Zero Punctuation: Awards for 2008

Lt. Sera

Apr 22, 2008
Virgil said:
Lt. Sera said:
200, Stream not found, NetStream.Play.StreamNotFound, clip: '[Clip] '486''
It looks like the CDN that Castfire is using to host the videos is having DNS resolution problems in the UK, Ireland, and a few other northern European areas. We're letting them know about it now and hopefully it'll be fixed very soon.

In the meantime, you might want to see if OpenDNS [https://www.opendns.com/smb/start/computer/] (or something similar) will fix the problem for you.
It seems to be working quite nicely now, though thanks for the suggestion about opendns, I'll keep that one in mind should it happen again.

Ormick

Jan 7, 2009
I was thinking to myself "Where's Portal?" Until I remembered that that was released in 2007. Liked it.

SuckItNC

Jan 7, 2009
Haha, nice one Yahtzee.

However, in the ones you haven't reviewed you could add 'Call of Duty: World At War.'

I can think alot of that game that you could poke fun :D

Btw, I'm not trying to tell you how to do your job :p

shiajun

Jun 12, 2008
The FlowPLayer seemed to change but my problem remains. The video will never load if I use Firefox 3, yet if I open the page in IE7 the video loads perfectly and without a hitch. I just don't understand what is going on, specially since somehow here has the same problem, only the complete opposite. IE7 doesn't work, Firefox does.

I take a pause at Tomb Raider Underworld. I know it's a sequel with a huge number on its side, but I actually found it much more engrossing and interesting than Legend and Anniversary. Sure, it's not doing anything truly original, but it finally did what CD sent out with the other games correctly. I know however that Yahtzee would tear it to pieces and hate it, but I really liked the game.

Sisyphus0

Sep 10, 2008
While I respect your opinion, and almost fully disagree with it, I can't understand how you gave saint's row 2 credit for anything. I also don't understand why you constantly bash games for attempting gritty realism. I hate colourful cheery games with rainbows and happy endings. It's bad enough that almost every movie is ruined with a happy ending, games shouldn't have to suffer such cheap fairytale endings either.

ikari_matt

Aug 19, 2008
i miss when he was riping other peoples music in his reviews xD yet i liked the sarcastic award show ;)

Eggplant

Nov 11, 2008
Sisyphus0 said:
While I respect your opinion, and almost fully disagree with it, I can't understand how you gave saint's row 2 credit for anything. I also don't understand why you constantly bash games for attempting gritty realism. I hate colourful cheery games with rainbows and happy endings. It's bad enough that almost every movie is ruined with a happy ending, games shouldn't have to suffer such cheap fairytale endings either.

You sound emo.

In other news I am glad MGS4 won that award. It really deserved it.
congrats Hideo Kojima for destroying a wonderful series, and making me go out a buy a ps3 so i could see it.

Proto Cloud

Jun 25, 2008
GodOfTongs said:
I've never really understood how everyone can go along with this. Ok, Yahtzee is just as funny as ever, but both GTA4 and MGS4 are great games.

MGS4

IGN 10
GameSpot 10
GameTrailers 9.3

GTA4
IGN 10
GameSpot 10
GameTrailers 9.8

His videos are great but how can you take his opinion seriously. He disagrees with absolutely everyone. His nomination for worst game of the year got almost strait 10's down the line. Ridiculous.
But it is an opinion nonetheless...I know some news outlets that absolutely hate Fallout 3, GTA IV, MGS4, LBP, and all the big darlings. I know I absolutely hate GTAIV and GOW1, regardless of the accolades they've been given.

Different strokes for different folks is the moral of the story. (For a good example look up Rotten Tomatoes and see the 5% of the people that didn't like The Dark Knight)

photoboy

Jan 8, 2009
At last! A Game of the Year award that isn't GTAIV! And even better than that, the far more fun and deserving Saint's Row 2 is the game that won it! I'm actually on my second run through of SR2 at the moment and spraying people's houses with shit is still great fun. Great work Yahtzee!

James Raynor

Sep 3, 2008
GodOfTongs said:
I've never really understood how everyone can go along with this. Ok, Yahtzee is just as funny as ever, but both GTA4 and MGS4 are great games.

MGS4

IGN 10
GameSpot 10
GameTrailers 9.3

GTA4
IGN 10
GameSpot 10
GameTrailers 9.8

His videos are great but how can you take his opinion seriously. He disagrees with absolutely everyone. His nomination for worst game of the year got almost strait 10's down the line. Ridiculous.

Because reviewers can be paid to give good reviews.

ElArabDeMagnifico

Dec 20, 2007
If anything fucked up "Stealth" - it was Assassin's Creed, not MGS4, but then again, I thought this was funny so who gives a shit?

Knight Templar

Moved on
Dec 29, 2007
First = Ban

Seeing the first few posts get a ban never get old for me, just like watching ZP reviews, thats right it was an award, still said review though.

alf1985

Oct 7, 2008
They should pay this dude alot more than they do. And I don't even know how much they pay. He is just that damn funny.

antipunt

Jan 3, 2009
HOORAY YATZHEE. I heard 'awards of 2008' and was not expecting it to be 'bashing' games instead of praising them...I should've known better

it's much more entertaining this way =D

mathias53

Mar 25, 2008
CrafterMan said:
mathias53 said:
Cut out these fucking award shows and clip shows. I came here to see Yahtzee review a video game and thats what i want to bloody see.
Because Yahtzee owes you anything? You pay copious amounts of money to see him every week?

Fanboys grr
wait how does my comment make me a fanboy?

mitman93

Jan 8, 2009
Please excuse me for this noobish question (I'm a noob to these forums) but why did the first two posts get banned? I read the sticky but still could not find one thing wrong with both of the posts. Can someone please answer me so I do not make the same error. Thanks! (Please don't ban me for this!)

Virgil

#virgil { display:none; }
Legacy
Jun 13, 2002
mitman93 said:
Please excuse me for this noobish question (I'm a noob to these forums) but why did the first two posts get banned? I read the sticky but still could not find one thing wrong with both of the posts. Can someone please answer me so I do not make the same error. Thanks! (Please don't ban me for this!)
We ban for "first posting" here, even if you don't say "first post". Watch the video or read the article before posting a comment and you've got nothing to worry about.

mitman93

Jan 8, 2009
Virgil said:
mitman93 said:
We ban for "first posting" here, even if you don't say "first post". Watch the video or read the article before posting a comment and you've got nothing to worry about.
Ahhh I see. Thanks, that cleared things up for me. How exactly do you know if the person watched the video or read the article?