Zero Punctuation: Black Knight Sword & Hotline Miami

Marik Bentusi

Aug 20, 2010
Just gonna add my curiosity for some FTL into the mix so he'll actually do it.

I have a savegame where I got decent shields + cloak upgrade on the normal ship very early on and I'm afraid to continue and fuck the good fortune up ;_; Damn it, randomness!

Falseprophet

Jan 13, 2009
Simca said:
thanatos388 said:
Has he played FTL? That game was great.
Yeah, I can't wait for a review of FTL, mostly because I'm sure he will hate it and it will be hilarious (even though I love it).
I've been referring to that game as FML, because I can't seem to get past Sector 5 and yet I keep playing it instead of ragequitting in disgust.

Carnagath

Apr 18, 2009
Simca said:
thanatos388 said:
Has he played FTL? That game was great.
Yeah, I can't wait for a review of FTL, mostly because I'm sure he will hate it and it will be hilarious (even though I love it).
Not much to say about FTL really, unless he does a Demon's Souls style video. It's a roguelike, it's ok, the luck factor is too high like playing a slot machine that either produces crewmembers or punches you in the gut... that's pretty much it.

OniaPL

Nov 9, 2010
Regarding Hotline Miami, it's story and ending + the stealth level...

I actually agree with this guy. I'd suggest you watch this video if you have a bit time: while you may not agree with him, I think he has good points.

Errant Signal: Hotline Miami [http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AixOBp15KdI]

Edit: Lol, ninja'd

Something Amyss

Aswyng and Amyss
Dec 3, 2008
Okysho said:
Too bad about the suda 51 game... I like his works...
I really loved the aesthetics of this game and wish that the game itself hadn't been so insufferable. This is the problem with the whole art-v-gaming thing. Often times we get some great artistic qualities with utter crap mechanics.

TheProfessor234

Aug 20, 2010
Keep hearing about Hotline Miami so I guess now it'll be worth checking out for real now.

On a side note, I wonder if Yahtzee will ever change his Escapist profile.

PunkRex

Feb 19, 2010
II2 said:
Good Reviews, as usual. Laughed.

To Yahtzee or anyone else interested, Errant Signal covered HL:M (with SPOILERS) in a rather interesting, if somewhat hyper-academic video:

It's an interesting look at the game and more importantly, it's relationship to the warring spouses of narrative and gameplay. You'll either find it deeply interesting, so deep it's navel gazing out it's own bum, or just a good, academic, compliment to Yahtzee's humorous review.

----

To anyone who is watching these videos or reading this post without having played Hotline: Miami... GO PLAY IT, it's great fun, and incredibly cheap on budget and system requirements.
Nice to see Campster getting some love, the dude has some great vids. I especially like his 'Halflife' one, watching peeps rush to Halflifes defence though is cringe worthy. I get it, its good, now let him finish talking about how Freeman isn't so bloody perfect.

DarkhoIlow

Dec 31, 2009
Was looking forward to more indie vids from you Yahtzee. Glad you chose one from consoles and one from PC to balance things out.

Really enjoyed the hell out of Hotline Miami, everyone should play it!

Remus

Reprogrammed Spambot
Nov 24, 2012
I agree self-checkout machines should be banned. Those machines are taking jobs from honest, hard-working former employees.
Now playing:
Future Armor Slide n Shoot
Killing Dragons with Friends and Cooking (doesn't quite slide off the tongue that one)
"Realistic" WW2 Shooter ohcrapiforgottoreloadSTAB

Atmos Duality

Mar 3, 2010
FTL doesn't seem to have much in terms of humor-potential like the usual ZP fare.
The most prominent thing about it is that it's "Difficulty: Nutpunting" (Normal Mode anyway).

I love the game to death, but at the same time, I don't see much point for Yahtzee to review that when there's a whole slew of games coming out that have far more hilarity-potential.

Yahtzee calls the post-holiday season "Coast-is-clear", but I think "dumping-ground" is much more accurate.
This is the time of the year where all the very worst games get shat out onto the market; games far too shitty for any other time of the year, save maybe Summer.

This is the season we get brown crusty jewels like Amy and Mindjack.

Brainwreck

Dec 2, 2012
'Unspecified criminal organisation' as in 'specifically the Russian mafia' but yeah. I didn't even know you could read shit in the game the first time through.

Mossberg Shotty

Jan 12, 2013
Brilliant episode, Yahtzee has been on a comedic roll lately. I had mixed feelings about Hotline Miami, but I think it just recieved a recommendation?

RetroMenace

Dec 29, 2009
That was an amazing episode, glad to see Hotline Miami getting even more praise, although I did kind of have a question at the end of the video.

I'm wondering which ending Yahtzee was referring to when he talked about the ending to Hotline Miami. Since there are three (Jacket's ending, Biker's ending, and Biker's secret ending) that all fit his description, I'm kind of wondering if he was speaking of one specifically, or all of them, as Yahtzee usually reflects on all the endings in games with multiple endings.

In all honesty, all three of the endings are kind of rubbish, and you only get clarification if you get the secret ending (which you get by collecting Scrabble pieces hidden through the entire game) so I guess his criticism would hold true no matter which one he was talking about.

Crazie_Guy

Mar 8, 2009
Nice nod to FTL

When are you going to get a Vita Yahtzee? I don't mind if it counts as a retro review by the time you get around to Gravity Rush, as long as you actually do at some point.

Darth_Payn

Aug 5, 2009
Another great episode, Yahtzee! shame about Suda51's latest not being up to snuff, even with the Monty Python-esque animation quality. Speak of the devil, did you watch that episode of Fringe where Walter had an acid induced, Terry Gilliam-animated dream sequence?

Astro

Feb 15, 2012
It's a shame that YZ didn't realize Hotline Miami was basically telling him to go fuck himself for expecting a satisfying plot. I think it would've been interesting to hear his thoughts on the idea.

Remus

Reprogrammed Spambot
Nov 24, 2012
Astro said:
It's a shame that YZ didn't realize Hotline Miami was basically telling him to go fuck himself for expecting a satisfying plot. I think it would've been interesting to hear his thoughts on the idea.
That whole idea of "creator inside joke making fun of the audience" is getting a little stale. We've seen it with Cabin in the Woods and Sucker Punch in movies. Some ideas just need to die long before they become cliche.

XDravond

Something something....
Mar 30, 2011
I must eat some fantastic drugs at the moment to counteract some sickens my weak human body stupidly decided to attract.. But I'm pretty sure I remember that little horrid 16bit era game on that console, ehm not that I played it but the cover of it.. and I have a horrid memory this sure does not work out... Brains hurting again...

And I do believe FTL is right up Yathzees alley, die, die again, die, die, get super stuff then die becuse you don't find anywhere to repair the hull, die, die, of last "level" die..., die die die, o my good is it 4 o'clock in th morning I need to go up in 2h today is going to be f*cked at work, just one more time, die....(oh btw that did happen the first time I played FTL...)