USA

BrawlMan

Lover of beat'em ups.
Legacy
Mar 10, 2016
Detroit, Michigan
Country
United States of America
I think at the time we didn't have an answer, but yeah, I remember that now.
I can only speak for myself on this one, but I already knew a few months of prior to posting on the old version of the site. The article is from June 2019. I didn't post all this stuff until September. Understandable. I'm still keeping a lookout for any further updates. I just hope it doesn't get delayed again.

Specter Von Baren

Annoying Green Gadfly
Legacy
Aug 25, 2013
I don't know, send help!
Country
USA
I can only speak for myself on this one, but I already knew a few months of prior to posting on the old version of the site. The article is from June 2019. I didn't post all this stuff until September. Understandable. I'm still keeping a lookout for any further updates. I just hope it doesn't get delayed again.
I tend to try and avoid details of games once I've concluded that I'm probably going to play them. Though I've started wondering if that's a mistake and I'd finish more of them if I got more into the hype.

BrawlMan

Lover of beat'em ups.
Legacy
Mar 10, 2016
Detroit, Michigan
Country
United States of America
I tend to try and avoid details of games once I've concluded that I'm probably going to play them. Though I've started wondering if that's a mistake and I'd finish more of them if I got more into the hype.
Nothing wrong with that. I won't look at every single information and try to inject it like a junkie, but I don't mind keeping myself surprised. And even then, I prefer knowing just a small update every now and then. This game would have been out in 2020 or 2021 already, if it had not been for COVID. It's telling something when I'm still more excited for this game, then most of the "next gen" games being announced or release so far.

Reactions: Specter Von Baren

BrawlMan

Lover of beat'em ups.
Legacy
Mar 10, 2016
Detroit, Michigan
Country
United States of America
This is less of a hot taking more of a thought: I actually hope Quartz Rose becomes a playable character. It will be fun to see a pure, bare fisted monk, melee character in a game that's all about stylish shooting. I know about the blind sword guy from Overdose, but he's uses dual swords. And his swords do have some ranged attacks. If she is a playable character, I wonder how they're going to give her ranged attacks or specials. Maybe some of her moves might have possible ki attacks.

Last edited:

Specter Von Baren

Annoying Green Gadfly
Legacy
Aug 25, 2013
I don't know, send help!
Country
USA
This is less of a hot taking more of a thought: I actually hope Quartz Rose becomes a playable character. It will be fun to see a pure bare fisted monk nelee character in a game that's all about stylish shooting. I know about the blind sword guy from Overdose, but he's a swords. And his swords do have some ranged attacks. If she is a playable character, I wonder how they're going to give her ranged attacks or specials. Maybe some of her moves might have possible ki attacks.
Hhm? I thought that was a given? I would find it weird to feature her so heavily in the teaser and not have her be a playable character.

BrawlMan

Lover of beat'em ups.
Legacy
Mar 10, 2016
Detroit, Michigan
Country
United States of America
Hhm? I thought that was a given? I would find it weird to feature her so heavily in the teaser and not have her be a playable character.
That's a problem with teaser trailers or trailers that are half CG trailer (her portion is all CG) and have gameplay trailer, you don't know what to expect. There are quite a few games where an awesome character is featured in a CG trailer, they got this cool design and concept, but they're not playable a character. Not everything will be an obvious "given". This is always been a problem with the gaming industry. Especially the moving towards 3D.

All I am saying is don't be too surprised and disappointed, if she does not become a playable character and remains an npc. The best case of this scenario, is that Rose becomes a DLC character. So I prefer she was just unlockable character at some point when you get to a certain part of the game.

Last edited:

BrawlMan

Lover of beat'em ups.
Legacy
Mar 10, 2016
Detroit, Michigan
Country
United States of America
Here's another crazy hot take from Yahtzee. I don't know too much about the adventure genre, but I still think there's good ones out there. Just either have to check the Indy circle, or rely on one of the few AAA games that still bother with them. Sturgeon's law always apply no matter the time or decade.

