Your video game hot take(s) thread

Dalisclock

Elite Member
Legacy
Apr 18, 2020
Country
United States
Wait, you mean Odysseus DIDN'T need to grind before the Scylla & Charybdis boss fight? You mean he DIDN'T need to max out his dexterity before getting his hands on the bow? You mean he DIDN'T need to max out on charisma to charm Circe?

Christ, I've been reading The Odyssey all wrong. :(
You were not reading the Ubisoft edition, clearly.

Reactions: Hawki and BrawlMan

The Rogue Wolf

Stealthy Carnivore
Legacy
Apr 3, 2020
Stalking the Digital Tundra
That's the biggest problem with the AC franchise. There's nothing left to do, and these games that should have not been in the franchise in the first place.
You've told the story you want to tell in your franchise, but the suits want to make more money. What do you do? The answer determines whether you're an artist or a manufacturer.

Bob_McMillan

Elite Member
May 11, 2020
Country
Philippines
Since we're on Assassin's Creed. The newer games just look so... gamey. Which is an odd criticism I know, but it really does make the newer games (if you take away the graphics at least) look like lesser versions of the older games. If you put Unity and Valhalla side by side at like 480p, I would have probably guessed that Unity was the newer game.

The UI, when it's at full blast, makes the game look like an MMO or some shit. The animations look recycled yet clunkier at the same time. The combat looks plucked straight out of an above average mobile game. All of these factors combine to create a terrible looking game, or at the very least not a modern AAA game.

Is that just me? Because I know many people actually like the newer ones, which I don't have an opinion on as I've never played them, but I am surprised that people get excited whenever trailers drop. I just think they look that bad, I find myself cringing a little even.

Reactions: BrawlMan

Dalisclock

Elite Member
Legacy
Apr 18, 2020
Country
United States
Since we're on Assassin's Creed. The newer games just look so... gamey. Which is an odd criticism I know, but it really does make the newer games (if you take away the graphics at least) look like lesser versions of the older games. If you put Unity and Valhalla side by side at like 480p, I would have probably guessed that Unity was the newer game.

The UI, when it's at full blast, makes the game look like an MMO or some shit. The animations look recycled yet clunkier at the same time. The combat looks plucked straight out of an above average mobile game. All of these factors combine to create a terrible looking game, or at the very least not a modern AAA game.

Is that just me? Because I know many people actually like the newer ones, which I don't have an opinion on as I've never played them, but I am surprised that people get excited whenever trailers drop. I just think they look that bad, I find myself cringing a little even.
It does take a lot from Open World/MMO games, yes. I can't compare too much because my mobile gaming is almost non-existent and is confined to Pocket Trains and Fallout Shelter when I feel like it but the new games aren't really like the old ones very much. There's a lot of Looter mechanics, cooldown bars/build bars, and the combat system is a bastardized copy of Souls Combat.

It still has the sneaky sneaky going but that's confined to hiding in vegetation mostly rather then hiding in crowds and in some cases the games fucking railroad you into fights(so stealth kills aren't possible to begin with) which annoys me. Like Origins, the best of the new games, had parts where you get forced into an area with a boss and you have no other option then to just fight him one on one and it's just not terribly AC-like(and in some cases it's really blatant).

They do fall into the open world trap hard though, where there's lots of stuff but little of it is really good or interesting. Which is a shame because the maps are very beautiful and fun to explore, but there's not a lot of good content in said maps.

You've told the story you want to tell in your franchise, but the suits want to make more money. What do you do? The answer determines whether you're an artist or a manufacturer.
Apparently the original AC plan went off the rails pretty early when the original director left Ubisoft/was forced out. Apparently the original plan was 5 games where Desmond would train to become a Super Assassin and take down the Templars, and well, Desmond did get 5 games but what we got and what seems to have been intended ended up being very different. It doesn't help Revelations was(despite being pretty good) clearly buying time for them to finish 3(and 3 still wasn't really done when it released, and still feels unfinished especially towards the later chapters of the game and some of the side content).

But the original Arc pretty much wrapped up at the end of 3, but hell, money is money and they're gonna ride that cash train until forever it seems.

Reactions: BrawlMan

Hades

Elite Member
May 7, 2020
Country
The Netherlands
Apparently the original AC plan went off the rails pretty early when the original director left Ubisoft/was forced out. Apparently the original plan was 5 games where Desmond would train to become a Super Assassin and take down the Templars, and well, Desmond did get 5 games but what we got and what seems to have been intended ended up being very different. It doesn't help Revelations was(despite being pretty good) clearly buying time for them to finish 3(and 3 still wasn't really done when it released, and still feels unfinished especially towards the later chapters of the game and some of the side content).
Its probably for the best that we never got a game about Desmond taking down the templars. He has always been the worst thing about the story. He's just such a boring character and him being a framing device wasn't really needed either.

Bob_McMillan

Elite Member
May 11, 2020
Country
Philippines
It still has the sneaky sneaky going but that's confined to hiding in vegetation mostly rather then hiding in crowds and in some cases the games fucking railroad you into fights(so stealth kills aren't possible to begin with) which annoys me. Like Origins, the best of the new games, had parts where you get forced into an area with a boss and you have no other option then to just fight him one on one and it's just not terribly AC-like(and in some cases it's really blatant).
That's one of the big things I hate about the new games. The moment I saw some YouTuber slit a sleeping guards throat, only for the guard to stand right up with half his HP left, I knew these games wouldn't be for me. AC's stealth and combat were never really that good, but at the very least they were satisfying.

Is the combat... good? Because in all the videos I've seen it just looks downright terrible. Which again, very confusing because I have friends who claim the combat is great.
They do fall into the open world trap hard though, where there's lots of stuff but little of it is really good or interesting. Which is a shame because the maps are very beautiful and fun to explore, but there's not a lot of good content in said maps.
The sad thing is that I don't mind pointless collectibles, as long as it's fun to get to them. And AC is supposed to be great at that, with all the freerunning mechanics and all. It's quite fun to be en route to a mission only to take a small detour and flip off a roof to get some random collectible.

Dalisclock

Elite Member
Legacy
Apr 18, 2020
Country
United States
Its probably for the best that we never got a game about Desmond taking down the templars. He has always been the worst thing about the story. He's just such a boring character and him being a framing device wasn't really needed either.
He became a decent character by revelations(if you did the optional first person platforming missions) and 3, but considering that's 4 and 5 games into the series that's way too fucking long. Like he should have had a decent character by 2...at the latest.

That's one of the big things I hate about the new games. The moment I saw some YouTuber slit a sleeping guards throat, only for the guard to stand right up with half his HP left, I knew these games wouldn't be for me. AC's stealth and combat were never really that good, but at the very least they were satisfying.

Is the combat... good? Because in all the videos I've seen it just looks downright terrible. Which again, very confusing because I have friends who claim the combat is great.
Yeah, you had to invest in stealth kills to actually one hit kill people with the hidden blade/the spear. Actually, it's more complex then that because Origins made the Hidden Blade be an upgradable weapon(along with the bow, etc) so you had to invest quite a bit of resources into it to get it to one hit kill mode if someone wasn't at or below your level. Odyssey had assassination as a full skill tree to one hit kill with the spear(which acts the way the blade does) which you had to invest in. I haven't played valhalla so I can't comment on that.

I consider the combat acceptable. I'm also not terribly picky about melee combat though so take that as you will, but I found it good enough for what it is.

Last edited: