Zero Punctuation: Braid

Surreysmith

Aug 27, 2008
I'm not going to go with the crowd and shower you with praises like "good job", "this was the best yet", "please be my friend and wank in my face" ect ect.
Frankly it wasn't your best work. however I will get my friend Adrian to watch this and laugh as he wets his pants.
By the way I'm from the UK a the closest thing we've got to a beach a large collection of gravel and stones commonly known as Brighton.

SomeBritishDude

Nov 1, 2007
Fantastic Yahtzee. "Nice beaches tax", pure awesomeness. I think the story was the main thing that kept Braid from being excellent rather than pritty good. It felt like someone had taken a sandman comic and riped out a few yellow boxes at random and put them together to make what can barily be called a story. Oh sure, the bits we did get where nice, but together they made fuck all sense.

But whatever, its certainly worth £15

DanRSL

May 14, 2008
I'm a little confused.

I understand that your audience is likely familiar with current games, but this video seems to be specifically tailored to people who have already played Braid and know it very well. Which is typically not the point of a sort of op-ed review because then your audience is moot, but it seems that that was the attitude behind the video anyway - to ultimately get kudos from people you know will give them to you anyway.

So my point is - I have no idea what Braid is based on your video (which as I said I don't expect to have been your motive anyway, but what typically is when looking at a "game review"). All I know is that you have shortsightedly pigeonholed anonymous faces with tired cliches. Boo hoo, retards need to be entertained, Americans suck, etc. etc.

Now after all of that I am not trying to tell you to do or change anything, since that would be unnecessary and selfish, but I would like to suggest a self reflection. Are you running low on your stables of obvious "video game gourmet" opinions and do you want to do anything about that? Far be it from me to tell you to stop doing what will make you money, but people who often tout artistic appreciation are generally sincere, and I would hope you see the irony in using one cliche to attack another. Also, I wouldn't bother at all if I didn't already see creative talent, and I'm afraid I see you succumbing to the webcomic syndrome you yourself outlined in disgust.

All said, I feel you are getting too obvious and less creative. Even last week's review could have been entirely cut and pasted from previous episodes and appear identical. Take a breather, think about your writing and if you want to keep it really fresh, sometimes you have to buy a new bag of baby carrots rather than just reopen the ones you left in the tupperware.

exocel

Jun 2, 2008
did,did yahtzee make a video that was spot on and totally accurate for once?

not saying i dont love his epic trolling, but this was actually a better spot on review than the big name gameing sites have done.

Babeman

Aug 27, 2008
Braid is artistic genious, I think its amazing the number of ways you can interpret the story and the game. To say that the story doesnt intertwine with the game is just being narrow minded. Braid is a smart person's game that doesnt hold your hand and guide you through it *cough* portal *cough*. If you're not patient and observant you won't find your way through the puzzles, like this one game I know where any retard would eventually stumble thier way through the predictable step-on-the-switch puzzles *cough* portal *cough*. At least Blow isn't going to milk out a sequal, proof- "I don?t think a sequel or expansion to Braid would be nearly as good as the original, so I am not going to do it." *cough* PORTAL *cough*..... excuse my cyber cold.

Wengle

Nov 9, 2007
Hm.
I feel that the comment about it being my fault wasn't nessecary. Its fair to say that the problem for all the poo on the games is down to the public buying too much of the rubbish, but most of yahtzee's viewers are gamers who play proper games and occasionally get the casual-person game.
And I myself have only played Gears of War once. Against my own will.

Now tell us your top 5 games of all time you wonderful git.
;D

sunami88

Jun 23, 2008
Good review. The first minute or so had me worried it would be another rant on the community here, but thankfully he pulled it back out and made a very balanced and fair review.

I'm still not in love with the game though. I can't help but shake the feeling I played it as a freeware game on my PC like 10-12 years ago. The controls felt uber stiff to me as well, but that might just be because I suck at it, which is entirely possible.

Still, after Castle Crashers begins to wear on me (if it ever does), I might pick this up during the next gaming drought.

Evan Waters

Dec 12, 2007
Meneguzzi post=6.69741.669858 said:
So what type of tax do we pay at fucking UK? Too much rain? Uglier women? Oh fuck, we are just being robbed then!
1. You guys have Julia Sawalha, that's worth a few extra pounds right there.

2. You guys also get DOCTOR WHO first.

Aerach

Aug 7, 2008
Great video as always. Seems like a pretty cool game, bummer that I won't be able to play it unless they release it on PC.

SomeBritishDude

Nov 1, 2007
Babeman post=6.69741.670170 said:
Braid is a smart person's game that doesnt hold your hand and guide you through it *cough* portal *cough*.
This is exactly the kind of snotty smarty pants shit yahtzee was talking about. Portal doesn't hold your hand storywise, maybe that makes me pants on my head retarded but it certainly leaves itself open. Theres a difference between leaving your story open for interiptation and just blatanly hiding it. There was sod all to go. What there was was nice but there wasn't nearly enough

murderbunny

Aug 27, 2008
I'm Adrienne... and I'm very, very afraid. I mean, how did Yahtzee *know* that I was single-handedly responsible for the downfall of the video games industry? Did he put a webcam up in my house? How did he get all the way to Canada from his perfect Australian beach?

This is going to keep me up nights.

Siebien

Aug 27, 2008
I swear they get funnier every time. ^^

Check this out guys, it's a great inuendo of 'teabagging'. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZqayhT3nZiQ

EchetusXe

Jun 19, 2008
I'm showing this to everyone I know called Adrian (I know one person called Adrian and he hasn't been online in 9 days).

So now I play the waiting game... which is a shite game but I believe more enjoyable than Gears of War.

Katana314

Oct 4, 2007
Argh, I watched a gameplay video of this game and thought "Wait, so what's the point?" Guess I never got to the time-manipulating stuff.
I loved the part about blaming gamers for the games we get, because it's pretty much true. We can all stop bashing EA until we stop buying their games. Nowadays every time I see someone yell "WANT!" after watching a prerendered, non-gameplay-related trailer for something, I go to Yahoo Questions and once again ask "Are you SURE no one has invented a way to stab people in the face over the internet???"

Heroic One

Aug 29, 2007
Well this is funny.

About three days ago I saw a friend of mine playing some game called "Braid". I messaged him and was all, "What the hell is that?"

He said pretty much said this review, without all the joking asides. Didn't see that coming!

boyitsme95

Feb 26, 2008
Firstly, great as always. Secondly, in the 2 door one key part, if you messed up wouldn't you just go back in time to when you had the key and do the other door? (P.S. Don't have Braid, so can be missing something. If so, explain)(P.S.S. I know about the walk one way, time goes foward, walk the other, blah de blah de blah, and that would be the only place where you would have to start over, theroraticly (Read P.S.. If you haven't read it yet, why in the world are you reading down here?).)

About the graphics, there are really three graphic types.
Realistic: Crysis (When the tech to play the recommended comes out, it'll look great)
Semi-realistic: Metal Gear Solid 4
Beautiful: Okami

DEVELOPERS! In my honest opinion, Okami had the best graphics there (MGS4 takes the gold for FPS and TPS). The don't have to be Crysis level. People, please agree with me so that they may be swayed.