Zero Punctuation: Alice: Madness Returns

Ohlookit'sMatty

Sep 11, 2008
Did everyone else notice that Yahtzee voice was really different in this one? For the first half of the review I could swear it was someone else

-M

chinangel

Sep 25, 2009
I really really enjoyed this game. o.o

the doll thing did get a bit excessive...until you discover why it'shappening. Then the over-abundance of dolls makes perfect sense. the game even managed to make me very uncomfortable in a few places, which coming from a girl who absolutely adores silent hill, is no easy feat.

THey did leave the door hanging open for a sequel to if they so wished one.

Unia

Jan 15, 2010
Eh, I don't think anybody could talk me out of getting the game at this point. I loved the first one despite the abysmal jumping controls. No boss battles sounds sweet, the Jabberwock squeezed tears of frustration out of me. Then I found out I had to fight it twice T-T

On side note, I know Carroll wrote the stories originally for a real little girl called Alice, but where does the paedophilia spin come from? I hope someone just misinterpreted his use of the word 'love'. Otherwise...I'll never look at the book the same way again.

Genixma

Sep 22, 2009
Loved the entire game...only thing that bugged me was the dialogue. She keeps going on that she had a hand in the family killing but never explains how. And when she comes to the conclusion that she did. It's still not explain. Then she goes back to talking how "there are no centaurs in Oxford" which I never understood I went back and played the original to see if it was from there but nothing. Dialogue aside and letting you believe your about to have a boss fight. I liked it.

Aug 9, 2011
Genixma said:
Loved the entire game...only thing that bugged me was the dialogue. She keeps going on that she had a hand in the family killing but never explains how. And when she comes to the conclusion that she did. It's still not explain. Then she goes back to talking how "there are no centaurs in Oxford" which I never understood I went back and played the original to see if it was from there but nothing. Dialogue aside and letting you believe your about to have a boss fight. I liked it.
If you go back to the first video in this game, there is a short scene where a centaur is pushing a doll in a baby carriage and the doll bursts into flames a moment later. This insinuates that Alice may have thought a centaur was responsible for starting the fire, and after she realizes who really did it, she backs this theory up by discounting her earlier theory of a centaur starting the fire. Of course, the designers really should have explained this in the game, as only someone completely obsessed or completely mental could have figured it out (You can take a guess at which one I am :p).

Taranaich

Jul 30, 2008
Unia said:
On side note, I know Carroll wrote the stories originally for a real little girl called Alice, but where does the paedophilia spin come from? I hope someone just misinterpreted his use of the word 'love'. Otherwise...I'll never look at the book the same way again.
The "Carroll was a paedophile" theory has been largely criticized in the past decade or so, accused of blowing things out of proportion, being based on nothing more than speculation and supposition, and for failing to take into account the very different social mores of the 1860s in general. Generally the consensus is that Carroll loved children in a non-sexual way, but drawing and photographing children in the nude and being so preoccupied with children as opposed to adults tends to put people on alert when viewed with a modern mindset. Even if Carroll did have a sexual attraction to Alice Liddell - a theory which has no actual evidence - girls were allowed to marry without their parent's consent at the age of 12 at the time.

Xman490

Doctorate in Danger
May 29, 2010
The boss fights finished by cutscenes were also in a trailer. To me, that trailer might have even made me want the game less. Trailers with cutscenes should be mostly removed in my opinion, except for debut trailers.

Speaking of too many trailers, I can't wait for your Saints Row the Third review, which will probably mention the dozens of trailers it had. Cherished Memories are more like "Spoiled Moments".