Zero Punctuation: Awards for 2008

Therumancer

Citation Needed
Nov 28, 2007
Hmmm,

Well I was kind of hoping he'd do something like this. I actually suggested it in my response to the highlights reel, and I thought it was pretty good. Of course my idea was for something to do instead of a highlights reel. :)

At any rate, I don't agree with Yathzee on all things, but I also loved Saint's Row 2, it being one of the games I played non-stop all the way through to the end. GTA 4 didn't hold my attention that long. I do however tend to think that someone should take the ideas from both of these games, polish them, and smack them together. I for example liked a bit of the "filler" from GTA 4 such as the TV shows and such, and found myself wishing that Saint's Row 2 had a bit more of that kind of eye candy in it (though not at tne expense of gamability).

Also the way they set up the social elements with GTA 4 needed to be blasted. It started as a neat idea, but turned rapidly into an annoyance. I do however see the potential for something like that to be mixed with SR "Homies" providing they can liven it up a bit... and of course set it up so they don't call you. When your wandering around with a knife, looking for collectibles, and murdering passing pedestrians for a bit of extra pocket change, nothing is more jarring than "Hey, let's go on a date to the comedy club" and having to drop your exploration, and then come back afterwards. :p

-

I think Yahtzee might be being a bit too hard on the horror genere. Coming up with something truely unique (in any media) today is tricky. Add to this increased concerns about ratings even in the US, and then even tighter regulations in places like Australia if you want an international release, and well... it gets tricky.

The thing is that we've seen so many great horror games over a period of time, that almost everything seems like a retread. Also being adventure games, the idea is for the player character to ultimatly survive, so everything must be beatable/avoidable. Depending on which you go for, it rapidly turns into a "jog through everything" game, or a slaughter fest.

I see the potential to make some really intense games none the less, but the big question is not just whether they can be made, but whether anything better than what we're seeing will be allowed by censors.

Still, I've sort of had my eyes on "Fatal Frame Zero". While another sequel from a long running franchise series, I'm hoping it will be a more worthy game than most of what we saw in 2008.

>>>----Therumancer--->

Hamster at Dawn

It's Hazard Time!
Mar 19, 2008
It wasn't an actual review which was a shame but at least now I know that Yahtzee is planning on reviewing GoW2 and *fingers crossed* LBP. I was disappointed before by the lack of these reviews.

ultimasupersaiyan

Dec 9, 2008
2008 really seemed like a crap year in gaming, especially through Yahtzee's eye. I found a couple of games last year I like which Yahtzee didn't review... mainly because they're JRPG's and he hates them as much as I hate westren RPGs. I guess it's all about opinions and I agree with Saint's Row 2 being best of 2008 because even though everywhere else said MGS4, I found the game to be rather poor in comparison to the older ones. Somehow I get the feeling that 2009 may not be much different(outside of Street Fighter IV) because again it look like another year of sequels, clones and hopefully the ultimate questions answered, which are when will Final Fantasy XIII be released so we can sit in our seats properly? and will a new innovative game that doesn't fall short at the finish line be released? Then again it's all about taste and personal opinions.

Also I hope that 2009 brings Yahtzee a new game in his top 5 because if a new game makes it in his top 5 you know it's got to be one of the best.

Jandau

Smug Platypus
Dec 19, 2008
Mostly right on the money, especially about MGS4 and the horror genre. Actually makes me want to go out and try Saint's Row 2 despite the fact I am allergic to GTA 3&4. I am a bit sad about there being no review this week, but what the heck, it was a decent laugh.

P.S. Drop the theme song and go back to handpicked songs for every episode... ;)

Chieffw

Aug 18, 2008
I found this video lacking in momentum and fun. Flow got broken in 200000000000000000.... parts with the sickening cracks of a person popping his finger joints....

Yahtzee is loosing it :( Less Game Damage and more Zero Punctuation in 2009 PLEASE!!!

mark_n_b

Mar 24, 2008
fish food carl said:
LesIsMore said:
Was looking forward to this for a while now!
I bloody love it when Yahtzee doesn't review a game, but those who would post "FIRST!!!!!1" post that they were waiting for it. Same thing happened with the Clip-show.

