Zero Punctuation: Alice: Madness Returns

Yahtzee Croshaw

Aug 8, 2007
Alice: Madness Returns

This week, Zero Punctuation reviews American McGee's sequel adaptation of Lewis Carroll's Alice's Adventures in Wonderland. Now with more creepy baby doll heads!

Watch Video

Amplify

Aug 31, 2008
I honestly don't think I took in what you were saying during the review at all, because GOD GOD man what happened to your voice, when'd did you get your voicebox replaced with some sort of cheese grater wind tunnel?

Yahtzee Croshaw

Aug 8, 2007
Wait, is this Yahtzee? It kind of sounds like him, but it kinda doesnt. Gives you a weird feeling when listening.

Genixma

Sep 22, 2009
Sounds like someone has the Summer Cold...or was speaking too much into their microphone...or has allergies. Either way, interesting.

Sketchy

Aug 16, 2008
Genixma said:
Sounds like someone has the Summer Cold...or was speaking too much into their microphone...or has allergies. Either way, interesting.
That'd be the winter cold... He's in Australia, it's winter here... And at least where I'm from, EVERYONE has this cold.

shadowmagus

Feb 2, 2011
This person tried to sound like Yahtzee, but it's as if certain inflections were different. Return our Yahtzee alien scum. We are gamers and we have a long and storied history of knowing how to blast your kind back into space.

emusega

Jan 17, 2011
He seems to talk faster than usual and not making points for quite a while. The first alice game intrigued me but I never played it.
So I guess it was somewhat ok, but not worth the time to play it now.

Oh, and I already hated the cut out animations in the trailer. Glad I'm not the only one.

And fucking awesome laugh at the end ^^

bor3ds0ul

Apr 8, 2008
The voice, sounds so strange and alien. Good summary of the game though, been wondering what it was all about

JasonBurnout16

Oct 12, 2009
Obviously has a cold guys but you can still tell it's Yahtzee...

On the other note, can really not decide if I should rent this game or not. It sounds interesting though. Hmm.

Dr_Matt

Aug 28, 2009
He's got a point, though - the original game was fun for a while, but overall really wasn't very good. Might think about getting this one for the HD re-release.

NaramSuen

Jun 8, 2010
I have always found the fact that he puts his name on his games a little more disturbing than the subject matter of said games.

Josdeb

May 22, 2008
Genixma said:
He lives in Brisbane, Australia, Southern Hemispehere. If he has a cold, it's a Winter Cold :p
Edit: Got ninja'd, damn

Most likely is a cold though, it was last time his voice was like that.

As for the review, kinda makes me consider giving Alice a go. I'd never really thought about it

Macrobstar

Apr 28, 2010
Soveru said:
Its his job to hate everything
Not really ots his jobs to give his opinion in a comical way, it just so happens he dislikes a lot of games, also for those saying he sounds differant, he just has a cold its happened before

Ashcrexl

May 27, 2009
Wait wait, i get it! yahtzee purposefully did some seriously surreal voice manipulating in order to evoke the sense that us, THE VIEWERS, are going mad!

brilliant move! i'm... not sure... if this thread actually exists anymore. did i just watch something?

octafish

Apr 23, 2010
New Mic? Anyway, American McGee has pretty much said himself that the game is a bit of fanservice and that he wants to get back to making the next Farmville or grindfest MMO or Angry Birds or whatever he is doing in Shanghai. I am not being facetious by the way, he has stated that core gaming is a dying business and the future is in social media games.

A shame, I did like Scrapland, and the original Alice.

EDIT: Ouch just checked the Brisvegas weather. It's almost as cold as down here in Melbourne.

KDR_11k

Feb 10, 2009
Aw man, I was hoping for Shadows of the Damned instead but you just couldn't let Alice go through unscolded I guess.

mental_looney

Apr 29, 2008
Is it me or does it sound like he's got a really bad cold.... the games ok, hd reake feels so old though and you need to quick save alot at some points not the most awesome controls on console since they lost the mouse

Macrobstar

Apr 28, 2010
shadowmagus said:
This person tried to sound like Yahtzee, but it's as if certain inflections were different. Return our Yahtzee alien scum. We are gamers and we have a long and storied history of knowing how to blast your kind back into space.
I'm assuming your joking but just in case your not, it was yahtzee

-Dragmire-

King over my mind
Mar 29, 2011
Evil Top Hat said:
That little laugh at the end was great, no idea why I found it so funny.
I agree, I laughed way more than I should have...

I might rent the game, I've never played the first one and it looks interesting, visually anyway.

Pyramid Head

Jun 19, 2011
I actually was looking forward to this game when i first saw it's announcement.
...and then i totally forgot about it. Probably for the best, i saved the pre-order for Catharine.

Humble Grapefruit

Jun 17, 2011
I died when he did that little laugh at the end. I agree though, I bought the game with high expectations and got sort of bored with it. The art work is really nice and the concept is alright, but it gets rather repetetive.

Casual Shinji

Should've gone before we left.
Legacy
Apr 4, 2020
Feeling another person's bum warmth on the toilet seat is right up there with stepping in to a wet spot with my socks in the bathroom.

And get some cough drops will ya!?

blindthrall

Oct 14, 2009
The T-1000 drawing was fucking gold. As was the credits joke involving an umbrella. That's worse than the Joker's pencil trick.

Alfador_VII

Nov 2, 2009
Yeah, thought he sounded a little ill. Hope it's not too bad.

That laugh at the end over the incredibly lame pun really made the review for me :)

Sonicron

Do the buttwalk!
Mar 11, 2009
Shjade said:
That post-credits joke...ow. Just ow. ;.;
Indeed. Incidentally, this is where I laughed the hardest in this review.
Also, the medical joke in the final caption (right after the cocktail umbrella line) was pretty clever as well.

I actually kind of liked the game, but then I've never played the first one, so I'm unable to make the comparison.

Servallier

Jun 17, 2011
Being perfectly honest, i mostly got this for the original game that happened to be in the bundle and that i had wanted to play for a good few years now, but never got around to getting the PC version

Entertaining stuff as usual Yahtzee, keep up the insulting work

GeorgW

ALL GLORY TO ME!
Aug 27, 2010
Your voice sounded really weird to me, threw me off through the entire episode. Otherwise good one, could have hammered in the repetition and art design though.

Dana22

Sep 10, 2008
'Batman Returns' ? 'Return of the Jedi' ? Oh Yahtzee you silly goose !

Doom-Slayer

Ooooh...I has custom title.
Jul 18, 2009
Sounds like yahtzee has a cold. A fair enoguh review but Im surprised he didnt mention that the game is totally and completely beautiful. Ya the gameplay is a little bit on the bad side, but its really really nice looking.

Zhukov

The Laughing Arsehole
Dec 29, 2009
OhJohnNo said:
Also, quadruple jump? ...Seriously?
Yup.

And you can sort-of glide between those jumps. And then you can do the game's equivalent of a dodge-roll in mid air (she turns into a cloud of butterflies, it's pretty cool to watch). All that without touching the ground.

