Zero Punctuation: Battlefield: Bad Company 2

Poomanchu745

Sep 11, 2009
Not very funny although I did hate the mortar scene. Staying on the guys ass and still dying was pretty damn frustrating.

Tharticus

Dec 10, 2008
That's amusing. And I thought that Mr. Croshaw would rip it apart as like Modern Warfare 2.

saxton121

Nov 27, 2009
lol that was damn funny

and Yahtzee's right,this whole game is almost an MW ripoff from start..who needs a loading screen with google maps?

solidstatemind

Digital Oracle
Nov 9, 2008
Rofl-- knew this one was in the pipe from his comments last week; stll made me laugh pretty hard, tho.

Darkefire

Jun 25, 2008
Bahahaha, fantastic. I feel almost exactly the same way about most modern shooters, although I still think MW2 takes the prize for "spawn, walk three steps, get shot by a sniper you never saw, repeat" gameplay. Give me good old fashioned health kits any day over this piss-easy regenerating health. Even Mass Effect 2 got in on it, since apparently people found the first game's system of bulking up your shields to the point they can take anything too difficult.

Lost In The Void

When in doubt, curl up and cry
Aug 27, 2008
And this is why I avoided it. I'm not paying for a game that I already wasted $60 on just so I can borrow it to my roommate's younger brother and never want it back again *cuddles all the RPGs he owns*

8bitmaster

Devourer of pie
Nov 9, 2009
gotta hate realism shooters. its just too accurate to life. Give me halflife 2 any day.

ItsAPaul

Mar 4, 2009
Sounds like a realistic shooter being too realistic. My cover can be blown up? Then why the hell is this a game? I of course don't know from playing it since fps games are all terrible, but thats how MW2 is.

Yahtzee Croshaw

Aug 8, 2007
I wasn't exactly thrilled with the first game either. What is it with destructable environments anyway? They look pretty but they never really seem to do anything other than clusterfucking the landscape and giving you an option between doorway and hole in the wall. They can bang on about (and I just read about the guy making Body Count bang on about for about three pages) how they alter tactics and strategy and you can't just hide from tanks in inpenetrable buildings anymore, but the fact is that pretty much every player out there is going to treat it almost exactly the same as they would any Call of Duty of Medal of Honor. I thought we were over this shit about the time Black came out.

Tsignotchka

Jun 5, 2009
It's like the Dust is trying to hide the fact that it's a bad game made even worse with the addition of exploding scenery.

At least in MW2 you could run around stabbing people in the bollocks when you got bored of shooting them.

remm2004

Nov 18, 2009
I was expecting FFXIII, I want to see Yahtzee tearing it a new one, but oh well
So Bad Company 2 is as generic as it?s cover?

PhiMed

Nov 26, 2008
I'm glad I'm not alone in HATING this game (I'll say it again... DUST!)

NeoAC

Zombie Nation #LetsRise
Jun 9, 2008
Wow, and I'm bad at Modern Warfare. I can only imagine what this game would do to my osteoporotic sparrow-like self-esteem.

Oh, and if Yahtzee's looking for another side, maybe a mod will come out so he can join the Chinese. They're the next logical tango partner, right?

Aurora219

Aug 31, 2008
That didn't tell me very much about the game.. but I don't suppose it was meant to.

Ah well, rant watched, I'll go back to not being able to afford this game whether I want it or not.

Yahtzee Croshaw

Aug 8, 2007
Single player was cool but the MP was god awful.
Anyone else see the irony of the AD for BFBF2 overlaying the video while watching him rip into it?

MR T3D

Feb 21, 2009
he think its trying to be realistic, and reviews a very MP focused game.
...amusing in a cute, "this isn't the type of game you should review" way.

Assassin Xaero

Jul 23, 2008
I do completely agree that all these "realistic" shooters are getting annoying. I do miss the old days of carrying every gun and not having to choose which to drop to pick up something else...

Silk_Sk

Mar 25, 2009
Yahtzee should really stop reviewing games that everyone buys for the multiplayer.

Yahtzee Croshaw

Aug 8, 2007
I didnt like this one, all he talked about was the dust and the ability to shoot down helicopters with rockets and also was the truck-a-sarus-rex reference from the first game?

also no mention of the world war 2 mission? i think yahzee only played this for a 2 hours and assumed its going to be a mw2 knock-off which isnt true

HK_01

Jun 1, 2009
No mention of multiplayer? Isn't that like, I don't know, the focus of the game?

Distorted Stu

Sep 22, 2009
Nice, made me chuckle. I take it he doesnt like the game because he didnt mention one single good thing?

Canadamus Prime

Robot in Disguise
Jun 17, 2009
So it's just MW2... again. ...joy. /sarcasm
Oh yeah and Yahtzee, that bit at the end of the credits was more information than I needed, thanks.

ElArabDeMagnifico

Dec 20, 2007
This basically shows exactly why DICE should stick to multiplayer.

Though, one interesting thing the single player did was set up context for the multiplayer by making the multiplayer the "sequel" to the single player.

Sep 13, 2009
Actually I wanted to hear a couple of words about multiplayer, since for a lot of folk out there it's the only reason to buy this game.

Formica Archonis

Anonymous Source
Nov 13, 2009
"Perfectly square-shaped hole". I have to ask: Is Yahtzee exaggerating, or does the game really blow SQUARE holes in things?

yourbeliefs

Bored at Work
Jan 30, 2009
I was hesitant about playing this when I heard that the SP experience was like that of MW2 (ie SHIT) so after viewing this I think I can safely keep this off of my Gamefly queue and rest comfortably at night. Funny video.

Feb 13, 2008
Can I just say *cock* the penis *dick* refen *tallywhacker*-ces are getting *shlong* a little *todger* more use than the *wang* breasts *slobber* ones in the Tomb *boner* Raider ones?

Oh yes, *IRON ROD OF DOOM*

Puhhhhlease.

Gardenia

Oct 30, 2008
I agree with yahtzee on basically everything he commented on. The singleplayer was shit. The multiplayer, however, is awesome.

snow

Jan 14, 2010
Oh wow! I watched this without realizing it was the new one for today LOL.

Woops!

Yeah, I kinda had an issue with the first bad company... Seems like all those issues returned for more eh?

GameGoddess101

Jun 11, 2009
I'm glad I'm not the only one sick to fucking death of modern warfare shooters... Can we get over gritty, dirt brown and gun metal gray, modern warfare "realistic" shooters? Please?
Funny review, not like I needed someone to tell me BC2 was shit... The trailers told me that!! ^_^
Great, as always.

Michael Ochoa

Mar 22, 2010
Strangely, his reviews always make me want to actually play the game. In some instances, (Mass Effect), I've actually gone out and bought said game.

TraumaHound

Jan 11, 2009
Loved the "Reading Where's Wally from across the street" sequence; that was a convoluted series of events that, having not played B:BC2, I can only imagine how that metaphorically describes the gameplay. Maybe a game that actually had all those bits Yahtzee mentioned would be more fun to play. I mean, vampire bats? Truckasaurus? Panthers?! C'mon, there's some great gaming to be had there! Oh, and dust. Shitloads of dust!

o_O

Jul 19, 2009
...Kick ass and chew brains. I love it. That frame is definitely up there on the awesomeness scale.

As to the game, I don't really bother with too many shooters. Play one, you've played them all. Most of the time. Bad Company seems to be in the most category anyway.

BlueInkAlchemist

Ridiculously Awesome
Jun 4, 2008
Another realistic shooter that only lets you carry two weapons and is set in a modern ruined cityscape? Wow, I'm SO shocked Yahtzee didn't like it! I was certain he'd go in for the chest-high walls, auto-regeneration of health and enemies with superior visual acuity!

/sarcasm

orangeapples

Aug 1, 2009
Why are the russians the bad guys now anyway? Can't they pick a more accurate enemy for whole Modern part of the combat? Like the 3 eyed aliens of Zaraggon. Now those nasty buggers put up a good fight a few years back. You can't even sneak up on them because that stupid third eye is on the back of their neck. But the Russians haven't really done anything since the whole Georgia incident. Or is this more "Americans don't know jack about global politic" because I am getting really tired of not knowing...

Vohn_exel

Residential Idiot
Oct 24, 2008
I've never liked war movies, my dad watched them ALLL the dang time. I mean seriously, it was irritating. So, I guess thats passed on to where I just don't like regular shooters...but I couldn't bring myself to finishing Bioshock either.

Anyway, this one was pretty funny. The "pounded into the dirt" part cracked me up. I loved the little sparrow with a bone disease, lol.

mchoueiri

Jun 10, 2009
well I this games doesn't looks awful. Has a decent campaign also they say the online is a blast to play. But if it was MW2 or BC2 I would go with MW2 any day.

uppitycracker

Oct 9, 2008
i think you should have reminded everyone that you don't play multiplayer games, yet again, because as always the single player is not even close to part of the draw here.

Mirroga

Jun 6, 2009
DPPFFRWSIWWBTONOTMTWHAAFAPAHD shooter. That's hard to remember.

Also, DUST!

I expect God of War 3 next week if I assume Yahtzee would never touch another JRPG game, especially, IMO, the failure that is FF13.

CD-R

Mar 1, 2009
saxton121 said:
lol that was damn funny

and Yahtzee's right,this whole game is almost an MW ripoff from start..who needs a loading screen with google maps?
You do realize the Battlefield series was out before Modern Warfare?

reg42

Mar 18, 2009
The Battlefield games have never really interested me, they just seemed like generic modern shooter games which are very popular so some reason.
I'm hoping a truly innovative shooter comes out in the near future, because we really need one of those about now.

Ralphfromdk

Mar 26, 2009
Darkefire said:
Bahahaha, fantastic. I feel almost exactly the same way about most modern shooters, although I still think MW2 takes the prize for "spawn, walk three steps, get shot by a sniper you never saw, repeat" gameplay. Give me good old fashioned health kits any day over this piss-easy regenerating health. Even Mass Effect 2 got in on it, since apparently people found the first game's system of bulking up your shields to the point they can take anything too difficult.
i can forgive a game like mass effect for doing the regen-health thingy :p
after all.. it's space.. in the future... shields and self fixing armor :D
once that stuff is gone, it doesn't take that many bullets to die <.<

*edit* damn.. pressed post before i talked about the video :p shame on me..
anywho.. good video :) although... this is one of those games where the lack
of multiplayer review hurts the game...

