Your Wonder Trade experience

Svartfalk

Jun 28, 2010
So today I had the wonderful luck of getting a good pokémon on wonder trade.
That got me thinking.
What is your experience of wonder trade?

I know that a LOT of people just use it to trade of those they already had or simply don't want any more, but I want to know what you think on the subject. Is it a good thing or a bad thing?

The thing that happened to me today was that I got a shiny Ditto from Japan.
That and the fact that it's a good way to fill up your pokédex a bit faster that it would otherwise was makes it overall a good thing for me, but as with many great things, it's often misused by people.

nyankaty

Nov 4, 2013
I've never gotten anything good on it except a Froakie (which I needed anyway) but I do still love it! I like throwing Quick Balls at any and everything, so I go to places with level 45+ Pokes and I grab them and send them on through Wonder Trade. I hope one day I'll get something good - maybe a shiny or a legendary or something, but I always go in expecting nothing. I just like sending high level monsters to people who might want them.

It is fun, but I do sometimes I want to rip my hair out after having gotten dozens of low level Furfrous.

Corven

Forever Gonzo
Sep 10, 2008
So far The only pokemon of note that I have picked up through wondertrade are all the starters, an elekid, vulpix, and an abra. Everything else has been trash pokemon like flabebe.

Story

Note to self: Prooof reed posts
Sep 4, 2013
Whoa, I can't imagine getting a shiny that way!
That's pretty amazing!
I played with wonder trade a lot the other day. Basically, I was catching Poliwags and trading the pokemon i got that I already had out. Repeating until I got something new. I ended up with 25+ new 'Mons at the end of the day. Many of whom were exclusive to the other version, so I was pretty happy.
I also got quite a few Scatterbugs, which I kinda enjoyed because their wing patterns are different depending on what region they were from. So yeah, I was pretty bored that day and it was something to do.

Yopaz

Sarcastic overlord
Jun 3, 2009
I haven't done in for a while since I intend to get Pokemon worth trading first and also getting the starters in order to breed them and send them out.

As far as things go I've only received crap. I got a Fletchling which is a Pokemon I like and when it gets extra experience then I'm quite happy. Since then Charizard has taken its place since I don't need more than one flying or fire type anyway.

hickwarrior

a samurai... devil summoner?
Nov 7, 2007
Hit and miss. But it's nice to get the miles from it. Gotta get dem scales if ever I need them.

Scorched_Cascade

Innocence proves nothing
Sep 26, 2008
Yopaz said:
As far as things go I've only received crap. I got a Fletchling which is a Pokemon I like and when it gets extra experience then I'm quite happy. Since then Charizard has taken its place since I don't need more than one flying or fire type anyway.
Fletchinder, the second evolution in its chain, has the "Flame Body" ability which's effect (outside of battle) is to half the number of cycles needed for an eggs to hatch while it is in the party. Very useful when on breeding sprees.

OT: I haven't got anything good. Relevant info here is that I was catching every pokemon on a route before progressing and have been doing extensive trading with friends for exclusives so it's a little unfair of me to expect ones I haven't already gotten.

-When I first got the option to, I Wonder traded a Bunnelby and got a Japanese Pansage in return

-Since then I've wonder traded a dozen freshly hatched Vulpix (from Ninetails/Ditto) and gotten back nothing past the beginner forest in exchange (Usually a Fletchling or a Caterpie/Weedle).

I currently have a full box full of Fennekins that I'm considering sending to Wondertrade rather than releasing.

Thereisbearcum

Mar 10, 2013
My brother got a shiny Caterpie through wonder trade, which really made his day, and I got a few pokerus carriers from my pokeradar trades. Other than that it's been hit and miss for us. I think its a great system.

Alleged_Alec

Sep 2, 2008
I'm trying to make people's days a bit weirder. I'm leveling a group of 5 bidoofs, all having names like "No regrets" to 100, unlearning every ability except for tail wag and then wonder trading them.

Yopaz

Sarcastic overlord
Jun 3, 2009
Scorched_Cascade said:
Yopaz said:
Fletchinder, the second evolution in its chain, has the "Flame Body" ability which's effect (outside of battle) is to half the number of cycles needed for an eggs to hatch while it is in the party. Very useful when on breeding sprees.
Dude, thank you so much. I hatched 5 Squirtles yesterday and I intend to keep going with the other starters I've got. This is something I sincerely appreciate being told. Again, thanks.

The_Echo

Mar 18, 2009
Mostly shit.

The only good Wonder Trades I've gotten were a Skrelp and a Squirtle/Wartortle.

Despite starters being fairly common in WT, not once did I ever get a Chespin, which was the only one I needed. Meanwhile I saw maybe seven different Froakies and three or so Fennekins.

I tend to see a lot of really common 'mon, like Bunnelby or Bidoof. Almost always at level one.

I wish the online trading scene were less scummy.

TimeLord

For the Emperor!
Legacy
Aug 15, 2008
Actually gotten more good than bad in Wonder Trades. Yeah I've gotten the obligatory Weedles and Pidgeys but also got Dittos, starters, Haunters etc

Even got a fully EV trained Japanese Mawile (Attack Defence) lv66!

Also, for giggles, started breeding Oddish by the box load, naming them all 420BLAZEIT, giving them Burn heals and sending them out into Wonder Trade

Scarim Coral

Jumped the ship
Legacy
Oct 29, 2010
Country
UK
If I remember corretly, this happened last week in one session-

I traded a Geodude and gotten a female Pupitar (since I own X so I don't get that Pokemon).

I then traded a Sandslash and gotten a level 1 Bagon with Adamant nature however I already owned a level 14 version with the same gender and nature (I still gonna used me since I want to nickname her).

