels could have been added, with some more enemy types. Then again, I appreciate the devs for not trying to pad the game this way, but it definitely needed two more enemy types.

FV I am pretty much done with, and got all the trophies on PS4. SR I will jump back into when the DLC drops next week on Thursday.

The soundtracks for both games is 🔥 though! Which you like more boils down to personal preference.
Admittedly I kinda bounced off of Final Vendetta, so for me it comes down to a battle between Streets of Rage 4 and Shredder's Revenge:
-Gameplay: SoR4
-Aesthetic: TMNT, but not by a lot
-Music: Even
-Replayability: SoR4 currently but the TMNT DLC might change things here
-What my friends prefer playing for co-op: TMNT

I prefer playing Streets of Rage 4, but I'm definitely getting the Dimension Shellshock DLC, if only for Usagi Yojimbo.

----

ETA: Oh, and just to throw an actual hot take in here: Scott Pilgrim vs The World, The Game was not that good.

Last edited:
Reactions: BrawlMan

BrawlMan

Lover of beat'em ups.
Legacy
Mar 10, 2016
Detroit, Michigan
Country
United States of America
Admittedly I kinda bounced off of Final Vendetta, so for me it comes down to a battle between Streets of Rage 4 and Shredder's Revenge:
-Gameplay: SoR4
-Aesthetic: TMNT, but not by a lot
-Music: Even
-Replayability: SoR4 currently but the TMNT DLC might change things here
-What my friends prefer playing for co-op: TMNT

I prefer playing Streets of Rage 4, but I'm definitely getting the Dimension Shellshock DLC, if only for Usagi Yojimbo.
Both have great aesthetics that I personally enjoy. Though I will give TMNT credit for bringing extra life into idle animations in the way enemies and bosses move. All the robot foot ninjas are giving so much personality and I just doing random things before you encounter them. Streets of Rage 4 does have a few of its own personality touches with some of its enemies and bosses, but barely comes off as mundane by comparison.

SOR4 has so much replayability, because even before the survival update, you had unlockable characters that all play completely differently from each other. Plus, Boss Rush mode got a lot of play time. Before the free training room update, that was the training room. SR does have a lot of good gameplay mechanics, and all the characters do you play differently from each other, but they do share some universal moves. Thankfully, it's only so minor, that it's not a big deal and actually adds to the gameplay, if you have the four turtles on the screen.

The music I considered dead even too. The only soundtrack advantages SOR4 has over SR are dynamic music and musical transitions.

ETA: Oh, and just to throw an actual hot take in here: Scott Pilgrim vs The World, The Game was not that good.
Agreed. The first time I played the Scott Pilgrim game was the demo on xbla. I thought about getting it at some point, the price point was too high for me at the time and I always try to wait for a sale. Then it got removed from the digital stores, so I couldn't play it. When he got re-released back around 2021, I thought of taking it up at some point. In 2022 my brother got it free for game pass. We both got to the second stage and we were already sick and tired of the game and how it functioned. The problem with the game is that it wants to be an rpg, but the level design does not facilitate it, nor does it mesh well. If you're going to take from River City Ransom/Kunio-Kun, you might as well be an open world 2D brawler like that franchise. The game has too much grinding for experience, and there are lousy checkpoints. It's even more pointless to play the game now, because of the River City Girls spinoffs, and older games in the franchise either have been re-released now, or about to be re-released later this year. I know some people already have nostalgia for this game, because it's been over 10 years and it was either their first brawling experience for the younger crowd, or older fans who are really into River City, but outside of emulation and importing, didn't have many of the games, so this was the next best thing. It's ironic that we both say and agree on this, because many of the same people that worked on the Scott Pilgrim game, worked on Shredder's Revenge. You can even tell what the way certain human NPCs are designed in the latter.

Absent

And twice is the only way to live.
Jan 25, 2023
Country
Switzerland
IIRC a lot of the rights to the music in that game expired a few years ago, so unless you’re playing the original release I'm not sure what was really left of it.
Thanks. Solved that.

