Your video game hot take(s) thread

BrawlMan

Lover of beat'em ups.
Legacy
Mar 10, 2016
Detroit, Michigan
Country
United States of America
They officially lost me as a customer though thats not saying much as Activision lost me like 15 years ago and EA lost me at BFV.
What happened 15 years ago, that made you stop playing Activision? I know I got sick and tired of their crap after Modern Warfare 2. The only reason I bought Transformers Devastation, because Platinum was making it.

I never have put a single dime into a Kickstarter project. I wait and see if it’s successful for me to buy their product. But I never have faith in a project that could turn south at any moment. Mighty number 9 made sure of that.
I've done a couple Kickstarters, but almost all of them ending up taking forever to get completed when they were. It pretty much put me off kickstarters. Or maybe my problem was investing in episodic games that ended up having 70 thousand years between episode releases. Speaking of which, I've more or less stopped supporting episodic games(until they're finished) with the exception of Deltarune, because even 2 chapters of Deltarune has been more memorable then a lot of completed games.
I have still never given anything to a Kickstarter project before. I just wait until the game actually comes out, if the project is a success. I'm not one for episodic gaming either. The closest was Asura's Wrath, and I still waited till after the game went out on discount. A game that cost $60 and had missing levels held back for priced DLC! Ironic, because if anything needed to be done episodic style, it was that game.

Last edited:

Casual Shinji

Should've gone before we left.
Legacy
Jul 18, 2009
I hate the idea of Roguelite games. I hate the fact if you die you lose your progress. It’s a shame most of the indie scene is littered with them. Whatever indie games I used to have an interest in were swept away when I found out they were roguelites. Not sorry!
Yeah, I'm not a fan either. I like Hades for everything that isn't getting killed, sent back, and losing everything.

Fallen Soldier

Brother Lombax
Oct 28, 2021
Country
United States
Yeah, I'm not a fan either. I like Hades for everything that isn't getting killed, sent back, and losing everything.
I was interested in Hades until I saw it was a rogue lite game. Sucks because I liked the developers previous games.

BrawlMan

Lover of beat'em ups.
Legacy
Mar 10, 2016
Detroit, Michigan
Country
United States of America
I hate the idea of Roguelite games. I hate the fact if you die you lose your progress. It’s a shame most of the indie scene is littered with them. Whatever indie games I used to have an interest in were swept away when I found out they were roguelites. Not sorry!
Same, don't care Rouge-like/lites either. The only exception is Mr. X's Nightmare.

Johnny Novgorod

Bebop Man
Legacy
Feb 9, 2012
To be fair the idea is that some progress carries over from one attempt to the next. But yes, there's way too many of them and most bungle either the risk-reward cycle or simply get too repetitive.

The Rogue Wolf

Stealthy Carnivore
Legacy
Nov 25, 2007
Stalking the Digital Tundra
I never have put a single dime into a Kickstarter project.
It pretty much put me off kickstarters.
I have still never given anything to a Kickstarter project before.
The vital thing to remember about Kickstarter is that it isn't a purchase; it's an investment- and like all investments, it might lose all value through no fault of your own. Unfortunately, a lot of would-be developers are entirely too happy to see the line blurred.

BrawlMan

Lover of beat'em ups.
Legacy
Mar 10, 2016
Detroit, Michigan
Country
United States of America
The vital thing to remember about Kickstarter is that it isn't a purchase; it's an investment- and like all investments, it might lose all value through no fault of your own. Unfortunately, a lot of would-be developers are entirely too happy to see the line blurred.
Exactly why I never bothered putting any money into Kickstarter.

Piscian

Elite Member
Apr 28, 2020
Country
United States
What happened 15 years ago, that made you stop playing Activision? I know I got sick and tired of their crap after Modern Warfare 2. The only reason I bought Transformers Devastation, because Platinum was making it.
I just went to their wiki to make sure I'm not crazy. I did buy Sekiro. Thats the only new game Ive bought from them in the last 10 years. I do have Devastation in a box somewhere, but it was a used $5 game from whatever that game rental service is, I forget that name.

To be honest Activision just stopped really coming out with games I'm interested in. There's only so many times you can send me in to kick down peoples doors in iraq or zipline in to kill plane hijackers in tight hallways with QTEs before I'm just sort of exhausted on it. In all seriousness the only Call Of Duty game I really enjoyed was literally Call of Duty and the last one I played for more than an hour was Modern Warfare 1. I tried Black Ops multiplayer and it felt like a pathetic caricature of Counter-strike. Like some paid a team of monkeys to shit out a clone of it. Played one map of Black Ops 2 and it was so comically small the spawns felt like they were 20ft apart.