Not being overly familiar with the language of platforming games, I don't know whether that's awesome or terrible. I found it pretty fun though.

Scarim Coral

Jumped the ship
Legacy
Apr 30, 2020
Country
UK
I guessing he either got a sore throat or his microphone is broken in some way. Regardless good review, so does the HD version still got the flaws like the control or did they fix it?

Prof. Monkeypox

Mar 17, 2010
That laugh at the end was retardedly, creepily, funny. Even if it made him sound kind of like Nigel Thornberry.

repeating integers

Mar 17, 2010
Zhukov said:
OhJohnNo said:
Yup.

And you can sort-of glide between those jumps. And then you can do the game's equivalent of a dodge-roll (she turns into a cloud of butterflies, it's pretty cool to watch). All that without touching the ground.

Not being overly familiar with the language of platforming games, I don't know whether that's awesome or terrible. I found it pretty fun though.
I dunno, that sounds crazy enough to work.

TheNaut131

Jul 6, 2011
God, he hit the boss thing right on the head. I probably could've ignored this but for the love of God, they set them up SOOOOOOO easily.

"Oh hey a mechanical robot in the Hatter's Domain! Let's fi-oh it fell apart..."

"Hey, that Walrus is eating all of them! Let's kick so-wait, we're just leaving?"

"Wow, we're right in front of the Red Queen...who has been trying to kill us since the level started....who actually said "off with her head" at the beginning of the level...WHY AREN'T WE FIGHTING!?!?"

C'mon McGee!

OldRat

Dec 9, 2009
Alfador_VII said:
Yeah, thought he sounded a little ill. Hope it's not too bad.

That laugh at the end over the incredibly lame pun really made the review for me :)
Agreed. I actually, honest to god, covered my screen in ice cream from that.

striderkiwi

Jul 15, 2010
i remember he sounded like this in his God of War 3 review and possibly in some others. Maybe he's got a cold or his allegies are flaring up or something.

runnernda

Feb 8, 2010
I didn't think he had a cold. I thought that voice was on purpose; he sounded bored to me. Since he said the game was boring, I thought that was done on purpose. Get well soon, I guess?

Something Amyss

Aswyng and Amyss
Dec 3, 2008
Sketchy said:
Genixma said:
That'd be the winter cold... He's in Australia, it's winter here... And at least where I'm from, EVERYONE has this cold.
It's not winter, it's just an upside down summer. >.>

It sounds more like a different mic. Though we go through this every time he sounds even remotely different.

I'd comment on American Pie's Return of the Funk, but I'm not sure what to say. Seems like a good idea butchered.

striderkiwi

Jul 15, 2010
TheNaut131 said:
God, he hit the boss thing right on the head. I probably could've ignored this but for the love of God, they set them up SOOOOOOO easily.

"Oh hey a mechanical robot in the Hatter's Domain! Let's fi-oh it fell apart..."

"Hey, that Walrus is eating all of them! Let's kick so-wait, we're just leaving?"

"Wow, we're right in front of the Red Queen...who has been trying to kill us since the level started....who actually said "off with her head" at the beginning of the level...WHY AREN'T WE FIGHTING!?!?"

Jesus McGee!
I'm guessing they were planning on making those boss encounters but they probably ran out of funding or time.

shrekfan246

Not actually a Japanese pop star
May 26, 2011
Macrobstar said:
Soveru said:
Its his job to hate everything
Not really ots his jobs to give his opinion in a comical way, it just so happens he dislikes a lot of games, also for those saying he sounds differant, he just has a cold its happened before
Not sure if you've already been corrected, but ahem.

Critic: "one who expresses a reasoned opinion on any matter especially involving a judgment of its value, truth, righteousness, beauty, or technique; one given to harsh or captious judgment"

As Yahtzee is a "video game critic", it is technically his job to observe and point out the flaws that games have, and otherwise laud exceptional changes to the monotonous clones or just plain poor-quality or poorly executed games that get pumped out. So while the person you quoted was not entirely correct, he was technically more correct than you, sir or ma'am.

If Yahtzee "just so happen[ed] to dislike a lot of games", he would not have this job to begin with.

SckizoBoy

Ineptly Chaotic
Legacy
Apr 5, 2020
A Hermit's Cave
latenightapplepie said:
The best ZP in a while. The final "mad returns" joke was very good.
Really? I felt it seemed a bit flat... end credit joke aside.

To be fair, crappy voice (everyone says cold since it's frozen over in Oz) didn't help.

Seieko Pherdo

May 7, 2011
Out of all the reviewers/critics/whatever who reviewed this game I think Yahtzee pointed out the the real flaws the game had. Especially the one with the lack of bosses. That and I'm glad he said the last one of average too since I found it weird how the American Mcgee's Alice had a higher review score than this despite it having way more problems than this one.

Xanadu84

Apr 9, 2008
I heard that the new one wasn't very good, and I believe the reviews, but honestly, the original Alice game was one of my favorite games back in the day. I thought the art style was awesome, the puzzles intriguing, and the story fun. May have to grab this game when it drops drastically in price just to see. After all, for all of Yahtzees lambasting, he actually said a few positive things. A game that Yahtzee gives even a single positive point will generally be somewhat decent.

Justin1221

Aug 16, 2008
I think there was another time when Yahtzee's voice sounded different, but I can't remember why. Maybe he's got a cold or something. Maybe some device he uses is messing up.

Nenad

Mar 16, 2009
Just noticed how Yahtzees' voice is a big part of the show.

Get well soon!

hendoben

Nov 12, 2010
heh, I thought you sounded like you had a bit of a cold last week, but wasn't sure. Guess I was right. Hope you;re feeling better already!

elitestranger1

Nov 20, 2009
most critics said it was pretty good but not gr8 but then again they use rating systems so bugger them.

also yahtzee sounds like robert webb this week. and his voice broke a few times (hehe) but i refuse to quote the simpsons sweecky voiced teen coz maybe if we ignore it the show might just go away and leave us alone.

TimeLord

For the Emperor!
Legacy
Apr 5, 2020
Wow, it took a good 2-3 years or so to make the gay Batman and Robin joke after Yahtzee said it on the Australian Gamer Podcast? I would have thought it would have used it sooner.

Sizzle Montyjing

Pronouns - Slam/Slammed/Slammin'
Apr 5, 2011
I had a pretty good feeling he was going to slam this.
Nevertheless, i still like this game for one reason or another, whether it's the combat, the platforming or the art direction...
or perhaps it's becuase it isn't another BLOODY SHOOTER.
Great joke at the end too :D

LandoCristo

Apr 2, 2010
I nearly shot milk out of my nose on that last line. Dang, that was funny. Especially that little "neh" he did after it.

Unhappy Crow

Mar 14, 2010
I actually liked the game. I do agree that the platforming is long and gets boring after a couple of minutes of the same platfrom-to-puzzle lather rinse repeat thing, but it has better platforming than the prequel. Too bad the sequel got rid of ledge hanging and it only had one boss fight.