But really, this should not happen. Neither the intent nor the possibility of removing a game's element for copyright issues should exist. You don't buy a movie and then get its soundtrack altered because the music rights expired. At least you don't yet. I suppose it's the next step in ever-online assholery.

Old_Hunter_77

Elite Member
Dec 29, 2021
Country
United States
This "hot" take is more a corollary of a kind of reminder: video games are long.

No, this isn't about them being "too" long. I'm not saying that- I mean do kind of feel that way but this isn't that familiar argument. I'm just reminding all of us that video games take hours to beat over multiple sessions and that they are tremendous time investments. This is just something to keep in mind as we consider games to play, more importantly to buy, and even more importantly to recommend.

Like if someone says they are not into a certain mechanic or style or genre- and it's based on experience- then don't recommend them a game in that style because it's so good they'll get past it or whatever.

This could work in a movie, a TV show, or a book. Movies are about 2 hours so like for example I LOVE westerns but not everyone does. But I have recommended The Searchers and True Grit to people who swear they hate westerns. Worst comes to worst they lost two hours and all they had to do was sit there and watch it and if they didn't like it, oh well. But if you play 2 hours a game, especially a big game, you don't know anything yet. So another 2, another 2.... come on.

TV shows, even easier. I'm always going around telling people with an Apple+ subscription to watch the first two episodes of For All Mankind. I mean if you don't like it after that, I dunno, we have different ideas of what is a good TV show and that's fine but you don't need to like struggle through some discomfort to make a decision the way you would if, say, you find RTS games intimidating and now you gotta learn a bunch of rules.

Even books- it's trickier because yes, you do need to get invested and it does take more time and multiple reading "sessions," so I recommend books much more sparingly than TV shows. And for some, reading is easier while for some it's games, really depends, know your audience. I know for myself it's easier to "push through" a hundred pages than to figure out how to aim a sniper rifle in CoD.

Obviously this is coming from the various discussions in the Armored Core, Baldur's Gate, and what we're playing now threads and my experience with Everspace 2 and AC6 and Diablo 4.

"Should I play Baldur's Gate 3 even if I don't like turn-based combat?" Well, probably not? "I tried Witcher 3 but couldn't get into it after 10 hours should I start over?" Well, probably not (see I included a game I like to be fair).

This is one of my least coherent posts. Just Monday morning stuff...

BrawlMan

Lover of beat'em ups.
Legacy
Mar 10, 2016
Detroit, Michigan
Country
United States of America
This "hot" take is more a corollary of a kind of reminder: video games are long.

No, this isn't about them being "too" long. I'm not saying that- I mean do kind of feel that way but this isn't that familiar argument. I'm just reminding all of us that video games take hours to beat over multiple sessions and that they are tremendous time investments. This is just something to keep in mind as we consider games to play, more importantly to buy, and even more importantly to recommend.

Like if someone says they are not into a certain mechanic or style or genre- and it's based on experience- then don't recommend them a game in that style because it's so good they'll get past it or whatever.

This could work in a movie, a TV show, or a book. Movies are about 2 hours so like for example I LOVE westerns but not everyone does. But I have recommended The Searchers and True Grit to people who swear they hate westerns. Worst comes to worst they lost two hours and all they had to do was sit there and watch it and if they didn't like it, oh well. But if you play 2 hours a game, especially a big game, you don't know anything yet. So another 2, another 2.... come on.

TV shows, even easier. I'm always going around telling people with an Apple+ subscription to watch the first two episodes of For All Mankind. I mean if you don't like it after that, I dunno, we have different ideas of what is a good TV show and that's fine but you don't need to like struggle through some discomfort to make a decision the way you would if, say, you find RTS games intimidating and now you gotta learn a bunch of rules.

Even books- it's trickier because yes, you do need to get invested and it does take more time and multiple reading "sessions," so I recommend books much more sparingly than TV shows. And for some, reading is easier while for some it's games, really depends, know your audience. I know for myself it's easier to "push through" a hundred pages than to figure out how to aim a sniper rifle in CoD.

Obviously this is coming from the various discussions in the Armored Core, Baldur's Gate, and what we're playing now threads and my experience with Everspace 2 and AC6 and Diablo 4.

