Your video game hot take(s) thread

BrawlMan

Lover of beat'em ups.
Legacy
Mar 10, 2016
Detroit, Michigan
Country
United States of America
Good news Myk: most people actually love the show great, and it is getting a Season 2. So the haters can suck it and cry like the bitches they are.

Gordon_4

The Big Engine
Legacy
Apr 3, 2020
Australia
Here you have it, Bubsy 3D established a new standard in the platforming genre.

View attachment 9779

I especially love the quote "The game designers, aware of current console limitations, have opted to develop the game using flat shaded polygons instead of textured polygons, which puts less of a demand on the hardware's geometry engines, and inevitably decreases draw-in." So Bubsy 3D looks like an unfinished alpha because the PS1 sucks and just couldn't do any better.
Crash Bandicoot called and said "Ya'll are bitches"

BrawlMan

Lover of beat'em ups.
Legacy
Mar 10, 2016
Detroit, Michigan
Country
United States of America
Crash Bandicoot called and said "Ya'll are bitches"
Speaking of Crash Bandicoot. As much as people and gamers say that he was Sony's answer to Mario and Sonic, his PS1 titles were mainly inspired by Donkey Kong Country of all things. It's mostly noticeable in the first game. The tropical island & jungle setting, certain animal buddies that are used as vehicle sections, and the fact that Crash dies in one hit unless he gets some type of power up or partner (in way later sequels). Then again, at least the second and third game carved their own identity so this became less of a noticeable trend.

Last edited:
Reactions: Specter Von Baren

Gordon_4

The Big Engine
Legacy
Apr 3, 2020
Australia
Speaking of Crash Bandicoot. As much as people and gamers say that he was Sony's answer to Mario and Sonic, his PS1 titles were mainly inspired by Donkey Kong Country of all things. It's mostly noticeable in the first game. The tropical island & jungle setting, certain animal buddies that are used as vehicle sections, and the fact that crash dies in one hit unless he gets some type of power up or partner (in way later sequels). Then again, at least the second and third game carved their own identity so this became less of a noticeable trend.
For a first time outing, you can do worse than filing the serial numbers off something like Donkey Kong Country and slapping a 3D coat of paint on it with some re-branding. Of course Naughty Dog also took the time to make sure their knock off was GOOD.

Reactions: BrawlMan

BrawlMan

Lover of beat'em ups.
Legacy
Mar 10, 2016
Detroit, Michigan
Country
United States of America
For a first time outing, you can do worse than filing the serial numbers off something like Donkey Kong Country and slapping a 3D coat of paint on it with some re-branding. Of course Naughty Dog also took the time to make sure their knock off was GOOD.
Exactly! I really didn't start noticing until after I bought and played the third game back in the PS1 days. I have played the series out of order. Three wasn't out yet when my brother and I got a PS1, but they had the first and second game on sale. I got Crash 2 first, then immediately got Crash 1 a week or two later.

XsjadoBlaydette

~s•o√r∆rπy°`
May 26, 2022
Clear 'n Present Danger
Country
Must
A dramatically spoken line in a (statistically above average) game intro cutscene played recently:

~*bombastic music plays*~

"...that only they who shun the light"

"to fight"

"the darkness..."

etc etc.

it's got to stop. This hack writing is an existential menace. If I ever have to hear about another fucking light overcoming another fucking darkness in any media ever again, I'm gonna smother that bloody light with a battalion of black holes, hope you enjoy overcoming an army of event fucking horizons you twatty hacks! And before the darkness thinks it's getting out of this easy, am releasing the grey fucking gooooo for youuuu my friend!

Whilst we're on cutscenes - does anyone remember the days where a prerendered cutscene was graphically more impressive than the actual game? How long ago was that now? These days, prerendered just means jarring cuts to lower frame rate, blurry washed out scenes while your adjusting eyes are left pining to return to the game engine instead.