I'll play a military shooter, I just havent found COD compelling in 10-20 years. Its not political, I just find it dull. I loved Spec Ops: The Line. I love Wolfenstein. I just need a little more meat to my shooters.

I was gonna say I'd really like to try the two recent spider-man games, but its doesnt look like those were made by Activision.

I have still never given anything to a Kickstarter project before. I just wait until the game actually comes out, if the project is a success. I'm not one for episodic gaming either. The closest was Asura's Wrath, and I still waited till after the game went out of discount. Ironic, because if anything needed to be done episodic style, it was that game.
Ive done quite a few. Most were me being part of a statement to the industry saying "I want games like this" so the message was more important than gettin the game. Only one I got partially burned on. The only one I really came out on top of was the Dark Souls Boardgame. I got the early bird and all stretch goal expansions for 80 euros. The current MSRP is is around 300-400 I feel good about getting in early.

Most every Kickstarter I've done one of my friends pinged me and said "hey, you might want to get in on this, its going to get expensive."

I'm really looking forward to the one by the Suikoden Guys. Euirdryan Chronicles or whatever. It'll definitely end up at retail, but its one of those things Id buy on launch anyway because it uses that sweat Octopath Traveler art style and the Kick Starter got me so cool merch for free so whatever.

Reactions: BrawlMan

Fallen Soldier

Brother Lombax
Oct 28, 2021
Country
United States
Kickstarter isn’t a investment, you are basically giving a good will donation. An investment is something you get back in return.

7C5ABEEE-4F55-4BE0-B4F2-1CB62B5AB835.png

BrawlMan

Lover of beat'em ups.
Legacy
Mar 10, 2016
Detroit, Michigan
Country
United States of America
I do have Devastation in a box somewhere, but it was a used $5 game from whatever that game rental service is, I forget that name.
I got mine $50 new, when I pre-ordered. I did trade in a couple games though to make things easier.
To be honest Activision just stopped really coming out with games I'm interested in. There's only so many times you can send me in to kick dont peoples doors in iraq or zipline in to kill plane hijackers in tight hallways with QTEs before I'm just sort pf exhausted on it. In all seriousness the only Call Of Duty game I really enjoyed was literally Call of Duty and the last one I played for more than an hour was Modern Warfare 1. I tried Black Ops multiplayer and it felt like a pathetic caricature of Counter-strike. Like some paid a team of monkeys to shit out a clone of it. Played one map of Black Ops 2 and it was so comically small the spawns felt like they were 20ft apart.
I got sick and tired of COD and everyone trying to suck its dick, during MW2's release. This was the generation where nearly everyone shooter or not developers and publishers were jumping on the COD wagon or Gears bus.

Most every Kickstarter I've done one of my friends pinged me and said "hey,you might want to get in on this, its going to get expensive."
My response to that was "I'll wait for sale." or "Not worth my money".

Fallen Soldier

Brother Lombax
Oct 28, 2021
Country
United States
I got mine $50 new, when I pre-ordered. I did trade in a couple games though to make things easier.

I got sick and tired of COD and everyone trying to suck its dick, during MW2's release. This was the generation where nearly everyone shooter or not developers and publishers were jumping on the COD wagon or Gears bus.

My response to that was "I'll wait for sale." or "Not worth my money".
And they’re still doing it. I’m tired of seeing generic FPS being churned out on a daily basis.

BrawlMan

Lover of beat'em ups.
Legacy
Mar 10, 2016
Detroit, Michigan
Country
United States of America
And they’re still doing it. I’m tired of seeing generic FPS being churned out on a daily basis.
If you are referring to the Unholy Trinity, then yes. But from most of AA and indie side, they're either doing their own thing or going old-school style. Then you got id Software with the recent Doom games, but I did not like Eternal. Shadow Warrior, Hard Reset, etc. Japanese gaming made a return to form during generation 8 and now. So you at least have options and variety. Ignore the dumb bullshit from the unholy trinity, and focus on the smaller developers and some of the big developers that try.

Reactions: Fallen Soldier

hanselthecaretaker

My flask is half full
Legacy
Nov 18, 2010
To be fair the idea is that some progress carries over from one attempt to the next. But yes, there's way too many of them and most bungle either the risk-reward cycle or simply get too repetitive.

I like the personality and themes of Darkest Dungeon but in reality it feels like l’d be better off elbow-dropping my funny bone into a pile of Legos.

Fallen Soldier

Brother Lombax
Oct 28, 2021
Country
United States
This is a repeat of my earlier post somewhat, but I hate games like Returnal and Death Loop. I hate seeing the rogue lite mechanics creeping sits way into AAA gaming. Dying once and restarting is not fun. It is tedious, stupid and ridiculous.