"Should I play Baldur's Gate 3 even if I don't like turn-based combat?" Well, probably not? "I tried Witcher 3 but couldn't get into it after 10 hours should I start over?" Well, probably not (see I included a game I like to be fair).

This is one of my least coherent posts. Just Monday morning stuff...
Welcome to the world of gaming or getting invested in nearly any type of thing that's for entertainment or media. I somewhat kid, but that's why I usually recommend short and shorter games. Especially if the person in question doesn't have a lot of time.

Johnny Novgorod

Bebop Man
Legacy
Feb 9, 2012
Sony if they made ICO today:

Yorda (4 seconds after walking into a new area): Wow, this is beautiful! Will you look at that.

Yorda (3 seconds after discovering a raised bridge): Well I guess we're not going that way.

Yorda (5 seconds later): Hey, there's a lever over there [camera dollies up]! Wonder what will happen if you pull it?

Yorda (as soon as Ico pulls up a ledge): Good idea Ico, you should be able to get to that lever by climbing up that windmill.

Yorda (4 seconds into Ico's climbing): You're doing great, Ico! Be careful not to fall!

Ico (panting, halfway there): Halfway there!

Yorda (if you're taking too long): Stop taking so long!

Ico (after catching Yorda after a jump): Not too shabby!

Yorda (giggles): Thanks! You're not so bad yourself!

Ico (10 seconds later): So what's the deal with this queen?

Yorda: It all started in 3087 B.D., when the Five Kingdoms fell to The Blight and surrendered to Maquelkor IV.

Ico's Stick (a sentient comedy sidekick): Aye laddies, I was there.

Last edited:

Old_Hunter_77

Elite Member
Dec 29, 2021
Country
United States
Remember when a Dying Light 2 person said the game has 500 hours and the internet murdered his soul because everybody pretended to hate long games?

Well he is owed an apology. Everything I'm seeing about Baldur's Gate 3 and Starfield are all about how they're so long, so many hours, so much content. Heck, apparently there are people upset that Starfield doesn't have more! (the game isn't out yet, lol)

I know you wanna explain to me now that it's about quantity not just quality "I'd rather have 20 good hours than 500 hours cut 'n' paste" yeah yeah, we all do, that's not the point. The point is that differentiation is absent from these types of comments.

So here's my hot take: people like long games!

Casual Shinji

Should've gone before we left.
Legacy
Jul 18, 2009

Yorda (4 seconds after walking into a new area): Wow, this is beautiful! Will you look at that.

Yorda (3 seconds after discovering a raised bridge): Well I guess we're not going that way.

Yorda (5 seconds later): Hey, there's a lever over there [camera dollies up]! Wonder what will happen if you pull it?

Yorda (as soon as Ico pulls up a ledge): Good idea Ico, you should be able to get to that lever by climbing up that windmill.

Yorda (4 seconds into Ico's climbing): You're doing great, Ico! Be careful not to fall!

Yorda: It all started in 3087 B.D., when the Five Kingdoms fell to The Blight and surrendered to Maquelkor IV.

Ico's Stick (a sentient comedy sidekick): Aye laddies, I was there.
Honestly, if they still spoke frenchanese like in the original... I'd be up for it.

BrawlMan

Lover of beat'em ups.
Legacy
Mar 10, 2016
Detroit, Michigan
Country
United States of America
Remember when a Dying Light 2 person said the game has 500 hours and the internet murdered his soul because everybody pretended to hate long games?

Well he is owed an apology. Everything I'm seeing about Baldur's Gate 3 and Starfield are all about how they're so long, so many hours, so much content. Heck, apparently there are people upset that Starfield doesn't have more! (the game isn't out yet, lol)

I know you wanna explain to me now that it's about quantity not just quality "I'd rather have 20 good hours than 500 hours cut 'n' paste" yeah yeah, we all do, that's not the point. The point is that differentiation is absent from these types of comments.