Loves2spooge

Apr 13, 2009
I know the guy doesn't pay much attention to multiplayer, nor do I really, but Battlefield IS multiplayer, and I got it just for that, and I love it, despite the fact I generally hate online games (TF2 excluded).

Also, is it just me, but does this review feel like it's cut short?

Yahtzee Croshaw

Aug 8, 2007
Hahaha ah good stuff. I'll have to disagree with the man though, BC2 is a pretty damn sweet game :D Not the singleplayer, god no, I haven't even finished it which means it is pretty shitty because I always play the campaign first. And what's with everyone having problems with the mortar part? I did it in one try. I was like: They can not mean this part? There has to be another even crazier barrage around the corner. I enjoy the game immensly, such a nice uppgrade from MW2 :)

Though I don't like that DICE added two bullshit "specializations" perky stuff - Magnum Ammo and Body Armour. Basically Stopping Power and Juggernaut. Fucking *sigh*. Don't people get it? Remove the fucking perks bullshit. It's not fun and it's not balanced. I really hoped I would avoid that shit in BC2...

mchoueiri

Jun 10, 2009
grimlockfly said:
HK_01 said:
No mention of multiplayer? Isn't that like, I don't know, the focus of the game?
seriously, it's a multiplayer game with a tacked on single player mode.
I wouldn't call the single player tacked on. AvP has a tacked on single player. I would say this has a decent one.

Buizel91

Autobot
Aug 25, 2008
madbird-valiant said:
I wasn't exactly thrilled with the first game either. What is it with destructable environments anyway? They look pretty but they never really seem to do anything other than clusterfucking the landscape and giving you an option between doorway and hole in the wall. They can bang on about (and I just read about the guy making Body Count bang on about for about three pages) how they alter tactics and strategy and you can't just hide from tanks in inpenetrable buildings anymore, but the fact is that pretty much every player out there is going to treat it almost exactly the same as they would any Call of Duty of Medal of Honor. I thought we were over this shit about the time Black came out.
online it stops campers

"hey that guys camping"

*BOOM*

"not any more" ^_^

Spectrum_Prez

Aug 19, 2009
"the Russians are occupying the surface of Mercury, which is beyond the most liberal interpretation of lebensraum"

Ok, I laughed heartily at this.

josh4president

Mar 24, 2010
Fox News jokes, Yahtzee? Seriously?

I don't want to pretend that a news network - or indeed anything - is supposedly above being mocked, but I've already heard every Fox News joke there is! Multiple times! From utterly unrelated sources!

Surely there must be something in the opposite hemisphere worth mocking beyond Mr. Atkinson, if only for the sheer thrill of hearing something new.

On second thought, just mocking Mr. Atkinson more would also be perfectly acceptable. That bizarre fellow is going to be out of the limelight before too long and it would be a shame to waste the time remaining. It is so rare to find someone who can legitimately earn universal scorn from all sides that it will be almost a shame to be rid of the brain-addled bloke.

*ALMOST*

AnneSQF

Sep 22, 2009
I was wondering about Russian always being the enemy too (when its not Nazis ofc.). I would love to see a game were you fought against... a European country or as a European country fighting USA. Its not realistic but come on!!

Baby Tea

Just Ask Frankie
Sep 18, 2008
I fail to understand what makes Battlefield Cad Company 2 'realistic'.
Since it's about as realistic as Super Mario Bros.
But it was a charming video nonetheless.

Lord Doomhammer

Mar 20, 2021
Country
United States
I really enjoyed this game, mostly for the multiplayer, and the tanks... and the hell is he talking about 'impenetrable walls of dust'? I played the beta and the released game and found no such dust that i couldn't see through. I get the feeling yhatzee was reaching for the first and or most obvious petty fault he could find.

Nomanslander

Feb 21, 2009
Anyone else find it ironic and funny how we're given an ad for BC2 right before the review starts and Yahtzee rips it a new one?

XP

Yahtzee Croshaw

Aug 8, 2007
Haven't played Bad Company 2, but I think Yahtzee should stay away from first person shooters for a bit, especially ones that attempt 'realism' as stuff like buildings falling down and creating dust, as well as glare on sunny levels while sniping is somewhat set up to be 'realistic'. I think he wants more fantasy in his games, so going through all these first person shooters is somewhat like beating a dead horse.

KeyMaster45

Gone Gonzo
Jun 16, 2008
Hmm, I was rather looking forward to him dusting off the "Its like God of War but..." poster for this week only to burn it because it would be God of War. A slightly boring review, probably because I don't play shooters and find them to be the most uncreative form of game design.

Remzer

Provider of Nutrients
Jul 29, 2009
As I recall, Yahtzee has always said that a multiplayer game should still have a single player mode that's worth playing on its own (or something to that effect, with a cool accent and a hat). In this regard, he's perfectly in his own right to review them as such.

And I'm actually glad I'm not the only onwe getting tired of companies pushing realism always further. Soon, as a way of escaping real life, we'll go play fake-real life... (I think it's called the Sims, or somehting...)

A1

Jul 9, 2009
Wow. Seeing Yahtzee reconcile with Duke Nukem was something I seriously did not expect. Especially not after his Duke Nukem Forever pseudo-review.

But what I'm wondering is if I'm the only one who noticed what appears to have happened. That the FPS genre started getting flooded with soldiers, space marines, and realistic (or pseudo-realistic) shooters because developers started taking the genre seriously. What do you think is a better word for that? Would it be tragic or ironic?

Mr.Pandah

Pandah Extremist
Jul 20, 2008
I have it for the computer and I never noticed the haze... I have had experience with the dust though, but you'd think there would be dust if an entire building was crumbling down around you/walls being blown out. I think its a neat feature that I actually use to my advantage in multiplayer. Shoot a rocket at a wall and use the dust that is blinding the enemy to run around. It works out pretty well actually.

Other than that, definitely not one of your better ones. I enjoy reading your articles far more than your videos now. I'm glad you took up writing those now.

Mirroga

Jun 6, 2009
Also, if I would be a game writer, wouldn't present wars be against insurgents and rebels, ambushing and suicide bombing the technologically advanced soldiers (I'd rather not say Americans, due to the fact that present "realistic" FPS protagonists always includes Americans).

I would love a Third-person war game in which you're on the rebels' side of the war fighting against technologically advanced enemies,owning them via ambushes, suicidal-bomber teammates, and dirty tricks. You would be destroying their radar and radio system by hijacking one of their vehicles, commanding your rebels to keep the guards busy while planting mines and traps as well as RPGing all of their sattelite and radio machineries to impair their communication.

I'd rather want a war in which there's other objectives than just running around, taking cover, and gunning everything down.

Toasted Nuts

Feb 17, 2010
Meh, I like most of your reviews Yathzee but this was meh... ill probably be called a fan boy by someone (wow nice one thats original). But really i enjoyed the single player it was entertaing and better than Modern warfare, yer the dust could be excessive its not that bad. Also you seem to have a serious case of "Penis" on your mind this week i didnt count but at a guess at least 7 references? There are other things you can use as a funny analogy.

You'd never play it but really the Multiplayer is where this game is strongest but your above tha sort of thing aren't you :).

Critical92

Oct 12, 2009
Im aware that he aint into the whole multiplayer scene, but this game has a very poor singleplayer, the multiplayer is the main aspect.

Jared

The British Paladin
Jul 14, 2009
meditator101 said:
Good to see someones finally criticizing this game!
After all the "OMG its so awesome it is better than anything" It has been getting nice to see a new view on it.

And, as usual. Cant disagree with any of it, heh.

dududf

Aug 31, 2009
This is in my top 2 worst ZP's I've seen.

Try something other then Cock Jokes. Perhaps something Witty?

Opacic

Jun 25, 2008
I enjoyed the review, but it was particularly uh, off I suppose.

Battlefield has never been about Single Player. 1942 didn't even ship with a single player campaign at all, it was a purely multiplayer experience, unless you enjoyed playing with bots all day. That IS the essence of the Battlefield series.

To argue that this game is at all realistic is pretty facetious, the selling point of the single player campaign in this game that it is, essentially, a complete pisstake on Modern Warfare 2. Bad Company's SP campaign has always been a spoof of the war genre in general.

I've never noticed this so called 'blurry fuzz' that you saw when you were sniping, quite possibly a result of playing it on a dumbed down console version. Battlefield has and always will be for the PC.

Just because a game has destructible buildings (an incredibly useful feature in Multiplayer, I might add), does not mean it's going for realism. The only thing even slightly realistic is bullets being affected by gravity.

And about the dust, you could, you know, just move elsewhere?

Jaredin said:
meditator101 said:
After all the "OMG its so awesome it is better than anything" It has been getting nice to see a new view on it.

And, as usual. Cant disagree with any of it, heh.
This may shock you, but it may be because it is actually a pretty good game. Waiting around for someone to say something you agree with isn't a barometer of a game's quality.

oppp7

Aug 29, 2009
Ya, from the sounds of it the first game was better. You had crazy amounts of guns, the difficulty wasn't extreme(actually it was too easy), and the plot was more deviant than helping one side win the war.

TV_Casualty

Mar 24, 2010
Everyone calling for "non-modern" shooters do realize that Bioshock 2 and Mass Effect 2 are out right now, correct? You know, decent, completely playable games? Just because Yahtzee said a few unflattering about them, doesn't mean that they're ALL bad. Or, for that matter, that they don't exist.

At any rate, they're better buys than BF:BC2.

I mean, Christ, if you took Yahtzee's word for law, your video game collection would only consist of Half-Life 2, Portal, and Silent Hill 2. Which, of course, would be an awesome collection, but you also wouldn't have played anything in the past two years.

SuperBlackS14

May 22, 2009
That final scene made me wretch slightly...