As for the prequel, I only hated how half of the weapons were shitty while a couple of them were cool, but takes up magic and if you ran out, you're stuck to using your knife and whatever you can get your hands on based on how much magic is left. Also the game slows down when you're fighting enemies. The fight between the Twiddle twins was the worst! It lagged so much, it felt like I was playing for the online leaderboards.

nariek

Mar 19, 2011
I may be on my own hear, but i'm sick of Alice in wonderland, I thinks its done and should be left alone. people now see it as an easy way of marketing to an audience of alternative tastes (I say it like that for lack of a better way to describe the targeted audience)I mean no offence to Lewis Carroll's work, even though its not my sort of thing. but people just take it, make it slightly dark(that marketable kind of dark anyway, I know it was already pretty messed up) and they know it'll sell a few copies.
of course I may just be slightly spiteful because I've known so many girls with Cheshire cat, or mad hatter tattoos who got on my freaking nerves. also i'm from Guildford, where he died and we had to study his work at school, including field trips to his statues in the town center, and I got severely bored of it.

Nimcha

Dec 6, 2010
Who the hell plays this game on a console anyway? On the PC it looks so fantastic none of these complaints even matter anymore.

let's rock

Jun 15, 2011
I was really expecting sonic collors. Why? Way back in you're review for iphone games, you mentioned that you needed another week to play sonic collors. But you never reviewed it. When shall our wait end????

Aptspire

Mar 13, 2008
I liked this game, and I thought those were fun, unusual mechanics in this day and age of chest-high walls and gritty brown tones (evade and block and all sorts of colors :D)

Barley Seed

Mar 7, 2011
His voice sounded just like his earlier videos. I like that. Regardless of that, I've never played this game nor the original, yet I have been tempted to buy it but I honestly can't see myself getting it any time in the near future.

team star pug

Sep 29, 2009
His voice this episode sounded like the earlier episodes, when he probably had a lower quality microphone or something.

deadxero

Sep 2, 2010
Agree with some above.... that really didn't sound like Yahtzee, it was kind of flat.

Yahtzee Croshaw

Aug 8, 2007
Jeez, people, it's not like he hasn't sounded like this before, though I couldn't point you to a specific video. The conspiracy theories about Yahtzee being murdered and replaced by an imperfect clone are going too far.

octafish said:
Anyway, American McGee has pretty much said himself that the game is a bit of fanservice and that he wants to get back to making the next Farmville or grindfest MMO or Angry Birds or whatever he is doing in Shanghai. I am not being facetious by the way, he has stated that core gaming is a dying business and the future is in social media games.
I have to wonder if it's just sour grapes. Those Doom flame-outs do seem to end up making cheap iphone games, don't they?

Aiddon_v1legacy

Nov 19, 2009
the whole idea of "Alice but dark" is completely redundant. I suppose if you're only going by, say, the Disney version of Alice you might have a surprise or two, but going by the original and its sequel it's nothing new. Literary scholars for years have interpreted the works as a journey through hell. Seriously, has anyone actually SEEN an original drawing of the Cheshire Cat? It's fucking disturbing.

At the very least this can't be as bad as Tim Burton's version. That was just an insult to Carroll's works.

caballitomalo

Aug 12, 2009
The first thing I thought upon listening to this episode? Comments will instantly turn towards "he sounds funny on this one: LETS SPECULATE WHY!" rather than anything else.

caballitomalo

Aug 12, 2009
You know what? From here on, if he knows hes voice (for whatever reason) isn't going to come out exactly as it usually does, then ZP should be dedicated to explain why instead of its original topic.

ewhac

Digital Spellweaver
Legacy
Escapist +
May 12, 2020
San Francisco Peninsula
Country
USA
Yahtzee clearly has a cold (or rather, he did when he recorded this). Go back to his first Escapist video for Heavenly Sword(s) [/videos/view/zero-punctuation/1-Heavenly-Sword-and-Other-Stuff]. where his voice sounds somewhat similar. In the end credits may be found the legend, "Written by a bottle of cough syrup and...".

So, yeah. A winter cold. Get well soon, Yahtzee. You've got a new bar to open next week.

GarciLP

Jun 26, 2011
Great review, but I had to pause and rewind a lot of times because the voice kind of threw me off. Didn't harm the review itself, just my attention span.

And also, was Yahtzee playing the Xbox version of it? I've heard a lot of stuff about the control issues on Alice, and wondered why Yahtzee hadn't mentioned them.

Dastardly

Imaginary Friend
Apr 19, 2010
Yahtzee Croshaw said:

This week, Zero Punctuation reviews American McGee's sequel adaptation of Lewis Carroll's Alice's Adventures in Wonderland. Now with more creepy baby doll heads!

Watch Video
...hope you feel better?

But yeah, I've got next to no interest in this game. Everyone's saying the same thing. And even Burton-McGee-King gets boring after awhile. Oooh, zany and creepy! Again!

Russian_Assassin

Apr 24, 2008
Someone's got a cold hm? Be thankful that you don't have a career in singing, Yahtzee, because it would be ruined.

Awesome review, really didn't expect Alice today. Though, seeing that we are entering the summer period of "Fuck all coming out", it's nice to see there are still games to review :p

EHKOS

Madness to my Methods
Feb 28, 2010
OhJohnNo said:
Sounds like he bought his old voice back.

To be fair the jumps are really small.

OT:I thoroughly enjoyed the game. The boss fight's or lack thereof were kinda wtf.

Moeez

May 28, 2009
TheNaut131 said:

C'mon McGee!
Yeah, but still it was a damn great final boss. A lot of effort was put into that boss, if Spicy Horse was a AAA developer, the other boss battles could've been as awesome.

Neverhoodian

Apr 2, 2008
Meh, the voice didn't really throw me that much. Perhaps it's because it sounded like the voice overs from his early reviews.

I never really understood the desire to make Alice in Wonderland "weird" and "creepy" myself, especially since the original book was strange and more than a little unsettling to begin with.

wolas3214

Mar 30, 2011
Sounded like yahtzee had a cold today. Although the ending laughw as right up my disease ridden alley.

Aug 1, 2010
Did Yahtzee's balls just drop a second time???

OT: Too bad about the game. I was really hoping the game-play would be fun and weird, but as you said, it's just boring.

DrEmo

May 4, 2009
"I can't see Madness Returns making mad returns *limp laughter*"

I have read the above quote several times and I still haven't figured out why I've been laughing at it for the past 2 minutes.

Great episode.

Gaderael

Apr 14, 2009
Funny as usual. I loved the game though. I thought the story was done quite well, and I really enjoyed the platforming. I also thought the combat mechanics were pretty well done, and I was using a keyboard and mouse.

MinishArcticFox

Jan 4, 2010
Hey everyone his voice sounded different!

Oh you mean I didn't have to say it because it was obvious seeing as how almost everyone on the site watches at least one of his videos once a week and that if all I have to say is something blatantly obvious that's been said a dozen times already I shouldn't say it? What a novel concept that I will ignore by adding that I thought the review was unfair to the game despite being funny.

