Your video game hot take(s) thread

Jun 11, 2023
Country
United States
The internet DISScourse surrounding stuff like this kinda makes me wish we were back in the early 90’s when we literally had to buy an EGM or Gamepro from the bookstore to read a review. Seems like it was a bit easier on everyone back then, before the echo chambers full of howler monkeys and whatnot.

BrawlMan

Lover of beat'em ups.
Legacy
Mar 10, 2016
Detroit, Michigan
Country
United States of America
this kinda makes me wish we were back in the early 90’s when we literally had to buy an EGM or Gamepro from the bookstore to read a review. Seems like it was a bit easier on everyone back then, before the echo chambers full of howler monkeys and whatnot.
Not really, because even those magazines have their own problems and biases every now and then. Especially if it was a magazine dedicated to a specific consoles. While I miss certain aspects of those days, they weren't perfect paradises. Either had their own issues and ommission of truths, half-truths, and straight up lies at times, or plain brought in the wrong person to review a game where they don't even like the genre. Game Informer....

Reactions: hanselthecaretaker2
Jun 11, 2023
Country
United States
Not really, because even those magazines have their own problems and biases every now and then. Especially if it was a magazine dedicated to a specific consoles. While I miss certain aspects of those days, they weren't perfect paradises. Either had their own issues and ommission of truths, half-truths, and straight up lies at times, or plain brought in the wrong person to review a game where they don't even like the genre. Game Informer....
True, but in general there was a hell of a lot less noise to sift through.

BrawlMan

Lover of beat'em ups.
Legacy
Mar 10, 2016
Detroit, Michigan
Country
United States of America
True, but in general there was a hell of a lot less noise to sift through.
I can happily ignore that noise like I did back then with no issues. Everyone should've realize by a certain point that a big world means big noise too. There will always be positive and negative consequences. How you choose to react to them accordingly is all that matters now.

Reactions: hanselthecaretaker2

BrawlMan

Lover of beat'em ups.
Legacy
Mar 10, 2016
Detroit, Michigan
Country
United States of America
SNK's Sengoku 3/2001 is a much better game than the first two and has great combat, combo, and juggle mechanics, but I don't like it much. The game lacks enemy variety; especially in its early half, and levels tend to drag when playing on harder difficulties. The level design is not all that great either with the soundtrack doing the lifting. If you're coming off AVP (Capcom), Battle Circuit, or the even the spiritual predecessor to S3, Gaia Crusader, it feels lacking to all in comparison in some way. Enemy variety (even Final Fight and the Streets of Rage has more of that), level design, or speedier combat. Not that Sengoku 3 isn't speedy, but it takes a lot more time understanding the combo mechanics, as a lot of the inputs involve a bit more fighting game style mechanics most first time players will have to get used too.

Fight n' Rage I can't play anymore. I just find it that fun or interesting now. Especially with so many brawlers out there now. I don't even know why I have a physical version of this. Every time I think popping it in, I rather play something else.

Calling it now: Zenless Zone Zero is going to completely trash DMC: Peak of Combat on launch day.

Nov 9, 2015
Honestly, there's way too many streamers and youtubers making more entertaining and informative content. Plus, you can choose creators with similar tastes, making their reviews a better predictor whether you'll enjoy a game or not. The only purpose these big sites have left is getting pre-release copies and pointing out glaring flaws on day 1. Other than that they're good at tricking people into buying critically acclaimed games.

Also to say "all opinions are valid" doesn't mean all opinions are equally worthy. I can certainly have an opinion of a game I've only played half of. I can even have an opinion of a game I never played, but I'm more likely to have my opinion misaligned with people who actually played it, or base my opinion on facts that aren't true. On the other hand someone who knows a game or genre like the back of their hand has much more context to draw from, and can distill more relevant information, making their opinions far more comprehensive and valuable than a person who plays a new game every week.