Zelda-Loving Dads Turn Nursery Into Hyrule

HellsingerAngel

Jul 6, 2008
I almost cried. As a HUGE Zelda fan, this was a real treat for me to see.

I only have a single fault with this entire endeavor:

Why no Skyward Sword?

martyrdrebel27

Feb 16, 2009
what sucks is that right around... 14ish or so, the kid is going to want a more grown up room to try and act like an adult for his friends and girls. so it'll get painted over. then a few more years will pass, and when he realizes that being "cool" doesn't actually matter, and he'll want that room back.

new_age_reject

Lives in dactylic hexameter.
Dec 28, 2008
martyrdrebel27 said:
what sucks is that right around... 14ish or so, the kid is going to want a more grown up room to try and act like an adult for his friends and girls. so it'll get painted over. then a few more years will pass, and when he realizes that being "cool" doesn't actually matter, and he'll want that room back.
Life is strangely sad like that.
Teenagers are weird.

Beautiful End

Feb 15, 2011
I'm gonna sound like a dick but...I would have liked to see more shading in those paintings. You know, kinda like the original art. It's not that hard; they already did the hardest part. All they need now is just those extra shades to make it look like it came straight out of the game. That Link in his boar from Wind Waker just looks odd right now.

HAVING SAID THAT! I am jealous of this. I admire the skill and patience required to do this and it is for a good cause too. I'm certainly not a kid anymore but even I wish I could have a room like that. One of my majors is Drawing/Art so if I ever have the time and a good place of my own to do this, I might do something like that, only Skyward Sword themed. It would be quite a challenge, though.

ColeBradburn

Jun 19, 2012
Thanks everyone, it's heartwarming to see so many kind comments. I consider myself pretty lucky to have a little guy coming to share my life with.

@John, you did an incredible write up on this, thank you very much.
"Don't let him near the CD-i games" - hilarious
@royohz - loved your comment, made me and my wife audibly laugh
@BiH-Kira - that is my absolute favorite song too! That's why I had it play for so long, it's completely amazing.

RE: Skyward Sword - didn't want to do a loftwing, and the more cartoony Zelda's are so timeless and perfect for a infant, toddler, child all the way up until middle school. We also want to inspire a sense of adventure, exploration, and self-reliance into our son... captaining a ship out in the ocean and conducting a train across the expanse seem to exude those principles.

DudeistBelieve

TellEmSteveDave.com
Sep 9, 2010
Draconalis said:
He picked the worst Zelda to model after. That's all I got to say about that.
...Can I ask you to reconsider, seeing as how it was for a LITTLE KID?!?!

Fine, ya, we all love the "mature dark edgey zelda" but for fucks sake dude... I mean c'mon. A kid. He can have the "edgey mature" zelda when he's a teenager, for now let him be a fucking kid.

ColeBradburn

Jun 19, 2012
@SaneAmongInsane - well said. It's easy to get wrapped up in what we would want and forget what kids may want.

Draconalis

Elite Member
Sep 11, 2008
SaneAmongInsane said:

Fine, ya, we all love the "mature dark edgey zelda" but for fucks sake dude... I mean c'mon. A kid. He can have the "edgey mature" zelda when he's a teenager, for now let him be a fucking kid.
No Zelda has ever been "edgy and mature", but I digress. There have been plenty of Zelda art styles before your alleged "edgy and mature" came about.

I have reconsidered and find that art style still as horrific and ugly as I have always felt it was.

CrazyCapnMorgan

Is not insane, just crazy >:)
Jan 5, 2011
So awesome! That's gonna be one lucky kid. All he needs now is a Link and Zelda plush and perhaps a Triforce pillow and he's all set. Oh, and a toy Master Sword. That lil boy will be a sword master at the age of 2, I can almost guarantee it!

Along with his mother going the way of Navi, chasing him around going "Hey!" [/sarcasm]

And to think I just made the decision to get a tattoo of the Triforce symbol with the Master Sword through the middle on my back. This makes my night complete!

