Zelda The Wind Waker worth Playing

gorfias

Unrealistic but happy
Legacy
May 13, 2009
Country
USA
So, I got rid of most of my gamecube collection.

I've had more money than time recently (still an imbalance there) but long story short, I have Wind Waker for gamecube and have had it for years without playing it.

I do have some free time and plenty else to do, but a recent write-up in Game Informer has me thinking I should get around to Zelda Wind Waker.

Or, should I skip it and sell it at Gamestop? Has it aged badly? Not worth playing at this point? Your thoughts?

Dec 14, 2009
Wind Waker is the best Zelda game I've played (even better than OoT).

The style has aged well and the seafaring atmosphere is brilliant.

orangeban

Nov 27, 2009
I really like Wind Waker. The graphics are still excellent and it certainly feels like an epic adventure with plenty of bullshit to do outside of the main story. If you like other 3d Zelda titles then you'll like this one. Heck, if you feel kinda "meh" about other Zelda titles then this is probably one of the best to enter the series with in my view. Though if I had to criticise it I'd say it's slow to start (I find the game doesn't really kick into gear until after you've got the first 3 shinies, though there is still plenty to do while you try to find said shinies.) and the sailing gets tedious.

Totes

Sep 22, 2011
-Of course its still worth getting, like what Daystar said, it has aged well and have a great atmosphere.

theotakuoverlord

May 20, 2011
I would say that Wind Waker has aged incredibly well thanks to the cel-shading. It's my favourite Zelda anyway, you should give it a try if only to see how it holds up.

bombadilillo

Jan 25, 2011
Its aged amazingly, the first time you see a bomb explode you will be hooked.

BY dont get put off by sea travel, you get a warp.

go-10

Feb 3, 2010
yes, yes, yes! definitely play it!

amazing game, great story, and awesome battle mechanics, the dodge counter system has never worked better

BreakfastMan

Scandinavian Jawbreaker
Jul 22, 2010
Play it. It is a damn good game, and has aged wonderfully. The graphics still look fantastic nowadays, and the gameplay is as good as ever. The sailing mechanic can be a bit tedious at times, but it adds a wonderful sense of adventure and epicness (which is totally a word that I did not make up just now) to the world. My 2nd favorite Zelda title, behind Majora's Mask. Seriously, what are you doing here reading my comment? Go play it already!

PureChaos

Aug 16, 2008
it's good but nor the best, it's a tad easy and the sailing can be a bit monotonous but it's well worth playing

spanielcheckers

Sep 19, 2011
It's aged really well, and the graphics are great for the GCN. As mentioned, the atmosphere's great, the characters are memorable, and it has some of the best dungeons from the series in the Tower of the Gods and the Forbidden Forest.

Wind Waker's also probably my favorite Zelda game.

TJC

Aug 28, 2011
if it's just for the graphics you'll be disappointed. However, the quirky charme of the cel-shading comicky aesthetics really still holds up. Combat is fun, the dungeons are beautifully designed, the sailing really is fun and intuitive and gives a great feeling of freedom. Sure, it's a bit monotonous at times but the music is just so goddamn fine to listen to.

Frankly, it's Zelda. If you liked ANY Zelda game before (that is, liked because of the gameplay and not because you're a furry), chances are that you will like this one. In fact, there will be high chances that this will be a long-time favourite of yours because of above-mentioned reasons.

emeraldrafael

Jul 17, 2010
The game has aged well, as its your standard zelda game, but the graphics are good and the whole atmosphere is light and airy and adventurous.

it may not be the best zelda game (thats subjective) but its definitely one of them. Top five easily. so I'd suggest keeping it and playing it. As soon as my mom got a wii, the first things I bought was a gamecube controller, windwaker, and custom robo (another gem of the GC).

Queen Michael

has read 4,010 manga books
Jun 9, 2009
It's still a great game. The cartoony graphics age better than realistic ones. The temples are great. The music is good, especially the Dragon Roost Island theme. All in all, definitely worth checking out.

00slash00

Dec 29, 2009
Gorfias said:

I've had more money than time recently (still an imbalance there) but long story short, I have Wind Waker for gamecube and have had it for years without playing it.

I do have some free time and plenty else to do, but a recent write-up in Game Informer has me thinking I should get around to Zelda Wind Waker.

Or, should I skip it and sell it at Gamestop? Has it aged badly? Not worth playing at this point? Your thoughts?
visually, it has aged very well. however, it has always been one of my least favorite zelda games. it was alright until you finish the last temple. then it sends you on this extremely annoying fetch quest to find pieces of the triforce or something. you dont do this by defeating bosses or anything like that, you just sail around the map and dig in random places. SO BORING! after about half an hour of that i just said fuck it, turned the game off, and havent touched it since

blackdwarf

Jun 7, 2010
paly it now, you will not regret it. it has aged really well and imo opinion the best LoZ game.

SinorKirby

May 1, 2009
Gorfias said:
WHY?

Gorfias said:
I have Wind Waker for gamecube and have had it for years without playing it.
Again, WHY?

You sir, are in need of some serious help. First off, you should start re-acquiring those Gamecube games, mostly because the Gamecube was amazing. Secondly, go play Wind Waker right now! It's by far one of the best and most underrated Zelda games ever made, and if not for its short length and insanely boring sailing, it would be a perfect game. Of course, by now you should have stopped reading and started playing Wind Waker. If not, WHAT ARE YOU WAITING FOR SOLDIER? GO, GO, GO!

Tipatap

Aug 7, 2011
Take the time to play it. If you don't like it after finishing it/x amount of time into gameplay then get sell it. If you do, you can still sell it, or keep it if you like.
Honestly though, I hope you enjoy it. I loved Wind Waker.