YunikoYokai5

Jun 16, 2010
awww, you sound ill Yatzee XD here, have a Deep Fried Mars Bar fresh from Scotland to make you feel better. If you don't want that, maybe I'll send over a fish supper instead...

But entertaining video XD laughed many a time. Feel better soon!

vivster

Oct 16, 2010
so it looks like his mic is broken again
what does he do with those things?

gillebro

Nov 13, 2009
is it a cold he's got? I hope it wasn't him diddling with his recording equipment again, because it's hard to take in what he's saying when it doesn't sound like... him. Although I have to say, it made his sort of pathetic chuckle in the end more pathetic-sounding, and therefore funnier.

shufflemonkey16

Mar 7, 2008
Yahtzee really really likes Human Centipede, doesn't he. He's referred to it somehow in pretty much every other video this year. This is something he should address at some point, I think.

Cid Silverwing

Paladin of The Light
Jul 27, 2008
Coming down with something again, are we, comrade Yahtzee? Get well soon.

Also surprised you didn't stab Disney's Alice. I was sitting through everything expecting a Schadenfreude-tastic torturing of the aforementioned property.

Zechnophobe

Feb 4, 2010
The game was oddly hollow by the end. I mean, I enjoyed it. It was incredibly beautiful... but there was just not enough substance in the gameplay. It is unfortunate really, because the combat was decently well nuanced, and the quadruple jump made for some impressive motion dynamics.

But then you spend the entire game just jumping around hitting levers, and shrinking through key holes. Good mechanics... terrible level design.

UnravThreads

Aug 10, 2009
Just to add what Yahtzee didn't - The PC version doesn't come with the remake, unless you're one of the people who doesn't mind buying from the EA StoreOrigin AND you live in the US. Yes, that's right, only one portion of the market has access to the remake, and the original at a semi-decent price is like trying to find a needle in a great big pile of turds.

ManupBatman

Jun 23, 2011
God, I'm surprised how many people comment about Yahtzee's voice. He's not and immortal robot entertainer, there are colds in Australia.

And I really wanted this game to be good, but the moment Wonderland becomes about combat it's just not really Wonderland. I wonder if any of these adaptations would even exist if not for the Vorpal Blade.

Yahtzee Croshaw

Aug 8, 2007
You know I have to say this episode really wasnt very funny. He didnt really make any jokes and intead just picked on the game.

Macrobstar

Apr 28, 2010
Nimcha said:
Who the hell plays this game on a console anyway? On the PC it looks so fantastic none of these complaints even matter anymore.
People who prefer consoles? Or people who want the 2 game bundle?

LCP

Dec 24, 2008
Yahtzee and his cold :(

However.
"Neh Heh Nhehh!"

Cracked me up

Moeez

May 28, 2009
I agree with Yahtzee on one thing. The story could've been directly tied to the levels, informing each other. For Chapters 1-4, they do lead into each other,
like Alice drowning then ending up under the sea in Chapter 2, or visiting Radcliffe's house where his like for oriental work leads into the Chinese/Japanese mix of porcelain and samurais. But it's when Chapter 5's Dollhouse comes around, does it inform the real-world story of what is occurring with the orphans' minds,
where Yahtzee missed the point of creepy dolls being redundant. The villain's goals are now clear and how it ties to the orphans in the house.
The orphans lose their personality with the process of forgetting memories, hence becoming dolls, and the architecture also hints sexual abuse of the orphans to foreshadow the reveal that they're being sold into pedophile sex slavery.

http://desmond.imageshack.us/Himg580/scaled.php?server=580&filename=c36020110701102304.jpg&res=medium
[http://imageshack.us/photo/my-images/32/27166010150231917561896.jpg/]

This chapter is where the creepy imagery is warranted instead of feeling forced. Once you finish the game on such a strong note of interactive storytelling, I could forgive the rest of the chapters feeling more videogame-y.

Yahtzee Croshaw

Aug 8, 2007
trollpwner said:
666Chaos said:
You know I have to say this episode really wasnt very funny. He didnt really make any jokes and intead just picked on the game.
Kinda his job, really. Game critic.
Ya but normally he makes jokes and stuff. In this one he just kind of listed off problem and didnt really seem to make fun of anything or even try to make it entertaining.

Atheist.

Overmind
Sep 12, 2008
Genixma said:
You do realize it's Winter in Australia, right?

Dragonpit

Nov 10, 2010
Aww...too bad...It sounded like such great-hey! Wait a minute, when did Yahtzee get a new microphone?

(Yeah, I know. I could've made the usual "he had a cold" joke, but I'm pretty sure it's been killed a few posts back and I'm currently sleep deprived, which means expecting humor from me is like expecting My Little Pony content from horses. Take that any way you want.)

ADeskofRichMahogany

Jan 4, 2010
I played through this game and really enjoyed it (except the end boss fight. That was too easy...).

I agree with most of the review. I was really looking forward to boss fights at the end of every chapter, and so I was disappointed at the end of every chapter when there was no boss. The gameplay is really prolonged and combat gets boring fairly quickly (unless you purposely do stupid things like I did).

Also, if you want the bundle, make sure you don't buy it on Steam, because that doesn't count.

Yahtzee Croshaw

Aug 8, 2007
Now that was really unnecessarily harsh. Not that those points aren't true, but it's still amazing what the Chinese devs managed to accomplish.

One just has to appreciate games like this, in today's world of grey and brown.

Also, the first Alice wasn't good? What's Yahtzee smoking? And Scrapland? That was a freakin' sweet game.

Bigsmith

Mar 16, 2009
Never noticed the end credit jokes till my girlfriend pointed it out. Currently going through the older episodes to find more.

Ot: I really, really enjoyed the game. I found it fun and really enjoyed the combat. I didn't mind the fact that there really were no bosses until the last one. Would have of enjoyed having to actually take on some of the characters. I mean, take the final encounter with the Hare and the Door mouse, could have been a fantastic end of chapter boss fight I got really pumped up and was like "Oh, finally, a boss fight" and it ended as just one big flop.

Ok, I lied, I do think their should have been bosses in the game. Even if they were just end of chapter bosses. It would have of been better then what we got.

When it comes to the platforming, again, I kinda agree with what he is saying here. The massive jump range is silly and spreads the game out too thinly. A bit like trying to spread the last drop of jam over a massive slice of toast. XD

I didn't see any problem with the enemies in the game, the enemies in the game seemed to vary between chapters and the only ones that seemed to be the same across all chapters where the "ruins".

Over all, I really liked the game. Sadly I don't see any replay value. Just glad I got it on steam and not what ever shit that EA has put out on the market.

GrizzlerBorno

Sep 2, 2010
Oh.My.God. Yahtzee has been replaced with a gruff voiced british game protagonist!

Jokes aside, Get well soon man.

Feb 13, 2008
Loved Alice. Still loved Alice. Yahtzee sucks :p

But we did get to hear him f-bomb his way through this...a new mature edge?

