Your Windows 10 Experiences

gorfias

Unrealistic but happy
Legacy
May 13, 2009
Country
USA
What's happened so far for you on Windows 10?

Me?
The bad:
I had to adjust my video card fan. It was almost off after upgrade. Now it is at 120 Degrees and can be slugish.

My 2nd monitor seems to not come up automatically.

I just bought Humble Bundle with Tom Clancy Games for Uplay. None work yet.

Good:

I like Cortana.

I got a real start button back!

Interfaces seem easier to use than Windows 8.

Not certain I don't miss 7 yet.

You?

DefunctTheory

Not So Defunct Now
Mar 30, 2010
-Install.
-Windows keeps downloading broken driver for nVidia card that kills second monitor. Continues to overwrite all attempts to put right drivers on.
-15 minutes later, discover how to stop automatic driver updates. Video card works perfectly.
-Smooth sailing for a week.
-Can't get Mechwarrior 3 to work (Unsurprising).
-Smooth sailing til this very moment.

Additional

-Microsoft Edge actually is pretty nice. May switch when add-ons are supported.
-Cortana has a pretty good sense of humor.
-Don't miss Windows 7 (Except for Mechwarrior 3).

Creator002

Aug 30, 2010
The good:
Installed first go on both PCs, no problems.
Video card on destop used to fail a fair bit on 7, now it's fine, mostly.
Mixing the Windows 7 and 8 start menus is OK. I used some apps on 8 on my laptop, so it's good to use on my desktop as well.
Most programs I have still work fine as well as symbiotic links I made to decrease the wear on my SSD.

The bad:
Razor Synapse had to be reinstalled twice to work.
Cortana doesn't work in Australia yet.

FalloutJack

Bah weep grah nah neep ninny bom
Nov 20, 2008

*Sits up, looks around, and notices the camera*

Oh, hi. I haven't made the switch here. In fact, I never even got that little icon on my computer. I'm still on Windows 7, so I got nothing to tell, I'm afraid. Uhh...next person?

*Sips a cold drink and takes in some rays*

tm96

Feb 1, 2014
Downloading it was a mild annoyance since it was a large file on a crowded network.

Good- Microsoft you did good with Edge keep it up and I might have to drop Chrome entirely. No more metro menu. Its smooth and plays nice with most of my stuff (I haven't tried it with my MIDI keyboard or Cubase yet so it could throw a fit with those two)

Bad- I can't get Cortana because I live the UK. Thats it.

I haven't had much trouble with it.

gorfias

Unrealistic but happy
Legacy
May 13, 2009
Country
USA
FalloutJack said:

*Sits up, looks around, and notices the camera*

Oh, hi. I haven't made the switch here. In fact, I never even got that little icon on my computer. I'm still on Windows 7, so I got nothing to tell, I'm afraid. Uhh...next person?

*Sips a cold drink and takes in some rays*
Why I'm having some issues with 10. There's a learning curve. Anytime a game doesn't work, I'm thinking it was 10.

If I ever have to rebuild my PC, I have 8 on disc, not 10. I'd have to rebuild it as 8 and hope I can still upgrade to 10 again.

I prefer 7. Heck, I preferred Windows 98 SE which is sooo not supported anymore. A buddy asked me to his office to help as his computer no longer worked on the internet. This was about 2 years ago and I was sad to say to him: dude: this is win 98 se. Web pages no longer work with Netscape 4.0

XP is no longer supported. It came out in 2001. Win 7 was made available in 2009. You still have time. My only concern for you would be plug and play on future hardware you may want to install could be problematic.

kasperbbs

Dec 27, 2009
The bad:
Some driver error pops up every time i boot, i have no idea which one and i'm too lazy to find out since it doesn't do anything but annoy me.
My external HDD stops working sometimes so i have to unplug it and plug it back in, it's a pretty rare occurance.
AIMP3 player sometimes bugs out and i can't access it without first killing the app with task manager, perhaps it was fixed with the recent update since i can't break it now.

