Zero Punctuation: BioShock 2

Kagim

Aug 26, 2009
Not G. Ivingname said:
I know it is far to late to make a difference for your Extra Punctuation this week, however, most of the people who commented have missed a point. For all that screamed that the Big Sisters only come after you save/murder the last little sister, they failed to notice the game NEVER tells you this. Not in the hints, not in any audio diary, no where. If my memory serves, 2K said it would be RANDOM, never mentioning that it was a predictable event. So they lied. If they mentioned that, many players would of avoided a Giant Needle "surprise", being able to prepare before dropping of that last sister, and saved you a headache from your annoying fans Yahtzee.
I believe its called pattern recognition. After the second time a big sister explicitly came for me after dropping off the last little sister my brain told me "Hey! I bet she always comes after the last little sister is dropped off!"

For a long time in the past games required you understood pattern recognition. Understanding the nature of the game and learning when who is going to do what. I mean do you need the game to tell you everything about it.

Have every boss just have a pop up that says, "Use gun X on area Y"

Honestly if you can't handle that little amount of thought needed to guess if the first two times you dropped off the last little sister a big sister appeared they always came after the last well... Stay the hell away from older games. Older games like the original metroids and zelda's will likely piss you off when everything isn't laid out in front of you and it takes some figuring out.

Johnny Lunchbox

Feb 15, 2010
Ironically enough, I would purchase, play, and enjoy a BioShock game where you played as the vending machine. (Though not for any reasons you're supposed to purchase, play, and enjoy BioShock games.)

Not G. Ivingname

Nov 18, 2009
Kagim said:
Not G. Ivingname said:
I know it is far to late to make a difference for your Extra Punctuation this week, however, most of the people who commented have missed a point. For all that screamed that the Big Sisters only come after you save/murder the last little sister, they failed to notice the game NEVER tells you this. Not in the hints, not in any audio diary, no where. If my memory serves, 2K said it would be RANDOM, never mentioning that it was a predictable event. So they lied. If they mentioned that, many players would of avoided a Giant Needle "surprise", being able to prepare before dropping of that last sister, and saved you a headache from your annoying fans Yahtzee.
I believe its called pattern recognition. After the second time a big sister explicitly came for me after dropping off the last little sister my brain told me "Hey! I bet she always comes after the last little sister is dropped off!"

For a long time in the past games required you understood pattern recognition. Understanding the nature of the game and learning when who is going to do what. I mean do you need the game to tell you everything about it.

Have every boss just have a pop up that says, "Use gun X on area Y"

Honestly if you can't handle that little amount of thought needed to guess if the first two times you dropped off the last little sister a big sister appeared they always came after the last well... Stay the hell away from older games. Older games like the original metroids and zelda's will likely piss you off when everything isn't laid out in front of you and it takes some figuring out.
When the developers say that one game mechanic is how it is, one hopes they can believe them. 2K said that the Big Sister fights were random, and in game they were not. It is like MGS 2 all over again. If a developer lies about their final product, any problems or confusions should be blamed on them.

oppp7

Aug 29, 2009
I thought that quick time events in Saint's Row 1 were better than the tagging system in Saint's Row 2. I'll still get this game for the achievements, but overall I doubt I'll like it as much as Bioshock.

eatdembeanz

Apr 15, 2009
Actually, playing as a Vending Machine in Bioshock 3 would be kinda fun. Some nitwit tries to hack you? Fill the Pipe Dream board with Alarm panels or make everything red. Why not constantly cause alarms and flood Rapture under a wave of flying deathbots?

Octopusesgarden

Feb 15, 2010
Oh...dammit,and I had just finished bioshock 1 to prepare for the sequel.I wonder if the ending is as shit as the first one.

thewiddy

Mar 14, 2010
Great review, i love it when he slags off writers & creators of the game. Oh and i know why he uses the quadratic equation in his slides when talking about a good sequel to a game, to have a quadratic it must have a square term i.e x^2 therefore the two represents a sequel or implies it. Q.E.D :D.