The people complaining about DL2's 500 hour length, are not the same as the Bethesda fans and possibly the BG3 fans. Remember, that a lot of it doesn't fans will eat anything up, which is why this cycle continues to happen. BG3 fans meanwhile haven't had a game in pretty much almost two decades now. Most of them will take anything, so long as it's good. Not making excuses, but you can see where either is coming from.

Don't forget either, that the people promoting DL2 made it some like it was some ultimate significant achievement or the ultimate virtue that all games should strive for. When people were already getting tired of open world games with mediocre cut and paste content. Let alone another zombie game that have production troubles, suffering from crunch, and took a good minute to come out. Before anyone goes on about Dead Island 2, I know that took way longer, but that shifted about to four or five different studios and developers before being finally finished. Besides, it didn't boast about the amount of hours you can spend playing all the content. Plus they had to cut back on the open world and make it more like a hub world instead. Which worked out better for the game.

Yes, there are people that like long games, but not everyone. Or at the very least people will take a break from long pains once in awhile they've been playing too many or been playing nothing but them. I've noticed that the more people have less time on their hands, the more than likely they'll either skip a long game and go for something shorter, or at least take their time when they know they have the time. I like long games every now and then, but it has to have a really good gameplay loop, story, characters and world.

sXeth

Elite Member
Legacy
Nov 15, 2012

The thing with Dying Light is it has 4 phases
Early "Oh fuck" how do I survive > tense, atmospheric, generally enjoyable
Early-mid > Surviving is not hard but is tedious constantly employing the same handful of tricks and obvious routes to avoid zombies
Mid - you've gotten enough tools and perks to actually fight the zombies and its still kind of a challenge > cool wacky zo,bie combat with lighting chainsaws or whatever
Endgame > some infinitely long slog of grinding for minor perks that only matter because the enemies have been giving like 80 bajillion health

So it really matters where those 500 hours kind of sit (and they're mostly at the 4th one)

Drathnoxis

I love the smell of card games in the morning
Legacy
Sep 23, 2010
Just off-screen
Country
Canada
Rambi's bonus stage is the worst out of all the animal buddies in the original DKC. I swear the timer ticks down twice as fast as on any other stage for some reason and if you want the bonus multiplier you need to spend about half the time jumping across the top of the entire stage where there are no tokens. I think it's a bigger multiplier, but it's hard to get the most out of it.

Dirty Hipsters

This is how we praise the sun!
Legacy
Feb 7, 2011
Country
'Merica
I don't like long games, I tend to not finish them.

If a game is really long then around the 40 or50 hour mark I start wanting to just finish the game already. I start bee-lining the story content and ignoring side quests, even though whenever I start a game I typically spend tons of time doing everything. That's if I even decide to finish the game. Very often I'll realize that a game isn't going to do anything new mechanically at a certain point, and I'm just not engaged enough with the story to care about a conclusion that's still 30+ hours away and I just drop it.

I get burned out on games that are long. Most games that are long don't justify their length well, they tend to get padded with useless bullshit. There are a ton of 80+ hour games, but almost none of them actually deserve to be that long because most games don't have engaging enough stories or mechanics to support even half that length.

I'm pretty convinced that most people who like long games are people without a lot of disposable income who have small gaming budgets that they need to stretch. It's easier for them to justify spending $60 on a 100 hour rpg than a 12 hour character action game because it's all they're going to be able to play for the next 3 months.

Last edited:
Jun 11, 2023
Country
United States

Funny thing is FROM games started gaining traction around the same time this kinda thing started happening.

Old_Hunter_77

Elite Member
Dec 29, 2021
Country
United States
I don't like long games, I tend to not finish them.

If a game is really long then around the 40 or50 hour mark I start wanting to just finish the game already. I start bee-lining the story content and ignoring side quests, even though whenever I start a game I typically spend tons of time doing everything. That's if I even decide to finish the game. Very often I'll realize that a game isn't going to do anything new mechanically at a certain point, and I'm just not engaged enough with the story to care about a conclusion that's still 30+ hours away and I just drop it.

I get burned out on games that are long. Most games that are long don't justify their length well, they tend to get padded with useless bullshit. There are a ton of 80+ hour games, but almost none of them actually deserve to be that long because most games don't have engaging enough stories or mechanics to support even half that length.