...So, a new type of aerial vehicle based on imps... Great Plan is Great

Edit: TV_Casualty +1 Correct

nanaholic

Nov 11, 2009
I loved the first BC's campaign - the blowing up stuff mechanic was pretty intense and fun, but the best thing was that the story and characters didn't take itself too seriously, so after you have your cover being blown to bits and went through the usual gun fights, you get treated to some toilet and high school humor in between and it somehow worked (still loved the scene where Haggard was shooting his shotgun into the air while crossing over a border to chase for GOLD in the first one). BC2's campaign was dry with most of the humor gone (except the MW2 pokes, which if you didn't play MW2 it would just fly right over your head) and took itself way too seriously, yes, exactly like in a "hey I'm pretending to be MW2!" way. BC and MW occupied different spaces the way I saw it, and it's a damn shame that BC2 decides to ditch what made it fun in the first place to try to move into MW's space.

DrEmo

May 4, 2009
BC2 is fun, at least, and you can't blame these new "realistic" shooters for trying to be epic.
But it's games like these and reviewers like Yahtzee that make me want to go into game development so I can make my game a reality:
A realistic cover based 3rd person shooter where the enemies start out as soldiers but further into the game they're all things like tigers with human heads wielding chainsaws and your character has a gun that shoots cobras.
It's called "Operation Groundhog" and it's rated M because your character is a sentient penis.

CD-R

Mar 1, 2009
ItsAPaul said:
Sounds like a realistic shooter being too realistic. My cover can be blown up? Then why the hell is this a game? I of course don't know from playing it since fps games are all terrible, but thats how MW2 is.
Because blowing stuff up is fun. You got someone camping in a house giving you trouble. Blow the house up around him. It makes things more dynamic. You just can't hide behind an indestructible wall and take potshots at people you actually have to move.

MGlBlaze

Oct 28, 2009
I have to agree that the vision-obscuring dust gets incredibly annoying; especially in certain levels where it's a constant effect on the level in some places and obscures your vision of the AI enemies even though they're perfectly capable of seeing you. Surely it wouldn't be that hard to code in some detection for where particle effects are so AI enemies have their 'vision' obscured too?

I never had any problems with the mortar section myself, though. I only ever died once, and that's because I lagged behind. I find that you'll generally stay alive if you're in the middle of your NPC comrades instead of behind them.

TV_Casualty

Mar 24, 2010
Opacic said:
TV_Casualty said:
Bioshock 2.
Hey, you misspelled System Shock 2 there.
Ha. True, true.

However, no matter you how cynical you want to be, you can't deny that there were vast gameplay improvements between Bioshock 1 and 2.

And notice how I didn't mention "stellar storytelling." Wink wink. I don't think anyone could say that the story of Bio2 has the same gravitas and deep significance as the well-contained presentation in Bio1. But that doesn't make the game unplayable, and that certainly doesn't mean that it's not at least worth a rental.

But a bit off topic here...

Jennacide

Dec 6, 2007
Whatever, he only discussed the single player, which is still better than MW2 IMO. The real price is the multiplayer, which is a goddam blast, and also better than MW2. My first time playing I got into a match of Rush on Island and it became the single most epic battle scene I've ever seen. And I generally dislike the abuse of the word epic, but nothing else could describe it. Other team had a few guys that were way higher in rank than anyone, and a few that seemed to be cheating, but my scrappy team valiantly fought them back for 45 minutes with pure chaos going on everywhere.

I typically love TF2 above all else in multiplayer, but damned if that wasn't the greatest experience I've ever had in an FPS, and it was entirely unscripted.
Opacic said:
TV_Casualty said:
Bioshock 2.
That's an insult to System Shock 2. Bioshock 1 was an okay analog to SS2, Bioshock 2 is a big steaming pile that fixed bad game mechanics and tossed all good bits like atmosphere out the window.

CopperBoom

Nov 11, 2009
Aww... he was secretly humping the Imp.
Pretty funny review, not the most although that button at the end was charming.

I actually really like this game online which is weird, because I do not enjoy pretty much every other online shooter. I understand that arena is not his cup of tea.

geldonyetich

Aug 2, 2006
Having heard from a number of people that Bad Company 2 was better than Modern Warfare 2, I was expecting Yahtzee to chime in with a similar sentiment, but it was lost in the DUST. Maybe because this is focusing mostly on the single player aspect of the game which, like Modern Warfare 2, is perhaps the lesser half of it.

Fox242

El Zorro Cauto
Nov 9, 2009
Yahtzee is as funny as always. I was quite surprised that he decided to review Bad Company 2. I was expecting this week's video to be about Final Fantasy XIII because he apprently was going to review that game. I am really looking forward to his review of God of War III...which I would assume he's going to review. He is going to review it right?

Ancientgamer

Jan 16, 2009
IT'S A MULTIPLAYER GAME FFS. THE SINGLE PLAYER IS VESTIGIAL.

You can argue the concept all fucking day, but that doesn't change the fact that buying a multiplayer game and then not playing the multiplayer is fucking stupid.

Matsuringo

Mar 24, 2010
Let me preface this by saying I love all of Yahtzee's work and I understand he's never really reviewing a game so much as he rants at it, but 2 things kind of bug me about this. He played the SP of a MP game. It's pretty much like judging TF2 based on how the menu looks. Second, the users here and to a smaller extent Yahtzee himself screaming MW2 clone give me a headache on a magnitude I can't properly describe. This series has been around for way longer, and although it's keeping with the status quo of 'cinematic, on rails' FPS, its single player isn't really there for fans of BF. It's for widening the range of appeal so no MP playing people like Yahtzee will pick it up.

TL;DR go play MP you git.

Nomanslander

Feb 21, 2009
Jennacide said:
Whatever, he only discussed the single player, which is still better than MW2 IMO. The real price is the multiplayer, which is a goddam blast, and also better than MW2. My first time playing I got into a match of Rush on Island and it became the single most epic battle scene I've ever seen. And I generally dislike the abuse of the word epic, but nothing else could describe it. Other team had a few guys that were way higher in rank than anyone, and a few that seemed to be cheating, but my scrappy team valiantly fought them back for 45 minutes with pure chaos going on everywhere.

I typically love TF2 above all else in multiplayer, but damned if that wasn't the greatest experience I've ever had in an FPS, and it was entirely unscripted.
Opacic said:
TV_Casualty said:
Bioshock 2.
That's an insult to System Shock 2. Bioshock 1 was an okay analog to SS2, Bioshock 2 is a big steaming pile that fixed bad game mechanics and tossed all good bits like atmosphere out the window.
What are you talking about?

If anything BS2 had way better gameplay than those two combined...it just sucked on some other levels...=/

Opacic

Jun 25, 2008
Jennacide said:
I apologise, System Shock 2 has and always will be one of my favourite RPG's out there, next to Deus Ex.

And Rush is quite fun, isn't it? :p At least when people are actually working together and defusing the charges. We unfortunately have a little crossover from MW2 players, thinking that KD ratios actually matter in this game.

TV_Casualty said:
Ha. True, true.

However, no matter you how cynical you want to be, you can't deny that there were vast gameplay improvements between Bioshock 1 and 2.

And notice how I didn't mention "stellar storytelling." Wink wink. I don't think anyone could say that the story of Bio2 has the same gravitas and deep significance as the well-contained presentation in Bio1. But that doesn't make the game unplayable, and that certainly doesn't mean that it's not at least worth a rental.

But a bit off topic here...
Actually, I really couldn't get into Bioshock, either I had hyped myself up to it, or something, I just couldn't get myself in the game.

Magnalian

Dec 10, 2009
Oh yeah, the dust. I remember that being an issue in the first game...
And dammit, I never got a Truckasaurus rex!

Bran Mugen

Feb 16, 2010
I hear people whining about that it's a multiplayer game and shouldn't be judged by its single player. Well if it shouldn't be judged by single player, it shouldn't have a single player mode, now should it?!

Sjakie

Feb 17, 2010
I agree with this ZP. He could have bashed the AI a little more still.

Give me bulky space marines and lasers over Soldiers and projectile weapons any day.

David Bray

Jan 8, 2010
I always hope B:BC and MW will get together and make a single uber-game that destroys them and stops this slew of the exact same fucking game every month.

J-Alfred

Jul 28, 2009
good review, sorry the game sucked, and good luck getting that new term for realistic shooters to catch on.

Frank_Sinatra_

Digs Giant Robots
Dec 30, 2008
The_root_of_all_evil said:
Can I just say *cock* the penis *dick* refen *tallywhacker*-ces are getting *shlong* a little *todger* more use than the *wang* breasts *slobber* ones in the Tomb *boner* Raider ones?

Oh yes, *IRON ROD OF DOOM*

Puhhhhlease.
I think the cock references are getting extra air time because of the increase of cock sucking going on in the comments?
Am I right, or am I speaking rubbish?

OT: Yes there was a crap-ton of dust that attributed to the majority of my deaths.... That's about all I'll agree on.
I guess he didn't play the first one, because I expected a note about how the games tone went from light hearted to gritty dark between the sequels.

Ancientgamer

Jan 16, 2009
Bran Mugen said:
I hear people whining about that it's a multiplayer game and shouldn't be judged by its single player. Well if it shouldn't be judged by single player, it shouldn't have a single player mode, now should it?!
please explain that logic.

Because it could go both ways, what if you took Total War, judged it purely by its multiplayer, and then said "Well if it didn't want to be judged entirely by its multiplayer it shouldn't have had it."

Not to mention that nobody is saying the single player shouldn't have been reviewed, on that reviewing only the single player is stupid.

flabslapper

Sep 24, 2009
agreed, I've been saying for years that realism does not equal fun, realism equals bang your dead I don't want to play this anymore

Yahtzee Croshaw

Aug 8, 2007
Yahtzee Croshaw said:
Battlefield: Bad Company 2

This week, Zero Punctuation reviews Battlefield: Bad Company 2.

