Zero Punctuation: Awards for 2008

asam92

Oct 26, 2008
this ep was good but Far Cry 2 or GOW2 would have been good as well. I enjoyed Far Cry immensely so seeing what yahtzee thinks will be really good

Enigmers

Dec 14, 2008
thermo1 said:
EA will probably make itself a trophy!
Yes, a "Congratulations on getting half a billion dollars in debt, you idiot" award. And possibly the "Most backfired anti-piracy plan ever" award.

VoleurdeThym

Jan 1, 2009
Saints Row 2? Game of the Year?
My God.
What does this say about the past year of video games, eh?

(He better be playing a game as we speak, a proper review would be nice.)

MackB

Jan 10, 2009
Why on earth were people banned for saying things like

"Was looking forward to this for a while now!"
and
"Thanks Yathzee! :) Makes me wish that the Oscars gave out awards like this.
Hope everyone had a nice 2008."

at the beginning of the thread?

GameForALiving

Jan 10, 2009
I'm actually quite pleased with these "awards", because it's given me some insight as to what I should and shouldn't be looking for, and what I should rent before I actually buy to see if I would even think of playing the game again.

Saint's Row 2 was a surprising choice from Yahtzee, though, however, I'm not that surprised.

Anton P. Nym

Sep 18, 2007
MackB said:
Why on earth were people banned for saying things like

"Was looking forward to this for a while now!"
and
"Thanks Yathzee! :) Makes me wish that the Oscars gave out awards like this.
Hope everyone had a nice 2008."

at the beginning of the thread?
Answered already. [http://www.escapistmagazine.com/forums/jump/6.82799.1141676]

-- Steve

Galletea

Inexplicably Awesome
Sep 27, 2008
Not that I particularly care what reviewers say, I'm somewhat intrigued as to why MGS4 was his choice there, considering the gamut of tripe on offer. So you're penalising a game for tying up the loose ends neatly? Well, erm, surely there were worse offences committed last year. But I guess there's no fun in being obvious.

fakereptile

Jan 10, 2009
YOU BASTARD.. you spoiled POP for me. I had just started playing it and I was really enjoying it. until you decided that to stick your dick in it. So just because you didnt enjoy it you decided spoil for rest of us. I thought telling you this would make feel better but it doesnt. Im not gonna watch your vids anymore, it might not matter to you but I will take solice in the fact that YOU WILLL step on the wrong toes one day and your negative rants will only work for a finite amount time before you run out of ideas or people get bored or frustated. and for gods sake please put spoiler warnings. Amatuer!!!

TheButtonMashEffect

Jan 10, 2009
I find that Yahtzee does fail to review big games, games that most people have.

I think he likes to go for games he knows he is going to be able to either destroy or give a decent review or games that not everyone has. I don't think he would be able to review games like Gears of war 2 and Little big planet as it would be hard for him to comment:

1. Because he obviously hates main stream games and hates games everyone else is playing and going on about, so in this case with gears of war he would say something bad just to compensate for the loathing he has for people and constant ramblings about big title games.

2. We cannot deny the fact that Gears of war 2 and little big planet and other such games are great games! And near to most people would enjoy the games, so Yahtzee would have to say something obviously good about the game. Because denying what you really think of a game is kind of defating the whole object of being a game critic.

So i think thats why games like saints row 2 takes his game of the year. Nobody can argue because most people do not have the game. But if it had been a game like Metal gear solid 4 or Gears of war 2 many people would then be complaining saying that he is wrong and another game should have won.

Then again i could be completely wrong :p

likalaruku

Nov 29, 2008
mitman93 said:
Virgil said:
mitman93 said:
Please excuse me for this noobish question (I'm a noob to these forums) but why did the first two posts get banned? I read the sticky but still could not find one thing wrong with both of the posts. Can someone please answer me so I do not make the same error. Thanks! (Please don't ban me for this!)
We ban for "first posting" here, even if you don't say "first post". Watch the video or read the article before posting a comment and you've got nothing to worry about.
Ahhh I see. Thanks, that cleared things up for me. How exactly do you know if the person watched the video or read the article?
That's retarded. Let's ban the 25th, 50th, & 100th poster as well, just for shits & giggles.

fallen1

Dec 22, 2008
Failhammer said:
fallen1 said:
Just so you know, I think you mis quoted what I had actually said about EA.
I must have accidentally deleted something while posting. Sorry about that.
It is ok i just wanted to make sure we were cool with it.

jemborg

Oct 10, 2008
To all those that complain about the clip or awards shows not being a proper review episode... let the guy have a holiday occasionally. Even I don't expect the excellent TV review show "Good Game" to play all year, for instance. You're bloody lucky to have Zero Punctuation in the first place. (Yes, I can say "bloody" because I am an Aussie who grew up saying it).

You whinging spoilt brats.

Happy New Year everyone (especially Ben C).

MackB

Jan 10, 2009
likalaruku said:
mitman93 said:
Virgil said:
mitman93 said:
Please excuse me for this noobish question but why did the first two posts get banned?
We ban for "first posting" here, even if you don't say "first post". Watch the video or read the article before posting a comment and you've got nothing to worry about.
Ahhh I see. Thanks, that cleared things up for me. How exactly do you know if the person watched the video or read the article?
That's retarded. Let's ban the 25th, 50th, & 100th poster as well, just for shits & giggles.

Yeah I thought its kind of wierd too, seems to be any posts made within the first 5 minutes before they have a chance to view the video though

Blue Sonnet

May 6, 2008
MackB said:
likalaruku said:
mitman93 said:
Virgil said:
mitman93 said:
...Snip...

Yeah I thought its kind of wierd too, seems to be any posts made within the first 5 minutes before they have a chance to view the video though
No, those are the rules. You can't comment on a video that is 3 or 4 mins long only 2 minutes after posting. That means that you haven't actually watched the video you are supposed to be commenting on.

It has been the same since the reviews came here, so it's not as if it should be a surprise.

KnThrak

Jan 11, 2009
An awesome episode IMO, loved the award-names. Now I'm thinking of designing little physical awards fitting each one of them.

Anyways, the new flashplayer is really bad though. Firefox 3 (newest) on WinXP here, and it's volume was waaaaaaaay too low and when you paus it the play-arrow disallows you from reading text on the paused screen.

Failhammer

Dec 30, 2008
jemborg said:
To all those that complain about the clip or awards shows not being a proper review episode... let the guy have a holiday occasionally. Even I don't expect the excellent TV review show "Good Game" to play all year, for instance. You're bloody lucky to have Zero Punctuation in the first place. (Yes, I can say "bloody" because I am an Aussie who grew up saying it).

You whinging spoilt brats.

Happy New Year everyone (especially Ben C).
Exactly.

Alex the Southerner

Jan 11, 2009
Christ, you think you people could ***** and moan about the Zero Punctuation theme song anymore?

Sounds alright to me. Cry sum moar.