Some speedy bannage is most definitely required to weed out the idiots.
I agree and think perma / IP bans need to be handed out for these, there has been some improvement since the "FIRST!!!!!!!!!!!!!!1 posters" have been receiving week long bans to prevent them from doing it again the week after, and I know there's always going to be some new guy trying to get in there first, but do we really need these guys around taking up kilobytes of valuable server space, it's just not worth it in my opinion.

t3h m3ss1ah

Aug 13, 2008
He whines and moans that there were no original titles this year but he fails to mention one of the most innovative console titles in years... LittleBigPlanet, it's like he's not allowed to mention it or something

Samoftherocks

Oct 4, 2008
Therumancer said:
Hmmm,

Still, I've sort of had my eyes on "Fatal Frame Zero". While another sequel from a long running franchise series, I'm hoping it will be a more worthy game than most of what we saw in 2008.

>>>----Therumancer--->
Considering the state of sequels in this day and age, I fear for the release of anything new from the Fatal Frame title barn. Fatal Frame has to be one of the most overlooked and underrated series in the genre, and it would be a shame to see it get all RE4'd like Silent Hill did (not that RE4 was bad, just that it was done once and that felt like enough). Unless Zero is the best in the series, it will fall into obscurity after a brief lashing by those who know about and choose to snark on games thus driving it's mass potential into the ground.

HadesWTF

Jun 4, 2008
I lol'd.

Do you find it creepy that people who comment your videos try to emulate the way you talk by using words like "Bloody" your ever so famous references to "tits" etc? Especially knowing most of them are probably very, very American. Like me.

Oh in case anyones cares My GOTY - Fallout 3 (My love for Bethesda is almost growing into fanboyism, but I still admit when they do something wrong, Fallout 3 however, was very right)and Left4Dead was easily runner up just for the sheer fun factor.

steeple

Death by tray it shall be
Dec 2, 2008
nice video...

i can bet that next year far cry 2 will be in the award for "the most grinding game"

and im pretty disapointed he only had one good award (its ZP what should i expect?) and that fallout 3 didint win it.... oh well always next year

MB202

Sep 14, 2008
Wow, you're giving your own award ceremonies? Can we expect one next year?

I kind of agree that I, along with many others, do have a hard time grasping whether or not your like a game, Yahtzee, but that's partly because you talk to fast at first, but I do watch your reviews several times so I eventually get it.

Also, you still have Mother 3 in mind for this year, right?

drgnrbrn316

Jan 7, 2009
I actually don't mind the award show, though I think the music he used for the GDC show would have worked better for an awards show.

I am a little disappointed that it doesn't look like Little Big Planet is even in his queue for next year, as I wouldn't mind hearing what he had to say on the subject.

And I thought MGS4 maintained the stealth element pretty well

ascagnel

Dec 24, 2008
Finally, someone called out GTA4. I kind of wish there was a comparison between the PC version of GTA4 and STALKER: Clear Sky for the buggiest game of the year, but I think GTA4 would win that ward for, you know, not working at all.

I would have given GOTY (out of all his reviews) to Painkiller, though. They may not be the best games but they're still awesome and cathartic fun.

51gunner

Jun 12, 2008
Well, it got more laughs out of me than some things, but this is probably one of my least favorite zero punctuations. I'm looking for reviews of games, so anything that isn't a game review is starting out on the wrong foot for me.

Also, I really liked Mirror's Edge and his constant bashing at it weakens my faith in his reviews. Typically I found them to be largely accurate and reflective of what I would think, but because we're at complete opposites of opinion I don't know if i can trust him any more. :(

fallen1

Dec 22, 2008
Mythbhavd said:
Oh good grief. I can't someone is already complaining. I had a lot of fun with this video and loved the titles for the awards. Way to go Saint's Row!

Um, one last thing, what was with the retarded video at the end?

"Thou shalt not attach retarded videos to the end of Zero Punctuation, unless said video is by Yahtzee." Reviews 3:28
Even though it was not a review of a game, I still think that it was funny. The titles for the awards were entertaining in themselves. If all you want to see is game reviews and all thats cool too, but try and realize that he does do some other stuff every once in a while to break the flow of the same thing week after week. Sometimes that break up in the middle is nice and then when the next week comes it will be back to reviews.