You're a guy on a date. Who pays?

DementedSheep

Jan 8, 2010
It depends on the circumstances. Usually I find it easiest if people just pay for their own or split the cost 50/50 but If I have money and the guy dose not or is saving and wants me to pay then I?ll pay for both, its not a big deal. I don?t like people paying for my meals. It?s unnecessary . Woman can have decent jobs now, there is no reason for the guy to pay for everything.

latenightapplepie

Nov 9, 2008
LaughingJester said:
p.s I have written this from the guys perspective because I AM A GUY, but my escapist sisters please drop your comments too!
I am a guy. And I almost always pay an equal share on dates. Because I date other guys, and there's no awkward gender politics.

May 28, 2009
Usually I split it or work out a system. Like if I pay for the film she pays for popcorn and snacks. But that does not mean I can't treat my gf by paying for everything when I can afford to :p

mussics

Aug 11, 2011
1. Excuse yourself to the toilet.
2. Find a window.
3. Escape through that window.
4. ?????
5. PROFIT!

Svenparty

Jan 13, 2009
Usually the chloroform means I have to pay...

I noticed that I ended up paying the majority of the time for dates because otherwise I'm probably not going to be able to go out with the girl if she has no money.

FamoFunk

Dad, I'm in space.
Mar 10, 2010
Whoever asked should pay tbh.

Joint decision? Split it or pay for your own.

Honestly, I would hate to be asked out by a bloke who I was "getting on with" and expected to pay. You asked me.
If we both agreed to go out, I'd feel awfully rude about not paying or at least offering.

poleboy

May 19, 2008
Whoever has more money. I think (hope) we are past the days where going on a date with a woman was a sort of trial run, where you get to prove you have enough money to "buy" her from her father.

If you're both poor, go dutch. If you're both rich, you don't need to ask this question. :p

TheTim

Jan 23, 2010
I always pay when i go out with my girlfriend, mainly because i have more money.

Jan 11, 2009
I usually offer to pay myself but they usually say something like "Oh no that's fine I'll pay half" then after some fake insisting I let them pay. It's just easier that way.

ultrachicken

Dec 22, 2009
Brutal Peanut said:
I am a female and I've never really dated all that much, to be honest. I've only been on a handful of dates. At the beginning of the meal, I'd just ask the waiter/waitress to put my meal on a separate bill. Seemed easier.

I used to pay for my meal when I met my Husband, now he snatches that piece of paper off the table right when it's set down. Not that it matters - in a way, it can be seen as the same money since we do share that account. But for some reason, he still likes to be the one to pay. lol
Maybe he just wants to impress the waiters?

OT: I think there are different factors to be taken into consideration, but the most important one is who asked who out? The one who offers to take someone else out to dinner should pay, but if it's a pre-existing relationship, then different rules can, and should be considered. But I don't think gender should have to do with who pays.