The good:
Works as well as 8 did, personally i don't feel that much of a difference, i had a start button installed on 8 which i used as rarely as i do now and probably the only noticeable difference between them is the notification tray which is pretty neat. Cortana is not supported for my country and language and probably will never be.

CeeBod

Sep 4, 2012
I just got a new laptop which came with Win10 installed, and it's mostly pissing me off - I'm not actually sure if all of the problems I'm having are down to Win10, but having no older OS to revert to on this system means I'm kinda stuck with it, and right now whenever I have any kind of problem at all I'm assuming it's Windows 10's fault! :/

Video streaming on iPlayer, NetFlix and various anime sites all have random intermittent pauses, even though I'm on a mostly rock solid fibre internet connection, and even when the video stream is completely buffered ahead of play-through. Steam seems to be incapable of installing a game to my SSD in less than 5 tries (Disk write errors or failed verification checks), and as that's my OS drive, I'm thinking that permissions for overwriting / creating temp files or something may be screwing it up. When I finally beat it into submission and get a game on there it seems to work fine, so it shouldn't be a hardware issue (I hope!). Also the Steam first time setup where it tries to download C++ libraries or similar seems to upset Win10 in some way - sometimes it just ends the process with no warning, no message, and leaving me no wiser as to what just happened. And when I had a heavily modded Skyrim crash, it corrupted some .dlls for the ENB which it then wouldn't let me re-install separately. I had to completely uninstall and then re-install Skyrim before it worked again, every more sensible solution I tried just flat out failed - yay for unnecessary 11Gb downloads :/

Oh to end on a more positive note, the boot-up process is lightning fast, and at least it doesn't fanny about trying to be a touch-screen iPad like Windows h8 did - this is a potentially decent OS, but it needs some serious bugfixes.

LordLundar

Apr 6, 2004
AccursedTheory said:
Woah! Wait a moment here. You actually managed to get MW3 to run on anything newer than Win98 to begin with?

sonicneedslovetoo

Jul 6, 2015
The bad:
All kinds of backdoors preinstalled for better serving ads, I can't wait to see what hackers do with them.
Creepy surveillance thing that spies on your kids and sends you emails about their activity, plenty of ways to abuse that or use that to actually abuse people.
Inability to turn off automatic updates that can put my computer into an endless reboot cycle of failed updates or forcing me to install updates that break things on my computer.
You can't turn off Windows 10 talking back to Microsoft no matter what you do, it will tell you things are turned off but testing done by arstechnica shows that its still collecting and sending that data back to Microsoft. I expect in the future once the OS stops being so profitable they'll just change it so the privacy switches are placebos so they can make more ad money.
It is set to automatically use your computer and internet bandwidth as a bittorrent server for windows updates by default.
Windows 10 can literally blow out displays on certain laptops, no no seriously it can literally DESTROY YOUR LAPTOP'S SCREEN:
http://forum.notebookreview.com/threads/windows-10-nvidia-whql-drivers-are-killing-alienware-and-now-maybe-clevo-lcd-panels.779449/
https://forums.geforce.com/default/topic/862417/geforce-drivers/windows-10-official-353-62-drivers-are-killing-samsung-and-lg-notebook-lcd-display-panels/1/
It is set to automatically give out your wifi password to anybody on your contact lists(Skype, Microsoft account etc.) and automatically connects to "trusted" wifi points but without any example as to what a "trusted" wifi point is.
The EULA is entirely unclear and is wide reaching to a frightening degree.

The Good:
I can't think of any positives that outweigh this all you can eat buffet for malware.

Cavouku

Mar 14, 2008
The Good
-I like a start menu

The Bad
-My mousepad won't work on my laptop. I have to use touchscreen for everything, and am livid about it. Already posted to the help forums. Yes I tried enabling the device in hardware. Yes I fiddled with mousekeys. No it did not come back when I reverted to 8.1.
-Slower than 8.1 for me.
-Generally not fond of some of the aesthetics. I might be more willing to change them IF I HAD A MOUSE.

I didn't try an external mouse. Because I don't have one right now. I also feel that I should not need to resort to that. If anyone here has advice, I have an Acer Aspire One (V5?) netbook, and the mousepad is Elan Smart-Pad.