Last edited:

BrawlMan

Lover of beat'em ups.
Legacy
Mar 10, 2016
Detroit, Michigan
Country
United States of America
Seriously though, what is with the gaming industry's obsession with claiming these games or genres are "dead"? It doesn't matter if it's gamers, the professional critics/independent, or those from the publishing and developing side themselves. Though the critics tend to be the worst with it. Out of everyone, they love to claim the most that beat'em ups or brawlers are dead. They are running the same racket since the early to mid 2000s. While it's true that there weren't that many brawlers coming out in the late 2000s, they were still plenty in the indie market/xbla/psn that weren't trying to be like Devil May Cry or God of War.

It seems like most of these genres or games aren't dead, as these people like to claim, and it's more so they can't be bothered to play these type of games, hate or dislike these type of games, or indifferent towards them. But if it's a genre they like or have a positive bias towards, then they'll go to the Moon to defend it or them. The same logic can apply to certain developers or game makers with these attitudes.

"Single player is dead. Puzzle games are dead. Platformers are dead. 3D platformers are dead. Call of Duty is dead. Resident Evil is dead. The survival horror genre is dead. Hard games are dead. Arcade racing games are dead. No one plays old games anymore." It's all the same grift, because people like that are either insecure about the industry they are in, need to make all the money in the world, or just want to sound like they know everything come off of some wise intellectual.

I still remember that bull crap video from Clean Price Gaming when he said before God of War 4, the 3D hack n slash was "dying and running on fumes" and that they all need RPG elements to survive. I immediately called bullshit on it. And he had literally next to no and service level evidence to back it up. It's just that's how it happened apparently. Only for the Indie market to show them how full of crap CP is. With 2D style brawlers making a major resurgence in the late 2010s to early 2020s. Not to mention, still plenty of other stylish action games coming out after God of War 4. Devil May Cry 5 included and being the front runner. After that video, I stayed clear of him. Something was always off about him and fake. Glad I never subscribed or watched too many videos of him.

Last edited:

Specter Von Baren

Annoying Green Gadfly
Legacy
Aug 25, 2013
I don't know, send help!
Country
USA
Here's another crazy hot take from Yahtzee. I don't know too much about the adventure genre, but I still think there's good ones out there. Just either have to check the Indy circle, or rely on one of the few AAA games that still bother with them. Sturgeon's law always apply no matter the time or decade.
Eh. For a period of time the genre was indeed dead and it certainly doesnt hold the same position it used to. Feels kind of like saying 3D platformers weren't dead for a long time because Mario still existed. I would however say that our terminology for this phenomenon is poor, "dead" is a term that's meant to be much more complete and final than it is when used in this context.

Reactions: BrawlMan

BrawlMan

Lover of beat'em ups.
Legacy
Mar 10, 2016
Detroit, Michigan
Country
United States of America
Eh. For a period of time the genre was indeed dead and it certainly doesnt hold the same position it used to.
Like Yahtzee had said though, even at that time they didn't die, and just fell into a niche. With the popularity of the Indie circle rising and Xbox live arcade, more of these adventure type games were coming out. Then you have Telltale (for a good while) and the people who made Until Dawn, and everything's back in full swing like nothing happened. Maybe not 100% full swing, but no longer to be considered "dead".

Feels kind of like saying 3D platformers weren't dead for a long time because Mario still existed.
To be fair 3D platformers were still around, they were just going at slower pace. Or doing different things in addition of the collect-a-thon formula. I do admit that during the Wii era, there were more 2D or 2.5D platformers coming back, so that more than made up for it. So I kind of get your point, but that proves that they weren't completely dead as certain people claimed or wanted to believe. By the mid 2010s, 3D platformers not named Mario we're definitely taking center stage again or getting more recognition.

