"You've never seen ______? Are you serious?!"

ChildofGallifrey

May 26, 2008
Man, I can't conceive anyone over 20 not having seen Fight Club. Hell, I'm only 21 and it's been my favorite movie for years.

I brought up the original American Psycho(the Christian Bale movie, not the novel), and half of my class had never seen it. When you consider that I go to school at a famous acting studio, that's pretty glaring! My DVD has been making the rounds for about a week now, and I had everyone singing Phil Collins songs today.

swankyfella

Mar 17, 2011
I was camping with some buddies this past summer and one evening my shoes were drying by the firepit. I went to go pick them up after about a half-hour and there was a snake peeking into one of them. I saw my moment and dropped a Toy Story reference.
"There's a snake in my boot!"
Nothing. All i got was "...What the hell are you talking about? Those aren't boots."

4 of my friends and NONE of them saw Toy Story. It was not easy quelling that particular violent urge.

The Apothecarry

Mar 6, 2011
I've never seen the Matrix, but I don't really care. Star Wars IV, V, and VI take the cake. But what's this I hear about Episodes VII, VIII, and IX? HERESY!

Rockchimp69

Dec 4, 2010
Arqus_Zed said:
So...

I recently got in a conversation with a newly acquainted friend of mine. A discussion that gradually transferred from video games to movies.

I made a reference to a Tyler Durden quote, but he didn't seem to get it. He had never seen Fight Club. Huh... I tried bringing up Old Boy, but he hadn't even heard of that movie. Fair enough, I suppose. But when I brought up Pulp Fiction, he hadn't even the slightest idea what the movie was about - not even a quote!

And thus: personal DVD-collection to the rescue! Now while I think Fight Club is a movie every (wo)man should see at least once in his/her life, I decided to hook him up with Pulp Fiction first. And guess what? He hated it! He actually called it flat-out boring and uninteresting!

Now, my question to you: have you ever met a man so void of modern cultural knowledge you just couldn't believe it?
(I mean, in the end, the fact that he hadn't seen the movies still baffled me more than the fact he thought Pulp Fiction sucked. In the end, people still have the right to have their own opinions, even if they don't make sense...)

Oh, and not surprisingly, he had also never seen A Clockwork Orange or The Godfather - though I've experienced more than once in my life, that there are more people who simply quote the movies instead of actually seeing them.
How old was this guy? I'm 16 and Pulp Fiction is probably one of my favourite movies ever. Clockwork Orange and Fight Club were good too. I wouldn't expect many people I know to have seen them though.

Veloxe

Oct 5, 2010
It's not really modern culture so much as nerd culture but I found out that two of my buddies hadn't see (and didn't even know what it was) Dr. Horrible's Sing-Along Blog. But I've had several friends who I've had to almost force to watch The Princess Bride since they immediately dismiss it based on the name (can't really blame them). They now all love it, so all is right with my end of the universe at least.

Mar 29, 2008
swankyfella said:
I was camping with some buddies this past summer and one evening my shoes were drying by the firepit. I went to go pick them up after about a half-hour and there was a snake peeking into one of them. I saw my moment and dropped a Toy Story reference.
Nothing. All i got was "...What the hell are you talking about? Those aren't boots."

4 of my friends and NONE of them saw Toy Story. It was not easy quelling that particular violent urge.
Did they not see Toy Story, or are they at an age that they aren't going to pick up a reference to it. I have a friend who's always dropping lines from various kids movies like Toy Story, no one in our group of friends gets the lines, and frankly they kinda make him seem like a pedo. As far as not getting the lines because I haven't seen the films, I've seen 'em all, I have an 11 year old daughter, but I'm not going to recognize the reference unless I saw the movie in the past hour. I've seen TS about 20 times, and I have no idea what the snake in your boot line is from in that movie.

twistedmic

Elite Member
Legacy
Sep 8, 2009
While I have seen Pulp Fiction and Fight Club, I haven't seen Old Boy, nor do I really have a desire to do so.

