Zero Punctuation: Amnesia: A Machine For Pigs

Evonisia

Your sinner, in secret
Jun 24, 2013
Well that opinion seems to be the minority, after the game came out all I heard was stuff like it's terrible, lacks pacing and it doesn't live up to the original Amnesia.

I might end up playing it eventually but have no motivation for it, for now I will stick with Amnesia: The Double D.

tangoprime

Renegade Interrupt
May 5, 2011
So, you liked it, and even though it was more of a Dear Esther sight seeing tour of a scary ass environment, it was still a better horror game than Dead Space 3? Sold. I'll have to give it a shot the first time it takes a price dive on steam.

At the very least my fiancé will like it, as she seems to like things that are scary enough to make her pee herself, as yahtzee seems to mention here, and she tends to not finish most 'complicated' games (the first Amnesia, or anything that requires use of a log or journal to know what you're doing, lol), so that'll be a win.

charliesbass

Feb 22, 2012
With my astounding powers of precognition, I can predict the main topic of discussion in this thread:

"WHERE'S GTA5"
"WHY AREN'T YOU REVIEWING GTA5"
"GTA PLZ"
"#BOYCOTT"

PsychedelicDiamond

Wild at Heart and weird on top
Legacy
Jan 30, 2011
charliesbass said:
With my astounding powers of precognition, I can predict the main topic of discussion in this thread:

"WHERE'S GTA5"
"GTA PLZ"
"#BOYCOTT"
By now people should be used to Yahtzee reviewing games usually about two or three weeks after release.

Jan 12, 2012
The linearity might be good in this case, though; nothing kills pacing and tension like wandering around in frustration for 15 minutes trying to find the next macguffin to move the story along. If the goal of a horror game is to terrify you, it sounds like MoP does a great job.

ImBigBob

Dec 24, 2008
I tried the first Amnesia and couldn't get into it. Trying to solve a puzzle when it's really dark and you're running out of lantern oil and you can't find the right door to enter isn't scary, it's just frustrating. All the tension gets sucked out when you're just running around in circles going "ugh, where's the next room? I'm lost." A little of that is okay, but when I used up all my oil trying to find the exit, I just gave up. So I'm glad they ripped out the sanity meter for this one.

Lack of inventory has gotta be annoying, though.

Evonisia

Your sinner, in secret
Jun 24, 2013
charliesbass said:

"WHERE'S GTA5"
"GTA PLZ"
"#BOYCOTT"
Yeah that's how this will go, despite the fact that GTA V has been out for a week. Same thing happened for The Last of Us.

Something Amyss

Aswyng and Amyss
Dec 3, 2008
Evonisia said:
Well that opinion seems to be the minority, after the game came out all I heard was stuff like it's terrible, lacks pacing and it doesn't live up to the original Amnesia.

I might end up playing it eventually but have no motivation for it, for now I will stick with Amnesia: The Double D.
I'm pretty sure he just said it didn't live up to the original, complained about the pacing (and atmosphere), etc. The only piece of the stated opinion then, that's minority, is it not being terrible. Even that's not exactly high praise.

Kurt Cristal

Mar 31, 2010
ImBigBob said:
I tried the first Amnesia and couldn't get into it. Trying to solve a puzzle when it's really dark and you're running out of lantern oil and you can't find the right door to enter isn't scary, it's just frustrating. All the tension gets sucked out when you're just running around in circles going "ugh, where's the next room? I'm lost." A little of that is okay, but when I used up all my oil trying to find the exit, I just gave up. So I'm glad they ripped out the sanity meter for this one.

Lack of inventory has gotta be annoying, though.
This here is why I plan on playing the sequel. I gave up out of frustration over fear for the same reason. I just about had it when I got the the flooded room section. You're going to throw platforming into this game? Bye.

Loved the annoyance with the lack of subtlety. And the Revelations gag.

Mydnyght

Feb 17, 2010
Don't make beef casserole in teapots, huh?
So what's the over/under for someone actually doing that and putting it on YouTube?

Canadamus Prime

Robot in Disguise
Jun 17, 2009
So.... did you like it? I'm a little unclear on that. I can usually tell, but on this one I'm a little unclear.
PsychedelicDiamond said:
charliesbass said:

"WHERE'S GTA5"
"GTA PLZ"
"#BOYCOTT"
By now people should be used to Yahtzee reviewing games usually about two or three weeks after release.
You'd think so, wouldn't you?

Buccura

Aug 13, 2009
It feels strange for Yahtzee to seemingly like a game more than I did. Personally Amnesia: AMFP is my biggest disappointment this year.

SquidVicious

Apr 20, 2011
Country
United States
It's a shame because I think the game really would have been a little more scary had they kept the lantern oil and tinderboxes from The Dark Descent. While I never actually ran out of light sources in The Dark Descent the fact that I could if I lingered too long always kept me focused on moving forward despite every fiber of my being telling me not to. While I quite enjoyed the story of A Machine For Pigs, thechineseroom cut down so much gameplay that I really didn't find myself reveling in the game like I had been anticipating since the damn thing was announced in 2011. I kind of hope someone mods in limited resources later down the line so I can go at it again.

Johnny Novgorod

Bebop Man
Legacy
Feb 9, 2012
canadamus_prime said:
So.... did you like it? I'm a little unclear on that. I can usually tell, but on this one I'm a little unclear.
The way I interpreted was that he liked it. He stressed the fact that it's scary, which is 50% of a horror game's job. And commented positively on the lack of sanity meter and the set design. The last bit about not feeling in any danger once you're simply caught by the enemies as opposed to butchered... I guess it undermines some of the positive, but doesn't totally turn it into a negative.

AngryBritishAce

Feb 19, 2010
I admit this game doesn't hold a candle to The Dark Decent, but why this game gets so much hate mystifies me. I loved it, and yes, it wasn't "gamey" or as scary as the predecessor, but I felt that it was at least a good game by itself, at most a worthy enough sequel. And I'm gonna be honest, I preferred the Machine to the dark corridors of Brennenburg Castle; as Yahtzee said, the whole machine did feel like this groaning monster itself.