CrazyCapnMorgan

Is not insane, just crazy >:)
Jan 5, 2011
Wesley Swain said:
Awesome article John! I really appreciate the kind words! :D I hope other people enjoy a much as I did to help create it!
You, my man...

So do I.

DudeistBelieve

TellEmSteveDave.com
Sep 9, 2010
Draconalis said:
SaneAmongInsane said:

No Zelda has ever been "edgy and mature", but I digress. There have been plenty of Zelda art styles before your alleged "edgy and mature" came about.

I have reconsidered and find that art style still as horrific and ugly as I have always felt it was.
I don't know, Ocarina Of Time and Twilight Princess were pretty "mature" and full of that teen angst just based on the art style alone. (Which is what I'm judging it on.)

Can I ask what version of Zelda art you would choose for your newborn child? Cause quite frankly I would either choose this or something from the SNES/NES era*... But I tend to think kids relate more to Cartoons (or at least I did growing up)

Also bare in mind, this kid in question that will be growing up with this room has no real idea what Zelda is. As far as he knows these are just some images of a kid like himself wielding a sword and going on an adventure to save a princess.

*Truth be told, if I was ever in the unlikely scenario to have a child, his room would be totally Batman and Superman. Not Zelda.

Draconalis

Elite Member
Sep 11, 2008
SaneAmongInsane said:
I don't know, Ocarina Of Time and Twilight Princess were pretty "mature" and full of that teen angst just based on the art style alone. (Which is what I'm judging it on.)

Can I ask what version of Zelda art you would choose for your newborn child? Cause quite frankly I would either choose this or something from the SNES/NES era*... But I tend to think kids relate more to Cartoons (or at least I did growing up)

Also bare in mind, this kid in question that will be growing up with this room has no real idea what Zelda is. As far as he knows these are just some images of a kid like himself wielding a sword and going on an adventure to save a princess.

*Truth be told, if I was ever in the unlikely scenario to have a child, his room would be totally Batman and Superman. Not Zelda.
I'd go for Link's awakening myself

OoT wasn't really angsty at all, though I really do like that art as well.

I'd do my kid's room up in dragons though... cause Draco loves dragons!

DudeistBelieve

TellEmSteveDave.com
Sep 9, 2010
Draconalis said:
SaneAmongInsane said:

I'd go for Link's awakening myself

OoT wasn't really angsty at all, though I really do like that art as well.

I'd do my kid's room up in dragons though... cause Draco loves dragons!
I won't deny that what you picks out works but it works for all the same reason that the Celda art works too.

It's the difference between chocolate and vanilla ice cream. Yeah, two different flavors, but at the end of the day it's just ice cream.

KefkaCultist

Jun 8, 2010
Draconalis said:
SaneAmongInsane said:

D-did you play Majora's Mask? That game is NOT for little kids. It's dark... Darker than dark.
[sub]The skull kid's laugh still haunts my dreams...[/sub]

Also, Windwaker's cell shaded art style was awesome IMO.

OT: I love it. I wish I had an awesome room like that, but noooo, my parents nor I have any artistic skill, so it's just a flat blue.

Draconalis

Elite Member
Sep 11, 2008
SaneAmongInsane said:
It's the difference between chocolate and vanilla ice cream. Yeah, two different flavors, but at the end of the day it's just ice cream.
That's the whole point though... where I don't like Vanilla, I do like Chocolate.

KefkaCultist said:
D-did you play Majora's Mask? That game is NOT for little kids. It's dark... Darker than dark.
[sub]The skull kid's laugh still haunts my dreams...[/sub]
No... actually. I wasn't a fan of the time constraint nor having to redo everything I did every time the days were up. I never even made it to the first dungeon in that game... so I basically did not.

KefkaCultist said:
Also, Windwaker's cell shaded art style was awesome IMO.
We differ on that opinion greatly.

StriderShinryu

Dec 8, 2009
Awesomeness... but I think it a little odd with the mention of it being specifically for a son. Sure, the art itself could have been changed to feature Tetra as opposed to Link for a little girl but I'm not sure why "adventure, creativity and exploration" should be considered interests specifically geared to little boys.