CopperBoom

Nov 11, 2009
"[playing as the big daddy] ...is like the sequel to Half Life having you play as a Gun Turret"

http://www.escapistmagazine.com/news/view/98925-Portal-2-Details-Leaked
How prescient was that bloody statement?
I mean as soon as I saw the image for the linked post I thought immediately of this review.

CopperBoom

Nov 11, 2009
David_G said:
Hahaha, was that on purpose? When Yahtzee says "You defend the little sister from waves of splicers", "Splicers" is said with the same accent Atlas used in Bioshock.
I hear it too.
It sounds like he does it for every instance of the word.
Intentionally.

xAFROMANx

Dec 5, 2009
bioshock 2 is a great game
good combat (being able 2 use both plasmids and guns is really helpful)
better hacking( the plumbing just got old really fast
and online mutiplayer which can be really fun
i'll admit the plot wasn't the best but it was enough of a reason 2 be a big daddy & back in rapture.
sometimes sequels work because they give people more of what they got before, that's why people love left 4 dead 2 & halo 3

Jian-Li

Mar 24, 2010
Okay I found some flaws with Ben's reviews. First of all the plot thread about how putting the minds of Rapture into one body. You obviously didn't play from beginning to end because late in the game you meet Gilbert Alexander, who received the same procedure as Eleanor was supposed to receive before you ruined Lambs plan. A recording left by him while he was sane reveals how the procedure would work. Second of all about the big sisters attacking you after you rescue a little sister. They are all loyal to and/or controlled by lamb so it makes sense that they will attack you either way. Third is you complaining about the prototype being more efficient than the finished model. Delta is a super soldier with free will and Yahtzee always argues that super soldiers with free will are awful ideas. So in Bioshock the big daddy super soldiers are perfect. Sure they aren't as skilled at combat as they could be but they won't rebel against there creators. The 4th thing I am annoyed with is how he wonders how Eleanor is telepathic. The plasmids are made from adam and Eleanor has a adam producing slug in her stomach so there could be a plasmid possibility that hasn't been discovered. She certaintly wouldn't tell Lamb about her newfound power.

merkaba48

Jan 19, 2009
WickedSkin said:
Should have watched this before I wasted money on Bioshock 2... I also wasted some cash on L4D2. I really should start paying attention to what I'm buying.
If you enjoyed L4D1, then grab the L4D1 modified level packs for L4D2; they are massively more fun than the tame campaigns of L4D2. I think there are about 4 levels in L4D2 that I think are good versus levels, each in different campaigns. It's a bit of a joke.

WickedSkin

Feb 15, 2008
merkaba48 said:
WickedSkin said:
Should have watched this before I wasted money on Bioshock 2... I also wasted some cash on L4D2. I really should start paying attention to what I'm buying.
If you enjoyed L4D1, then grab the L4D1 modified level packs for L4D2; they are massively more fun than the tame campaigns of L4D2. I think there are about 4 levels in L4D2 that I think are good versus levels, each in different campaigns. It's a bit of a joke.
You can say that again, L4D2 was a complete joke :/ I feel ripped off.

Jian-Li

Mar 24, 2010
I think that the third game should used the 2 previous ones as jumping off points. Basically Jack and Eleanor are back, and also the beginning shows 2 scenes. Both of those are flashbacks consisting of Jack's moral choices and Delta's moral choices where you decide what they do which will affect the storyline later on.
The antagonist in the story is Ryan who is now trying to take over the world. You're probably gonna say that Ryan is dead and that Jack left a nine iron jutting out of his skull. Remember how every time that Jack dies he pops out of a vita-chamber alive and well. He's able to use those because he's Ryan's son and Ryan had all the vita-chamber attuned to his DNA and only his DNA, so if Ryan's son can use the chambers then why can't someone with a perfect DNA match use the chambers. The characters you make good will be Ryan's enemies and the players you make bad will be Ryan's allies. Characters from the previous games will also make an appearance.

Anthony Martins

Mar 26, 2010
I've decided it's not okay to decide not to buy a game based on his reviews. However... it is okay to buy a game based on his reviews (O:

OreWaUsopp

Dec 25, 2008
First you use both Discworld games as bad examples under your adventure games rundown in Zak & Wiki, now you impale one of his books. Pratchett hate much?