Lastly I traded a Sneavel and got a level 1 female Froakie with Modest nature AND it had Pokerus!!! Good thing I spoted that before putting her via GTS (while the nature is good but I picked tha Pokemon in the first place)!

I also got a Ditto in a previous trade aswell.

In saying so there was one session that I had crappy trades which were previous Pokemons I already own.

AdrianCeltigar

Jan 8, 2011
I've gotten lots of good stuff actually.
-Modest Goomy with its Hidden Ability
-Modest Ralts (presumably the one get via an in-game trade but I hadn't gotten to that point and I love Gardevoir)
-Modest Eevee
-Adamant Pancham
-Scyther
-Volcarona (Twice!)
Plus a ton more. I got a Ditto pretty early on this way, and a Mawile just recently. I have Y and I've gotten some X exclusives too (still no Houndour though!) Even some pokemon who evolve when traded such as Haunter and Graveller.

I've also gotten a fair bit of trash in return, or stuff that I didn't really need. I even got a Pidgey nicknamed "F$%@ YOU" once.

I breed a lot so I've put up a great deal of version exclusives and Fossil pokemon, as well as some Froakies and some dragons. I do try to keep things relatively interesting though.

Tropicaz

Aug 7, 2012
I felt horrible at the start as i'm doing a run where I only use Wonder traded pokes to go through the game with, and when 1 dies I wonder trade it for a new one. Meant I ended up sending out 1 fennekin and 5 scatterbugs/fletchlings on wondertrade to begin with.

Anyways, so far in my team I've got a graveler(that evolved to Golem), a japanese version of aegislash's first evolution (dunno its name since it's in japanese characters), an eevee, an adamant speed boost torchic (now combusken), a ferroseed and a squirtle(now wartortle). had plenty of other decent things too, but a ton of rubbish.

I thought it would be an awful feature but it's actually really fun.

Leemaster777

Feb 25, 2010
Tropicaz said:
I felt horrible at the start as i'm doing a run where I only use Wonder traded pokes to go through the game with, and when 1 dies I wonder trade it for a new one. Meant I ended up sending out 1 fennekin and 5 scatterbugs/fletchlings on wondertrade to begin with.

Anyways, so far in my team I've got a graveler(that evolved to Golem), a japanese version of aegislash's first evolution (dunno its name since it's in japanese characters), an eevee, an adamant speed boost torchic (now combusken), a ferroseed and a squirtle(now wartortle). had plenty of other decent things too, but a ton of rubbish.

I thought it would be an awful feature but it's actually really fun.
That is a freaking awesome idea. A Wonder Trade run. If I ever decide to restart my save file, I'm totally gonna do that.

OT: I've gotten alot of trash, but some honest gems from Wonder Trade. I've gotten a Protean Froakie with good IVs, a level 76 Tyrantrum named Megatron, version exclusives, a Rotom, and lots of other Pokemon I didn't have in the dex yet.

Incidentally, I usually send out whatever I'm currently breeding on to the Wonder Trade. Usually starters or Pokemon with egg moves.

For example, I was breeding Torchics for while, and sent out all the one's I didn't need on Wonder Trade.

...I nicknamed every female one Scootaloo first.

TimeLord

For the Emperor!
Legacy
Aug 15, 2008
Shanicus said:
TimeLord said:
Actually gotten more good than bad in Wonder Trades. Yeah I've gotten the obligatory Weedles and Pidgeys but also got Dittos, starters, Haunters etc

Even got a fully EV trained Japanese Mawile (Attack Defence) lv66!

Also, for giggles, started breeding Oddish by the box load, naming them all 420BLAZEIT, giving them Burn heals and sending them out into Wonder Trade
YOU ************, IT WAS YOU! (ok, didn't get 420BLAZEIT from you but I did get it from someone else)

YOU'LL BE GLAD TO KNOW THAT 420BLAZEIT IS NOW A LEVEL 54 VILEPLUME. HE IS DOING WELL.

*Cough* Anyways, besides the unfortunately-named-but-still-awesome Oddish I received, I've got mostly good things from the wonder trade - Goomy with it's hidden ability, dex fillers, about 4-5 Gourgeists (one of which is in my current X party), lvl.1 Noibats, Protean Froakies (it's always fucking Froakies as well), Hawlucha with it's hidden ability, a level 97 Dragonite with Adamant Nature holding a Ampharosite, Male Ralts with Naughty nature and a Dawn Stone, Roserade, 3 level 1 Honedge with Pokerus...

my current ratio of good to terrible pokemon is about 3/1. Considering my current strategy is just to trade off my spare breeding pokemon (a box of Bagon, Fenniken, Dratini, Goomy and Whismur all with their hidden abilities) or rare pokemon I've got multiples of (FUCKING KANGASHKANS I DON'T WANT 12 OF YOU) I hope I'm contributing to the good moreso than the bad pile.

have yet to get a Zyguarde or Zapdos though...
I am glad 420BLAZEIT is doing well. It really is a shame you can't rename attacks. I'd totally name one of its attack 'JUSTBLAZE'

joshuaayt

Vocal SJW
Nov 15, 2009
Ugh. I just got a really good Gothorita, with a special attack + nature, named "GraveyardGRL".
I use it, because, fuck, it's around my party's level and kicks ass... but, I feel gross every time I read that name.

I like the idea- you're not gonna get anything you couldn't catch normally, except for some baby starters or something, but it's a fun way to diversify your team. Seeing as you almost always get pokemon people have bred, you can use it at the beginning and play with a completely different team each run.

Foolery

No.
Jun 5, 2013
Mixed results really. I bred one box each of the Kanto starters and sent them out. I've gotten Archen, Eevee, a Gothorita named lady, Amaura, Machamp, a japanese Ditto, and some junk.