Dirty Hipsters

This is how we praise the sun!
Legacy
Feb 7, 2011
Country
'Merica
“Game developers” like Hideo Kojima , David Cage and Yoko Taro are not actual game developers but showmen who rather seek the limelight then focus on gaming.
At least 2 of those have some interesting and unique ideas. Even if the gameplay in their games doesn't always pan out, they are moving the industry forward.

Then there's David Cage...

Dalisclock

Making lemons combustible again
Legacy
Escapist +
Feb 9, 2008
A Barrel In the Marketplace
Country
Eagleland
At least 2 of those have some interesting and unique ideas. Even if the gameplay in their games doesn't always pan out, they are moving the industry forward.

Then there's David Cage...
Kojima is up his own ass 90% of the time but dammit at least he tries to do something different, so I can give him some credit when he's not being a creep. Yoko Taro's only work I have experience with was Nier Automata but there's something about a bunch of tin can robots dry humping each other in a game about existentialism that makes me give him some credit.

David Cage, I don't even want to get into.....

Phoenixmgs

The Muse of Fate
Legacy
Apr 3, 2020
w/ M'Kraan Crystal
“Game developers” like Hideo Kojima , David Cage and Yoko Taro are not actual game developers but showmen who rather seek the limelight then focus on gaming.
Kojima has been great at gameplay for most of his career. MGS1/2/3 all hold up as good games today and all play rather differently because they never tried to be actual 3rd person shooters as that gameplay wasn't good yet. If you go back and play say Syphon Filter today, it's complete trash because it tried to be a 3rd person shooter and at the time, the gameplay was good but now 3rd person shooters have evolved so much that it's now trash. Same thing with a game like Winback that was the 1st cover shooter and it was interesting at the time (very repetitive though) but you'd only play that shit today just to see what the 1st cover shooter was like. But you can play MGS1 (or 2 or 3) today and those games still play very well because they didn't try to be shooters. Then, you have MGS4 that is still the best playing 3rd-person shooter to this very day and basically revolutionized multiplayer shooters and every single multiplayer shooter from COD to Uncharted to Halo has gameplay mechanics that originated from MGS4's online multiplayer. MGS4 also introduced the first battle royale mode basically, it was called stealth deathmatch and even has the slowly closing circle to get players to move towards a center point so there's not hardcore camping. That predates every single battle royale game and mod.

In regards to Ubisoft. I’d always consider them to be the lesser of the two evils when it comes to the major publishers like EA and Activision. This isn’t to say they are good by any means, but when the bar is so low then it’s an accomplishment I guess. Why I consider Ubisoft to be slightly better then the others comes down to several reasons.

1. They actually listened to some forms of criticisms in regards to their games. Like not churning out an Assassins Creed game every year or shrinking down the map in Valhalla after so many people complained about the huge map in Odyssey.

2.They do release an interesting new game that isn’t a franchise staple like Far Cry. While EA and Activision release the same damn games every year.

3. Their games tend to be single player focused. Which is good in my opinion. I never liked multiplayer crap to begin with. Sure we can debate the quality of their games as well. But at least Ubisoft does put a focus on single player games then say Activison.

With all that said. Ubisoft is still a crappy company.
I've always found Ubisoft's open worlds far more interesting than Rockstar's and really anyone else's. You have actual stealth mechanics in the games, systemic game elements, and actual good shooting mechanics. You have more interactions in the world like say using animals in FarCry or hacking in Watch Dogs. The AssCreed games to me were Ubisoft's "GTAs" because of how the mission structure was and how rather non-interactive the worlds were compared to their other open worlds. The main problem with Ubisoft is they just keep making the same game over and over again only making bigger worlds with more repetitive missions and more bugs. The gameplay would also get worse like the open world Ghost Recon games have such shit 3rd-person shooting when Future Soldier had really good shooting. The Division's shooting was horrid too, I played the beta for an hour and deleted it. If I have to choose between a EA, Activision, Rockstar or Ubisoft game, I'd probably choose Ubisoft even today.

Old_Hunter_77

Elite Member
Dec 29, 2021
Country
United States
This is a repeat of my earlier post somewhat, but I hate games like Returnal and Death Loop. I hate seeing the rogue lite mechanics creeping sits way into AAA gaming. Dying once and restarting is not fun. It is tedious, stupid and ridiculous.

My feeling is that now that many of us have caught on to the trick that open-world design has become a way for game companies to add bloat to pad playing times for games, loop mechanics are the next trick. While both certainly have games that use those mechanics well, they're also ways to avoid doing crafted design and just add uninteresting content.