Zero Punctuation: Brink

deth2munkies

Jan 28, 2009
The UN thing got me, funny as always.

Anyway, I watched a couple of lets plays of Brink (on itmeJP's stream) and it looked awful, glad to see that's seemingly the prevailing opinion.

Scrustle

Apr 30, 2011
I thought the first person platforming in Mirror's Edge was handled pretty well. Granted pretty much every other attempt first person platforming has failed miserably, but give it credit where it's due.

Zhukov

The Laughing Arsehole
Dec 29, 2009
*sigh*

Yup.

That about sums it up. And I paid $90 AUD for the bloody thing.

My arse hurts.

Numachuka

Sep 3, 2010
ProfessorLayton said:
... wasn't there a single player mode as well? Because if there was, then Yahtzee just broke his own rule of not judging a game by multiplayer alone...
The single player is the multiplayer with bots. Or the multiplayer is the single player with retards. Which ever way you choose.

Kegsen

Feb 20, 2011
I guess first off I`m violently happy I`m not a TF-fan. Then again, never played the thing so who`s to say I wouldn`t have loved the game to death.

BUT, being a big fan of BC2 - no - that does not mean I hate CoD! -(just a few of the players)- I can see where he`s going with the whole über-customisation thingy. In BC2, it`s sometimes a bit hectic (duh) and as a nice little visual aid is the recognisation of your own team.
How Brink will play out with all the different hats, clothes etc...I dunno - feel a bit sceptical about the whole thing. Then again, it might be a way in to the fps-genre for those who`ve grown tired of dress up Barbie-games, or just are so bad at fps-games in the first place, that they`ll rather focus on being a running-target-supermodel wearing different hillarious outfits each game.

JayDeth

Dec 18, 2009
Oh Yahtzee...

... I really don't get Brink either. Probably why I stop playing it less than a week after launch. Even though I did halfway enjoy it at first, playing through the extremely small number of really linear levels killed what little interest I had.

Good stuff.

I LOVE YOU YAHTZEE! :D

Feneture

Sep 11, 2010
Great review as usual :p

This game caught my eye when it was back in development but I have yet to play it.. Haven't heard that many great things about it but i'm not one to judge without first having played it myself!

AMAZED

Dec 6, 2010
I like brink but only online the single player is to difficult because I have to do everything, one time I was a medic and the objective was to plant a bomb on a door and even though we had at least 4 people in the room at all times my AI teammates (even the soldier classes) just stood around guarding doors wasting their supplies putting up turrets that faced corners and buffing everyones health another nano inch so that when everyone died I was the only one able to revive people and even then they got gunned down within 6 seconds

Tonimata

Jul 21, 2008
5 Shots? Come on Yahtzee, you could've done much worse! I actually paused to go get a bottle of whisky, mainly because I don't feel like working this afternoon and need an excuse.

SomebodyNowhere

Dec 9, 2009
I enjoy the game(for the most part) so I'm pleased he didn't tear apart Brink as badly as he probably could have.

Steve the Pocket

Mar 30, 2009
I suspect Yahtzee doesn't "get" Brink for the same reasons he doesn't "get" multiplayer in any other game that's not Team Fortress 2. And neither do I, so that's perfectly fair. I just wish he were familiar enough with multiplayer games to judge how close it comes to grabbing the brass ring compared to the unwashed masses of the multiplayer genre such as Halo or Counter-Strike. TF2 is still fun, but it's getting old, the unlockable items are retarded, and if I weren't part of a custom map generating community, I probably would have gotten sick of it by now.

Speaking of which, I wonder if he'll ever try Monday Night Combat.

ProfessorLayton said:
... wasn't there a single player mode as well? Because if there was, then Yahtzee just broke his own rule of not judging a game by multiplayer alone...
He said the single player mode was just the same maps with bots. Which I kind of suspected.

Urh

Oct 9, 2010
Odd that Yahtzee would criticise Brink for forcing people to unlock content and kindly ignore that TF2 (take a drink) did the same thing with the early class packs, (i.e. tying item unlocks to achievements, which was then supplemented with the utterly horrid random drop/crafting/microtransaction system they have now). Kudos to him for reiterating that the TF2 (take a drink) hats completely ruined the game's aesthetic (which, if you listen to the in-game commentary, Valve spent a *lot* of time obsessing over during development).

EvilRoy

The face I make when I see unguarded pie.
Legacy
Jan 9, 2011
Sudenak said:
ProfessorLayton said:
He covered the single player. In fact, none of what he said could be placed exclusively upon thew shoulders of multiplayer. Did you watch the review?
Indeed.
I was pretty disappointed that the singleplayer is just copypasta of the multiplayer with really really really stupid bots. All the same though, as a guy with over 1000 hours on TF2 (I don't buy games often) I thought brink was a pretty refreshing take on the same team based shooters that I like.

Falcon123

Aug 9, 2009
Yeah, I didn't really "get" Brink either. My friends all got excited and ran out to get it on opening day, but unless your PC is so bad that TF2 can't run on it, I can't think of a single thing Brink does that TF2 doesn't already do WHILE having a community behind it that keeps games varied and fun. These games are only as strong as the community behind it, and from what I heard at Gamestop the last time I went there (yay LoL gift cards; best graduation present ever :p), the Brink community isn't strong enough as of yet. If it jumps in popularity and drops in price, then maybe I could at least understand why someone would choose it over TF2, but otherwise I really don't see the point.

Ddgafd

Jul 11, 2009
I was surprised that Yahtzee didn't ***** about the absolutely horrendous AI any more than he did. It really, really deserves it. At least it's better than randoms in CoD. Also the stupid lack of interesting maps and the story mode basically being the same for both sides really pissed me off. I did hear that Splash Damage is going to publish free DLC, although that makes no sense.

Piecewise

Apr 18, 2008
Back when the first trailers for this game came out (not gameplay even, just Prerendered silliness) I predicted that the "free running" mechanic would be anemic at best and utterly meaningless/broken at worst. I also predicted that it would be a rather uninteresting, derivative, shooter in which the important things are neglected, and meaningless box-blurb junk like shallow character customization would be given undue attention.

Thus were proven my powers of Clairvoyance.