00slash00

Dec 29, 2009
it seems like every few months yahtzees voice changes in a subtle but noticeable way, and just i get used to it, it changes again

Frank_Sinatra_

Digs Giant Robots
Dec 30, 2008
OhJohnNo said:

No, it's actually more of a 3 jump.
JasonBurnout16 said:
On the other note, can really not decide if I should rent this game or not. It sounds interesting though. Hmm.
Well the scenery is beautiful in the majority of levels, but some do drag on wayyyyy too long (I'm looking at you dollhouse), but if you don't mind long levels too much I suggest renting it to show support that art games can actually exist in this industry dominated by boring cloned shooters.

Not G. Ivingname

Nov 18, 2009
Yahtzee Croshaw said:

Watch Video
By the sound of your review, you had to force your way through this game's boringness and just had nothing really exciting to say about it. Am I right?

Pinkamena

Stuck in a vortex of sexy horses
Jun 27, 2011
All I could think through this video was "Who are you, and what have you done to yahtzee?"

DarkhoIlow

Dec 31, 2009
I enjoyed playing the game,but it got very dreary and repetitive towards the end.

I thought those dollhouse levels would never end.

I had a few laughs at this video,especially the wannabe pun at the end,hilarious! :D

Warforger

Apr 24, 2010
SmashLovesTitanQuest said:
Wait, is this Yahtzee? It kind of sounds like him, but it kinda doesnt. Gives you a weird feeling when listening.
It's a cold, he sounded like this in his God Of War 3 review and it happens time to time.

SickBritKid

Jan 11, 2011
Oh, look! Another "Yahtzee-is-an-Anti-America-xenophobe" joke! Never seen one of those before!

Yahtzee Croshaw

Aug 8, 2007
Did Yahtzee grow an extra testicle or something?!

OT: I have already seen reviews of Alice TMR and they all say the same thing...

"It's better than the first game!"

But when you remember that the first game was (by far) no masterpiece "It's better than the first game!" is not saying much.

Ulquiorra4sama

Saviour In the Clockwork
Feb 2, 2010
Genixma said:
Australia =P

OT: I've been weighing whether i should buy this or not. Seems like the problem of sameyness is brought up a lot so i probably won't.

JoJo

and the Amazing Technicolour Dream Goat 🐐
Legacy
Mar 26, 2020
Country
🇬🇧
Shame about Yahtzee's voice, even though assuming it is a cold it isn't his fault, otherwise mostly good review. A slight error though, the real Alice wasn't a teenager when the author knew her, she was more like 7 to 11 so yeah... 0.o

dfphetteplace

Nov 29, 2009
Genixma said:
Its winter in Australia.

OtherSideofSky

Jan 4, 2010
I enjoyed the game, but I can't say his criticisms aren't accurate. I would, however, like to point out that the quadruple-jump doesn't actually make the game super-easy. It's easier than the first one, but the first one was only hard because it was broken (it was an action platformer with TPS controls, you can imagine how that went). The original did, however, feature a lot more little interesting flourishes in the level design. Also, I kind of like the mini games and I'm surprised he didn't at least make a joke about the one where you play as a baby-doll head rolling through a machine, although my favorite was the 2D platformer inside a Chinese scroll painting.

Xero Scythe

Aug 7, 2009
Chris Sandford said:
for some reason, that didnt sound like yahtzee to me...
Yeah, I was thinking the same thing...maybe his mic got screwed up again.
[/shrug]

Yahtzee Croshaw

Aug 8, 2007
one thing i realize more and more about yahtzee, its that simply put he's a bad gamer. really, any game that requires twitch skills or really intense hand eye coordination he simply stamps "to hard" on it. I played the game on the hardest difficulty and found it a cake walk, but I regularly play bullet curtain games.

he's great at reviewing, great a being a comedian, but his actual skills are extremely lacking.

RJ Dalton

Aug 13, 2009
Genixma said:
It's winter in Australia.

whiteshark12

Jan 30, 2011
Genixma said:
In case you didn't know, it;s winter in australia.

D-tritus Debris

Jun 18, 2011
Even though I agree with the arguments he brings up about this game, I cannot agree with what he says about the first Alice game, which was great, and especially about Scrapland, which is one of my favorite games of all time, along Starcraft, and Heroes of Might and Magic III. It has its flaws, but it's a wonderful, and gorgeous(for its time) game, with a great story...but that's just my 2 cents.

BlackWidower

Nov 16, 2009
He didn't seem that into it this week. It might have something to do with his voice. It's the same voice he had during his Assassin's Creed 2 review. Turns out he had a cold or something. So he's likely tired.

Note: loved the ending! Little chuckle he added just made it funnier.

Iwata

Feb 25, 2010
I got this game because I loved the original, and found it to be worth it. The fact that it comes with an HD version of the original only makes it that much sweeter.

duchaked

Dec 25, 2008
haha haaa the ending's tone fit right in there

but I don't know much about the original game or series except what some videos have told me about the game's creator and a quick overview of the game (yes, made in China lolz)...I try to avoid calling things pretentious without knowing more about it but people seem to be going there

Yahtzee Croshaw

Aug 8, 2007
Yessssss Always ads, I really feel like buying some pads now

but yea, I love this game although it gets pretty repetitive.. I find the story and atmosphere absolutely amazing though.

Nov 12, 2010
I won't say "blasphemy" since I don't even consider it a word, but the original Alice was a true masterpiece, except for the very simplistic puzzles. Yahtzee didn't provide any evidence what so ever to support his claim that it "wasn't that good". Weapons weren't worthless as he said, even though I remember Vorpal Blade, Blunderbuss and Jabberwock's Eye Staff the most. The original's atmosphere is what mostly made the game, truly. The script was neat too.

I shall give this one a go, even despite all the "mixed" reviews and the lack of bosses, which the original had plenty of. I just hope it'll be half as good as the original was.

The end phrase of his rant was pretty good, but we'll see if that's going to be the case. Only time will tell.

Buizel91

Autobot
Aug 25, 2008
"It's like putting a pitbull down with carpet bombing"

Hehe i lol'd xD

good review as ever, loved the laugh at the end xD Neh heh nyeh xD

Scrimshaw13

Jun 21, 2011
its definitely Yahtzee, he's just got a cold or lost his voice. He sounds like he did in the first few videos and his voice cracks a few times.

