Zero Punctuation: Battlefield: Bad Company 2

jamescorck

Jan 25, 2010
When he said "I want to play an FPS that allows me to have more guns than eyeballs" I instantly thought on Fallout 3. Okay, Fallout 3 is not an FPS "per se", you have to tinker with all the RPG elements, but that game allows you to have all the weapons you are able to carry (which I discovered the other day was about 12, without overcumbering yourself) and it's a very good example of how to blend FPS and RPG elements into one game.

Virtual_Dom

Jul 3, 2009
I don't know if I would count Modern Warfare 1 and 2 as "realistic shooter" since I can play them with the same tactics I use in halflife 2 and still do pretty well.

zarathustra2k1

Apr 2, 2010
TheJwalkR said:
I am a battlefield fanboy at heart and I was hoping to get this game. My view so far is that it has been too dumbed down for the consoles. Battlefield 2 was amazing and BC2 seems like Battlefield 2's awkward cousin trying to be MW2.
This.

BoldBaldBastard said:
I totally concur with the dumbed down bit. I played Vietnam, BF2 and BF2142. Although it's nice to see a new BF version out there, the n00b friendly kniving system is awkward and here and there things feel 'rushed'.

The single player campaign bit should be deleted in an update of the game. Really, what is 'single' player doing in a BF game?? But this is the bit where they are trying to look like MW2 for sure.
And this.

Owning (& enjoying) the suite of Battlefield games, I find myself returning to BF2 _much_ more often than BC2. Find me on the Killer Bee server #1 - Dragon Valley! Huzzah!

Dice ought never to have added the inane single-player mode & instead stuck to what they do best - & are _the_ best at doing. There was simply no need to emulate the CoDs, which have deteriorated with every iteration.

Postscript: amusing as the ZP rants are, I'm one of the newfags irked that Yahtzee doesn't 'do' multi-player. I'd surely like to see a ZP on BF2. Nattameen..?

Autofaux

Aug 31, 2009
He's pretty much right, the single player is kinda.. well, bad. Leave it to a multiplayer dev to create a crappy single player campaign.
That said, I adore the multiplayer.

aps1984

Mar 24, 2010
This review has made me lose respect for Yahtzee. He's a funny guy but this review goes to show that sometimes he can really miss the point.

AllLagNoFrag

Jun 7, 2010
I only bought this game for the Multiplayer... Singleplayer was at best OK. Modern Warfare 2 kept me amused for much longer. Awesome thing though is that this is the only video I've watched that properly describes the cons of the game! Good job!

Drauden

Jun 2, 2010
Bought this for PC. It's a fun game if you have some friends to play with. If not, beware of angry teens who will kill you for your car, even when you're on the same team. Also, the bloomin' and dust in this game is horribly overdone.

CAW4

Feb 7, 2009
Let's summarize all the comments: "Derp I'm terrible so that means that the game's bad"

MrCollins

Power Vacuumer
Jun 28, 2010
saxton121 said:
lol that was damn funny

and Yahtzee's right,this whole game is almost an MW ripoff from start..who needs a loading screen with google maps?

Star wars battle field did the same a lot earlier

theif519

Jan 9, 2011
This is my favorite FPS series, Battlefield, and Bad Company 2 is the best FPS I've ever played to date. I love the destructive environment, the weapons, the bullet-drop, the classes, the perks, the vehicles, the squad-respawns, and everything about the game! It's amazing, but the Single Player Campaign is a bit lacking, not as good as BC1. To be honest, when I played the Campaign and finished it, I was contemplating taking it back until I played the awesome Multiplayer.

Cyberjester

Oct 10, 2009
Realistic? Duuuuude, you know your games better than that right? Right?

Play BF2, then BF:BC2. BF:BC2 is a console game, which means it's bouncy as anything. So unrealistic it's painful.

BF2 was solid. I can't describe it except BF2 was good. Unless you're playing on a console in which case. xP

Also, while it is a CoD 4 clone, remember that up till CoD 3, the series was a MoH clone, CoD 4 and up became a Halo clone. So really, everything is just a Halo clone masquerading as "realistic" nowadays. While PC gamers scoff at realistic and moan over our lovely comm rosette turning into.. Into.. Ewies.

Also, no offense, but you really need to play Quake 3. Learn how to move, then learn how to aim. The rail gun was good for that.

Now go play BF:BC2. It's easy man, SVU, run in head shotting everything that doesn't move and putting a shotgun shell into the face of everything that does. Was enjoyable right up until that stupid river which kills you if you land in it. -.-

Alright multiplayer though, enough BF2 vets are around that there's a few people who know how to play.

Epsum

Mar 11, 2011
this was a great review. I say this as a fan of BFBC2; I've found that when it comes to gaming it's good to see that the games you play aren't perfect and though Mr.Croshaw (forgive me if I misspelled his name)is brutal in his reviews, he maintains a policy of brutality with reason and creative language, this meaning that throughout every review that I've seen by Mr.Croshaw there has never been a complaint of his that was invalid or boring. Great Job.

Dr.Cereal1

Mar 30, 2011
Far too many people took this review as a serious decider in buying the game or not, especially since it is a singleplayer review on a multiplayer series.

Uratoh

Jun 10, 2011
Given what DNF turned out to be like, this review is utterly hillarious is hindsight.

Amaror

Apr 15, 2011
saxton121 said:
lol that was damn funny

and Yahtzee's right,this whole game is almost an MW ripoff from start..who needs a loading screen with google maps?
Then play the multiplayer, you know, that thing, that the game was made for.

asorel

Nov 17, 2017
Speaking a deranged right-wing shut-in, it always slightly puzzles me when Yahtzee suggests I'm part of the core target audience for cawadooty and the other modern war shooters. Whenever my racist friends and I gather together in my fallout shelter to await the country getting taken over by all the border-hopping Mexicans, one of the most common things we discuss as we lovingly lube and caress our big, black, powerful guns is how stale and unenjoyable the modern FPS has become compared to the old classics like Half Life 2 or Doom. Before briefly going on a tangent about our plan to stimulate the economy by grinding up the poor people and serving them as hors d'oeuvres to stimulate the economy, we generally agree that the Modern Warfares and Battlefields of the world are patronized by fools with more money than sense from all walks of life, all over the political spectrum.