Youtube Google+ Linking

Koshok

Jan 22, 2011
Can someone please explain to me why I still can't comment on YouTube? I begrudgingly linked my accounts, but now when I click the comment box, it flashes a new window in my face, and I still can't type. And I see nothing on the page that says anything to the effect of "support."

Edit: Found it. You need to allow cookies on the page, not that it ever tells anyone that's the problem.

erbkaiser

Romanorum Imperator
Jun 20, 2009
Koshok said:
Can someone please explain to me why I still can't comment on YouTube? I begrudgingly linked my accounts, but now when I click the comment box, it flashes a new window in my face, and I still can't type. And I see nothing on the page that says anything to the effect of "support."

Edit: Found it. You need to allow cookies on the page, not that it ever tells anyone that's the problem.
Yeah this took me a while to find out as well. You need to allow third party cookies even. Which Google, as the company behind Doubleclick and 90% of all ad farms, must be happy about.

LegendaryVKickr

Jul 20, 2012
It's one of the worst comment systems I have ever seen. Terrible design, confusing layout, forced use of Google +...

It reminds me a lot of EA bragging about how gamers "love Origin" when in fact, most gamers only use Origin because it's forced upon them. I anticipate Google will start bragging about how everybody has a Google+ now, meaning everybody must love it!

I deliberately went out of my way to unlink my Google+ to my Youtube. Now I'm being forced to relink it? I'd rather just not comment, the comment section wasn't that good to begin with...

Also, the inbox system is annoying. It's hard enough to find your inbox, and now there's not really a point to it. I'm sure I just don't understand parts of the system, but if I need to "learn" how to post a comment on a website, the website is poorly designed. End of story.

Wasn't this supposed to be a system to help get rid of trolls, as opposed to just forcing everyone to use Google+? It's even worse now, and people can post ascii art of giant penises or write the entirety of Pride and Prejudice in their comment. You can filter out spam and crude language, but now it's been replaced with other obnoxious content. Just...WTF Google?

Zealous

Mar 24, 2009
I disabled comments on Youtube and basically just stopped caring about anything on there except my subs box. I dunno, the change doesn't really affect me that much but I can see why people that are affected by the recent Google+ changes on YouTube.

They're obviously just trying to get people to use G+ cause no one uses that damn thing.

Alssadar

Sep 19, 2010
As I was about to post my annoyances with the new system as I had to create a Google+ account where I had to use my name (as I linked my casual Gmail to my youtube), I found a way to switch back to my old account, as long as I made a Google+ account for it, which I already did a long time ago, because Google kept on bitching for me to do it, and I unfortunately pressed yes.
Nonetheless, the new comment system annoys me. Really, I can't follow any of the conversations, and, quite frankly, it's going to take a lot longer for me to adapt to these changes. Last one took some time, but it manageable; this one, however, annoys me greatly.

loc978

Sep 18, 2010
Funny thing is... I used to kind of like Google+, because I have no use for any "social networking" bullshit beyond having a universal sign-in for sites I don't want to bother making an account for... so I can use that account.

Now, though... they've forced me to actually go back into my Google+ account settings to get comments and ratings working on youtube again. Lo and behold, the thing looks just like the unintuitive mess that facebook has turned into. Still can't do a thing about posting or commenting from chromium (404 popups from every javascript object), but at least I can sign in and use it with firefox (oh the irony).

Arkhangelsk

Mar 1, 2009

This video summarizes my thoughts pretty well. From what I've noticed, everything about Youtube is now so utterly convoluted. It's buggy, it's messy, it's forcing me to use a website which I have no interest in, and they haven't even nudged on the problems that were had before. (Like the playback issues and the god-awful sub box.)

Kl4pp5tuhl

Apr 15, 2009
Delete your Youtube accounts. Switch to Vimeo or something. Punch Google where it hurts until they change for good.

Abandon ship now. Nuke the entire site from orbit. It's the only way to be sure.

Odbarc

Elite Member
Jun 30, 2010
A new version of youtube is worse than it's current version? Well, that's ten times in a row. I knew this change would be worse when the last one was too.

Who needs to post comments anyway? Half the videos are comment-locked and those are the ones where I really want to make comments!

