YouTube Gaming Star PewDiePie Turns Off Comments For Good

Karavision

Oct 13, 2011
All comments should be turned off. We should go back to sites hosting their own forums. Too many trolls. Too many shills. Too many voices that have no basis in fact. Too much spam. 4chan, Fark and Reddit is where most of the stuff posted in all comment sections should be kept.

dragongit

Feb 22, 2011
Great, not all hate letters and comments will be directly sent to e-mails, facebook, twitter, ect. I am not defending this guy. Far from it, I think he's garbage and refuse to even watch anything of his directly to avoid giving him money. I've seen things indirectly from other sources, and can see just how horrible it is. I'm just saying that the hate comments will find their way. And it will put a damper on those who were actual fans.

go-10

Feb 3, 2010
he makes 4 million a year? 0__0

I don't care if you hate or love him, that amount of dough is not easy to make in a lifetime let alone a year. If all the other posts are anything to go by is that Pewd's is a GENIUS because despite how horribly god awful he is (according to the posters above.below me) he can still accumulate enough views to make 4 MILLION a year! I will go subscribe right now and learn what I must do to make that amount of money, but unlike him I won't do it for love of video games, screw that, it's all for that sweet, sweet MONEY!

Zepherus14

Jan 24, 2012
To be fair, Pewdiepie is not my favourite by far, I have similar opinions to quite a few people in the thread above.

BUT

I have to admit that while he was talking about ALS, I honestly have to agree with him on his opinion there. I really think him just giving the money and spending the time to actually give some info about the actual disease, however little he spoke about it, was pretty impressive on his part. He could have thrown a bucket on his head and everyone laugh, but he used his influence for something better than that, I have to give him some credit. So putting all the thoughts I have for his persona, whether or not he 'deserves' the money he makes, or what have you... etc.

What he did for ALS research was rather touching and admirable.

Jupiter065

Aug 12, 2008
Karavision said:
All comments should be turned off. We should go back to sites hosting their own forums. Too many trolls. Too many shills. Too many voices that have no basis in fact. Too much spam. 4chan, Fark and Reddit is where most of the stuff posted in all comment sections should be kept.
Too bad this'll never happen, because content creators long ago discovered that having comments makes people go back to articles again and again to read comments, post comments, Like comments, upvote comments, downvote comments, argue, and otherwise waste their precious fleeting time on this earth. And each time they go back or f5 or whatever, that's another pageview, and another few cents of ad revenue. Comments sections or articles are a cynical cashgrab and I would gladly see them go away forever.

And yes, I am aware of the irony in my posting this in the comment section of an article.

Sniper Team 4

Apr 28, 2010
GZGoten said:

I don't care if you hate or love him, that amount of dough is not easy to make in a lifetime let alone a year. If all the other posts are anything to go by is that Pewd's is a GENIUS because despite how horribly god awful he is (according to the posters above.below me) he can still accumulate enough views to make 4 MILLION a year! I will go subscribe right now and learn what I must do to make that amount of money, but unlike him I won't do it for love of video games, screw that, it's all for that sweet, sweet MONEY!
It is kind of hard to understand how he makes that much money when nearly every single comment on this article is about how terrible he is. One gets the feeling that no one likes him and everyone takes joy in saying how much he sucks and...oh, I think I see why he turned the comments off. Youtube is so much worse than other websites.

I've never heard of the guy, but four million dollars a year is nothing to laugh at. I with I could have just one forth of that.

FogHornG36

Jan 29, 2011
From the guy that has videos were he screams like a wounded seal about raping and not wanting to be raped by a pig!

Game Grumps don't have to turn off comments, and the most annoying thing they get is people talking about jontron.

Lightknight

Mugwamp Supreme
Nov 26, 2008
This just in, kid takes ball, leaves playground.

I understand why he's doing it, I'm just far more in favor of allowing discussion rather than stamping it out. Still his ball, technically speaking.

CardinalPiggles

Jun 24, 2010
Well that was certainly better than the first video of his I saw (his channel montage thing).

He actually seems like a pretty cool guy, capable of actually communicating through means of the English language rather than his stupid shouting yelling screaming nonsense. And he actually knows what ALS is which is always nice to see.