Watch Video
It's a Mutliplayer Shooter... like Battlefield 1942, Battlefield Vietnam, Battlefield 2, Battlefield 2142, Battlefield Heroes and Battlefield 1943... all of those didn't even have a SinglePlayer campaign aside of "play map with bots"... maybe if some of you people would have played any of em you'd have gotten that point by now xD

Oh and here's a spoiler, Battlefield 3 will be a Multiplayer Shooter too, they just put the SinglePlayer in there for all those "I hate Multiplayer games" crybabies as far as I've seen... I've played it for about 20 minutes and Online for about 30 hours.

Also... what chest-high walls? There were no chest-high walls in the first 2 missions I played, at least not on the PC...

Dizko

Feb 25, 2010
Wait a minute.. there's a Single Player part to this game? Really though, reviewing the single player portion of any Battlefield game would be like reviewing Crysis solely based on it's multiplayer.

Not trying to be a hater, but why review a very Multi-player centric game when you don't like playing games online? Seems odd, there are many other games that could be reviewed in lieu of BFBC2. Is this what the SCII review is going to be like?

BurroDiablo

Mar 5, 2009
Good review, not particularly funny but still liked it since it's a game I've actually played. It was a pretty crap game (Singleplayer anyway)... wasn't really a MW2 clone until the copy pasted part with the EMP going off and the helicopter falling from the sky. You'd think with all those billions EA could buy an imagination or some shit.
I did notice the massive amounts of dust but it wasn't really a problem until the driving missions, when you couldn't see shit for the bastards in front of you kicking all kinds of snowy earthy crap and bullets into your eyes, so you drive off the edge of the cliff you were so carefully trying to avoid.
Wouldn't mind a Just Cause 2 review in the next few weeks... just played it and uninstalled it after a few hours... fucking awful game (the PC version), crap controls, laggy camera, the main guy moves like a dripping sack of diarrhoea. Rip it a new one by all means.
Oh yeah... Russian national anthem is fantastic, brings a tear to my eye listening to it.

Ace01

May 19, 2009
I thought the single player was good. But you did the mortar scene TWICE. I liked the game single player was ok, But at least the multiplayer is really fun. I mean if you hate a game because I CANT CALL IN AIR STRIKE, WHERES MY HARRIER, THERES NO HEAVY CLASS ON MY SCREEN.[Ahem]

Well, i like the game and i liked modern warfare, (first one, second one was god awful)

ThatNashGuy

Mar 22, 2010
Single-player in BF: BC2 is absolute crap on a fosillized roll but multiplayer was a gleaming god statue of excellence, which made me feel like i was in a team, instead of stuck with some random freaks. It also had epicness that I normally don't experience in a game like this. i felt like i was fighting a battle with dependable comrades more than most multiplayer games i play, also i don't suck at it (well, noth that much).

However I do have two complaints;
1. I'm a level 7 at this point and it's taking FOREVER to get any cool weapons, with all of them around 20, couldn't they spread it out a bit?
2. Is you can't cancel directly after a game, but these are minor complaints to a very good multiplayer mode, but could make the singel-player a little better, or more crap now ya think about it.

CakeDragon

Mar 10, 2009
Yahtzee, you never give a proper review of games any more. You take a game, say something (if anything) about the good bits, then rattle on about everything else for the rest of the video...
I used to go on your judgement on games but now I don't know any more because all your "review" seems to do is slag off a game for 5 minutes.

Maybe I'm missing the point here, maybe I should just be enjoying it because you rip apart games, and it's funny. But, from your early days, you've changed a lot.

OT: I didn't know Bad Company 2 had a single-player mode. Well I've learnt something today.

Eruanno

Captain Hammer
Aug 14, 2008
To all people who make realistic shooter games like Bad Company, Modern Warfare and Medal of Honor: STOP MAKING THEM. I AM SO FUCKING TIRED OF THESE GAMES.

Sorry about that.

I need to go play a real game for a few moments now.

Mulder123

Mar 7, 2010
Mortar part was hard? Sheesh, I played the castle parts of the desert 10 times per autosave, the imported from S.T.A.L.K.E.R. enemy guns really made it hard to shoot a dot from 100 meters. Although I completely agree about the helicopters ;]

duchaked

Dec 25, 2008
lol just rented this game
haven't tried it out much but I did notice I was just...going through the motions
not that I'm complaining or anything

TZer0

Jan 22, 2008
Well, BC2 is not MW2. BC2 is in my opinion. And the mortar scene. Why is he complaining about that one? I managed to get through that scene without dying once. Good job I must say. Try using the 10 m high walls properly next time.

icnfde

Dec 27, 2007
It takes a special kind of moron to review the singleplayer component of a predominantly multiplayer game, even moreso in this case since the Battlefield series has rarely been about SP.

What's next Yahtzee? A Quake 3 Arena singleplayer review?

Yahtzee Croshaw

Aug 8, 2007
saxton121 said:
and Yahtzee's right,this whole game is almost an MW ripoff from start.
I like it how some people on the escapist appear to just blindly assume that everything Yahtzee omits out of his ass during his reviews is true. Battlefield is a much, much older franchise them MW and have always been pure mulitplayer shooters. In fact the way I see it the only reason DICE bothered putting single player campaigns into BC 1 and 2 was because they were afraid of shipping a console game that had no single player.

pigmy wurm

Nov 18, 2009
Do you know what needs to be brought back to FPS games? The paint ball cheat from Golden eye. Think about it you have all of the drab gray and brown environments but as the fire fight progresses it gets the the point that it looks like a kindergarten classroom on finger painting day. And what would be even cooler is if it had a random chance to be turned on every time a multiplayer match started.

frankly someone should make a game with that sort of premise, something along the lines of "Da Blob vs Modern Warfare" but with plasma cannons and giant explosives and chain saw throwers.

Ildecia

Nov 8, 2009
DDDDDDDDDDDDDDDUUUUUUUUUUUUUUSSSSSSSSSSSTTTTTTTTTT

that was too funny; always funny to watch

A1

Jul 9, 2009
Baby Tea said:
I fail to understand what makes Battlefield Cad Company 2 'realistic'.
Since it's about as realistic as Super Mario Bros.
But it was a charming video nonetheless.

I think you bring up a pretty decent point. But it could be that this "tyranny of realism" of which Yahtzee speaks also refers to the arguably misguided attempts of FPS developers to be realistic.

Lord Azrael

Apr 16, 2009
Battlefield 2 was amazing multiplayer fun. I bought BFBC2 fully expecting it to not have any single player whatsoever and that wouldn't have bothered me at all. Battlefield games ahve always been about the multiplayer. Things that did irritate me were the removal of the prone position and the excessive dust.
First time I played I got my arse handed to me more times than I could count, then I got back into my groove and started scoring some major points. I initially was dubious about only 4 classes over BF2's 6 but after unlocking a load of weapons and being able to use them with a variety of classes I was more convinced.

There is a huge amount of game here, the maps are huge and are going to take a lot of time to learn properly to exploit them as I used to be able to in BF2. The new game modes are refreshing too.

Great as the gamme is I can't wait for the modding tools to be released so the guys who did AIX 2.0 (allied intent) for BF2 can get to grips with this. (Just less airpower this time guys!)

Knight of Cydonia

Sep 22, 2008
*sigh* This is the first time I've disagreed with Yahtzee this much.*ahem* PLAY THE MULTI PLAYER FOR THIS GAME ONLY. Even if your entire team are dicks(which I am sorry to say is the case most of the time) you can join a squad with a few of your mates and play in a team INSIDE a team. I only have 1 friend with battlefield bad company 2 but we go in a squad of 2 and are ALWAYS the top 2 players in a game.

....I did hate the dust and motors too though.

Yahtzee Croshaw

Aug 8, 2007
madbird-valiant said:
The fact that you can't take advantage of the realistic destruction is nobodies fault but yours. I have been playing BC 2 for the past 3 weeks and the fact that the buildings can be blown up makes a huge difference. I remember this once where a guy I was shooting at ran into a building, so I selected my grenade launcher and took a rough guess just where inside the building he was and blew up a section of a wall I assumed he was hiding behind and what do you know, the guy was hiding behind it after all and the blast kills him.

I also remember another scenario where I was inside a building with very low amounts of health and ammo and I saw 2 enemies enter the building, there was no way I could take them on so I blew a hole in the wall and then used the whole to leave the building and later found a medkit and a ammo box.

People who claim that the realistic destruction doesn't change anything are either just looking for reasons to bash the game or are simply to simpleminded to bother taking any advantage of the fact that walls and cover can now be destroyed.

If you want to bash the game, then bash it for having a shitty server system since EA did a poor job of insuring that its online servers work properly.

Lord Azrael said:
Great as the gamme is I can't wait for the modding tools to be released so the guys who did AIX 2.0 (allied intent) for BF2 can get to grips with this. (Just less airpower this time guys!)
Their won't be any modding tools, DICE has already said so.

scw55

Nov 18, 2009
One of the funniest reviews I've watched, particulary because I aquire COD Modern Warfare 2 recently and it's all true the simularities between the two.
It irriates me how brown and grey each map is on the multiplier. It's like living in a world with a muddy puddle on your face.
I agree with the annoyingness of sniping in these games. I play on a laptop where the resolution is smaller than that of a typical moniter so it's really horrible for me to look down my scope and disguingish another squinty player or a funny shaped vase. I often find myself when camping windows in COD MW2 leaning forwards towards my screen in hope I can see better. It doesn't and makes my contact lenses steam up somehow which makes seeing even more hard with all the dust that gets kicked up.

I hate realistic games. They just get boring :p I only keep playing MW2 because it's oddly amusing to plonk claymors in wierd places and bait people over them :) People are so predictable ^^

Cabisco

May 7, 2009
icnfde said:
It takes a special kind of moron to review the singleplayer component of a predominantly multiplayer game, even moreso in this case since the Battlefield series has rarely been about SP.

What's next Yahtzee? A Quake 3 Arena singleplayer review?
Though I would of put it much nicer than you, I agree with your point.

I've got to admit, it would appear i've been playing a different Bad Company 2 to Yahtzee. I didn't have a problem at all with too much dust when I destroy an entire building, I kinda thought to myself "Yeah, dust everywhere makes sense". Along with that, I didn't find the enemies had x-ray vision but instead they just didn't act like retards and let me get away with sketching out all their positions on a piece of paper for later reference.