Andrew_C

Mar 1, 2011
Okay, Not cool Google. On top of trying to link my mostly unused Youtube account to a google+ account I've already opted out of, they went and pulled a random photo from my Picasa albums to use as a channel backdrop. Without asking permission. And I have all my Picasa albums and photos set to private. Luckily it's all landscape stuff. Seems that Google don't even pretend to respect the concept of privacy anymore.

Vicarious Reality

Jul 10, 2011
That about sums my feelings up

I especially like all the empty posts with a bunch of thumbs up that appeared

Also, how the replay button stopped working

Chessrook44

Legacy
Feb 11, 2009
Country
United States
Since people have been linking YouTube videos regarding this whole thing, have another. Which actually, instead of sounding ragey, just sounds more sad about this whole thing than anything else. Hopefully the post I made here works...

Xman490

Doctorate in Danger
May 29, 2010
I can tolerate having to decide not to use my real name every time I log on. I can tolerate having to decide not to post to Google+ every time I post a comment.

But WHY IN GOD'S NAME can I not like, dislike, or reply to most comments? Is it because they're not posted on Google+? And I can't look at strings of replied comments anymore! That's just broken! Now I have almost no reason to look down at comments. Thanks, Google. This BS is why I now stand firm in using Bing as my search engine and may use Bing for other things. Gather your information in a way that doesn't impede my user experience, you pricks.

Grimh

Feb 11, 2009
Yeah I tried several times to disconnect google+ with youtube only to find I can't comment without this vital "feature".
What's the point? All it did was make a new Google+ page with my youtube username on it. Why? Why can't I have everything (youtube-related) centralised on one site?
You're supposed to streamline the user experience, not make it more convoluted ffs.

Chessrook44 said:
To embed you write it like this and then you paste all the random stuff between "=" and "&" (if there is one) on the actual video's url into that.
I'm terrible at explaining things so just quote me to see how how it works if I'm being unclear.

MagnumOsprey

May 31, 2013
I might have been okay with this if I could still see new videos from my subscriptions on the homepage. Instead, I'm bombarded with "recommended for me" or "Popular videos from" or "trending" garbage. I just want to watch what interests me, is that so much to ask? I can't even find my youtube inbox anymore.

Amir Kondori

Apr 11, 2013
This change is awful, awful, awful. I know people tend to hate anything new just because it is different, I have been guilty of this myself, so now I try and give new stuff a chance.

Well this new Google+ linking is seriously a major step backwards. Major. I finally gave in and created a Google+ page and I STILL can't comment at all on videos. I can reply to comments, but not create news ones. This is AFTER creating a Google+ page, after it badgered me for months and months to do it.

I am disgusted. The comments system has been made a lot worse. Even the way comments are being ranked, according to Google+ and your circles and things, has totally reduced the quality of comments.

This is a real jump the shark moment for Google and I hope they fix it, fast. At least in the midst of all this bullshit they have fixed one of their last screw-ups, now I don't have an extra click to change things like video window size or resolution. You know, like it used to work.

OctoberFox

Jul 17, 2013
Not even fond of when youtube linked with google in the first place. This forced G+ stuff and the messy new comments system just suck. I don't even think it's about change, I think it's just really poorly executed. Worse though, at least for me is that they are pushing so hard for this widespread integration. Feels really intrusive, I'm compelled to see services like search, which is a mess in it's own right, email and video elsewhere.

Maybe this is a blessing in disguise and other services will improve in content and execution to pick up those google is pushing away.

Koshok

Jan 22, 2011
erbkaiser said:
Koshok said:

Yeah this took me a while to find out as well. You need to allow third party cookies even. Which Google, as the company behind Doubleclick and 90% of all ad farms, must be happy about.
You can still keep most third party cookies off. Just make an exception for google.com.

Saulkar

Legacy
Aug 25, 2010
Country
Canuckistan
idarkphoenixi said:
I didn't even know I was linking to Google+, I got tricked. It wouldn't let me comment until I "signed in" even though I was already signed in. I had no fucking idea it would be this bad.
Same here. I was inattentive and signed as sometimes it will say I have signed in but have not or some random shit that I never wrapped my head around. In the end I am now stuck with a cluster-fuck of gaggle-pus shit I never asked for.

EDIT: Just disconnected my youtube account from gaggle-pus by clicking the option under my email address in youtube settings but now I am stuck with my old, shitty youtube name.