Zero Punctuation: Batman: Arkham City

Tireseas_v1legacy

Plop plop plop
Sep 28, 2009
Seriously, you'd think if Gotham had the money to wall off a section of the city for a giant prison complex, they would have the money for some basic crime prevention programs.

Yearlongjester

Feb 14, 2010
I'm kinda glad I got Arkham City before this review, most of the time I've picked up a game after the video because that was the first time I heard about it or wasn't sure about it and wanted someone else to give me an opinion (Deus Ex: Human Revolutions!) But I honestly am glad, I got to play the game and come up with my own thoughts and opinions completely free of external influence.

Yeah that might seem a bit silly but when your friend tells you the new game you got is shit, you start to look for all the flaws and stop enjoying the moment. Sir Croshaw and I agreed on a few points, I feel strange especially didn't get enough screen-time but other than that I thought it was damn good.

Bascially, I think Skyrim's going to have a prime contender for my personal game of the year :)

Dutch 924

Making the impossible happen!
Dec 8, 2010
Is it just me or was this video uploaded an hour early? Must've been the daylight savings

unwesen

May 16, 2009
Hmm.

I did some of the side missions during the main story line, but finished most afterwards. Especially the one with the not-so-mysterious watcher is supposedly unavailable after the main story line, but I finished it afterwards anyway. I started it during because I accidentally ran into him. Seems that quitting the game and re-loading it pops the dude up in the places he's supposed to be, or something to that effect.

So I'm not entirely sure who is making this particular complaint and why they're making it.

May 29, 2011
Dr_Steve_Brule said:
What the
Leave Bat vision on? Are you bloody insane?
You can't figure out anything with bat vision on.
I think he just ran out of things to joke about. Or maybe he doesn't really care about the enviroments which would make him a huge hypocrite. But he allready is so it doesn't really matter.

(mods, he admitted that himself so you can't ban me for that)

May 29, 2011
I just have to say, WHY DIDN'T THEY HAVE MORE TIME WITH THE MAD HATTER HE WAS ONE OF MY FAVOURITE BLOODY MOMENTS IN THIS GAME! Caps lock rage over. WHy would you put him in there if your just going to leave me disappointed.

Yearlongjester

Feb 14, 2010
Tin Man said:
Yearlongjester said:
Bascially, I think Skyrim's going to have a prime contender for my personal game of the year :)
It's funny because the last thread I posted in had a poster seriously wound up at the fact that Skyrim fanboys creep into 'every fucking unrelated thread' they can find and praise Skyrim just a little bit more...
Haha, sorry! I wasn't honestly trying to hype up that game, it doesn't need it. I'm just getting really excited for it because its right around the corner. Just Arkham City though? I loved this game. It wasn't perfect, it defiantly had some story issues.

I, like a lot of people I feel, kept wondering how they were going to explain just kidnapping Bruce Wayne and tossing him into the place but they never did. And like I said earlier, REALLY disappointed with how they did Hugo Strange. He has so much potential and they hinted at a lot of aspects of his character, but it fell flat BECAUSE WE NEVER SAW HIM in between Beginning and End.

I mean I was curious about Protocol Ten, but my curiosity dried up because we'd just get Strange going "Protocol Ten will happen in three hours" and I'm slapping titan thugs in the crotch trying to stop Penguin. How do we finally figure out something about it? By the game just doing it, which would've been more effective if we had been given a little more information and had allowed it to be a part of the mystery.

From a story perspective I get it, the whole "Cure" thing takes priority but what if along the way Batman had heard something along the lines of "Protocol Ten is Strange's way to fix Gotham's criminal element." That doesn't give a whole lot of information and keeps us interested in whatever the hell P10 is.

Sorry for ranting, but you guys see my point.

rsvp42

Jan 15, 2010
Weird. Maybe it's because I fucking love this game, but it felt like his heart wasn't in it. Like he found some things to pick on, but they don't really hang together in the same compellingly negative way that some of his other videos have.

Bobic

Nov 10, 2009
The Gentleman said:
Seriously, you'd think if Gotham had the money to wall off a section of the city for a giant prison complex, they would have the money for some basic crime prevention programs.
They have a crime prevention program. He's called Batman.

radioactive lemur

May 26, 2010
Is it my imagination, or is this the first time Yahtzee has EXPLICITLY recommended a game after taking the piss out of it for 5 minutes and having almost nothing good to say about it.

Electric Alpaca

What's on the menu?
May 2, 2011
Think the pressure to review mainstream titles is infringing on creativity a little.

Nothing funny, and nothing really constructive. Haven't played the game yet either for myself, although it is sat beside me freshly purchased today - maybe a have a little desire to defend my new purchase?

That said, I have no problem adding the three hits that I do to watch, visit forum and comment to help support originality so here we go:

dnose

Nov 5, 2009
I think I got caught up on stuff when flying around as Batman two or three times but that's about it. And every time it happened, it was because I screwed up. Not the game's fault. Yes, a lot of the villains felt crammed into the story but it made sense in some ways because this is Arkham City, where all of Batman's villains currently reside. It would be even more stupid for none of these character to make an appearance when so much shit is going down. Finally, I saved about half of the side missions for after I finished the story and perhaps I was just lucky but not a single one of them were locked out after finishing the story. And as for his complaint that the story seems a bit out-there....of course it is...it's a superhero story! Are there any realistic superhero stories?

I think Yahtzee liked this game a lot more than his video let on because he really sounded like he was reaching for complaints and taking minor things and turning them into game-breaking problems. I know he does that in most of his videos but having played and loved this game for well over 30 hours now, I think he really had to try hard to find things to pick apart.

dnose

Nov 5, 2009
Oh and by the way, Yahtzee, Gotham does have the money for crime prevention programs but one of the over-arching stories in the Batman universe is that most of the police force is corrupt.

V TheSystem V

Sep 11, 2009
Side missions weren't locked off after you completed the game, it's just that some parts of the story needed to be completed if you got to those parts before you could explore again. I had that problem towards the end.

It's entirely possible to finish everything after the story is over.

By the way, for Perfect Night Day 2, the side missions: If you've done them on the first playthrough but not New Game +, will it hinder your 100%?

SidingWithTheEnemy

Sep 29, 2011
I'm a bit disappointed that Yatzhee hasn't commented on the cardboard Halloween costume but otherwise the review was premium as expected.

I liked the Catwoman bit and the fine remark about preowning...

Yopaz

Sarcastic overlord
Jun 3, 2009
Dutch 924 said:
Is it just me or was this video uploaded an hour early? Must've been the daylight savings
Yeah, I didn't expect this to be up until 5 minutes. I forget that daylight savings isn't universal, or necessarily the same date everywhere... this confused me... I don't like changes!

OT: Great review, makes me more sure that I will pick this up. I do however still need to finish Arkham Asylum before I can start playing... Hardcore gaming starts December 15th if I am not mistaken...

SonOfVoorhees

Aug 3, 2011
Great and vid and very true. I love the AC game, just the plot was not very structured or that interesting, maybe thats more to do with the city element that distracts you all the time so your not following the plot properly. The city was huge, but not much to do in it.

I would have preferred a more smarter story based on each of the villains. Some of the side missions were good, but just travel a to b etc Liked all the villains though and how they are represented, just wish their was more substance to the stories with them.

But again, its a great game.