Zero Punctuation: Braid

HadesWTF

Jun 4, 2008
Oh you should review Castle Crashers. Because uhh. Its 4000 times better than braid could ever be.

Eldritch Warlord

Jun 6, 2008
Basically what Yahtzee said this week:

"Braid is playable but not good, you have to buy this for the originality of it. If you don't I will hate you."

artemisfox

Aug 25, 2008
GreyPoly post=6.69741.677107 said:
I think a common falsehood about the game industry is that the graphics are the inverse to good gameplay, as if the artists stifle the designers ability to make a game. I work in the game industry and it REALLY has NOTHING to do with budget, staffing, OR bad designers. Its literally the fact you make the game the publisher tells you to... Some dude, in an office, decides the fate of the game, who has NOTHING TO DO WITH MAKING THE ACTUAL GAME. They do their "research" and plan their "marketing" and somehow this gives them the ability to do whatever the hell they want. So really, lets quit this false belief that its the graphics ruining gaming, because honestly, it has NOTHING TO DO WITH IT. Its not even the designers fault, most designers think of a good game idea once a day! And then hate their existence because they will never get to make it. A good game can have good graphics and gameplay, its not an inverse. So if you want to point the finger at how much games suck, because of their lack of ORIGINALITY, or MINDNUMBING GAMEPLAY. BLAME THE PUBLISHERS AND THE BYERS!!!!! The publishers think you are all a bunch of DUMB HALFWITTED MOUTHBREATHING GAMERS that only want tits and guns. Unfortunately, the only way itll change is if people stopped buying HALO, you will never change a publishers mind, all they see is dollar signs.

more truth has never been posted. it's really sad that money has as much power as it does.
and to give an example... who here has seen the NEW third banjo-kazooie game?

cause i RAGED. it went from amazing platforming that got BETTER IN THE SEQUEL.. an original premise ( musical notes and jigsaw puzzles? whoda thunk it ) and they TURNED IT INTO GARBAGE! now its a vehicle shooter game with character models that make them look WORSE THAN THEY DID ON THE N64!!

this new gen stuff to me is truly sickening. you can have the fancy crap, i'll stick to finding old N64 games ps2 games and dreamcast stuff.

(edit) forgot to mention that starcraft 2 is looking more and more like warcraft.. hmmm maybe its because WoW made more money than god? perhaps they want to draw that WoW playerbase into SC (browse the forums for sc2.com no joke the people discussing graphics gameplay elements and unit strengths are WC3 or WoW players some never even played SC )

YYZed

Jun 25, 2008
HadesWTF post=6.69741.680834 said:
Oh you should review Castle Crashers. Because uhh. Its 4000 times better than braid could ever be.
idk, Braid was really good made me think about things and i do enjoy puzzles and that kinda crap. On the other hand Castle Crashers is the fucking shit with friends, hours of laughs on the stupidest of things like the camels on the desert level.

id say castle crashers is better/funner but not by much Braid was still good.

DannyDamage

Aug 27, 2008
MaxMees post=6.69741.682373 said:
Another great video, but i feel that yahtzee has somewhat sold out recently. Oh well he still makes me laugh i guess.
Maybe not sold out. But I'll agree the few episodes before this week's weren't as good as his usual.

Maybe he's just been getting laid more often and he's not as angry as usual. Anyone who knows about artists or writers know they work best when they're miserable, angry or just feeling lower than Madonna's sexual standards...............which is pretty low :D

IMO, If he'd sold out, he's just be raving about all the usual crap that every other magazine/e-zine goes on about giving it 10 out of 10 for having outstanding graphics or something.

Just watch/read "reviews" for ANYTHING, whether it's music, film, tv and the (so called) critiques will just say "buy this, it's ace", without justifying their opinion.........because they're opinion consists of been giving wads of cash, or mountains of product and other free shit.

Payola Scandal anyone?

gretchen8642

Sep 1, 2008
does anyone ever watch other reviews of games after yahtzee posts them to gain some perspective?

[http://dragcave.net/viewdragon/2Wu5]

MaybeTroll

Jun 25, 2008
gretchen8642 post=6.69741.684083 said:
does anyone ever watch other reviews of games after yahtzee posts them to gain some perspective?

[http://dragcave.net/viewdragon/2Wu5]
I do.

R0cklobster

Sep 1, 2008
OMFG... evrything Yahtzee says about games in AUS being overpriced are completely true. The cheapest you can buy COD4 in stores (almost a year after it came out) is $115. PREOWNED!!!!

Someperson

Jul 31, 2005
I'm going to show this to my best friend... whose name is Adrian >D haha *pointless comment*

haxolotl

Jul 24, 2008
This was great; at first I was thinking "man, he's going a little overboard tone-of-voice-wise" but then the review made me laugh more than most. By laugh I mean sort of snort to myself, but that's about as good as you can get out of me.

lukey94

Sep 2, 2008
SeymourB post=6.69741.686525 said:
i miss the old outros/intros :(

this new one looks neat but it doesn't have the "magic"
yeah i prefered the variety of outro/intro music

but Yahtzee still makes me laugh all the same

johnkarakash

Aug 13, 2008
I actually don't mind nitpicks as long as they are labeled as such. Bashing a bad game is good, clean fun. Nitpicking a GOOD game might give the GOOD designers out there a chance to improve their craft and elevate their next game to true greatness.

Even unfair nitpicks are valuable, in a way. If there's a perception of a problem in a game, true or no, then eliminating that perception can be helpful to total game experience. Of course, some things aren't worth the time/effort to eliminate but how can one decide if the complaint is never made at all?