Youtube in a nutshell

Samtemdo8

Elite Member
Legacy
Apr 25, 2020
Country
Private
"Before we start the video, check out our sponsor (name) VPN, it protects you from the eyes of the government and let you watch Netflix movies not available in your region."

"What do you think about this (video and/or topic) let me know in the comments below. "

"Please Like, Follow, and Subscribe"

Every......single......video.

BrawlMan

Lover of beat'em ups.
Legacy
Mar 10, 2016
Detroit, Michigan
Country
United States of America
Whatever. Thankfully, most of the videos I subscribe to don't do this (too often) or keep it very brief.

Last edited:
Reactions: happyninja42

The Rogue Wolf

Stealthy Carnivore
Legacy
Nov 25, 2007
Stalking the Digital Tundra
Here's the thing, though: Not only does it work, it's practically fucking necessary if you want to grow on the platform. (Except for the sponsor part, but if you want to earn enough money on your mid-tier channel to make a living creating videos, sponsored content is one of the most dependable ways to go.)

Godzillarich(aka tf2godz)

Get the point
Legacy
Aug 1, 2011
Cretaceous
Country
USA
If we're going to ***** about YouTube trends I hate the fact that I'm recommended so many. "Social justice Warriors got pwned dude." Videos, mostly about comic books. Why do I keep getting recommended this shit?

Reactions: BrawlMan

TheMysteriousGX

Elite Member
Legacy
Sep 16, 2014
Country
United States
If we're going to ***** about YouTube trends I hate the fact that I'm recommended so many. "Social justice Warriors got pwned dude." Videos, mostly about comic books. Why do I keep getting recommended this shit?
Because they make 3 videos a day chock full of algorithm-friendly keywords that gets lots of engagement from weird nerds who interact with the same media you do

It's why I don't use YouTube for fandom stuff

happyninja42

Elite Member
Legacy
May 13, 2010
Because you looked up stuff regarding "comics" and they are making content about "comics" and are getting lots of clicks, so YT thinks "hey you probably want to hear this too"

"Before we start the video, check out our sponsor (name) VPN, it protects you from the eyes of the government and let you watch Netflix movies not available in your region."

"What do you think about this (video and/or topic) let me know in the comments below. "

And? I mean you say this like shows making time for ads and sponsors is somehow a new thing, and not the business practice for visual entertainment for the past...what 80 years now? Given I spent the majority of my life, unable to skip any of the fucking ads at all, or with any fast forward feature for my content, I have zero issue with them taking a few minutes (that I can FF through), to plug some product, or to give the "like comment subscribe" mantra. The reality is the YT algorithms are fucking insane, and if you are trying to make a business on the platform, it means you have to do some very specific things to keep the systems plugging your stuff.

Check out The Spiffing Brit's content over the past several months if you want some behind the curtains look at how the systems work, and ways to use them. He's got several videos about how insane YT metrics are.

gorfias

Unrealistic but happy
Legacy
May 13, 2009
Country
USA
Some of the channels I watch sell fallout shelter supplies and gold coins.

But the Netflix thing: sounds like piracy and you'd think it would be banned. The excuse that it isn't on in your area doesn't fly. Find something else somewhere else or the same thing but on another platform that gets the creators paid.

More of a grey area: these recaps.
I love 'em as, I often don't have time to watch a full movie and want to know the story. Other times, I have legally watched a movie but recaps point out stuff I missed or misunderstood. Sometimes they'll get me interested in the whole movie. But I'm sure there are times I watch them, find out the story, and I'm good and never watch the real thing.

