Zero Punctuation: BioShock 2

Flamingpenguin

Nov 10, 2009
Man, this is unfortunately how I feel. When I beat the game all I could think about was how this one's combat wasa little better, but the story was totally...crap. #1 was an amazing, thoughtful, well put togethor and generally fun game for me, but this one... well I was too hung up on what the hell happened to Tenenbaum, who disappears after 10 minutes of gameplay. They even included that in the trailer... I was so excited too...

If you played the first game for the gameplay, but went back because of the story, this really isn't gonna do it for you.
But if you like killing splicers, it'll do fine.

hariman

Feb 8, 2010
Well, yeah.

But it's fun. Yahtzee's got to accentuate the negative for his reviews, so he doesn't mention that the moral choice system is improved. (OK, so the endings are likely Mother Teresa and Baby eating, but the choices are the new addition.) You can also, you know, PREPARE for battles with big sisters and for harvesting adam.

You can use plasmids and guns at the same time. The drill and the drill charge are loads of fun. The research camera is vastly improved. New enemies, new big daddies and one hell of a WHAM sequence at the end of the game.

Of all the sequels this year, I recommend this one. It's fun. And the story isn't a load of shit like Modern Warfare 2's was.

Doodlebox

Mar 6, 2010
Half Life: Gun Turret sounds pretty good.
It's like a rail shooter, but you don't move. And can get knocked over.

RCFlight13

Jan 13, 2010
Aha! But you see I had seen the video. By combining an Atari 2600 and a squirrel I was able to travel in time, see the full video and return to leave me feedback! Actually no but I did see the video before I commented.

boyvirgo666

May 12, 2009
ok this is going to sound like a fan rant, and yes i am a fan of both yahtzee and bioshock so i think i have to poke at this one abit. Honestly i can see where any problems people can have with bioshock 2 can stem and its a pretty big thing. The Story though is not one of these problems. Its more of a disconnected story acting as a mirror of the first game, not so much a sequel. And iv heard the 'why is the prototype better?' arguement so many times i want to gag. The game was pretty open about why, it was budget cuts and the general fact that dumber big daddies were needed to make sure they didnt go insane when accidents happened.

The game isnt perfect, far from it but it all worked...except for the defending little sister bits. The big sister popping up when you saved them though was easily explained, they were under the control of lamb who didnt want you getting rid of little sisters, and for the damsel in distress talking through the little sisters...yeah that was a 'dont think too hard...adam made me do it...look jingly keys!' but quite honestly worse has been done and if this didnt say bioshock as a title it would have been claimed by yes i even think yahtzee as one of the best games of the year...until fallout new vegas comes out.

The biggest problems you see with yahtzees reviews is because he obviously doesnt review for people who actually spend 3x the normal play trying to find everything in the story, And theres nothing wrong with that. hes funny, witty and is generally spot on. This is the second review i ever disagreed with and the other was his hatred of resident evil which i still say had a great story...if you spend 40 extra hours looking for it...which ill admit is bad game design

boyvirgo666

May 12, 2009
sumguitardude said:
he totally forgot to talk about multiplayer inn this game!
I think the multiplayer was the best part of this game, cuz the story was, meh-.-
i think in borderlands he had something to say about pattern recognition. and the multiplayer was basic. the story was pretty good if you look for the audio tapes

YonderTunic

Mar 4, 2010
"Grr! Your selfless compassion fills me with murder frenzy!" I'm totally gonna randomly yell that out from now on. I love me some random quotes.

Tony2077

Dec 19, 2007
I like bioshock2 and sorry Yahtzee but i think you lost a fan I'll give you one more chance then I'm going. I came here because they were funny but they're not so funny anymore

The_ModeRazor

Jul 29, 2009
I really liked Bioshock 2, because the ending was far better than the first one's, and because the fighting was pretty intense. (even if it was kinda ridiculous- a guy with a wrench takes away half my life with one hit? What the fuck? I'm made of fucking steel!)

Nice rewiev BTW, had meg laughing a couple times.

Westy215

Aug 31, 2009
I wonder something and most likely someone else has mentioned this but I don't have the patience to read through 2000+ comments to see it.

If Yahtzee is constantly nitpicking video games that are good to play but not perfect, (I mean honestly there is not a single game that cannot be nitpicked) does that mean that he has to purposely make himself hate nearly every game he reviews? I think that would suck because the purpose of video games is to enjoy yourself and/or others.

When I watch his reviews I find them funny but mostly I cannot take them seriously because his goal is purely to nitpick the minor details and exploit the main ones. Still a very funny bloke.

S.R.S.

Nov 3, 2009
randomguy425 said:
"Grr! Your selfless compassion fills me with murder frenzy!" I'm totally gonna randomly yell that out from now on. I love me some random quotes.
You should try;

As the exasperated Chinese zookeeper said to the last male panda in the world, 'Fuck That!'

C_ee_X

Oct 12, 2009
That was a nasty one yahtzee! But I actually agree with you.

I also think a prequel would have worked better, maybe at a time where rapture wasn't leaking? or you could live the destruction I dunno...

lol @ the half life ref ;)

Dana22

Sep 10, 2008
Sploicers ? Sploicers !

B2 is awesome, if you played the first time you will love it.

MajoraPersona

Aug 4, 2009
Though I enjoyed the game, I can also understand most of the points. I mean, not everyone follwed Meltzer online, so the emotional impact of his fate is fairly dependent on how much you wanted to enjoy the game before it even came out. On top of which, this is Yahtzee's job; trying to find all the recordings can be tedious if you also have a deadline. I'm not sure which of the four endings he got, but I don't suppose it matters much.

Personally, I'm a bleeding heart; things like Eleanor saving her mother or the little boy that left a rose for a little sister get me to cry like a baby whose candy has just been stolen. But, again, that's not going to hook everyone.

But, if I may point out one thing, it will be this; there is an entire level showing what would happen if someone had everyone else's memories put into them. One of the morality choices depends on whether or not you kill the horribly mutated thing in the tank.

mik1

Dec 7, 2009
I thought the game was great, I can also assume he played on easy which takes away a lot of depth to the gameplay. Regardless the plot is a little messed up, but I do think he would have a better understanding if he picked up more audio diaries.