I would however say that our terminology for this phenomenon is poor, "dead" is a term that's meant to be much more complete
Agreed. But like I said before, it seems like more people want to use that term just to fit their narrative and narrow minded view, or use it on games or genres they don't like or hate, and look down upon. I get it: you don't like the game series or genre, but don't be a douchebag about it and piss on everybody else's parade. There are plenty of genres I dislike or despise, but I don't go out of my way to be dicks to people that enjoy them. As much as I been harsh on the cover shooter genre, my main problem was that it stuck around and did so little, yet there so many people trying to defend the crappy gameplay elements of the genre. Most cover shooters didn't do anything different, and were made by the numbers, and hoping to make as much money as possible. That was the scenario 98% of the time. I was also mad at the hypocrisy where people claimed that brawlers are too repetitive, yet they were just as many cover shooters, first or third person, that were just as repetitive or even worse. Anything can become too repetitive if you're literally doing the same thing over and over, don't have a unique and interesting gimmick, or play everything exactly straight. You can have a first-person shooter that's too repetitive. You can have a third person shooter that's too repetitive. You have a puzzle game that's too repetitive. You can have a platformer that's too repetitive, and etc. They are happy to pick and choose one thing, but all of a sudden have a problem and claim that "No, it's completely different! Or is not as bad as that thing!". Trying to make all these arbitrary standards that don't mean anything. Nothing more than ego boosting and meaningless grandstanding.

Last edited:

meiam

Elite Member
Dec 9, 2010
Aren't there 5 bajillions "hidden object" game that are essentially just point and click adventure game but sold to bored housewife? I think the video game community as a whole just moved on from the genre but it never went away.

Dalisclock

Making lemons combustible again
Legacy
Escapist +
Feb 9, 2008
A Barrel In the Marketplace
Country
Eagleland
Aren't there 5 bajillions "hidden object" game that are essentially just point and click adventure game but sold to bored housewife? I think the video game community as a whole just moved on from the genre but it never went away.
Adventure games are now firmly a Indie thing as opposed to a AAA thing(which I guess you could have maybe called them during the golden age of Sierra and LA but AAA wasn't really a thing during the 1990's) and that's probably the way it was inevitably going to head with advancements in tech and the way Adventure games work.

And honestly I'm fine with that because that doesn't mean they need to try to appeal to everyone and spend millions in Marketing and hopefully can do what they do best instead of chasing RPG elements/skill trees/open worlds/etc like a lot of genres feel compelled to do.

hanselthecaretaker

My flask is half full
Legacy
Nov 18, 2010
Seriously though, what is with the gaming industries obsession with claiming these games are genres are "dead"? It doesn't matter if it's gamers, the professional critics/independent, or those from the publishing and developing side themselves. Though the critics tend to be the worst with it. Out of everyone, they love to claim the most that beat'em ups or brawlers are dead. They are running the same racket since the early to mid 2000s. While it's true that there weren't that many brawlers coming out in the late 2000s, they were still plenty in the indie market/xbla/psn that weren't trying to be like Devil May Cry or God of War.

It seems like most of these genres or games aren't dead, as these people like to claim, and it's more so they can't be bothered to play these type of games, hate or dislike these type of games, or indifferent towards them. But if it's a genre they like or have a positive bias towards, then they'll go to the Moon to defend it or them. The same logic can apply to certain developers or game makers with these attitudes.

"Single player is dead. Puzzle games are dead. Platformers are dead. 3D platformers are dead. Call of Duty is dead. Resident Evil is dead. The survival horror genre is dead. Hard games are dead. Arcade racing games are dead. No one plays old games anymore." It's all the same grift, because yeah people that are either insecure about the industry they are in, need to make all the money in the world, or just want to sound like they know everything come off of some wise intellectual.

I still remember that bull crap video from Clean Price Gaming when he said before God of War 4, the 3D hack n slash was "dying and running on fumes" and that they all need RPG elements to survive. I immediately called bullshit on it. And he had literally next to no and service level evidence to back it up. It's just that's how it happened apparently. Only for the Indy market to show them how full of crappy is, and with 2d style brawlers making a major resurgence in the late 2010s to early 2020s. After that video, I already used to stay clear of him. Something was always off about him and fake. Glad I never subscribed or watched too many videos of him.
Don’t you see? If your games aren’t making ALLLLL the monies then they’re dead. DEAD I say!!!

XsjadoBlayde

~it ends here~
Apr 29, 2020
K so Horizon Zero 2 has one major disappointment that itself sets up, which kinda overshadows anything else IMO. This is a clearly established culture/society of messily reverse-engeered ancient sci-fi technology where new robots/machines provide exciting fresh opportunities to create further offensive/defensive technology from defeating them. Yet when the super-powered magic wizard technology of the modern wankers returns to try and fuck all of the tribes up, it seems none of the technology assumedly left by defeating any of them is ever properly used to create cool new weapons or tools or anything whatsoever. This feels like a massive wasted opportunity, I dearly wanted to see what these people could've made from these new materials. I wanted to play with the cool future magic toys!
Though credit where it's due, they did add the option to remove the animation for picking up all the floor items, they be keeping some ears to the grounds of grumbly discourse it seems.