NotVeryOriginal

Nov 18, 2009
Too bad Yahtzee doesn't do multiplayer... I've played BFBC2 for about 30 hours now (Steam keeps track of that sort of thing) and I've not touched the single player campaign. Who knows, it's probably as bad as he says it is.

Anyway... what I really wanted to say was to everyone else:

Please stop comparing MW to BF, at least as far as multiplayer is concerned. That's like comparing a track racing motorcycle to a rally car.

Both are fast, both are great at what they do, but they aren't the same thing so stop trying to compare them.

You might as well compare Bioshock to Fallout 3 (I've not played Bioshock 2 so I can't say).

As for who did "modern" first. Battlefield was first with Battlefield 2 in 2005, or perhaps with the mod "Desert Combat" for Battlefield 1942 released in 2004 though that wasn't created by DICE. I'm not saying BF was the first ever, just the first of these two.

Of course, I would have preferred if they had stayed in the future like with Battlefield 2142 (released in 2006), that was the best... Mmmmm... battle mechs, hover tanks, Titan maps and 64 player servers...

I can see it now, Call of Duty 6: Future War! heh...

Uh Oh... this is pushing the TL;DR threshold...

Shadow-Fox

Nov 11, 2009
Way to go Yahtzee! I definitely wanted to know that detail about your penis -.-
now thats an image i wont be getting out of my head for a while

Eremiel

Apr 24, 2008
Infernal_Me said:
Single player was cool but the MP was god awful.
Anyone else see the irony of the AD for BFBF2 overlaying the video while watching him rip into it?
Had the exact opposite reaction myself. SP was fairly meh, MP is amazingly awesome.

DoctorObviously

May 22, 2009
Thank you Yahtzee, thank you for still being the best reviewer in the world by pointing out what's truly wrong with a game.

Kinguendo

Apr 10, 2009
Didnt anyone else expect him to say something about Michael Atkinson? :eek:

I was anticipating it through the entire video... but it never happened.

Ah, well... at least he doesnt like Bad Company 2.

And by the looks of it he didnt play the multiplayer which probably would have infuriated him to no end... thats the part of the game that angered me the most by far.

Winnn

Mar 24, 2010
I agree that Yahtzee's "reviews" are no longer the insightful, reliable and incidentally hilarious commentaries they used to be. I literally don't trust his opinion of games any more, because he seems to have sold his soul to the cheap laugh.

I also agree that it's time he stopped judging mutliplayer games based on their single-player portion. He should either earn his money by getting over his aversion to interaction with other people, or go back to reviewing strictly single-player games.

Lemon Of Life

Jul 8, 2009
HK_01 said:
Yeah, he really should've reviewed FFXIII, but I liked the bit with the sparrow.

Winnn

Mar 24, 2010
And you can't criticise a game for its genre.
Hating on BC2 for having the elements of a realistic fps.. you may as well criticise Mario Bros. for repetitive gameplay.

obisean

May the Force Be With Me
Feb 3, 2009
josh4president said:
Fox News jokes, Yahtzee? Seriously?

I don't want to pretend that a news network - or indeed anything - is supposedly above being mocked, but I've already heard every Fox News joke there is! Multiple times! From utterly unrelated sources!

Surely there must be something in the opposite hemisphere worth mocking beyond Mr. Atkinson, if only for the sheer thrill of hearing something new.

On second thought, just mocking Mr. Atkinson more would also be perfectly acceptable. That bizarre fellow is going to be out of the limelight before too long and it would be a shame to waste the time remaining. It is so rare to find someone who can legitimately earn universal scorn from all sides that it will be almost a shame to be rid of the brain-addled bloke.

*ALMOST*
He already stepped down. So, lime light gone.

Winnn

Mar 24, 2010
Kinguendo said:
And by the looks of it he didnt play the multiplayer which probably would have infuriated him to no end... thats the part of the game that angered me the most by far.
But that's exactly the point: the multiplayer interface of this game has serious issues and gamers would benefit from Yahtzee's discussion of them.

1337mokro

Dec 24, 2008
Well I agree so far with this review. The Singleplayer is forgettable, but really Yahtzee you died 50 times in that mortar sequence when all you had to do was walk in a straight line behind the black guy (forgot his name)? Guess we will attribute that to your poor sense of direction.

However BFBC2 is bought solely for the MP and that part is as solid as a Sniper slug to the head.

I had GREAT fun moving with my squad capturing, taking and holding objectives and the destructo cover is hilarious when for example you launch a grenade at the wall and your squad mates pour in through the very useful hole obscured by dust and surprise an enemy squad with a gift of lead.

There are of course issues, the Russian tanks have so much bloom your blinded by dust clouds and can hardly see the enemy when they already see you and since bullets drop with gravity anything in the slightly bloomy area when zoomed in with a sniper rifle is a tricky shot, which stems the sniper spam of older games a bit though if your really good you can still hit enemies regardless of distance long as you can see em.

So in all if your an MP fan get this, especially for PC because if you bought MW2 your both a sucker for COD and probably bored with it by now.

PS: The Engineer can carry 3 weapons, a pistol and MG and an RPG :)

MonkeyPunch

Feb 20, 2008
I think Yahtzee needs some easier games to play ^^
He doesn't ever seem to get to grips with FPS'.

Piecewise

Apr 18, 2008
How many of these types of games do we have again? War based shooters with an emphasis on multiplayer?

Can't we get something single player focused or something entirely different? Just Cause looks hilarious but needs a jet pack.

Sep 4, 2009
Coincidentally I decided earlier this week I'd get Duke Nukem 3D from GOG. I want strippers, jetpacks and weapons that kill in amusing and farcical ways.

Be glad I don't look for these things outside of computer gaming.

Eremiel

Apr 24, 2008
Opacic said:
We unfortunately have a little crossover from MW2 players, thinking that KD ratios actually matter in this game.
Amen. I play as a medic and I'm one of those people who feel the chest paddles and healthkits are more vital to my class than the machinegun is.

Got mocked by a recon on an enemy team for having a 3/3 K/D in a game of Conquest and thus being a complete noob. I was at the time the highest scoring person on my side and had attained three medical ops pins. Meaning I had resurrected at least 21 people and given my team back TWENTY ONE TICKETS. We won that game with 12 tickets remaining. We had lost if it weren't for me.

K/D doesn't really matter much.

uberDoward

Jan 22, 2010
The Cake Is Annoying said:
Coincidentally I decided earlier this week I'd get Duke Nukem 3D from GOG. I want strippers, jetpacks and weapons that kill in amusing and farcical ways.
Amen to that. Whatever happened to enjoying an FPS?

Fappy

\[T]/
May 1, 2020
Country
United States
I agree wholeheartedly. Since when did realistic = fun? Some of the best shooters are the best shooters because they made the game fun first and focused on realism second (if at all).

Tolerant Fanboy

Aug 5, 2009
I wasn't interested in getting this game to begin with, so I just watched it to listen to funny British man complain.

I was not disappointed. :D

AfterAscon

Tilting at WHARRGARBL
Nov 29, 2007
I surprised people are getting so up themselves about the fact he didn't review multiplayer, something which he openly admits he doesn't do.

Also the purpose of the bad company series was to introduce a single player experience, the fact that people decide to buy it for the online component doesn't excuse the single-player. I bought B:BC2 for both aspects, I enjoyed the last games single player and this one really let me down, however, the multiplayer is slightly better.

jhy4f9

Nov 9, 2009
So, looks like Yahtzee didn't quite realise that the plot was basically a parody of Modern Warfare 2, and intentionally stole and liberally borrowed the same tropes from across the industry, pausing only to add the explodable buildings. The Battlefield series has never ever pretended to have a decent plot, unlike MW2, and so, because of this and the lame AI, it's a game completely unsuitable for Yahtzee to review.

As for the mortar bit, you needed to stand where the black guy was standing behind cover. I tried to run through it twice before I listened to him shout "get to cover and wait for a break in the barrage" and instantly knew what to do.

The one real area I feel Yahtzee was right was with the really rubbish AI. They know precisely where you are, have ridiculously accurate shotguns but are also incredibly dumb, since they're of the "stand in the open and shoot" variety. Then again, doesn't this just add to the conclusion that the SP is just a bit of silly fun?

Dexiro

Dec 23, 2009
Not the best episode but it wasn't too bad :p
I was probably focusing too much on my psp instead of listening to what he was saying.

Sep 4, 2009
uberDoward said:
I blame the multiplayer bandwagon. I think the original bitching about realism had to come from arguments like "The only reason you won is because you exploited x" or whatever.

And then the marketing department read it and then the strippers and shrink ray and other mighty foot were gone. F*&K YOU marketing department!

And who says if aliens invade there won't be a surge of demand for strippers? I for one would welcome the distraction.

Dec 16, 2009
oh dear, really that bad?
he's right about FPS's. nothing wrong with realism, but why do it in every game, bring back Serious Sam

kuposenpai

Nov 23, 2009
would it not be more fun to go out somewhere with friends in a closed off area and go bat shit crazy with nerf guns?

Not G. Ivingname

Nov 18, 2009
This is another case of a game made around multiplayer with the single player tacked on the last minute. The entire battlefield series up to the original bad company was entirely about multiplayer and DICE still has not gotten the single player right.

Also, just about everything this game does/doesn't do is because MW2 did/didn't do it. Think about it, what has the game done that either is straight off a rip off to Modern Warfare 2 or highly hyped because it isn't doing it? They stuffed the fact that PC's have dedicated servers and that the game is "single play focused" (which it isn't really) while forgetting to mention the story, pacing and even a good deal of the locations are in the realm of "Painting a stolen car to sell it back to the owner."

DanHibiki

Aug 5, 2009
On the plus side, when Russia takes over video games like STALKER will not only be the norm but also the reality.

Caiti Voltaire

Feb 10, 2010
meditator101 said:
Yes, no kidding, but we do have to remember that people praising entirely shit games is nothing new to the world of games.

