Youtube Policy is changing the rules for monetize again! Chaos! PANIC! UPDATED AGAIN!!!!

Silentpony_v1legacy

Alleged Feather-Rustler
Jun 5, 2013
Captain Marvelous said:
Well this is... interesting. So, YouTube is effectively giving the finger to a large chunk of content creators. Wont Google lose money off of this? They're effectively telling their content creators to stop creating content. If they can't make money off of it, then what the hell is the point anymore? The amount of content on YouTube is going to take a nose dive, and YouTube will make dramatically less in the process. Maybe Google just wants to get rid of YouTube. They honestly shouldn't have bought the damn thing in the first place. Every time they do a thing, every time they breathe, they just piss everyone off. God dammit, Google.
Hardly. The Big names in YouTube aren't going to abandon ship. This is the only ship they have, because they've made a career out of posting on YouTube. Its not only all they know, its all they have. Markiplier, Boogie, Defranco, whoever else, they're not going to leave YouTube for 'greener pastures' elsewhere. YouTube is there thing, and without that platform they go away very quickly.
Its like being a professional FaceBooker. No matter what bs is pulled, you've made your bed.

RaikuFA

Jun 12, 2009
I was considering starting up a series, now I'm scared to do so because no one will want to support me either through ads or patreon.

Saelune

Trump put kids in cages!
Legacy
Mar 8, 2011
RaikuFA said:
I was considering starting up a series, now I'm scared to do so because no one will want to support me either through ads or patreon.
Its always the small fry that get stomped. As pointed out, the big guys will mostly persist, using other means to support themselves, but we should not expect many new channels to pop up anytime soon. Not that most people defending youtube's actions will understand that.

SupahEwok

Malapropic Homophone
Legacy
Jun 24, 2010
Country
Texas
Silentpony said:
Captain Marvelous said:
Well this is... interesting. So, YouTube is effectively giving the finger to a large chunk of content creators. Wont Google lose money off of this? They're effectively telling their content creators to stop creating content. If they can't make money off of it, then what the hell is the point anymore? The amount of content on YouTube is going to take a nose dive, and YouTube will make dramatically less in the process. Maybe Google just wants to get rid of YouTube. They honestly shouldn't have bought the damn thing in the first place. Every time they do a thing, every time they breathe, they just piss everyone off. God dammit, Google.
Hardly. The Big names in YouTube aren't going to abandon ship. This is the only ship they have, because they've made a career out of posting on YouTube. Its not only all they know, its all they have. Markiplier, Boogie, Defranco, whoever else, they're not going to leave YouTube for 'greener pastures' elsewhere. YouTube is there thing, and without that platform they go away very quickly.
Its like being a professional FaceBooker. No matter what bs is pulled, you've made your bed.
Anybody with a substantial enough Patreon income can uproot to greener pastures, especially if they lose enough ad revenue from de-monetized videos to make the transition worthwhile financially. True, they'll take an audience hit, but with Patreon they've got a "core" from which to recover, and if, say, ad money is the same across platforms, they lose 80% of their revenue from de-monetized videos on Youtube, and they'll lose 70% of their audience from the move, the numbers still favor switching. Granted, my numbers are entirely made up, but they do their job illustrating a scenario where moving away from Youtube can make financial sense. Particularly if whatever platform they move to offer them incentives to make the switch.

Monopolies die from three things: A) the service or resource they provide becomes irrelevant, B) their own source dries up, or C) they piss off enough people that those folks decide to fuck the monopoly over, either through legal action or by supporting an upstart competitor. All Youtube has to do to maintain their hold over video hosting is not piss off their audience or their source of content. They aren't doing a great job of either.

Silentpony_v1legacy

Alleged Feather-Rustler
Jun 5, 2013
Saelune said:
RaikuFA said:
Its always the small fry that get stomped. As pointed out, the big guys will mostly persist, using other means to support themselves, but we should not expect many new channels to pop up anytime soon. Not that most people defending youtube's actions will understand that.
Of course channels are going to pop up. YouTube isn't ending, and not everyone starts a YouTube channel to make money. Some just want to post videos. In fact, I would say the overwhelming majority of channels are because people just want to make videos.

RaikuFA

Jun 12, 2009
Saelune said:
RaikuFA said:
I just have to get lucky. It is a comedy and music based one so if one music/comedy based YTer signal boosts me I can probably make it.

I also asked people that like the same type of videos I want to make if they'd watch it. Not one person said no and also said it was a good idea.

Saelune

Trump put kids in cages!
Legacy
Mar 8, 2011
Silentpony said:
Saelune said:
RaikuFA said:
Of course channels are going to pop up. YouTube isn't ending, and not everyone starts a YouTube channel to make money. Some just want to post videos. In fact, I would say the overwhelming majority of channels are because people just want to make videos.
Yeah but then they start to make some money and turn it from a hobby to a career. Wont be happening so much if this policy stands.