Last edited:
Reactions: Specter Von Baren

BrawlMan

Lover of beat'em ups.
Legacy
Mar 10, 2016
Detroit, Michigan
Country
United States of America
Whilst we're on cutscenes - does anyone remember the days where a prerendered cutscene was graphically more impressive than the actual game? How long ago was that now?
Late PS2 era and half of the 360 era. Even then those days weren't perfect either.

These days, pre-rendered just means jarring cuts to lower frame rate, blurry washed out scenes while your adjusting eyes are left pining to return to the game engine instead.
The pre-rendered cutscenes in Evil West look pretty good. Most games nowadays, don't even bother with pre-rendered cutscenes, unless it's some glorified trailer or advertisement. The last game I remember where the pre-rendered cutscenes were just as great as the in-game cut scenes, is Asura's Wrath. You could barely tell what was pre-rendered unless you were playing on PS3 or by emulation.

Last edited:
Reactions: XsjadoBlaydette

XsjadoBlaydette

~s•o√r∆rπy°`
May 26, 2022
Clear 'n Present Danger
Country
Must
what if nier automata had literal name this time so we don't get confuse

2023-10-14-00-16-31-654.jpg

suggested trilogy titles: sad robot (ok that is movie studio already, mayhaps they're connected...). despair can? suicide bot? I ain't trying here, that's the trick, you see

BrawlMan

Lover of beat'em ups.
Legacy
Mar 10, 2016
Detroit, Michigan
Country
United States of America
what if nier automata had literal name this time so we don't get confuse

View attachment 9811

suggested trilogy titles: sad robot (ok that is movie studio already, mayhaps they're connected...). despair can? suicide bot? I ain't trying here, that's the trick, you see
I don't mind the name, but they need a way better and readable font.

Old_Hunter_77

Elite Member
Dec 29, 2021
Country
United States
Apparently the new Spiderman 2 game has guaranteed 60fps with ray-tracing. The game doesn't even let you turn ray-tracing off, it's so confident in its ability to just deliver on performance and fidelity. I'm getting this from SkillUp's review.

So if Baldur's Gate 3 supposedly set some new standard for content and quality and player choice, can we say Spidey 2 sets the standard for performance? 'Cause if what I heard is true, then there really is no excuse for 30fps and performance vs graphics mode and all this nonsense. "But video games are hard" and "art design matters MORE than graphics" and "horse ball lol." I mean, I'm not Mr Graphics by any means but I already have been feeling suspect that with these fancy new consoles and graphics cards we need to be putting up with anything less than amazingness and all the frames from big budget massive games.

Or is it just that Sony is so awesome? Spiderman means lots of things moving very quickly, lots of action, lots of lights, lots of rays to trace and motions to not blur and all the frames happening.. if they can do 60fps w/ ray tracking, so can Bethesda and all those.

Reactions: BrawlMan

Xprimentyl

Made you look...
Legacy
Aug 13, 2011
Plano, TX
Country
United States
I don't mind the name, but they need a way better and readable font.
I actually really like that font. Not that it's easily legible, just that I like the style that engages and mandates more than a cursory glance. It'd make for a badass tattoo; I'd like to see the whole alphabet stylized this way so I could finally get the right-forearm tat I need for symmetry.

BrawlMan

Lover of beat'em ups.
Legacy
Mar 10, 2016
Detroit, Michigan
Country
United States of America
if they can do 60fps w/ ray tracking, so can Bethesda and all those.
I don't give a rat's ass about Ray tracing, but a majority of these games should run at 60 FPS with or without it. Especially without it. Ray tracing lost all meaning pretty much the year it got hot. By 2021 nobody (sensible) cared anymore.

Also, Capcom has done plenty of their games of 60 FPS Ray tracing. So they can do it, then most of the other companies can.

I actually really like that font. Not that it's easily legible, just that I like the style that engages and mandates more than a cursory glance. It'd make for a badass tattoo; I'd like to see the whole alphabet stylized this way so I could finally get the right-forearm tat I need for symmetry.
More power to you, but you're not going to find many people wanting to make a tattoo out of that. I don't think so.