I don't think BC2 is a bad game, but its nothing new and the few new things (DUUUUUSSSST) are entirely unhelpful and annoying. I really do wish that people would realise that realistic dickery in games is still dickery.

Abedeus

Sep 14, 2008
God... what next, you will review WoW without mentioning the multiplayer? You will review it based on your experience at the login screen and game's options?

THIS IS BATTLEFIELD. MULTIPLAYER IS 95% OF THE GAME.

He's complaining about dust in a realistic game? That's like complaining that a shounen anime has too many fights! Or a comic book has too many pictures.
remm2004 said:
I was expecting FFXIII, I want to see Yahtzee tearing it a new one, but oh well
So Bad Company 2 is as generic as it?s cover?
Yes, the single-player is generic.

Multiplayer-focused game.

Thank you very much.

canadamus_prime said:
Oh yeah and Yahtzee, that bit at the end of the credits was more information than I needed, thanks.
Try watching an actual review instead of a parody (ZP), with video footage of the gameplay. Then watch a MW2 video. Of multiplayer, of course.

Then dare to say they are the same.

A Pious Cultist

Jul 4, 2009
After playing the snow and desert levels which, although awesome, obscure your view with a ton of perma dust. Wouldn't be so bad if enemies didn't keep their 20/5 vision.

Abedeus

Sep 14, 2008
Thibaut said:
Thank you Yahtzee, thank you for still being the best reviewer in the world by pointing out what's truly wrong with a game.
He's not a reviewer. How can you call it a review, where you forget to talk about 95% of the game?

ioudas omnis

Jul 2, 2008
Sometimes I forget that video games are incredibly serious business. Thank you, random strangers on the Internet, for reminding me.

As far as the review goes, I'm with a lot of the others in saying that, while he didn't review the multiplayer (as he has openly stated that he never does) he didn't really... tell us anything about the game other than there was a lot of dust and things were kind of ridiculous and like every other game of its type in that regard. And as someone who currently can't play online (I have a Mac, no wireless connection to my 360, and a Silver account) I'm infinitely more concerned with the single-player aspect of games, than multiplayer. So, this would have been a beneficial review for me, had I been told anything.

DTWolfwood

Better than Vash!
Oct 20, 2009
omg thanks for pointing out the ridiculous glare, dust and smoke. This game has way too much it. and no its nothing like MW2 other than the progressive unlocks.

sooperman

Partially Awesome at Things
Feb 11, 2009
NotVeryOriginal said:
Please stop comparing MW to BF, at least as far as multiplayer is concerned. That's like comparing a track racing motorcycle to a rally car.

Both are fast, both are great at what they do, but they aren't the same thing so stop trying to compare them.
I hold a similar opinion. Yahtzee's recent slump into crippling single-playerhood aside, Bad Company and Modern Warfare need to stop being compared.

Modern Warfare looks and acts realistic, Bad Company is. Modern Warfare knows what guns are, Bad Company knows how they work. Modern Warfare is less realistic than Bad Company, though that doesn't have to be a bad thing.

People play Modern Warfare for many of the same reasons that one would play Bad Company, but I prefer BC for the subtle differences. Like actual realism as opposed to implied realism, destructible scenery, and vehicles. The small differences draw a very fine line, a line that is not to be blurred.

kuposenpai said:
would it not be more fun to go out somewhere with friends in a closed off area and go bat shit crazy with nerf guns?
It sure would.
And good news! It only costs five-six times as much as buying a video game!

Math. Do it next time. Thank you.

scout48

Nov 25, 2008
Wow, Mosaic Filter.... WOW. oh, and the only part I like about this game is it was free (a gift) and the multi-player isn't bad... company

sooperman

Feb 11, 2009
scout48 said:
Wow, Mosaic Filter.... WOW. oh, and the only part I like about this game is it was free (a gift) and the multi-player isn't bad... company
I see what you did there.

Pendragon9

Apr 26, 2009
Good review Yahtzee.

This is why I hate every single shooter being made. None of them appeal in any way because they're all a bunch of ripoffs of a bad genre. :/

Char-Nobyl

May 8, 2009
Abedeus said:
God... what next, you will review WoW without mentioning the multiplayer? You will review it based on your experience at the login screen and game's options?

Boo-hoo. I guess asking for games that bother to put in a single player mode not to half-ass them is too much for them to handle. I mean, it's not like they could release a game that's only based on multiplayer and focus solely on making that good.

Ah, wait a second. They already did that. It starts with a 'C' and ends in 'ounterstrike.'

Abedeus said:
He's complaining about dust in a realistic game? That's like complaining that a shounen anime has too many fights! Or a comic book has too many pictures.
Possibly...except that Bad Company plays as if every environment is just recovering from a dustbowl, and every square foot of ground is lightly piled dust just waiting to go flying into the air. That's not how the real world works. You don't replicate the dust cloud from 9/11 every time you blow a hole in a brick wall.

Char-Nobyl

May 8, 2009
sooperman said:
kuposenpai said:
It sure would.

Don't forget that you also pay five times the cost to do it once.

Canadamus Prime

Robot in Disguise
Jun 17, 2009
Abedeus said:
canadamus_prime said:
Try watching an actual review instead of a parody (ZP), with video footage of the gameplay. Then watch a MW2 video. Of multiplayer, of course.

*sniff sniff* I smell a fanboy.

Supernova2000

Shivan Sympathizer
May 2, 2009
"Realistic" shooters in general should be thrown into a black hole! Every time I've played a "realistic" game, I've found the inevitable UN-realistic bits all the more glaring. Lets have a game about a kangaroo fighting off space marines with a gun that shoots parsnips (aka rotten carrots) and whose pouch stores not a baby kangaroo but a supply of mines, which when detonated, punch the obnoxious marines into the skybox with boxing gloves made out the heads of other space marines.

Games just take themselves far too seriously nowadays!

Mechanix

Dec 12, 2009
I disagree.

Having a big mustache will allow you to survive any mortar hit, because it's a god damn mustache.

Iamjacksego

Feb 12, 2010
Wait, wait, wait.

So, he reviews Borderlands, a game with arcadey damage models where you can carry a ridiculous amount of guns and your health regenerates back to perfection in seconds, and he says it's a pile of rubbish.

Now, he reviews BC2, and he complains that he wishes there was a game where you could carry a ridiculous amount of guns and your health regens in seconds.

It seems like the man is impossible to please. Literally, impossible to please. The videos are amusing, but anyone basing their purchases off of Yahtzee's recommendations is crazy or a total fanboy. BC2 was a fun game, single-player and multi-player. I definitely enjoy the multiplayer more, but the single was a fun experience, and well fleshed-out on its own. Everyone complaining about a multiplayer game that foregoes a good single player game is talking out of their kiester. Both BC2 and MW2 had excellent single-player campaigns that worked very well in addition to stellar multiplayer. If you and you alone say it was bad and tens of millions of players respectfully disagree, I would say you're not the sort of person worth marketing to anyway.

Baradiel

Mar 4, 2009
He made some good points, like the mortar bits. However, while no where near as funny as the first one, the character relationships are still pretty funny. It might be lacking the brilliant story of chasing a truck of gold while invading a neutral country, fighting Russians, Mercenaries and Serdaristanians, with an egotistical-yet-naive dictator and the mercenary leader who survived the last game but made no appearance in the sequel, it has it's moments.

Also, the Battlefield series has ALWAYS been about multiplayer. While games like COD have a multiplayer network that has more users than Crack cocaine the singleplayer, while ridiculous in the extreme, at least can stand alone.

I wouldn't call Yahtzee narrowminded but... well I would call him narrowminded, actually. Bad Company 2 is all about the multiplayer,which is what Battlefield games are. By just reviewing the singleplayer, which isn't that great, it doesn't give a MULTIPLAYER-DOMINATED game a chance. For once, it would have been beneficial for Yahtzee to brave the hordes of whining kids to actually experience the game as it's supposed to be experienced.

Funny review, regardless.

sooperman

Feb 11, 2009
Char-Nobyl said:
sooperman said:
kuposenpai said:
It sure would.

Don't forget that you also pay five times the cost to do it once.
Actually, no. You usually end up only paying the cost of a video game every time you want to play Nerf guns to replace the darts you lost. Unless, or course, you are playing indoors, in which case you might as well be playing laser tag or, let's not forget, video games.

Play Nerf guns if you want, I'm not going to bash them or flame you. I just hope you have the cash for that.

Abedeus

Sep 14, 2008
Char-Nobyl said:
Abedeus said:

Boo-hoo. I guess asking for games that bother to put in a single player mode not to half-ass them is too much for them to handle. I mean, it's not like they could release a game that's only based on multiplayer and focus solely on making that good.

Ah, wait a second. They already did that. It starts with a 'C' and ends in 'ounterstrike.'
So your argument is that "if SP is bad, don't put it in at all"? Quit while you're ahead?

Battlefield has been a multiplayer-focused game since the beginning. Not reviewing the multiplayer part is like saying "Oh, Team Fortress 2? Crappy game, bots are stupid and it's very hard to play on your own!!! And no tutorials!!"
Abedeus said:
Possibly...except that Bad Company plays as if every environment is just recovering from a dustbowl, and every square foot of ground is lightly piled dust just waiting to go flying into the air. That's not how the real world works. You don't replicate the dust cloud from 9/11 every time you blow a hole in a brick wall.[/quote]

Have you played the game at all? I don't think I had to wait more than 10 seconds for the dust to settle.

And you can manage just fine if your recon can spot targets for you... Oh, wait, we're still talking about SP?

canadamus_prime said:
Abedeus said:
canadamus_prime said:

That's you. Yahtzee is not really a serious reviewer. He's an entertainer.

Also, you didn't bother to respond to the "no multiplayer review" argument.

awatkins

Oct 17, 2008
I played the first one a while ago and even though it was sorta amusing to break all the buildings, the support cast pissed me off EVERY time they had to talk. Their personality traits were worst than a horrible human malfunction offspring between Steven Harper and Gille Duceppe.

Double A

Jul 29, 2009
This is the one time where I will excuse a game for good multiplayer.

Knifewounds said:
Dust! Yahtzee's new arch nemesis
Someone outlaw QTEs when I wasn't looking?

