Zero Punctuation: Assassin's Creed 3

Sep 8, 2008
why the american revolution? seriously, why? WHY!? there are plenty of historical periods ripe for sneaky freerunning murder, or not-so-sneaky murder, the cold war (all the fancy gadgets supervillians on both sides and intrigue you can think of and then some with only teensy historical tweaks needed to make it murderific-and solve the mystery of who really killed JFK (you)), a ninja in... really any historical period of japan (wasnt this hinted at in the thing at the end of the first game? that and aztecs?) ancient egypt/greece(egypt AND greece?)/rome/anywhere with distinctive architecture, cities, and lots of murder?

Justin Harris

Mar 24, 2010
He made it to Assassins creed 3!!! Further than me! I gave up 1/2 way through the first assassination mission in Assassins Creed 1 cause... Well hell. The game is boring. Not much of a game if it's boring. So I traded it in.

Britisheagle

May 21, 2009
Disappointed that Yahtzee has gone off the Assassins Creeed franchise, he seemed to really enjoy the earlier games.

I am yet to play it but have every intention to do so! Great review regardless

Sep 24, 2008
I'm glad someone else pointed out one fact.

Ubisoft montreal and Quebec developed the game. Ubisoft Published it which resides in France.

Oh, I know. It's fun to jump on America because why not! It's America. Also, look into your own nation's closets before answering that but... Yeah, we didn't do this. It's nice that they focused on us. The French Revolution does sound more interesting. Hell, Crank it up to Eleven in four and make it a Vietnamese man taking out the Viet cong. That would be awesome. One man guerrilla warfare diving from trees and climbing them to take out the Cong? Nice.

But once again. Quebec and France. Not us.

userwhoquitthesite

Jul 23, 2009
GenGenners said:
AssCreed 3: Faff-fall.

OT: Why is money always an issue in these games? Yahtzee mentions it in every review.
Come on Ubisoft >_>
They're hoping that by putting it in the game, you'll sympathize with them

Buizel91

Autobot
Aug 25, 2008
Cardbird said:
Funnily enough, AC3 is my top game of the year..I guess some people don't see what I do.
Wouldn't say it's my top game (that spot so far is taken by Halo 4) However it's up there with Transformers Fall Of Cybertron, Pokemon B2, and Most Wanted. Sure you end up with loads of money during the game, but that's the same with the last 3 instalments, but unlike the others i haven't found one glitch/bug at all, and Connor jumps EXACTLY where i want him to, unlike Ezio ¬_¬

AgentLampshade

Nov 9, 2009
The Last Parade said:
I think AC1 was about as bad as this, Ezios trilogy was the best
I dunno, Revelations was pretty poor. II and Brotherhood are my highlights of the franchise, despite my initial hesitation toward Brotherhood.

I just wished we could've played through the game as Haytham. He seemed legitimately interesting.

Is it just me that thinks that playing as an Assassin-turned-Templar would be a nice way to show off another side of the conflict, thus opening up the universe and making players seriously think about where THEIR allegiance lies.

xqxm

Oct 17, 2008
The reason that I personally didn't like AC3 as much as say, AC1, 2 or Brotherhood, was that the main character was not in the least bit likable.

Connor, that is. Haytham was fucking awesome, and should they have made the game about him, I would have found it immensively more satisfying to play.

Connor walks around self-righteously murdering every person that are even remotely connected to templars or once exchanged a handshake with someone who at some point said something bad about "his people". That's all there is to it. He's unlikable, overly aggressive, vindictive, illogical and possibly some sort of supremacist.

This all came to a head near the ending (spoilers), when he spends a good part of the game attempting to murder Charles Lee, almost succeeding, tracking him to his home braving life-threatening injuries, and just straight up stabbing the dude in the chest who looked like he'd keel over from damage sustained earlier within the hour.

And for what? Because he was mean to Connor when he was like ten years old. He also stabbed his own father in the neck when he tried to stop him from murdering Lee.

Revelations had a problem like this, just not as bad. I never knew in Revelations why I was supporting Suleiman, one of the most brutal emperors in recorded history, why "Byzantine" seemed to be a synonym of "Templar", or why I even cared anymore. In AC3, the only constant is that Connor HATES templars, for no apparant reason other than that Achilles told him to.

Gameplay is allright, though.

The Last Parade

Apr 24, 2009
AgentLampshade said:
The Last Parade said:
I think AC1 was about as bad as this, Ezios trilogy was the best
I dunno, Revelations was pretty poor. II and Brotherhood are my highlights of the franchise, despite my initial hesitation toward Brotherhood.

I just wished we could've played through the game as Haytham. He seemed legitimately interesting.

Is it just me that thinks that playing as an Assassin-turned-Templar would be a nice way to show off another side of the conflict, thus opening up the universe and making players seriously think about where THEIR allegiance lies.
I think that besides the cave city Revelation beats brotherhood, I liked the Altiar stuff and the gameplay, AC2 is still my favourite

Abedeus

Sep 14, 2008
Weird, my friend who played all previous games thinks this one is better than the last two (AC2 is still best, but AC3 holds its ground just fine).

Guess I'll have to shoot my way through the new Hitman, then give AC3 a go.

Extragorey

Dec 24, 2010
Gotta say, I'm loving this game so far. The hunting system is amazing and the combat is as exciting as ever. Even more exciting, because it seems like you can have literally dozens of guards attacking you at once, where previous AC games would only have half a dozen, if that.

But the best thing in it for me so far is the political commentary - namely, by Shaun, the present-day cynical British guy. Funny that.
But speaking as an Australian, I find his comments regarding the irony of America's independence as it stands in contrast to real-life modern political campaigns to be very insightful, and also very revolutionary (pardon the pun).
For example, Shaun makes the point that America's politicians (in real life) don't really care what the founding fathers would have thought about a given issue, rather, "They just want to know how they can bend old words to achieve modern goals."
Perhaps a tad obvious, but it's dialogue like that that makes the game all the more interesting in a philosophical sense, transcending the nature of most games that revolve around simple stabbing.

And I'm Australian... Imagine how interesting an American would find it. ;)

On a side note, the codex entries are a shining example of how a codex should be written. Humour makes everything better. :)

EDIT: Oh, and regarding Connor, yeah, he's hopelessly naive in his pursuit of freedom for all mankind. But it does provide the opportunity to address a lot of moral ambiguities, which is great.