I'm pretty convinced that most people who like long games are people without a lot of disposable income who have small gaming budgets that they need to stretch. It's easier for them to justify spending $60 on a 100 hour rpg than a 12 hour character action game because it's all they're going to be able to play for the next 3 months.
I generally agree.

Though I also will defend the long games I like. I have plenty of disposable income (no kids + IT job = disposable income) and I've liked a couple of games that have been criticized for being too long because I just like the worlds they're in.

Also- MMOs and looter shooters and aRPGs exist, which aren't long games, they are infinite games. *shrug*

But with most story campaign type games, yeah I do get worn down by the end, and that is because of how they're usually structured, by throwing hordes of enemies at you. For example I was considering replaying some of the Uncharted games but then I remembered that they just keep throwing gun fights at you and that is the least interesting part of the game so.. forget it.

I also think we who spend more time than most playing and thinking about games are likely to go for long play sessions. So if you're playing something for like 8 hours a couple days in a row or something, yeah you're gonna start to get antsy. But if you don't mind having a game you like to play for an hour or two and you don't care when you're done and you don't have a backlog, then it's actually really nice to spend time in that world.

BrawlMan

Lover of beat'em ups.
Legacy
Mar 10, 2016
Detroit, Michigan
Country
United States of America
Though I also will defend the long games I like. I have plenty of disposable income (no kids + IT job = disposable income) and I've liked a couple of games that have been criticized for being too long because I just like the worlds they're in.
Nothing wrong with that, but everybody's different or has a different scenario.
Also- MMOs and looter shooters and aRPGs exist, which aren't long games, they are infinite games. *shrug*
They're only "infinite" if they are properly and have a dedicated fan base. And as we've seen, most of these publishers want infinite growth that's impossible, nor can deliver a proper or great gameplay loop. Not to mention trying to screw people out with dlc, loot boxes, and fomo with most of these MMOs, mp only shooters, looter shooters, or some weird cross between two out of the three.

Besides, people do get bored, move on, or can only stick to one or two multiplayer games, due to either time, money constraints, or both.

But with most story campaign type games, yeah I do get worn down by the end, and that is because of how they're usually structured, by throwing hordes of enemies at you. For example I was considering replaying some of the Uncharted games but then I remembered that they just keep throwing gun fights at you and that is the least interesting part of the game so.. forget it.
Funny enough, Uncharted 4 suffers the lease from this, but it has other major issues then throwing a bunch of enemies at you. Really only the third game suffers heavily from this the most. The first and second game actually had this balance outright unless you're playing on the highest difficulty in the remastered version.

I also think we who spend more time than most playing and thinking about games are likely to go for long play sessions. So if you're playing something for like 8 hours a couple days in a row or something, yeah you're gonna start to get antsy. But if you don't mind having a game you like to play for an hour or two and you don't care when you're done and you don't have a backlog, then it's actually really nice to spend time in that world.
Once again, a case of everybody's different and your mileage may vary. I don't have a large backlog of games, but I can already tell you most loan games I don't even want to touch unless they interest me and have a good gameplay loop with an interesting story and characters. Not everything is the same with me on a case by case basis, but if neither the world, story, nor specially gameplay does it hook me in or is too janky, I drop it immediately. It's why I prefer shorter games or games that that only go up to 15 or 16 hours at most.

BTW @Old_Hunter_77, did you ever watch that video I sent you where the two guys talk about Takashi Miike? You don't have to watch the whole thing, if you don't want to, but I just knew it was something funny, if you got all the references to his films. Even if you don't know all the references, it's still funny.

Old_Hunter_77

Elite Member
Dec 29, 2021
Country
United States
BTW @Old_Hunter_77, did you ever watch that video I sent you where the two guys talk about Takashi Miike? You don't have to watch the whole thing, if you don't want to, but I just knew it was something funny, if you got all the references to his films. Even if you don't know all the references, it's still funny.
A bit.. is that a whole in-game cut scene? Either way, yeah, Miike is one of those directors that certainly inspires conversation.