Tarik94

Sep 13, 2008
really good review, but i was expecting you to talk about the fucked up anti tank weapon who shoots altillery projectiles and the fact that YOU CAN'T FUCKING PRONE!!!!!!!!!

sbrff

Feb 26, 2010
what...does mass effect use that re-generating health? O_O
That was one if the few things i loved about ME 1, that it was difficult!
Ah, what a shame!

But some games are good with re-generating health, like saints row, just cause, assassins creed....those types of games, not FPS. They are getting way to easy theis days! =/

BloodSquirrel

Jun 23, 2008
uberDoward said:
Good question.

I'm sitting over here, enjoying BC2 while everybody else is too caught up apeing Yathzee and pretending that being bitchy all the time makes them look cool. What happened?

Char-Nobyl

May 8, 2009
sooperman said:
Actually, no. You usually end up only paying the cost of a video game every time you want to play Nerf guns to replace the darts you lost.
I said you pay for a video game once. You pay large amounts of money to play Nerf at an arena, not to mention buy the guns, replacement darts, etc. And you need to do that each time, except for the gun, and unless you...hell, rent it, I guess, if it's anything like paintball.

sooperman said:
Unless, or course, you are playing indoors, in which case you might as well be playing laser tag or, let's not forget, video games.
I can actually hear the whistle as the actual content of my post whizzed over your head.

sooperman said:
Play Nerf guns if you want, I'm not going to bash them or flame you. I just hope you have the cash for that.
I see. So you've got both poor reading comprehension *and* a holier-than-thou douchey attitude. You're a real winner.

awatkins

Oct 17, 2008
Abedeus said:
Thibaut said:
He's not a reviewer. How can you call it a review, where you forget to talk about 95% of the game?
If you don't like the format that Yahtzee presents HIS internet videos than don't watch them. Simple as that, when I dont like whats on the radio I put a CD on and when I go down town on a Friday night I stick to Irish Pubs instead of Dance Clubs. Why? Because I don't subject myself to something that I'll spend the next fortnight complaining about.

Anticitizen_Two

Jan 18, 2010
Thank God someone else dislikes this game. Admittedly, Yahtzee hates almost everything, but still. My friends are gigantic FPS thickies to the point where they play no other genres, and they think that the multiplayer is amazing. I look at it and I fail to see what makes it different from any other damn shooter.

Abedeus said:

I, personally, fail to see any major difference.

Char-Nobyl

May 8, 2009
Abedeus said:
Char-Nobyl said:
Abedeus said:

So your argument is that "if SP is bad, don't put it in at all"? Quit while you're ahead?
Since you love gross oversimplifications, I'll use a real-world parallel: if you can cook an amazing steak dinner, there's no logical reason you should be compelled to take a dump on a plate and serve it as an appetizer. It will only hurt your reputation, no matter how amazing a cook you are otherwise, and people are well within their rights to call that 'meal' the piece of shite that it is.

Abedeus said:
Battlefield has been a multiplayer-focused game since the beginning. Not reviewing the multiplayer part is like saying "Oh, Team Fortress 2? Crappy game, bots are stupid and it's very hard to play on your own!!! And no tutorials!!"
Except that Team Fortress 2 doesn't try and pretend that it offers an amazing single-player experience. It knows what it is, and has no illusions to the contrary. Unlike Battlefield, apparently.

cocoadog

Oct 9, 2008
There is dust because the maps are massive and its hard for a game to generate terrain 3 miles away. bfbc2 > mw2.

Therumancer

Citation Needed
Nov 28, 2007
Hmmm, well Yahtzee you might want to take a look at what Russia has been up to "recently. Starting with the fact that they decided to attempt to assasinate a pro-American/Western Democracy leader in Ukraine during an election. Then of course we've got the entire Georgia incident, which lead to them cutting off the fuel pipeline to the EU just to prove that they could, and threatening Poland with nuclear annihilation for hosting defensive missle bases that would you know... make it harder for them to threaten Europe as a whole with nuclear annihilation.

It's not really the "Right wing paranoids" that are a problem, it's more of a left wing "peace at any price" crowd that seems to remain blissfully oblivious to what is going on with China and Russia. The kinds of people that have nations going "who cares about what is actually going on, and the long term effects, as long as we can benefit from trade and up our standard of living a bit right now".

I think labeling this kind of thing as "immature power fantasy" is a bit of a problem. Sure it *IS* propaganda of a sort, but at the same time wars and frequently won and lost based on propaganda, and ironically that is actually where we are heading.

dryg

Feb 8, 2009
Arrhghrghrh

Why does people even play the single player? Its a multiplayer game, like every Battlefield before it.
Also, if you fail at the multiplayer, get some friends and play as a squad. Usually one organized squad dominate the enitre match.

Canadamus Prime

Robot in Disguise
Jun 17, 2009
Abedeus said:
canadamus_prime said:
Abedeus said:
canadamus_prime said:

That's you. Yahtzee is not really a serious reviewer. He's an entertainer.

Also, you didn't bother to respond to the "no multiplayer review" argument.
No, not I. You're the one making a federal case out of this.

Iamjacksego

Feb 12, 2010
Char-Nobyl said:
Abedeus said:
Char-Nobyl said:
Abedeus said:

Since you love gross oversimplifications, I'll use a real-world parallel: if you can cook an amazing steak dinner, there's no logical reason you should be compelled to take a dump on a plate and serve it as an appetizer. It will only hurt your reputation, no matter how amazing a cook you are otherwise, and people are well within their rights to call that 'meal' the piece of shite that it is.

Abedeus said:
Except that Team Fortress 2 doesn't try and pretend that it offers an amazing single-player experience. It knows what it is, and has no illusions to the contrary. Unlike Battlefield, apparently.
at what point does BC2 "pretend to offer an amazing single-player experience"? Have you even read the box? Did you read the reviews? Did you read the previews and first impressions? This game has been billed as a multiplayer ticket since the beginning. It's a multiplayer game where the single player serves to introduce you to various weapons and mechanics that you'll be using regularly in multi, such as mortar strikes, vehicle combat, destructible cover, and sniping/spotting. Personally, I'm glad they included a way to familiarize yourself with the mechanics in a way that includes a plot and occassionally amusing NPCs so that when you hit multi, you do it at a brisk stride instead of a crawl. It's better than nothing, to be certain; just ask anyone who's hopped into their first CS game.

Anticitizen_Two said:
Thank God someone else dislikes this game. Admittedly, Yahtzee hates almost everything, but still. My friends are gigantic FPS thickies to the point where they play no other genres, and they think that the multiplayer is amazing. I look at it and I fail to see what makes it different from any other damn shooter.

Abedeus said:

I, personally, fail to see any major difference.
If you call your friends "gigantic FPS thickies", I question whether you've played enough FPSes to distinguish the difference between MW2 and BC2. MW2 features fast, frenetic combat in tight areas, while BC2 features much greater implementation of tactical approaches and teamwork. Everyone has a job in BC2, and you will lose if most of your team isn't doing their job correctly. Recons spot and mortar, medics fix you up, engies handle vehicles, and assaults handle ground troops. If you took out all of the vehicles, cut the maps by a quarter of their size, and removed all of the kits but assault, only then would BC2 be the same as MW2. And none of this is mentioning that the destructible cover brings a great deal of tactical consideration to attacking objectives. Simply protecting an enclosed objective isn't enough when a rival team can use tank artillery to simply bring the building down on top of it, and mortar strikes/air support can turn an entrenched force's cover into a clearing if properly used. Those simply aren't options in MW2.

VGFreak1225

Dec 21, 2008
No surprise here. Everyone has said that the single-player campaign wasn't all that great, and since everyone praises it for the multiplayer, Yahtzee wouldn't give a crap. Well, I guess I'll be passing this one for the time being.

Deathfish15

Nov 7, 2006
Yahtzee Croshaw said:
Battlefield: Bad Company 2

This week, Zero Punctuation reviews Battlefield: Bad Company 2.

Watch Video
So, but this time I've got to say that you're absolutely WRONG, Yahtzee. Sure, there are many similarities with Modern Warfare 2, but there are much more difference in it that makes it a so much more better game overall. For example, why give a player many, many explosives if you cannot use them because you enemy is hiding in a house behind a wall that you cannot reach; with BFBC2, all one has to do is grenade, C4, or whatever else to blow that wall up and then the enemy is a sitting duck.

Also, you must play the online parts. I know, I know, you hate online games and would much rather LAN something with a bunch of your sailor....er, your buddies, but trust me. There's a significant difference between MW2's grenade+knife throwing spammy small mapped matches and BFBC2's large maps of chaotic fights with vehicles, bullets, explosives, destruction, insanity, and just good ol' fun.

P.S. In the multiplayer, you can either defibrillate an enemy to death or use a repair tool to drill their skull....HOW IS THAT NOT FUN?!

Edit:
Did anyone find that the whole "he's a double agent who's father was the guy you played in the first level of the game during WWII who was sent to die by his own government" thing to be so twisty that it felt like something M. Night Shamalan wrote it?

Abedeus

Sep 14, 2008
awatkins said:
Abedeus said:
Thibaut said:
If you don't like the format that Yahtzee presents HIS internet videos than don't watch them. Simple as that, when I dont like whats on the radio I put a CD on and when I go down town on a Friday night I stick to Irish Pubs instead of Dance Clubs. Why? Because I don't subject myself to something that I'll spend the next fortnight complaining about.
I like his videos. I just don't treat them seriously. Like pretty much anyone who has been here for a longer time, I know that his "reviews" aren't worth a diddly.

Char-Nobyl said:
Yes, Battlefield, the multiplayer-focused series should be only reviewed by looking at its single player. You are absolutely right.
Anticitizen_Two said:
Maybe because you only look at it. Try playing a sniper after 10 years of multiplayer gaming, but forgetting that any Engineer, Assault or any of the vehicles can not just destroy the wall you are hiding behind, but also collapse the entire building on you.

