Zero Punctuation: Amnesia: The Dark Descent

SweetxVicious

Aug 2, 2010
"Abloogy woogy woo"....love it. Also I love the reaction to a monster coming after you for "messing up his chair." That's definitely what my train of thought was whenever something came after me.
I'm so glad Yahtzee decided to review this; I was really curious as to his opinion on Amnesia. I agree with him on the fact that recent horror games just haven't been that scary latey...maybe towards the beginning of the game, yes, but once you acquire enough weapons to outfit a small army, it just loses its terrifying feel.
Definitely agree with the lack of variety in the areas that you explore in the game; it does get a little old after a while, but that's when the game throws the horror at you to mix it up a bit. I'm happy that the game actually managed to scare Yahtzee, something I thought was a hard task indeed. All in all, great review.

Sovvolf

Mar 23, 2009
Ba'h this computer would probably blow up before running such a game which is a big shame as I've heard from quite a lot of people that it's a recommend. Being a indie developed ga,e, I'm doubting it's going to have a full release on both the consoles and the P.C so I'm missing out on this one it would seem.

crudus said:
I think you should do more indie games. Not only does it promote good indie games and encourage mroe of them to be made, but it shows us what is a good game. It is nice to get away from main stream to show it doesn't need to me mainstream to be good (according to you the opposite is almost true).
I think the big problem here is that, while this rare indy game is good. I imagine that a quite few are shite, at least by Yahtzee's standard and he'd end up tearing them apart in a review. Prompting the creators to go crying under a bed sheet.

Which could be disastrous to up and coming indy developer. Maybe even stop their career early.

Gabanuka

Oct 1, 2009
Lol'd at the look inside your mind, might of picked it up if I wasnt saveing for a NES.

JokerCrowe

Nov 12, 2009
"OH pissing blimey there's jam coming out of the Walls!" XD

My thought process when playing the demo was something like: "Huh I have amnesia, how original. Well not much to do here. Ok you open doors by moving the mouse? That's pretty neat, hmm, not very scary so far. I think I'll walk into this room. Huh a broom, can I set it on fire? No? that's weird. Well, better go upstairs. Let's just walk around this corner and... footsteps? That's not good! I think I'll stop playing now."

I seriously couldn't finish the f**king DEMO that's how scary I thought it was. I'm impressed at the games scaryness, but I'm not gonna buy it. It's too good at it's job.

therandombear

Elite Member
Sep 28, 2009
Good review and a Boogly Woogly Woo to you too, but this is a game I won't get.

I watched the trailer on steam and that was scary enough, I am super cereal about that.

And I got really angre first time I played Eternal Darkness and screen went black and told you your save files were corrupt and started deleting, geez I was angry...and felt quite dumb when the screen returned to normal and I had just thrown the GC controller in the couch...

JPH330

Blogger Person
Jan 31, 2010
Whoa, whoa, a positive review for a new horror game?

Well damn, this might be the next game I buy. Not gonna buy a game for now, since I just recently bought a whole bunch.

Kermi

Elite Member
Nov 7, 2007
Well, I was expecting Halo Reach and I am a fanboy so mission accomplished, Yahtzee. Consider me baited, fucker.

A decent review for a game I've never heard of from a studio I've never heard of (granted there's plenty I haven't heard of, I'm just making the point - this is the first review in a long time where I've had no frame of reference whatsoever) but I don't see myself booting up Steam to pick it up. Not when the next time I boot up Steam and buy something I will probably wake up 40 hours later to find everything in a 5 foot radius covered in Cheetos dust and empty Pepsi cans, hexagons permanently scored into my retinas.

PumpItUp

Sep 27, 2008
I think this is the first time we've ever heard Yahtzee have a freakout like that.

"Great pissing blimey there's jam coming out of the wohls!"

tklivory

Oct 20, 2008
Tipsy Giant said:
Wicked, anyone know if it is available for macs through steam too?
Yup, Steam sells for Mac and PC. If you buy direct from amnesiagame.com, it is available for Mac, PC, and Linux.

Seriously, just go buy this game. :)

EDIT: Oh, yeah, and don't forget that there are also Editors available for the game. If you're into that kind of thing, it makes a great game even more replayable and value for the money. :)

Demodeus

Sep 20, 2010
Whaaaa run run run run! I'm sorry I didn't meant to mess your chairs up, OH PISSING BLIMEY THERE'S JAM COMING OUT OF THE WALLS!!
At that point I stopped the review to roll myself all over the room laughing.
Okay, continue now. :p

tklivory

Oct 20, 2008
Derek_the_Dodo said:
Looks like it's time for me to get steam
For those people out there who don't like Steam, you can also get it from the sources listed at http://www.amnesiagame.com/#buy.

Don't work for 'em or anything, just really like the game. :)