Last edited:

BrawlMan

Lover of beat'em ups.
Legacy
Mar 10, 2016
Detroit, Michigan
Country
United States of America
Between the GC and the Wii, I'd still give it to the Gamecube, but the Wii was no slouch in the games department. While shoed-in motion controls were a problem, there were plenty of 3rd party games that gave the players controller versatility and variety. Nintendo got this wrong and would rarely give you alternate controls options and people were forced to deal with motion controls for better or worse. Usually worse.

The whole, Wii has no games was always a load of shit. There were plenty of shovelware (most of which was PS2 shovleware ported to the system), but people never bothered looking or give the time of day to at least try. I know Nintendo was going for a more casual/family audience, but there were many games on the system for the standard gamer. If anything, a lot of Wii games aged better in looks and gameplay, than many early 360/PS3 games. Especially if they are games on the UR 3 Engine. I will say, once 2011-12, everyone was done with the Wii! Everyone! That part is not a hot take, but fact. Most developers got tired supporting and even Nintendo kinda wanted to move on with the Wii U.

Bob_McMillan

Elite Member
Aug 28, 2014
Country
Philippines
A friend reached out asking me if I wanted to buy his old PS4 games or keyboard. He needs the funds for Valorant skins.

Maybe I'm just old fashioned, but if you get to the point where you're spending that kind of money on essentially nothing, you have a problem. I can already barely justify spending pocket money on skins, I can't imagine paying keyboard money (even used keyboard) to buy jpegs.

BrawlMan

Lover of beat'em ups.
Legacy
Mar 10, 2016
Detroit, Michigan
Country
United States of America
A friend reached out asking me if I wanted to buy his old PS4 games or keyboard. He needs the funds for Valorant skins.

Maybe I'm just old fashioned, but if you get to the point where you're spending that kind of money on essentially nothing, you have a problem. I can already barely justify spending pocket money on skins, I can't imagine paying keyboard money (even used keyboard) to buy jpegs.
He clearly needs help and has an addiction problem. Ain't no way trading in games are worth for some stupid skin. He needs an intervention, pronto! If you can, you might want to reach out to his family.

House of the Dead III has its problems, but gets way too much hate from the community in certain circles. I don't consider it the weakest of the franchise. Controversial and all, but that goes to Overkill. Don't get me wrong, funny game, great music, awesome and hilarious writing, but there is not much to do after beating the game. There are some fun throw away modes, but I highly doubt they'll keep your attention for long. Also, once you get the auto shotgun, and properly upgrade it further, an overpowered weapon becomes even more overpowered. At that point, there is no reason to buy other guns, or just save your points for when the auto shotty becomes available. Your score multiplier and combos will almost never drop.

I find Ayane from Dead or Alive, one of the weakest leading ladies in a fighting game franchise. I get why she's popular. I get it, but not much was done with her backstory or one-sided rivalry/hatred of her sister, Kasumi. Which has always been problem with the DOA franchise. Wasting character plots or letting them drag on, and not being resolved until 5. What did not help matters was that Ayane was an unsympathetic biatch, and acted like an asshole to nearly everyone in the cast, aside from Ryu and Hayate. Yeah you can on and on about her tragic backstory, but it does not excuse her attitudes in earlier titles, nor make her compelling. Also, the game does more telling than showing. Funny enough, it was not until Itagaki's firing that the team got their act together and finally started softening her up around some of the spin-offs and mainly in 5.

Bob_McMillan

Elite Member
Aug 28, 2014
Country
Philippines
He clearly needs help and has an addiction problem. Ain't no way trading in games are worth for some stupid skin. He needs an intervention, pronto! If you can, you might want to reach out to his family.
I doubt he's gone as far as to be addicted, more than likely its a coping mechanism while he goes through med school. Definitely not a healthy coping mechanism, but not as bad as addiction. Dude is from a rich ass family, so he's not exactly endangering his financial status either.