RUINER ACTUAL

Oct 29, 2009
I would consider getting BC2 if they weren't being such arrogant assholes about the game. They make fun, moch, and try to one-up MW2 at every corner. Sorry, how much have you borrowed from the Modern Warfare series and you still feel you're better then it? Shut the fuck DICE.

BoldBaldBastard

Aug 19, 2009
Shame he didn't try the multiplayer bit.. then he could moan about the knife being like a nuclear enhanced light saber. That could cut down the emperor, darth vader and the entire jedi council in a single swing. The real problem of the game! Though the dust is spot-on too, i guess.. i haven't touched singleplayer of this game though. And Mr Y. is really obsessed with only trying the single player bits.

Anticitizen_Two

Jan 18, 2010
Iamjacksego said:
I've found the kits in Bad Company 2 to be incredibly ineffective as a system. All of them are quite capable of killing people, which really detracts from them each having their own specific job. It starts to get a lot closer to simply choosing your primary weapon, which is exactly how the class system in MW2 works. Also, the fact that you can pick up kits completely ruins the entire system for me. For an example of a good class system, I would point to the Team Fortress series, although primarily TF2. I've never been a fan of how the Battlefield series operated its kits. And while it's true that the maps are larger than the ones in MW2, my experiences have led me to conclude that there's not much more strategy to be had. People do travel in packs a bit more, but there's no coherent sense of teamwork that is so prevalent in, say, Counter-Strike. Sure, it appears to be there; there are medics and ammo packs, but when it comes down to it they're not necessary. Health regenerates and you very rarely find yourself low on ammo (at least from my experience). The core gameplay of the two games is incredibly similar: in both of them one man is able to rack up kill after kill after kill if they're skilled enough. That's not necessarily a bad thing, but there's not enough of a focus on the collective team to truthfully label BC2 as being that much more focused on the collective.
Abedeus said:
Maybe because you only look at it. Try playing a sniper after 10 years of multiplayer gaming, but forgetting that any Engineer, Assault or any of the vehicles can not just destroy the wall you are hiding behind, but also collapse the entire building on you.
Well, I worded that poorly. I have played the game. For my exact complaints about the game you can read my above response.

Yahtzee Croshaw

Aug 8, 2007
I wasn't bothered by any of the visual distractions (dust, faded distance, etc.) whenever I saw videos of gameplay, but I definitely agree about the realism. I think I might go play some Quake 3 now, maybe some Serious Sam...

VGFreak1225

Dec 21, 2008
Slight side note, why is it that everyone thinks that you shouldn't take Yahtzee seriously? There is a slight difference between a reviewer, and what Yahtzee is trying to be, a critic. The objective of a reviewer is to tell you whether or not it is worth buying or at the very least looking into a game. A critic is supposed to point out all of the flaws and high points in that game. That's why he never says "Buy it" or "Skip it" at the end of his reviews. His objective is to look into a game, and find the flaws, rather than look at the things worth mentioning that are good. Take him seriously, just don't let him be the only factor when you decide on getting a game.

MrNixon21

Oct 23, 2008
Please, Yahtzee, for once in your life, play the multi-player of this game. It's not even the same bloody game when you do. I started playing the MP of this game and haven't once touched the single player. People buy this game FOR the MP. That's the major selling point.

Abedeus

Sep 14, 2008
VGFreak1225 said:
Slight side note, why is it that everyone thinks that you shouldn't take Yahtzee seriously? There is a slight difference between a reviewer, and what Yahtzee is trying to be, a critic. The objective of a reviewer is to tell you whether or not it is worth buying or at the very least looking into a game. A critic is supposed to point out all of the flaws and high points in that game. That's why he never says "Buy it" or "Skip it" at the end of his reviews. His objective is to look into a game, and find the flaws, rather than look at the things worth mentioning that are good. Take him seriously, just don't let him be the only factor when you decide on getting a game.
Because when critic chooses only one thing to mock, and ignores everything that makes the thing great, then the critic is pretty damn bad.

Also, if a 3rd person looked at his video, he wouldn't even know that the game even HAS a multiplayer mode.

Ph0t0n1c Ph34r

Feb 25, 2009
Am I the only one who gets the impression that Yatzhee is acting like the school bully, picking on games that are clearly intended as a multiplayer expierence for their single-player? It's like reviewing a turn based game and yelling at the designers for having slow combat. This isn't the first time either. He did the same for Borderlands and (arguably) MW2. I have noticed him making an exception for a certian zombie-based Valve game. This seems to me as unprofessional of him to do. Anyway, that's my two cents. Not as funny of a video as the Heavy Rain one. I chuckled.

Andronicus

Terror Australis
Mar 25, 2009
Awww, I was hoping he was going to review Final Fantasy XIII, which he is actually playing according to his Twitter. Maybe next week. Can't wait to see him tear it to pieces before my eyes!

Oh, and today's ZP was pretty good too. I'm not much of a shooter fan, so B:BC2 never really interested me to begin with, but I assume Yahtzee knows what he's talking about.

Jack Forge

Sep 8, 2008
the single player experience is, well, mediocre. the multiplayer game on the other hand is much more fulfilling, comparatively.

my only real gripe with the game is that it needs at least a half dozen more well thought out maps that should be applied to all game modes.

the destructible environment is useful in several ways, eliminating cover (trees, sandbags etc) and creating new and interesting entrances to buildings. Both of these aspects alone provide a expanded multiplayer experience, by not forcing you into well known bottlenecks or allowing campers a total field day. several of the multiplayer modes can also be rather simply accomplished with the destruction of the building the objective is in. which turns out to be rather handy.

overall it's more like battlefield and less like MW... several people really tend to forget which came before and which evolved from which.

Doodlebox

Mar 6, 2010
I like this game, quite a bit more than MW2.

Then again, I play Battlefield games for the multiplayer, which Yahtzee doesn't give two shits about.

Mr. Google

Jan 31, 2010
This game is nothing like Modern Warfare...i understand why he didn't like it if he was only playing the single player that was definitely sub par

Ph0t0n1c Ph34r

Feb 25, 2009
CORRODED SIN said:
I would consider getting BC2 if they weren't being such arrogant assholes about the game. They make fun, moch, and try to one-up MW2 at every corner. Sorry, how much have you borrowed from the Modern Warfare series and you still feel you're better then it? Shut the fuck DICE.
You are aware that DICE created a game with modern-day weapons, setting and an unlock/ranking system before Infinity Ward, right? Ever hear of Battlefield 2?

hcig

Mar 12, 2009
russia is used because russia is a good enemy, they are on equal grounds of power, they are kind of mysterious, and they have no mercy
why the hell would you not use russia? who do you want to fight, france? belgium? canada? a small african country? i bet you hate tv shows with a re-occurring bad guy too.

but really? blow their own nuts off if they were handed a real gun? i could have sworn that throughout the world right wingers where known as gun crazy militants who spend every lunch break at the shooting range?
or you know what? maybe he is half right here, most of the fps players ive ever played with still call a magazine a "clip" so ive got to imagine they WOULD blow their own nuts off given a real gun, but ive also got to imagine they were scared of the damn gun, and had a picture of BO on their wall, because its more than a likelihood.

seriously yahtzee, its getting annoying, i cant enjoy these reviews when you put your political shit into them
its like eating a nice sandwich with branston pickle, but about half way through youve discovered that the smarmy prick who made it for you unloaded his spunk into it. i dont like spunk yahtzee. (who am i kidding, this whole community would probably love get get some of that sandwich)

Airsoftslayer93

Minecraft King
Mar 17, 2010
Tbh i really enjoy the game, ive been a huge fan of the series since BF2, and BFBC2 is basically the same, except with the destruction. i love Yahtzee and all of his reviews, he always says something that makes me think instead of just loving or just hating a game, however i think he is wrong on this one. We all know Yahtzee doesnt get a game just for its multiplayer, and i know that this game's singleplayer isn't outstanding, i really hated the mortar sequence, but the rest of it ranged from ok to excellent, some moments of annoyance backed up with moments of brilliance, small details like the squad's conversations give you something to remain interested in during down periods, and this is only DICE's second game with a real single player. anyway, as i said we all know Yahtzee doesnt get a game just for its multiplayer but if you spend long enough on it, and you play with a good team and a good squad then this game is simpley the best multiplayer game ever, not that i wouldnt change anything, but it is really special. woww that was really long.

Anti Nudist Cupcake

Mar 23, 2010
Didn't really tell me much about the game. Is it me or is he becoming increasingly harder to understand? Its like he talks faster after each review, if you could call it a review and not some series of puns that was meant to entertain people.

VGFreak1225

Dec 21, 2008
Abedeus said:
VGFreak1225 said:
Because when critic chooses only one thing to mock, and ignores everything that makes the thing great, then the critic is pretty damn bad.

Also, if a 3rd person looked at his video, he wouldn't even know that the game even HAS a multiplayer mode.
He's already said that that's not why people watch him. He's said in the past that he doesn't enjoy multiplayer very often, and he even said in his Batman Arkham Asylum review, that people don't watch him to see a game get complemented. I would be willing to bet that if you asked him, he'd rather have a developer listen to him, and take his criticism into serious consideration for their next game of the same genre, than to have someone decide on whether to not to buy a game. Especially for a game where the opinions for the single-player campaign have mostly ranged from okay, to pretty good, but never truly great. (Slight disclaimer, I haven't played BC2 yet, so I'm just reading from past reviews; this is not my own opinion that I have taken from someone else) And its not like he goes through every review without pointing out the qualities. If you look at several of his past reviews, and actually thought about what he said, it's really not all that damning if you consider everything. To this day Yahtzee's one of the most trustworthy critics I've ever seen in the industry, and its for that very reason.

Mr. Google

Jan 31, 2010
Formica Archonis said:
"Perfectly square-shaped hole". I have to ask: Is Yahtzee exaggerating, or does the game really blow SQUARE holes in things?
HUGE exaggeration

hcig

Mar 12, 2009
Anti Nudist Cupcake said:
Didn't really tell me much about the game. Is it me or is he becoming increasingly harder to understand? Its like he talks faster after each review, if you could call it a review and not some series of puns that was meant to entertain people.
the funny thing is, last week everyone was complaining he was talking slower