Zero Punctuation: Alan Wake

Nova5

Interceptor
Sep 5, 2009
Blue-State said:
Nuts. I saw a play through online and it didn't look so bad. But if the plot and pacing is half as bad as he says it is then I won't bother.
It isn't. Yahtzee is genuinely the first person (that I bother paying attention to) to have voiced a negative opinion, and since he does exactly that for a living, I'd recommend giving it a rent over the weekend. You can beat it in two days with some effort, and at worst you've lost $8-$10.

RJ Dalton

Aug 13, 2009
Amata said:
Lol yeah, not that many of his books are about that. Quite a few of them are set in the same small town, but yeah, still. Plus the Dark Tower series is awesome.

A very good review though, even if we disagree on the quality of Stephen King's books. :p
Indeed. It takes more than referencing Stephen King to make an awesome game. Plus, the way they go about it isn't even a good way to do it. Me, I wrote a story and I gave the bad guy a name that had the initials "RF." That's how you pay homage to great writers.

Pendragon9

Apr 26, 2009
This is the game everyone has been clamoring about as the Game of the year?

HAHAHAHAHAH.

Oh man, funny stuff. From the review, it's basically Stephen King meets Resident Evil meets Scooby Doo. And not in any good order.

Kinda disappointing like Heavy Rain. :/

manas

May 26, 2010
Tinneh said:
Tommy T. said:
Not really that good IMO.

Possibly because I really really want to play this game but M$ says no to us PC pricks.
According to the devs, it "works best on a console and a bigger screen."

So?

That doesn't mean I wouldn't play it on PC.

Dummköpfe!
Well that's a very retarded excuse. The devs must really think that the gamers are totally brainwashed.

science girl

Jun 1, 2010
I think at this stage stephen king just wants to have his name on everything. I'm a fan of King but i think he's overdone it.

My1stLuvJak

Jan 28, 2010
Hardcore_gamer said:
It was not as fun as I hoped it was. He spent most of his time talking about how he gets stuck in the forest all the time.

How does it come Yahtzee never reviews grand strategy games like Hearts of Iron 3? That would be pretty awesome.
Is it a JRPG, perhaps? Because he's made it quite clear that he hates those. And Nintendo. So when he reviews Mario Galaxy 2 (correction, IF he reviews it, or any other game down the line, be it Zelda or Metroid) take it with a massive grain of salt.

MrDead

Jun 2, 2010
DominoRBG said:
Alan Wake or Deadly Premonition, choose one that makes you weep for humanity the most.
Deadly Premonition. Physically painful to play.

Haukur Isleifsson

Jun 2, 2010
Hardcore_gamer said:
How does it come Yahtzee never reviews grand strategy games like Hearts of Iron 3? That would be pretty awesome.
He has stated a number of times, the last I remember in the Brütal Legend video, that he does indeed not play such games. I suspect it is related to his emphasis on console games over PC games.

Edit: Or that he plays them but seldom enjoys them.

Alstan

Dec 5, 2007
Funny review but I love the game. The combat is great if you play in hard dificulty. If you use the flashlight on several enemies at the same time, you'll never end, but if you concentrate on one of them, the rest will run for you, so it's not "look at the enemy and shoot twice".
Also, I love the characters (including Barry), the soundtrack the original and the song selection (specially the last one), the TV and radio shows, and of course, the ilumination (probably the best ever).

soultwister

Nov 26, 2009
The game is boring as shit, but this review isn't any better. It's like you forgot to read what you wrote in the notepad before puking out the words to the microphone.

Catalyst6

Dapper Fellow
Apr 21, 2010
Spot1990 said:
Catalyst6 said:
I would by Alan Wake, and I might even enjoy it, if suddenly Microsoft didn't decide to do the whole "platform dedication" thing. Why couldn't they whore themselves out to every passing system like they usually do...
Some added incentive to actually own an xbox 360? What's the point in buying an xbox 360 if it'll plays all the same games as pc but has almost none of the practical day to day uses? Might as well just combine the money from getting a non-gaming pc and a console together and get a gaming pc. With 360 exclusives there's actually some reason to ever buy a 360.
Heh, it was a rhetorical question. Although if I was Microsoft I'd dump the xbox altogether and just stick to PC, seeing that their software runs almost all gaming computers. But I just don't like Xbox, so I guess I'm biased.