Zero Punctuation: Borderlands

Fwee

Sep 23, 2009
I laughed when I saw that Borderlands was the review this week. Personally I liked the game, got bored of it, hated watching my friends play it, borrowed it and got back into it, got sick of it again and bought Saint's Row 2.
The multiplayer (multiplayer gets spell-checked?) seems to only be fun when you're on an even level with everyone else. If you're even 5 levels below someone you do piss-all for damage to enemies and you're begging for help after two hits from anything. And receiving weapons from friends when they're 15 levels above yours feels infuriating. Plus hearing everyone say the same three lines through the entire game gets old in a day. Did the developers even test this game with the sound on?

RenegadeRed

Aug 26, 2008
Well this is my first time writing in to Zero Punctuation to hello to everyone [Shakes hands] and "Ahoy thar!!" to Yahtzee.

I think Yahtzee's strength is his ability to construct great metaphors: both verbal and visual. It's just a sight to behold and his skill at this has been steadily getting better and better: story is a book, grinding is a tread-cycle, setting is the Middle East, item names are arbitrary, enemies are Jason Vorheys, dying = bedridden, alien = space lobster, ego = internet cocks, public multiplayer = monkeyhouse, mcguffin = towtruck, etc etc etc. Every episode is like a brief lesson in metaphor.

Looking forward to more,

-RR

Axikal

Oct 21, 2009
I agree and disagree with some of the complaints. However, to each their own. Was still a funny video to watch. Here's to whichever title you slag next. I'm curious as to your opinion on Dante's Inferno.

Cyrax023

Jun 27, 2009
he reviwed BORDERLANDS!!!!! YAY!!!!!!!!!!!!

i am one of the naggers he was talking about btw.

L4Y Duke

Nov 24, 2007
Yeah, the menus really are a pain in the arse. Even on the 360 version. I can't actually stand the game for extended periods now, because of how trivial it is.

Well, actually since I hit the level cap I can't really get back on it anymore. However, before that I really enjoyed the game.

wiredk

Jun 1, 2008
This isn't the first time I've caught Yahtzee reviewing a game he hasn't played past the first 5 minutes of, and I doubt it'll be the last.

etherlance

Apr 1, 2009
my friends play this all the time and have a go at me because i got rid of my copy.

frankly after that horribly pathetic excuse for an end game boss/story line my heart just broke and i couldn't bring myself to play it anymore.

I mean i was playing that game all week looking forward to finding the treasure in the vault and what happens?.......

a fucking weak arse tentacle rape scene on some woman i don't give a fuck about only then to find out after killing it, that the creature WAS the vault and I get NOTHING other than some crappy loot and a pat on the back from a seeminly unappreciative holographic women (cant remember her name).

yeah cheers for that borderlands that sure was an epic adventure. . . . . .

Vimbert

Aug 15, 2009
To be honest, I would not-so-secretly take pleasure in seeing Yahtzee review FFXIII and watching him going totally apeshit about how much he hates it. Then he could do a review about a theoretical Branston pickle game the week following so he could recover.

Onyx Oblivion

Borderlands Addict. Again.
Sep 9, 2008
What class was he again?

I played solo all the way through as the Siren and had a good enough time.

RTR

Mar 22, 2008
I know you can have a good time when you play with your friends, but if you can't have fun by yourself, something's wrong. I can't remember the last time I played a game that had a great balance of single player and multiplayer (not MW2)

bachterman

Mar 12, 2009
i played through borderlands with a friend of mine, and it was good fun. we leveled up quickly, and finished the game. end.
no farming, no grinding, no boring stuff, etc.

the review was unbiased, but who the fuck cares? i'm not watching zp to be biased.

Auric

Dec 7, 2009
To be honest, i think the only reason they made a single player campaign is just so they can market if off to people without a a decent internet connection.

Its pretty much a multiplayer game, but eh, i don't care.

SeanthePsycho

Nov 11, 2009
Yahtzee made a good point in the sense of why I have to read objectives when they have voice actors to give out the occassional one liner and grunt who can simply to go to X and kill Y. It reminded me of Dead Rising when I had to read the little text that the janitor was giving me while trying to make sure that zombies didn't eat my jugular viens.

And the vehicles didn't help out either since, if I recall correctly, the left stick was used for steering while the right was used for acceleration. But, in all, it was a decent game I beat in roughly a week.

mechanixis

Oct 16, 2009
His analysis of fanboys requests at the beginning was spot-on. I could never tell what all the people nagging him to do Borderlands were expecting.

Archeangel2009

Dec 26, 2009
thank (insert religious figure here) AVP is coming out soon and the demo is awesome, maybe he will review that instead of most of the shite that he's forced to review... just saying

Shadow-Fox

Nov 11, 2009
Zerocyde said:
Shadow-Fox said:
HEY!!
I take pictures of my car's odometer every 10.000 km! Why exactly does that put me on the same level as all these MMORPG trolls? At least I leave the house to do that twice a year!
I thought he was joking, people actually do this? What on earth could possibly be the point?
well go ahaed and use your imagination. I for example just want to have any kind of proof that my car lasted for about double the lifetime others of it's kind usually have.
And if you would just try to think about it rather then just blatantly ask in disbelief, you could probably could think of another dozen reasons.

Joey245

Jan 29, 2009
You'd think the fanboys would have learned by now, if Yahtzee waits this long to review a game, chances are he doesn't like it.

Awesome Review, Mr. Yahtzee.

AlternatePFG

Jan 22, 2010
Although I enjoyed Borderlands with my friends, you basically went over pretty much all of my complaints about the game.

The game was really freaking repetitive, and you did practically face the same enemies over and over again.