Your worst setting for a game

BladeOfAkriloth

Jun 30, 2009
Kollega said:
Official worst setting evar is Warhammer 40000. It's so over-the-top and grimdark that it's not even funny.

you don't like wh 40000..... BURN THE HERETIC, TRAITOR OF THE IMPERIUM gzgzggzg sorry, fanboy rage, but you don't like 40k..... didn't think it was humanly possible...

Simalacrum

Resident Juggler
Apr 17, 2008
hmmmm... impart from World War II? (due to it being overused) I think the potential for a REALLY IMAGINATIVE setting (like, say, a dream world!)... but the development team is crap. that setting would probably annoy me most because of the lost potential.

AroLombardi

Apr 16, 2009
FoOd77 said:
TheRedLucario said:
WrongSprite said:
Don't be a dick, /thread makes you look like an idiot.

World War 2 happens to be my favourite setting.
It was a joke. Jesus. 'Least I didn't go "FIRST!".

And World War games I find completely unimaginative and brings nothing insanely fun. If you play one war game, you played them all, just with different graphics.
I don't know, there is still some untapped resources for WWII games. Personally I'd love to play a WWII game taking place in Finland when they fought off Russia.
Meh. War games aren't even that gory. Now No More Heroes....that was a great game.

lleihsad

Apr 9, 2009
Kollega said:
Official "Worst-Setting-EVAR" is Warhammer 40000. It's so over-the-top and grimdark that it's not even funny.

But JRPGs come in as a close second.
Warhammer 40K is so hyper-badass and GRIMDARK that you kind of have to approach it like parody. The presence of Orkz kind helps in viewing it that way. I guess I'm saying that it's so over-the-top that it IS funny, if you look for the humor in it.

I'll second the World War II motion. It wouldn't be so bad if original takes on the theme weren't so uncommon. It's almost always European Theater as the American or British forces. Hell, it was a notable change to be playing in that same theater as the RUSSIANS. That's a pretty low standard for variation.

Personally, my favorite WWII-themed setting version is the Wolfenstein series.

Zani

May 14, 2008
TheRedLucario said:
World War setting is waaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaay overused.

/thread
There are still unused World War settings, The Saboteur looks pretty good and a game based on the setting from the movie Defiance would be awesome.

MrBrightside919

Oct 2, 2008
I'd hate to play a game where I was trapped in a redundant forum question where there was really no point behind the question other than trying to rack up more posts...

Kajt

Feb 20, 2009
My least liked setting would be fantasy forests, like Elwynn Forest from World of Warcraft for example.

My favourite setting would be swamps, like in Morrowind.

typhoon17

May 24, 2009
How about any setting/environment where a building/door/tree can't be knocked down/blown up. Really, advanced weapons and armor but your character gets stuck on a box/pole/etc?

IE Battlefield 2142, tough guy soldier can't run over 1 foot railroad tracks.

Kinguendo

Apr 10, 2009
Inverted controls is definately the worst setting... "Ooooh, controversial"(!) :D

Yeah, WW2. Its done too much and any time someone tries to put a unique twist on it then it doesnt sell, or even be an actually good game.

Markgraf

Apr 1, 2009
Water Dungeons/Levels (Goddamn Water Temple in OoT and Labyrinth Zone in Sonic)

AlexanderAstartes

Afternoon Delight
Jan 1, 2008
Generally I enjoy dystopian settings.

Fantasy as well, but only when done right. Divine Divinity and the Witcher were my favourite fantasy worlds, purely because they were darker than the usual High Fantasy (which I also enjoy).

WrongSprite

Resident Morrowind Fanboy
Aug 10, 2008
TheRedLucario said:
WrongSprite said:
Don't be a dick, /thread makes you look like an idiot.

World War 2 happens to be my favourite setting.
It was a joke. Jesus. 'Least I didn't go "FIRST!".

And World War games I find completely unimaginative and brings nothing insanely fun. If you play one war game, you played them all, just with different graphics.
Play Blitzkrieg. Play Company of Heroes. Play the original Call of Duty. Tell me they're identical.