CardinalPiggles

Jun 24, 2010
OhJohnNo said:

I thought that, it seems kind of cheap for a platformer. Although he could be exaggerating.

uguito-93

This space for rent
Jul 16, 2009
shadowmagus said:
Dude it's Yahtzee, just with added cold or flu. Look back at the first review and the Assassins Creed 2 one and he sounds the same. Remember that its winter in Australia and around half the population has a cold, myself included.

uguito-93

This space for rent
Jul 16, 2009
Clipclop said:
one thing i realize more and more about yahtzee, its that simply put he's a bad gamer. really, any game that requires twitch skills or really intense hand eye coordination he simply stamps "to hard" on it. I played the game on the hardest difficulty and found it a cake walk, but I regularly play bullet curtain games.

he's great at reviewing, great a being a comedian, but his actual skills are extremely lacking.
Uhh dude in no moment during this video does he say that the game is too hard, complaining about bad level design and poor gameplay is something completely different, and I do not recall any video were he decries a twitchy game for being too hard. Think about it, he's in his mid/late 20's and has been gaming for most his life. I doubt that with around 20 years of experience with games anyone would be bad at playing them. Plus have you actually seen him play?

samaugsch

Oct 13, 2010
Warforger said:
SmashLovesTitanQuest said:
It's a cold, he sounded like this in his God Of War 3 review and it happens time to time.
I think it sounds more like he did in his very first videos.

hecticpicnic

Jul 27, 2010
I agree that's its really pretentious, but when i saw the game actually being played, it wasn't as bad as i expected.

Last Hugh Alive

Jul 6, 2011
The lack of enthusiasm and energy in his laugh at the end was hilarious!

Didn't think much of the review though, but that tends to him with his reviews of games I haven't played.

walrusaurus

Mar 1, 2011
I just got new speakers today and this was the first thing i listened to on them. I seriously thought I was going to have to take them back lol. Good to know its not just me.

Yahtzee Croshaw

Aug 8, 2007
uguito-93 said:
Clipclop said:

Uhh dude in no moment during this video does he say that the game is too hard, complaining about bad level design and poor gameplay is something completely different, and I do not recall any video were he decries a twitchy game for being too hard. Think about it, he's in his mid/late 20's and has been gaming for most his life. I doubt that with around 20 years of experience with games anyone would be bad at playing them. Plus have you actually seen him play?
thats just it. There IS no bad level design or gameplay. The buttons are 100% complete responsive, its made to be a action platformer at its core. Using your dodge skills is a must and getting hit is no fault but the players, and sometimes the cameras.

rickicker

Oct 26, 2010
Wow, I didn't know you turn into a proper gentleman when you have a cold, Yahtzee. XD

I never did understood what's the big deal with American McGee's games anyway. Bizarre and dark is good and all, for they make interesting eye catcher, but only relying on bizarre visuals and dark storylines could only carry your games just far enough for the gameplay to take over. And if the gameplay fails to capture the attention of the gamer after receiving that pass from the visual and storyline hurdles, well, it just won't work.

uguito-93

This space for rent
Jul 16, 2009
Clipclop said:
uguito-93 said:
Clipclop said:

thats just it. There IS no bad level design or gameplay. The buttons are 100% complete responsive, its made to be a action platformer at its core. Using your dodge skills is a must and getting hit is no fault but the players, and sometimes the cameras.
I've only played a few levels of it so my opinion might not reflect the whole game, but i have to disagree. While the controls worked fine for the brief time i played it I still found them to feel a sluggish and not as responsive as you made it out to be. I found the section I played through to be an uninspired sequence of floating platforms with the only the backdrop having any hint of creativity.

Hypersapien

Nov 14, 2007
He sounds like he did in the very first ZP episodes. Honestly, I liked it better before he got all rage-filled and just had more deadpan sarcasm. I hope he stays with this.

Yahtzee Croshaw

Aug 8, 2007
uguito-93 said:
Clipclop said:
uguito-93 said:
Clipclop said:

I've only played a few levels of it so my opinion might not reflect the whole game, but i have to disagree. While the controls worked fine for the brief time i played it I still found them to feel a sluggish and not as responsive as you made it out to be. I found the section I played through to be an uninspired sequence of floating platforms with the only the backdrop having any hint of creativity.
Than your obvoiusly just not that great at it. No offense. I could easily do a "no hit" run with this game on the hardest difficulty because the dodge and attack controls are so perfectly streamlined. There IS no sluggishness besides the switch between the teapot cannon and the pepper gun, and thats there for balance obvoiusly. This game is hands down the most responsive "big title" i've played this year.

Now as a "platformer" it is lackluster, its repetitive and doesn't make alot of sense. But as a 'action game" it easily gets a 10 out of 10. The only thing i can really tell you is to "get better at it" because the fault only lies with you and sometimes rarely when the camera gives you shit.

ensouls

Feb 1, 2010
I have to agree about hammering the "creepy doll face" theme into the ground. The large number of enemies designed around that were just... dull. And they show up in practically every level (some of which seem much longer than necessary).

One thing that surprisingly wasn't really mentioned were the minigames, which were probably the most jarring, immersion-killing minis I've ever played. There's a point where the Mock Turtle's ship dives underwater, and it starts a sidescrolling game that, I swear, would not be out of place in an old Donkey Kong game. It was ridiculous. I ran into a bug at one point where a switch had no effect, but it resolved itself on the next try.

On the plus side, I actually really enjoyed some of the concept artish cut scenes. And some of the individual level designs were really lovely at first, like the theater or the faux Asian level. The controls were good, the target lock system was awful. Hell of a lot more plot than most new games, say what you will. Overall pretty enjoyable.

uguito-93

This space for rent
Jul 16, 2009
Clipclop said:
uguito-93 said:
Clipclop said:
uguito-93 said:
Clipclop said:

Than your obvoiusly just not that great at it. No offense. I could easily do a "no hit" run with this game on the hardest difficulty because the dodge and attack controls are so perfectly streamlined. There IS no sluggishness besides the switch between the teapot cannon and the pepper gun, and thats there for balance obvoiusly. This game is hands down the most responsive "big title" i've played this year.

Now as a "platformer" it is lackluster, its repetitive and doesn't make alot of sense. But as a 'action game" it easily gets a 10 out of 10. The only thing i can really tell you is to "get better at it" because the fault only lies with you and sometimes rarely when the camera gives you shit.
*ahem* Did I at any point say that I found the game to be hard? The level i tried was way too easy even on the hardest difficulty so i agree with you on that, but that this does not change the fact that the controls felt sluggish to me. And yes it is a lackluster platformer but as an action game it felt no less mediocre to me.

Dude if you personally loved the game then more power to ya, just dont go around claiming that other people didnt like it just because they were bad at it, all that you are doing is trying to justify why you liked the game to yourself. Just be content that you loved the game and let others develop their own opinions.

Yahtzee Croshaw

Aug 8, 2007
uguito-93 said:
Clipclop said:
uguito-93 said:
Clipclop said:
uguito-93 said:
Clipclop said:

*ahem* Did I at any point say that I found the game to be hard? The level i tried was way too easy even on the hardest difficulty so i agree with you on that, but that this does not change the fact that the controls felt sluggish to me. And yes it is a lackluster platformer but as an action game it felt no less mediocre to me.

Dude if you personally loved the game then more power to ya, just dont go around claiming that other people didnt like it just because they were bad at it, all that you are doing is trying to justify why you liked the game to yourself. Just be content that you loved the game and let others develop their own opinions.
Ah ah ah, don't you even dare start that slippery slope. I thought the "game" itself was mediocre and that the old one was far more imaginative. By the time i was nearing the end of the game I was completely rushing it because i was completely out of damns to give. Just because I praise a part of the game you obvoiusly lack skill at doesn't mean I'm defending the game in a whole.