I had a co-worker/ friend who told me he stopped watching Reservoir Dos (which I lent him) half-way through because 'there was no action'. Of course, expecting him to like it was probably stupid of me, considering he loves Steven Seagal and John Cena movies. He thought Doom (the Dwayne 'The Rock' Johnson movie) was an awesome and great movie. Hell, he even liked The Marine (staring John Cena) as a serious action movie, not as a pathetic bunch of cliches and poor writing.

Phlakes said:
Fucking Star Wars. Everyone who hasn't seen the original ONLY trilogy needs to before I find them and strap them to a chair, with their eyelids held open by surgical equipment, forcing them to watch them all for a year straight.
That same friend that thought Reservoir Dogs was too boring to finish, also told me that he thought Jar-Jar Binks was a better character than Chewbacca. I was tempted to slap him for daring to utter so idiotic blasphemy.

shogunblade

Apr 13, 2009
I have actually seen:
Fight Club - It is actually pretty good. Not the best, but I do own it, and it is incredible.
Pulp Fiction - It's cliche, but it is Tarantino's Best (Well, then again I haven't seen Jackie Brown or Kill Bill Volume 2)
A Clockwork Orange - I read the book first then saw the movie. Sorry to say it, but the movie just does not work. I will validate myself if I must, but it is not very good. Very well made, well directed, well acted, but not very good.

The movies I tend to never see, oddly enough, are not the popular ones, but the underrated ones (and some bad ones).

Rockchimp69

Dec 4, 2010
Dirty Hipsters said:
I have a friend like that. He's living in the US his entire life but he's never seen a majority of the classic American movies that I can name. Every week I make him come to my place and watch a classic movie with him (last week it was Dirty Harry).
I wish I could do this, I love introducing people to things :)

AetherWolf

Jan 1, 2011
Doctor Who. I partially blame where I live, but I swear not a single person of this generation has even heard of it.

swankyfella

Mar 17, 2011
smv1172 said:
swankyfella said:

Did they not see Toy Story, or are they at an age that they aren't going to pick up a reference to it. I have a friend who's always dropping lines from various kids movies like Toy Story, no one in our group of friends gets the lines, and frankly they kinda make him seem like a pedo. As far as not getting the lines because I haven't seen the films, I've seen 'em all, I have an 11 year old daughter, but I'm not going to recognize the reference unless I saw the movie in the past hour. I've seen TS about 20 times, and I have no idea what the snake in your boot line is from in that movie.
No no, I thought they probably just didn't get the reference at first too. I asked. They hadn't seen it.

Redingold

AAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAA
Mar 28, 2009
There was some guy at my school who'd never seen QI, and called it "retarded dumb shit".

He is, I believe, the most wrong person in the history of the universe.

MaxRaine

May 1, 2008
There's a ton of "Must see" movies that I've not seen and have no desire to see...
Examples: Godfather, American History X, A Clockwork Orange, Schindler's List and a few more
In fact I've only seen 20 from the 100 in this list of "Must see" movies: http://movies.yahoo.com/feature/100-movies-to-see-before-you-die.html

Then there's quite a few "Must see" movies I've seen that was utterly crap.
Ex: Starwars 4-6 (1-3 was better imo... *dons flame suit* And yes I saw 4-6 first, long before 1-3 was made.)
Old Boy (Seriously... what's supposed to be good about it?)
The Exorcist (Laughed my way through most of it, guess horror doesn't age well)

The list goes on but really, there aren't any list of Must see movies that suits every taste. There were a few of the movies in the list I linked to that I've seen part way through but then stopped watching out of boredom.

Mar 29, 2008
swankyfella said:
smv1172 said:
swankyfella said:

No no, I thought they probably just didn't get the reference at first too. I asked. They hadn't seen it.
Wow, I thought that pretty much no one could escape watching that one be it from nostalgia movie nights with friends, significant others who are into funny kids movies, etc.

Feralcentaur

Mar 6, 2010
I've never seen The Matrix, Robocop, any of the Lord of the Rings movies, The Godfather or Fight Club. I know I should be ashamed...