Zero Punctuation: Alpha Protocol

kordo

Jan 8, 2010
'I fucked her brains out!' - FINALLY!!! With that one line alone my faith in Yahtzee is restored. Welcome back friend - you've been missed. Much lols!!!

Deltamon

Jun 26, 2010
Roflmao he sure nailed my exact thoughts on this game, especially since I chose the very same way to play the game through first time, as he did.. And I had the exactly same feelings about that certain boss, and ended up running around in circles away him like a little wuss that my character turned out to be, the moment that he was spotted from stealth and couldn't go back in there.. Stealth + Martial Arts is funny combination tho, and worked pretty well for every other boss fight, even made couple boss unable to even draw their weapons out on me, before they were dead..

The review was great and pretty much spot on aswell, and kept me laughing out loud whole time..

Facade-Intention

May 27, 2009
Hmm... I thought "ponce" was a derogatory term for a homosexual, but Yahtzee uses it as "arsehole".

Anyway, does anyone know who the "suave ponce" head is? It's appeared in like, every video, I can't find it on the internet and it's really killing me.

Loonerinoes

Apr 9, 2009
You know, I never percieved the voice-actor of this game to be providing such a ponce-like performance for Mike Thorton.

And then...I got to perform the ultimate act of trolling within the game and I tend to agree with Yahtzee that he excells at it. :D

***SPOILERS DO NOT WATCH UNLESS YOU'RE DONE WITH THE GAME OR HAVE NO INTENTION OF PLAYING***

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=N2jYR9g85Xw

Maggot Church

Jul 28, 2010
Great Review, funny as always. I actually just got to that boss fight that he talks about. I was ready to rip the disk out of the console and smash it into a million tiny pieces!

Kranay

Jun 9, 2009
Alpha Protocol was an excellent game IMO. Beaten it 9 times in 10 days and it's still got stuff I haven't explored yet - such as the realm of shotgun-heavy play.

Sadly, though, there are so many gamebreaking elements of gameplay which render the enemies useless. Mastering pistol gives you the use of an epic "chain shot" ability, slowing down time to a crawl and enabling you to line up 6 shots at enemies. Destroys regular mobs and bosses alike.

Jon Shannow

Oct 11, 2010
Loonerinoes said:
You know, I never percieved the voice-actor of this game to be providing such a ponce-like performance for Mike Thorton.

And then...I got to perform the ultimate act of trolling within the game and I tend to agree with Yahtzee that he excells at it. :D

***SPOILERS DO NOT WATCH UNLESS YOU'RE DONE WITH THE GAME OR HAVE NO INTENTION OF PLAYING***

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=N2jYR9g85Xw
"What's That in dog years?"
I played it a wee while back and i can honestly say that
at most times i panicked and tapped whatever button my thumb was closest to for the conversation trees and i honestly didn't know which one i had chosen, his voice sounds the same for every choice. Which gives me the theory that he was lobotomised at the beginning of the game.

happyschnapps

Dec 16, 2009
Yahtzee didn't rip this game to shreds as, despite it's flaws, it's actually not a bad game. Kinda like Mass Effect meets James Bond.

Though I do agree the dialogue picker was a tad annoying...

Meatstorm

Jan 4, 2009
I played through alpha protocol. Partially because it was something like deus ex and partailly because Yahtzee took a shot at it. After about 10 hours of playing i must say that i disagree with yahtzee on many occasions. Sure assault rifles were great and sneaking is over powered, but that didn't really ruin it for me.

It is pretty much like deus ex but with less polishment. The main antagonist is indeed a ponce and really annoying at times. I got used to it after a while and learned to always expect the worst when picking my poison (AKA attitude in conversation) Which brings me to the oddities of the conversations. As the worst examples i might use the part where you can answer one of these: SIE?, SIE, professional. It seems they finally founded the dullest man in the entire world and made him do voice acting.

One important aspect that wasn't mentioned in the review was customization as there is quite lots of it, unlike in deus ex. And the story isn't really that complex as you would think, Instead i was hoping at the final mission that half of my allies would betray me and reveal a greater scheme but that never happened.