Thats literally like me saying your completely bullheaded about the "sluggishness" of the control only because you love yahtzee so much and will do whatever to agree with him. Every review of this game I've come across praises unanimously the absolute responsiveness and streamline perfection that ARE the controls. And i will absolutely agree. I still think you have no gaming skills.

Nyce1

Jun 25, 2010
Loved the original even with the crappy pc controls and sequel solid! The game is not about boss fights ...obviously since there are none. Its about story! Though boss fights be a good DLC add-on!

uguito-93

This space for rent
Jul 16, 2009
Clipclop said:
uguito-93 said:
Clipclop said:
uguito-93 said:
Clipclop said:
uguito-93 said:
Clipclop said:

Ah ah ah, don't you even dare start that slippery slope. I thought the "game" itself was mediocre and that the old one was far more imaginative. By the time i was nearing the end of the game I was completely rushing it because i was completely out of damns to give. Just because I praise a part of teh game you obvoiusly lack skill at doesn't mean I'm defending the game in a whole.

Thats literally like me saying your completely bullheaded about the "sluggishness" of the control only because you love yahtzee so much and will do whatever to agree with him. Every review of this game I've come across praises unanimously the absolute responsiveness and streamline perfection that ARE the controls. And i will absolutely agree. I still think you have no gaming skills.
Who knows? maybe my friend just had a messed up version or had turned the sensitivity down and i apologies for misinterpreting your overall opinion of the game. As to always agreeing with yahtzee i do recall disagreeing with most of his complaints regarding the mass effect series. And while it is true that i have never gotten past the second boss in Demon's souls I am still satisfied with my skill level.

MacJack

Jun 23, 2011
Its Yantzee he is got cold again.

In any case this review was actually good,it started on how the first game was meh with poor controlling and it pointed out that despite the second being fixed, its not a better game but it has some pretty empty envrioments, add the jokes here and there, and that was a nice review.

I dont see why people say he hated the game, atleast not in this review.

daitsdudes

Feb 9, 2011
I think this is most fair review to date. I got it and had fun with it, it looks amazing. All of his gripes were substantiated too.

el_kabong

Shark Rodeo Champion
Mar 18, 2010
That forced chuckle at the end almost caused me to spit soda on my laptop. Glorious.

ProjectTrinity

Apr 29, 2010
XxDuSaNxX said:
I really liked the game, but hey, Yahtzee hates everything xD
Shadows of the Colossus says he just wants amazingness. :p

----Nothing to do with the quote above----

The way he reviews is right up my jaded-gamer ally. If he gives a game a green light, there's an excellent chance I'll pick it up. (And yeah, the opposite if he bashes it) I know to some, it will seem like I'm missing "an okay game", but I don't have $60 bucks to waste on every "okay game" on the market right now. Nor do I have the determination. I've grown bored of games that do basically the same thing with a different tweak to the dynamic. So I ask everyone not to try and recommend me a game that fits a mold too well. ' -'

Vault101

I'm in your mind fuzz
Sep 26, 2010
octafish said:
New Mic? Anyway, American McGee has pretty much said himself that the game is a bit of fanservice and that he wants to get back to making the next Farmville or grindfest MMO or Angry Birds or whatever he is doing in Shanghai. I am not being facetious by the way, he has stated that core gaming is a dying business and the future is in social media games.

A shame, I did like Scrapland, and the original Alice.

EDIT: Ouch just checked the Brisvegas weather. It's almost as cold as down here in Melbourne.
core gaming a dying thing? since when? I really dont see how that makes sense since they are pretty much completley different products,

I mean mabye core gaming would have more "socail gaming elements" but I mean no one is trading the AAA experience for angrey birds

anyway I bourght this game knowing it would be less than perfect, just because it was somthing a little different to most of whats on offer thease days

Yahtzee Croshaw

Aug 8, 2007
Chris Sandford said:
for some reason, that didnt sound like yahtzee to me...
Exactly, not quite high pitched enough. It was really off putting, please go back to your normal video voice Yahtzee.

Rabish Bini

Jun 11, 2011
Genixma said:
It's Winter in Australia...

Jyggalag

Jan 21, 2011
Does he have the flu, is he pissed off, or is he trying to have an American accent? (If you can call a yankee monotone "accent" an accent)

punipunipyo

Jan 20, 2011
ok, it's either you have a cold, or you are NOT Yahtzee.... anyhow, I had to choose ONE game for the first part of my summer, and I happened to choose the "little girl" (Alice) over the "Big Man" (Duke), so yeh, still playing it, and I think so far... it's not too bad, I guess if I read the book, I'd like the "twists" better.... but I didn't... so.. yeh,

whycantibelinus

Sep 29, 2009
So your sense of humor turns even more dry and your voice turns into a wildlife documentary narrators voice when you're sick eh? Fun episode yo.

John the Gamer

May 2, 2010
Wallace and Gromit are awesome... Sorry.

But yeah, I honestly don't care all that much about this game.

Monty Python is also cool.

Razorback0z

Feb 10, 2009
Dollar bills being ripped away from urchins by the biggest c*nt on earth ? I thought you were reviewing a game not Juliar's carbon tax ??

Terminally Chill

Jun 21, 2011
I'm sure he has a cold, I'm in Adelaide and it's absolutely freezing, wouldn't doubt it's the same up in Brisbane. Aussie winters have been quite brutal the past few years.

Nice review, pretty much agree with every word. I honestly can't really see the point in this sequel, to be honest.

Ickorus

Mar 9, 2009
I kinda like Alice, it makes a nice change from all the generic super-serious games out there and of course 'realistic' shooters.

Guess it's the same reason I like Section 8: Prejudice, just makes a nice change.

Neither of the game I mentioned are perfect though which is really sad for me to realise, im willing to accept games that are flawed yet different over games that are identical to one another but have more solid gameplay mechanics.

I suppose it's because those solid gameplay mechanics are also all identical to one another.

NKnight

Jul 31, 2010
Good episode. No surprises tought, just Yatzee beeing Yatzee.

Now the great mystery of Yatzees's voice! Let's hope for an answer for this intriguing story in a future episode... or not.

Swifteye

Apr 15, 2010
Vanguard1219 said:
I'm just going to leave this right here.

~V
Yet another instance of people involved in the game yahtzee reviewed actually watching his review. It's right up there with peter Molyneux contacting him after his review of fable and sucker punch and the people who made prototype actually playing along with that women's bra contest. Just awesome.

Sacman

Don't Bend! Ascend!
May 15, 2008
I didn't know American McGee was his real name... I feel sorry for him now...<.<

DJ_DEnM

My brother answers too!
Dec 22, 2010
Now list of the next game he'll review? The only guesses I got are Shadows of the Damned and Zelda 3D...