More on topic I'm surprised he hadn't made this decision earlier, seeing as he most likely gets millions of off topic or hateful comments every week.

It would probably drive him insane to try and make any kind of sense of his comments sections for too long.

Racecarlock

Jul 10, 2010
-Ezio- said:
the fact that he has fans is baffling to me.
Hey, uh, internet? Please stop acting shocked when it turns out people have different tastes. You've grown up with humanity, you've seen it in action, please stop acting like this is some kind of insane new discovery.

-Ezio-

Eats Nuts, Kicks Butts.
Nov 17, 2009
Racecarlock said:
-Ezio- said:
Hey, uh, internet? Please stop acting shocked when it turns out people have different tastes. You've grown up with humanity, you've seen it in action, please stop acting like this is some kind of insane new discovery.
oh shit sorry. i thought forums like this were for expressing your opinion. my mistake.

crepesack

May 20, 2008
Sniper Team 4 said:
GZGoten said:

It is kind of hard to understand how he makes that much money when nearly every single comment on this article is about how terrible he is. One gets the feeling that no one likes him and everyone takes joy in saying how much he sucks and...oh, I think I see why he turned the comments off. Youtube is so much worse than other websites.

I've never heard of the guy, but four million dollars a year is nothing to laugh at. I with I could have just one forth of that.
Even the people bad mouthing him make him money.

Xan Krieger

Completely insane
Feb 11, 2009
anonymity88 said:
Me55enger said:
$4 million a year.

Four million dollars a year.

A. Year.

Driver, let me off at the next stop please.
It is truly mind boggling. My mind has been boggled.
More mind blowing and confusing than any Metal Gear Solid game's plot. I mean even the huge plot twists of Metal Gear Solid 2 can't compare to someone making 4 million dollars per year just by being funny while playing games. If that's all it takes to be a millionaire in today's world then fuck it, nuke the planet, let's start over. Invent a time machine that only goes forward and let's go around again.

Racecarlock

Jul 10, 2010
-Ezio- said:
Racecarlock said:
-Ezio- said:
oh shit sorry. i thought forums like this were for expressing your opinion. my mistake.
Just because it's an opinion doesn't mean it can't be challenged. That's how freedom of speech works. I can use my freedom of speech to challenge your speech which you had the freedom to make.

Sanunes

Mar 18, 2011
Bolo The Great said:
PewDiePie is a persona and a character. He has that irritating energy level to appeal to his watches who are usually early to mid teens. I can't really muster the energy to hate him because he isn't really doing anything wrong or harmful he just makes some dumb but popular videos on the internet for what are essentially kids.

From what I've heard from everyone who has interacted with him in real life he is actually very pleasant and humble. Being mad at PewDiePie is like being mad at teeny pop music. He's simply serving an audience you are not part of.
I agree, I think a lot of the people that visit The Escapist are older then his average audience so we don't understand it. Now if you excuse me I have some kids to chase off my lawn.

Janaschi

Scion of Delphi
Aug 21, 2012
Racecarlock said:
-Ezio- said:
Racecarlock said:
-Ezio- said:
Just because it's an opinion doesn't mean it can't be challenged. That's how freedom of speech works. I can use my freedom of speech to challenge your speech which you had the freedom to make.
That is absolutely not how Freedom of Speech works. You really should read into Freedom of Speech, and learn how it only applies to the U.S. government, and how it cannot dictate what its citizens can and cannot say (within reason - for instance, death threats and hate speech are illegal to a large degree).

Brian Tams

Sep 3, 2012
" Felix Kjellberg"

Holy crap, I just realized that I had never bothered to learn the guys real name. That makes feel terrible for some reason.

Nieroshai

Aug 20, 2009
All I know is that Markiplier is for sure not next because every month he records a love letter for his viewers. I don't see him not wanting to hear from even the trolls. Especially Pewds. In the form of Falcon Lover. Weirdest ARG to be a part of a gaming channel...

Makabriel

May 13, 2013
I think I'm fine with only believing PewDiePie was the name of a My Little Pony and go on living my life in ignorance of this..