Zero Punctuation: Bloodborne - Bloodly Dark Souls

lassiie

May 26, 2013
stringtheory said:
lassiie said:
I agree 10000000000% about the Estus mechanic being gone. Honestly, I thought Estus was one of the best mechanics in Dark Souls and was extremely sad to see it leave. One of the things I loved about Souls games is I never felt like I was FORCED to farm. Maybe I needed just one more level so I farmed an area for a few minutes to get the souls, but it never felt forced.
Eh, I'm on my first playthrough of DS1 and I do feel there's some forced farming if you lose all the required items for an area (Transient curses, humanity etc.), or have to farm for titanite if realize you picked the wrong upgrade path for your weapon.
None of that is forced. Not even transient curses as you can run through that area if you want, or get the jagged blade. Either way, it isn't forced. You can't progress if you can't heal.

Nazulu

They will not take our Fluids
Jun 5, 2008
Huh. I've heard lots about Bloodborne, but nothing about long loading times. That's a sad problem indeed.

Can't they update/fix-up games on the latest consoles now? That's one of the great things about gaming on the computer.

JCAll

Oct 12, 2011
From Software isn't just one game. They also made Enchanted Arms, so that's at least two.
Also, make another Enchanted Arms, that game was fantastic.

Timeless Lavender

Lord of Chinchilla
Feb 2, 2015
Wow despite its problems it seems as though you still enjoyed it. I can't wait to get my copy around summer to play this.

Remus

Reprogrammed Spambot
Nov 24, 2012
Why do so many games wrap swords in bandages? Are the swords wounded? By how some weapons are wrapped, they must be hemorrhaging, on the edge of flatline. See:

Korten12

Now I want ma...!
Aug 26, 2009
Sheo_Dagana said:
It's pointless to complain about and it doesn't make Bloodborne any less of a good game, but I just can't help but feel like the sales for the game would have been even better if it had been published through Bamco again and made available to both systems and PC. I'm sure I'll have a similar complaint when the new Tomb Raider comes out.
Unlikely, since it was SCE Japan Studio who came to FromSoftware with the idea of Bloodborne as they wanted to work together with Hidetaka Miyazaki, as they did with Demon's Souls. Since this is the case, Sony funded most (if not all) of Bloodborne. So this is more of a Bayonetta 2 situation wherein the game wouldn't have been made in the first place.

Bob_McMillan

Elite Member
Aug 28, 2014
Country
Philippines
Man, Yahtzee is so unpredictable. You'd think he'd rip off Hardline's scrotum, be he just gently caressed it. You'd think he lick the armpits of Bloodborne, but he stuck a big "MEH" up it's bumhole instead.

el_emmens

Mar 23, 2009
Bob_McMillan said:
Man, Yahtzee is so unpredictable. You'd think he'd rip off Hardline's scrotum, be he just gently caressed it. You'd think he lick the armpits of Bloodborne, but he stuck a big "MEH" up it's bumhole instead.
But you can realiably count on him hissing at console games from a fortress made of pc towers, and even more when the rear wall is made of single player based story centric games with him directly pointing a canon at multiplayer ANYTHING

I understand that his works are subjective but it's hard to enjoy his works when 8 times out of ten the reviews usually get summed up as "it's not pc so it's shit" the remaining 2 times being split between "this game is just plain terrible and bad and you shouldn't buy it but that's okay since it makes me funnier!" and the oh so very rare "damn son this game is so fucking good I can't stop playing"

Adultratedhydra

Aug 19, 2010
Haru17 said:
Still evading that Monster Hunter 4 Ultimate review...
Except he said all he needed to about the Monster hunter series in MH:Tri. I'm as much of a fan of the series as anyone but really, Review one Monster hunter game You've reviewed them all.

jhoroz

Mar 7, 2012
Nazulu said:
Huh. I've heard lots about Bloodborne, but nothing about long loading times. That's a sad problem indeed.