DJ Jack

Nov 18, 2009
Heh, loved the laugh at the end. To bad to hear Alice isn't all that great though, I was thinking about picking it up myself. Oh well, in this economy I shouldn't be buying more games anyway.

Yahtzee Croshaw

Aug 8, 2007
I really like his giggle at the end. Yeah it wasn't a giggle but...it was what Yahtzee would do in an event of a giggle.

Mydnyght

Feb 17, 2010
So Yahtzee's 'sick voice' is back, huh? Let's see, what other reviews had his 'sick voice'? I can think of Assassin's Creed 2, God of War III, and Red Steel 2...

Anyway, that was the most disturbing in-credits joke I've ever seen! I couldn't bring myself to read that out loud. That's how disturbed I was by that!

(Oh, and speaking of the credits, once again, NEVER trust a Zero Punctuation Imp when it comes to ANYTHING. Including a mirror to slip into.)

By the way, people, THOSE aren't creepy doll heads. THIS is a Creepy Doll head!

(I'm really surprised no one else brought up the Loading Ready Run Creepy Doll in this thread...)

Yahtzee Croshaw

Aug 8, 2007
The voice freaked me out. Like a hobo trying to win me over by wearing Yahtzee's skin and trying his best to sound like him. It was a tad distracting actually, not that he could help it though. Sounds like a terrible game, but I have to take what Yahtzee says with mountains of salt otherwise I wouldn't buy any game ever, not that I do anyway.

Anchupom

In it for the Pub Club cookies
Apr 15, 2009
(not-so) interesting fact about alice in wonderland, it was written in relation to a world that functioned on higher mathematics logic.

rickicker

Oct 26, 2010
Seriously, the second time I listen through it, the funnier it gets. Yahtzee's laugh at the end summarizes his entire show with that single "Neh heh nyeh", as if saying, "Ha ha, sure my delivery is flat and my jokes are offensive and outright juvenile, but so is the game I'm reviewing. So we're all squared that way."

TactlessC

Jan 28, 2011
I can't tell whether someone else is doing the commentary, if you have a cold, or if your balls dropped again.

Trishbot

May 10, 2011
My personal opinion on Alice: Madness Returns:

It's one of my favorite games of the year.

Yes, it has some flaws. Three big ones include: 1) a lack of bosses you expect to fight, 2) graphics that don't always look "impressive", and 3) levels that drag on too long (particularly the Dollhouse).

BUT.... it has such BEAUTIFUL art direction, a really engaging Zelda-esque combat system, wonderful platforming, hundreds of secrets and collectables, lots of replay value (New Game+, Chapter Selections), original worlds and characters, some great minigames, and it flows very smoothly and responsively.

AND console owners get the original Alice game in HD, and that's almost worth a purchase all on its own (Ebay sells it for almost $150-200 depending on the version).

It was a breath of fresh air in an otherwise shooter-filled, movie-tie-in-ridden season, and it's just what I needed.

The Queen's Castle was a highlight; beautiful art, dramatic chase sequences, clever puzzles and riddles, tense battles, freakish decor and environments, and the storming the castle moment as a giant sized Alice swatting away guards by the thousands.

I recommend giving the game at least a rental. If you remotely liked the original Alice, this one is much better. It's not for everyone, but it charmed its way into my favorite game list this year.

Asuka Soryu

Jun 11, 2010
I kinda like the simplistic gamestyle, but dang does it feel empty. .-. I never really thought about it... gah, Wonderland's become a Ghost Town.

SL33TBL1ND

Nov 9, 2008
Genixma said:
Actually, it's winter here in Aus. So...

Ohlookit'sMatty

Sep 11, 2008
Did everyone else notice that Yahtzee voice was really different in this one? For the first half of the review I could swear it was someone else

-M

chinangel

Sep 25, 2009
I really really enjoyed this game. o.o

the doll thing did get a bit excessive...until you discover why it'shappening. Then the over-abundance of dolls makes perfect sense. the game even managed to make me very uncomfortable in a few places, which coming from a girl who absolutely adores silent hill, is no easy feat.

THey did leave the door hanging open for a sequel to if they so wished one.

Unia

Jan 15, 2010
Eh, I don't think anybody could talk me out of getting the game at this point. I loved the first one despite the abysmal jumping controls. No boss battles sounds sweet, the Jabberwock squeezed tears of frustration out of me. Then I found out I had to fight it twice T-T

On side note, I know Carroll wrote the stories originally for a real little girl called Alice, but where does the paedophilia spin come from? I hope someone just misinterpreted his use of the word 'love'. Otherwise...I'll never look at the book the same way again.

Genixma

Sep 22, 2009
Loved the entire game...only thing that bugged me was the dialogue. She keeps going on that she had a hand in the family killing but never explains how. And when she comes to the conclusion that she did. It's still not explain. Then she goes back to talking how "there are no centaurs in Oxford" which I never understood I went back and played the original to see if it was from there but nothing. Dialogue aside and letting you believe your about to have a boss fight. I liked it.

Aug 9, 2011
Genixma said:
Loved the entire game...only thing that bugged me was the dialogue. She keeps going on that she had a hand in the family killing but never explains how. And when she comes to the conclusion that she did. It's still not explain. Then she goes back to talking how "there are no centaurs in Oxford" which I never understood I went back and played the original to see if it was from there but nothing. Dialogue aside and letting you believe your about to have a boss fight. I liked it.
If you go back to the first video in this game, there is a short scene where a centaur is pushing a doll in a baby carriage and the doll bursts into flames a moment later. This insinuates that Alice may have thought a centaur was responsible for starting the fire, and after she realizes who really did it, she backs this theory up by discounting her earlier theory of a centaur starting the fire. Of course, the designers really should have explained this in the game, as only someone completely obsessed or completely mental could have figured it out (You can take a guess at which one I am :p).

Taranaich

Jul 30, 2008
Unia said:
On side note, I know Carroll wrote the stories originally for a real little girl called Alice, but where does the paedophilia spin come from? I hope someone just misinterpreted his use of the word 'love'. Otherwise...I'll never look at the book the same way again.
The "Carroll was a paedophile" theory has been largely criticized in the past decade or so, accused of blowing things out of proportion, being based on nothing more than speculation and supposition, and for failing to take into account the very different social mores of the 1860s in general. Generally the consensus is that Carroll loved children in a non-sexual way, but drawing and photographing children in the nude and being so preoccupied with children as opposed to adults tends to put people on alert when viewed with a modern mindset. Even if Carroll did have a sexual attraction to Alice Liddell - a theory which has no actual evidence - girls were allowed to marry without their parent's consent at the age of 12 at the time.

Xman490

Doctorate in Danger
May 29, 2010
The boss fights finished by cutscenes were also in a trailer. To me, that trailer might have even made me want the game less. Trailers with cutscenes should be mostly removed in my opinion, except for debut trailers.

Speaking of too many trailers, I can't wait for your Saints Row the Third review, which will probably mention the dozens of trailers it had. Cherished Memories are more like "Spoiled Moments".