Otherwise the hobby channels will eventually die out because they need to pay for food and housing by getting an actual job.

Ten Foot Bunny

I'm more of a dishwasher girl
Mar 19, 2014
Naraku578 said:
Why would they do this they already have Youtube for kids. How much do you guys wana bet that CNN, FOX, CBS, BBC do not get demonetized.
I made a response just like that on the videos that h3h3 and SomeOrdinaryGamers put up today. :D To be exact:

How much do you want to bet that CNN, Fox, ABC, CBS, etc. aren't going to lose monetization on their videos that talk about (and show pictures/videos of) war, terrorism, rape, mental health, massacres, assassinations, gun control, you-name-it? Do you think Sony and Universal are going to lose money on their Vevo music videos with provocative lyrics and images, or that have words stronger than "poo-poo?" No way. Make no mistake - this is more than likely a power grab. This is a move to strangle new media and drive people back to corporate-controlled TV that spoon-feeds us what THEY want us to hear and think.

And no, I'm not a crazy conspiracy theorist. I'm making an educated guess based on the money trail at play here.

Silentpony_v1legacy

Alleged Feather-Rustler
Jun 5, 2013
Saelune said:
See I disagree. I think the hobby channels will be perfectly fine, while the 'professional' career channels will slow. I watch a lot of 40k Battle Reports, and most of those channels are either professional paint studios showing off, gaming stores that record for fun, or dudes who have careers outside of YouTube and again, are just doing this for fun. For a hobby.

And the professional channels are just going to suffer through. Like it or not(and I personally do not) YouTube is the only game in town, and people like Boogie or Markiplier aren't about to abandon tens of millions of subscribers to go...where? Nowhere. Its not like an early 00s Facebook vs MySpace thing where you can switch between them. There is YouTube and there is not-YouTube, and unfortunately YouTube celebrities are stuck in the YouTube camp.

Fox12

AccursedT- see you space cowboy
Jun 6, 2013
Honestly, with Patreon, I think most of these sites will be fine. I honestly don't know many channels that rely one ad revenue as their primary source of income.

Kina said:
bartholen said:
Kina said:
Sit down.
Kina said:
Sit down.
Kina said:
Sit down.
Kina said:
Good luck, and please sit down.
Why do you keep putting that at the end of your posts? It comes off as incredibly smug, disrespectful and condescending. Please stop it.
I mean, whatever you say buddy

Saelune

Trump put kids in cages!
Legacy
Mar 8, 2011
Silentpony said:
Saelune said:
See I disagree. I think the hobby channels will be perfectly fine, while the 'professional' career channels will slow. I watch a lot of 40k Battle Reports, and most of those channels are either professional paint studios showing off, gaming stores that record for fun, or dudes who have careers outside of YouTube and again, are just doing this for fun. For a hobby.

And the professional channels are just going to suffer through. Like it or not(and I personally do not) YouTube is the only game in town, and people like Boogie or Markiplier aren't about to abandon tens of millions of subscribers to go...where? Nowhere. Its not like an early 00s Facebook vs MySpace thing where you can switch between them. There is YouTube and there is not-YouTube, and unfortunately YouTube celebrities are stuck in the YouTube camp.
My point is, when a growing channel gets to a point where its money OR youtube, they will likely pick money, since they cannot pick both. Animation used to make a lot of money on youtube, now it doesn't. And animation channels either branch out, or rely on other sources of income, and their channels thus get neglected cause they have to work.

Saelune

Trump put kids in cages!
Legacy
Mar 8, 2011
Fox12 said:
This explains a lot

I don't really like most of their videos, but H3H3 is becoming my "explaining the bullshit" channel.

Nazulu

They will not take our Fluids
Jun 5, 2008
This is censorship. It's straight up censorship. You don't start this giant site and welcome everyone to talk about any controversy they want and then just change that when everyone finds a comfortable life. Yeah, lets just enforce stupid rules all of sudden. If they had any soul at all they would change the ridiculous rules, not just screw people over. De-monetising video's that even talk about health issues, just fuck you! Fuck You Youtube! I hope you get fucked over like the way of Xbone you scumbag assholes!

Edit: Ok, I've calmed down a little now.

Not sure what this is right now, because it's so vague and it doesn't make complete sense.

I still say this is a dick move though. They waited so very long to enforce these ridiculous rules, adding to the misconception that it's a site for anything. Don't think for second that all this work for everyone isn't the reason Youtube became popular. Not only that, but they've been making loads of money over all this vulgar and controversial work for ages, so it makes them hypocrites.

Also, I call bullshit that "all" advertisers wouldn't want to advertise on some of the most popular works. You think they wouldn't want to show their ads on something like... Game of Thrones? OF COURSE THEY FUCKING WOULD!!!

Elijin

Elite Muppet
Legacy
Feb 15, 2009
On the surface, I think this is partially an issue of intent vs application. There have been issues with people throwing in tags of horrible events on everything and anything in order to game the system, as well as pretty terrible exploitation of news for viewership. The problem comes down to separating those things from regular content, which is tough to do, so blanket rules are created. Then, by merit of blanket rules, its alllll against the ToS.