DefunctTheory

Not So Defunct Now
Mar 30, 2010
LordLundar said:
AccursedTheory said:
Woah! Wait a moment here. You actually managed to get MW3 to run on anything newer than Win98 to begin with?
I did get it to run (Kind of weirdly) on Windows 7. Sometimes it would crash and tanks and hover vehicles would sometimes shoot up to the moon for no reason, but otherwise, it worked.

Imperioratorex Caprae

Henchgoat Emperor
May 15, 2010
Bad: Initial upgrade had a massive memory leak due to some brokeded drivers. A downgrade and reinstall fixed that.

Good: Everything from previous install works perfect, and some increase to overall FPS (nothing major but the average is up). CPU seems to run a bit cooler.

Overall experience is positive, but nothing I'd say as huge difference other than GUI presentation.

FalloutJack

Bah weep grah nah neep ninny bom
Nov 20, 2008
Gorfias said:
Given some of the things being written in this thread, I would say 10's an unacceptable venture, so my goal would be work-arounds since Windows obviously can't make an OS that works BETTER than what I've got right now.

gxs

Apr 16, 2009
Gorfias said:
What's happened so far for you on Windows 10?
I just bought Humble Bundle with Tom Clancy Games for Uplay. None work yet.
I don't know what games you tried but Splinter Cell - Blacklist works fine here.

OT: Works better than the myriad of bugs I found on win8 (yes I'm really anal about everything including random errors in event viewer). Below bugs are from a clean install of win10.

Still has a load of bugs that need squishing like some known bugs from Win8:
- random errors on shutdown (strings get closed to fast on my SSD leading to error screens on shutdowns/reboots, had this problem on Win8 as well)
- random errors in even viewer (The Contact Data_Session1 service terminated unexpectedly, had this problem on Win8 as well)

And it has some problems of its own like:
- If another user is logged on and you close the session the window that notifies you that you're closing another session is limited to the start menu. As in if you resize the menu to one row only which I did then half of the notification including the prompt to accept gets cut off. (How this bug went through unsquished before release is beyond me.)
- Random USB problems with my keyboard not being detected (I suspect faulty USB drivers for my MB, didn't experience this on win7 or 8 though)
- Random sound pops when starting any game (only at start, nothing major, didn't experience this on win7 or 8 though)
- Bipolar settings menu (this OS has two control panels, one is useless and often opens the old control panel and the other doesn't have some options the new one has so you're forced to use both)
- Problems with UAC (some apps don't honour the administrative privileges assigned to them (could be due to the apps though but still annoying so I just disabled UAC through registry, on another note why give us the option to disable UAC from settings if said option doesn't work)

As you can see this version still has a long way to go but at least it's better than win8. I have all three versions (licenced) and for me it's win7>win10>win8. Never could get win8 to work nicely with my PC. I would go back to win7 but I'm too lazy to format my system again so I'm stuck with it for a while (no revert option due to clean install because I switched from the old BIOS to UEFI boot system).

Just my 2?.

Wakey87

Sep 20, 2011
I'm still using windows 7 on my main PC but I downloaded it for my laptop and it seems abit better aesthetically over 8. Thats pretty much all I can say since I only use the laptop to watch movies and streams on my TV.

mad825

Mar 28, 2010
Cavouku said:
The Good
-My mousepad won't work on my laptop. I have to use touchscreen for everything, and am livid about it. Already posted to the help forums.
Tried looking on your manufacturer's website for drivers? Even the old ones might still work.

madwarper

Mar 17, 2011
I'm also having Synaptics PS/2 Touchpad issues since "upgrading" to 10. When I press a key, it locks me out from moving the pointer via my Touchpad.

I set the Windows 10 Settings on Touchpad to [No delay (always on)], but that didn't stop the problem.

Then, I uninstalled the Touchpad driver, I was able to move the pointer, regardless of any keys pressed... But, it enabled all the other shit I don't want; Tap to click, Scrolling, Pinch zooming, etc.

So, I installed the latest Touchpad driver, turned off all the shit, but the old problem returned and I can no longer move the pointer while pressing a key.