BrawlMan

Lover of beat'em ups.
Legacy
Mar 10, 2016
Detroit, Michigan
Country
United States of America
I pulled up a 50 SECOND video...and in front of it was an ad, not joking, that the run time if not skipped, was over an HOUR.
I always use ad-block for everything YouTube. Even for the channels I like or support. Expect multiple adds for 30 min-1 hour+ long videos.

happyninja42

Elite Member
Legacy
May 13, 2010
I always use ad-block for everything YouTube. Even for the channels I like or support. Expect multiple adds for 30 min-1 hour+ long videos.
well sure, in long videos i expect multiple ad drops. But, seriously, less than 1 minute of content, 1+ hour long ad. And I know the channel doesn't pick what ads go up, it's just whatever group bought the slot. But, damn, I just found it funny in that "are you fucking kidding me?" kind of way :LOL:

TheMysteriousGX

Elite Member
Legacy
Sep 16, 2014
Country
United States
I dunno, I watched 45 minutes of a random no-commentary beanbag toss tournament shot from a single camera about 12 inches off the ground presented as an add

Was pretty surreal. Probably more entertaining than whatever video was behind it

Zykon TheLich

Extra Heretical!
Legacy
Jun 6, 2008
Country
UK
Just mark them with "do not recommend this channel". After the festivities of late 2014 and my rather ill advised curiosity into "WTF is this shit?" I used to get a lot of that showing up in my feed until I worked out I could just block it.

Breakdown

Oxy Moron
Sep 5, 2014
down a well
Country
Northumbria
I'm kind of sick of the advert for that Jimmy Saville documentary popping up on Youtube. A clip of a notorious paedophile is a bit of a downer for most videos that follow.

Dwarvenhobble

Is on the Gin
May 26, 2020
I pulled up a 50 SECOND video...and in front of it was an ad, not joking, that the run time if not skipped, was over an HOUR.
Funny thing for like a week Warner Brothers put Lego Batman free on youtube. They also paid for a load of ads to advertise the fact it was free that week.
The problem was whoever was meant to set up the advertising to say the film was free screwed up so the advertising for the film being free was the entire Lego Batman film as an advert, as in the full runtime. Luckily they'd made it a skippable ad.

Piscian

Elite Member
Apr 28, 2020
Country
United States
Youtube is a strange animal. I got the same thing a week or two ago. Some lady with a million views whinging about how she'll never buy comics again because some Marvel comic is doing some vapid LGBTQ+ characters. I can only guess it showed up because I watch stuff like comictropes which is a patently inoffensive comicbook history channel. Fuck I'm so tired of social politics.

As for the topic at hand, meh. Thats life. I have a lot of creators I like on youtube that I acknowledge in order to deliver me what they do that they gotta do the sponsorship stuff. I can tolerate a 20 second segment I can skip over if its bothersome.

Gamers Nexus, which does a combination of hardware reviews and industry activism, is the least offensive. They'll do like a literally 5 second spot on some product they actually like, then they might show off a new mouse mat on their store. The difference with Gamersnexus is that they are also heavy into Eco-activisim so any money you give them goes partially to environmental/animal stuff or they just link the charities so you can donate yourself. I think because of that Gamersnexus doesn't make a ton of money unlike the larger offenders like Linus Tech Tips who are coming dangerously close to being a complete product placement sellout channel with less and less meaningful content as time goes on.

One time this has all thoroughly infuriated me was Gaming historian doing like a 10-20 minute in video commercial for some F2P game I think war thunder or world of tanks or some shit. He openly acknowledged he didn't play the game, did not give two shits about it, it had nothing to do with his channel, but justified it saying he needed the money. I unsubscribed. It was wrong, he knew it was wrong and did it anyway. He did some big apology after, but already lost me.

Dalisclock

Making lemons combustible again
Legacy
Escapist +
Feb 9, 2008
A Barrel In the Marketplace
Country
Eagleland

At least some of them have the decency to put the sponsored stuff at the end so I know to stop the video. When they put them at the front, I'm normally looking for the "Skip ad" button and then disappointed it's not there.

The other ones....yeah, it's because it's feeding Youtubes funky Algorithm that apparently changes on a weekly basis, which is why some people end up having long videos when they don't have much to actually say(or they just bad at focusing, which can also be true).

With that said, I do get kinda irritated by certain people when a video is like 40 min long but there's only like 20 minutes of content there and the rest of it is the guy either wasting time rambling or doing some elongated preamble that's not really needed.