Can't they update/fix-up games on the latest consoles now? That's one of the great things about gaming on the computer.
They're working on a patch. I'm not holding my breath for miracles honestly, but at least they could change the loading screen into something more visually striking.

draigodragon

Nov 21, 2011
you kidding me!!?

that one bunched up body monster freaked me the fuck out in a disgusting way

Take that back you posh hat bastard :mad: "XD"

Haru17

Mar 1, 2014
Adultratedhydra said:
Haru17 said:
Still evading that Monster Hunter 4 Ultimate review...
Except he said all he needed to about the Monster hunter series in MH:Tri. I'm as much of a fan of the series as anyone but really, Review one Monster hunter game You've reviewed them all.
You do realize that by that logic he's reviewed Dark Souls 4 times now, right?

Dying_Jester

Jul 17, 2014
Funcakes said:
I hear you can install an SSD to the ps4 that fixes loading times, but having to do that for a console is obnoxious. Especially considering consoles are kind of obnoxious to begin with at this point.
From what I heard that just nets you a load time that is MAYBE five seconds faster.

I'm holding out on the hope that Sony will look back a year from now and go 'We could make a ton more money if we ported this to PC now' I'm willing to wait, honest.
That and I really don't want a PS4, not right after I just built a PC and got a Wii U last year.

YodaUnleashed

Jun 11, 2010
The load times don't seem to bother me so much, they're certainly not 40 seconds long, maybe 20 seconds at max, but maybe I'm just more patient than most. And where are all these countless enemies stitched together from various malformed body parts Yahtzee is talking about? I'm right at the end of the game and I can recall maybe four or five enemies out of what must be 30 or 40 (including bosses) that had that sort of design. It's hardly being overused.

What I will agree with is the blood vial farming criticism - going through old areas just to farm resources is not my idea of an enjoyable time and not what makes this game so great and why I play it, so why have it in there at all? Farming for souls to get a few extra levels isn't too bad, as that's progressing my character (though even that sort of grinding I do only a little of when absolutely needed) but farming resources when you had a perfectly workable health mechanic in the Estus flask from Dark Souls? It was the wrong call for definite. Same for the lack of fast-travel between lanterns, it just doesn't make any sense.

Still, its an amazing game, these mistakes only stand out more because of it, which is a good thing. It shows how high-quality every other element of the game is.

Neurotic Void Melody

Bound to escape
Legacy
Jul 15, 2013
marioandsonic said:
Xsjadoblayde said:
Oh deary double post. Thatll learn me for using a phone! (He replies, cautiously through his phone)
Oh, is that why you slapped me twice?

*slap*

There, now we're even.

And no, I'm still not convinced to buy a PS4 because of this one game. Then again, I've honestly never played a Dark Souls game anyway.
The balance is maintained, the circle is complete!
Thy sins have been so humbly served, to savour thy defeat.

Umm, yeah, not sure where I was going with that.

asdfen

Oct 27, 2011
Johnny Novgorod said:
You can tell Yahtzee likes a game when he spends less time talking about its flaws and more about the context (PS4 vs. PC) in which he played it. I don't get where the PC entitlement comes from, by the way. PC has its exclusives, consoles have their exclusives...
its not about entitlement its about being able to enjoy this game in 10 years when psbox3001 comes out that once again not backwards compatible while anyone can still play any pc game ever released on their pc

Def25

Feb 24, 2015
If there was a pc version there wouldnt be any loadscreens....i am not kidding for some reason loadscreens on pc are instant compared to consoles.

Not Lord Atkin

I'm dead inside.
Oct 25, 2008
Rex Dark said:
Dancing skeletons?
Are they spooky and/or scary?
Nah, they're kind of adorable. Even the doll (the local version of the maiden type thing that does all the upgrading for you) points that out. And you can outfit them with silly little hats.

I almost wish I was kidding.

More Fun To Compute

Nov 18, 2008
Remus said:
Why do so many games wrap swords in bandages? Are the swords wounded? By how some weapons are wrapped, they must be hemorrhaging, on the edge of flatline. See:
If you have a sword as ridiculous as that then it makes sense that you couldn't find a proper sheath for it. You would also be too dumb to do more than wrap a few thongs around or be able to form words well enough to ask for help. Because that's one hell of a stupid sword.