As for people mentioning that its been happening for a while and the world only cares now because its happening to big youtubers....any amount of watching of the various videos linked will include coverage of the fact youtube had been doing it without notifying content creators, and the most recent change to the ToS is that they're now informing people when this happens. So its getting attention now because people are aware of it happening now.

Kina said:
I have so many questions about your age.

Ultimately throughout the thread you've been rude and dismissive to both lots of users here and the general concept of content creators that aren't....mainstream? traditional media?

That's essentially what it boils down to. You standing on your porch yelling at everyone to get off your lawn because traditional media is the only true path forward and everyone else is just some damn no good kids with no idea. Especially since we're largely talking about news presenters here. At least the youtube news presenters are likely to edit and catch their mistakes prior to airing their content. As compared to your paragon of news, which are reading from a teleprompter and very often show they have no idea what they're going to say next until its out of their mouths.

Bonus points awarded for using standards and integrity as selling points for what 'real news' has over independent creators, traits which have been absent for god knows how long.

Kina

Mar 8, 2008
Elijin said:
I have so many questions about your age.

Ultimately throughout the thread you've been rude and dismissive to both lots of users here and the general concept of content creators that aren't....mainstream? traditional media?

That's essentially what it boils down to. You standing on your porch yelling at everyone to get off your lawn because traditional media is the only true path forward and everyone else is just some damn no good kids with no idea. Especially since we're largely talking about news presenters here. At least the youtube news presenters are likely to edit and catch their mistakes prior to airing their content. As compared to your paragon of news, which are reading from a teleprompter and very often show they have no idea what they're going to say next until its out of their mouths.

Bonus points awarded for using standards and integrity as selling points for what 'real news' has over independent creators, traits which have been absent for god knows how long.
It's hard not to be dismissive towards users when they seem to think that being a Youtube content creator equals that of a professional journalist or a news reporter. The one mistake people repeatedly did here was compare the, according to the Escapist userbase, flawless reporting off of Youtube with the mainstream American news outlets. No need to get me started on those, as they're at best questionable in terms of quality and accuracy. But here's the kicker though: There's a world outside of America where I personally reside, and also where journalism in general is held to a higher standard.

Not yelling at anyone regarding traditional media or the "true path forward". The big irony here is that this is your (mis)understanding of the sum of my posts here, similar to how a Youtubers news reporting would feature just that; Their biased, more than likely inaccurate and opinionated reporting.

No one is denying that there may be content to salvage on youtube and I'm plenty sure there are numerous of interesting things to draw from there come news events and the like. My point is, they're not necessarily actual, professional news reporters or journalists for talking about something that happened in the world. They're merely making a vlog at best.

But if you like so many other here get their news from Youtube, enjoy. Each to their own.

Fox12 said:
I mean, whatever you say buddy
Edgy. Please sit down and contribute to the threat at hand.

Elijin

Elite Muppet
Legacy
Feb 15, 2009
Kina said:
Edgy. Please sit down and contribute to the threat at hand.
Mr Sit. Down. calling anyone edgy lacks so much self awareness it hurts.

Cycloptomese

Jun 4, 2015
I don't think this is as big of a deal as most make it out to be. Also, it's definitely not censorship. Not even close.

Mangod

Feb 20, 2011
Cycloptomese said:
I don't think this is as big of a deal as most make it out to be. Also, it's definitely not censorship. Not even close.
True, it's not censorship, but it does somewhat limit what pundits can make a profit from. And frankly, if Fox News is allowed to make a buck talking about how awful everything is over in [somewhere], why shouldn't the little guy on Youtube be allowed to as well?

Frankly, this decision makes little sense to me, because its so simplistic. No content about war, famine or similar subjects? The Great War [https://www.youtube.com/user/TheGreatWar] will need to have all their content demonetized, because it's a channel about the history of World War I.

If The Great War doesn't get all of its content demonetized, then this whole thing is utterly arbitrary, which just defeats the purpose of it.

Cycloptomese

Jun 4, 2015
Mangod said:
Cycloptomese said:
True, it's not censorship, but it does somewhat limit what pundits can make a profit from. And frankly, if Fox News is allowed to make a buck talking about how awful everything is over in [somewhere], why shouldn't the little guy on Youtube be allowed to as well?

Frankly, this decision makes little sense to me, because its so simplistic. No content about war, famine or similar subjects? The Great War [https://www.youtube.com/user/TheGreatWar] has to remove all their content, because it's a channel about the history of World War I.

If The Great War doesn't get all of its content demonetized, then this whole thing is utterly arbitrary, which just defeats the purpose of it.
I see no evidence that The Great War has to remove all of their content. Although, I suppose it's possible that they could see most, if not all of their content demonetized. I'm really curious to see how this shakes out.