Zero Punctuation: Alice: Madness Returns

caballitomalo

Aug 12, 2009
The first thing I thought upon listening to this episode? Comments will instantly turn towards "he sounds funny on this one: LETS SPECULATE WHY!" rather than anything else.

caballitomalo

Aug 12, 2009
You know what? From here on, if he knows hes voice (for whatever reason) isn't going to come out exactly as it usually does, then ZP should be dedicated to explain why instead of its original topic.

ewhac

Digital Spellweaver
Legacy
Escapist +
Sep 2, 2009
San Francisco Peninsula
Country
USA
Yahtzee clearly has a cold (or rather, he did when he recorded this). Go back to his first Escapist video for Heavenly Sword(s) [/videos/view/zero-punctuation/1-Heavenly-Sword-and-Other-Stuff]. where his voice sounds somewhat similar. In the end credits may be found the legend, "Written by a bottle of cough syrup and...".

So, yeah. A winter cold. Get well soon, Yahtzee. You've got a new bar to open next week.

GarciLP

Jun 26, 2011
Great review, but I had to pause and rewind a lot of times because the voice kind of threw me off. Didn't harm the review itself, just my attention span.

And also, was Yahtzee playing the Xbox version of it? I've heard a lot of stuff about the control issues on Alice, and wondered why Yahtzee hadn't mentioned them.

Dastardly

Imaginary Friend
Apr 19, 2010
Yahtzee Croshaw said:
Alice: Madness Returns

This week, Zero Punctuation reviews American McGee's sequel adaptation of Lewis Carroll's Alice's Adventures in Wonderland. Now with more creepy baby doll heads!

Watch Video
...hope you feel better?

But yeah, I've got next to no interest in this game. Everyone's saying the same thing. And even Burton-McGee-King gets boring after awhile. Oooh, zany and creepy! Again!

Russian_Assassin

Apr 24, 2008
Someone's got a cold hm? Be thankful that you don't have a career in singing, Yahtzee, because it would be ruined.

Awesome review, really didn't expect Alice today. Though, seeing that we are entering the summer period of "Fuck all coming out", it's nice to see there are still games to review :p

EHKOS

Madness to my Methods
Feb 28, 2010
OhJohnNo said:
Sounds like he bought his old voice back.

Also, quadruple jump? ...Seriously?
To be fair the jumps are really small.

OT:I thoroughly enjoyed the game. The boss fight's or lack thereof were kinda wtf.

Moeez

May 28, 2009
TheNaut131 said:
God, he hit the boss thing right on the head. I probably could've ignored this but for the love of God, they set them up SOOOOOOO easily.

"Oh hey a mechanical robot in the Hatter's Domain! Let's fi-oh it fell apart..."

"Hey, that Walrus is eating all of them! Let's kick so-wait, we're just leaving?"

"Wow, we're right in front of the Red Queen...who has been trying to kill us since the level started....who actually said "off with her head" at the beginning of the level...WHY AREN'T WE FIGHTING!?!?"

C'mon McGee!
Yeah, but still it was a damn great final boss. A lot of effort was put into that boss, if Spicy Horse was a AAA developer, the other boss battles could've been as awesome.

Neverhoodian

Apr 2, 2008
Meh, the voice didn't really throw me that much. Perhaps it's because it sounded like the voice overs from his early reviews.

I never really understood the desire to make Alice in Wonderland "weird" and "creepy" myself, especially since the original book was strange and more than a little unsettling to begin with.

wolas3214

Mar 30, 2011
Sounded like yahtzee had a cold today. Although the ending laughw as right up my disease ridden alley.

Aug 1, 2010
Did Yahtzee's balls just drop a second time???

OT: Too bad about the game. I was really hoping the game-play would be fun and weird, but as you said, it's just boring.

DrEmo

May 4, 2009
"I can't see Madness Returns making mad returns *limp laughter*"

I have read the above quote several times and I still haven't figured out why I've been laughing at it for the past 2 minutes.

Great episode.

Gaderael

Apr 14, 2009
Funny as usual. I loved the game though. I thought the story was done quite well, and I really enjoyed the platforming. I also thought the combat mechanics were pretty well done, and I was using a keyboard and mouse.

MinishArcticFox

Jan 4, 2010
Hey everyone his voice sounded different!

Oh you mean I didn't have to say it because it was obvious seeing as how almost everyone on the site watches at least one of his videos once a week and that if all I have to say is something blatantly obvious that's been said a dozen times already I shouldn't say it? What a novel concept that I will ignore by adding that I thought the review was unfair to the game despite being funny.

YunikoYokai5

Jun 16, 2010
awww, you sound ill Yatzee XD here, have a Deep Fried Mars Bar fresh from Scotland to make you feel better. If you don't want that, maybe I'll send over a fish supper instead...

But entertaining video XD laughed many a time. Feel better soon!