Zero Punctuation: Brink

EvilRoy

The face I make when I see unguarded pie.
Legacy
Jan 9, 2011
Falcon123 said:
Yeah, I didn't really "get" Brink either. My friends all got excited and ran out to get it on opening day, but unless your PC is so bad that TF2 can't run on it, I can't think of a single thing Brink does that TF2 doesn't already do WHILE having a community behind it that keeps games varied and fun. These games are only as strong as the community behind it, and from what I heard at Gamestop the last time I went there (yay LoL gift cards; best graduation present ever :p), the Brink community isn't strong enough as of yet. If it jumps in popularity and drops in price, then maybe I could at least understand why someone would choose it over TF2, but otherwise I really don't see the point.
Sorry, minor side note, if your system can't run TF2, its probably not goig to run brink.

bwarrior

Aug 13, 2009
God i hate the modern games industry. It should be illegal to sell a game that sucks or has no new features or just blatantly wasn't finished! (cough Prince of Persia)

mcnally86

Apr 23, 2008
ProfessorLayton said:
... wasn't there a single player mode as well? Because if there was, then Yahtzee just broke his own rule of not judging a game by multiplayer alone...
Its multi with bots. Or as some other games call it, "multiplayer while waiting for people to join the server."

Feneture

Sep 11, 2010
Great review as usual :p

This game caught my eye when it was back in development but I have yet to play it.. Haven't heard that many great things about it but i'm not one to judge without first having played it myself!

Giest4life

The Saucepan Man
Feb 13, 2010
See, I don't get why developers would lock all the best aspects of the game. If I made a game, I'd be showing off my strongest features rather than forcing players to wade the swamp of mediocrity to get to the special parts.

theunholydeath

Mar 22, 2011
i have a theory on why this game was crap, Bethesda is in the middle of working on Skyrim right now and the rest of the company that didn't get to work on it started complaining so the board just told them, "Fine if it will quit your bitching go work on a ripoff of TF2!" (take a drink)

Falcon123

Aug 9, 2009
EvilRoy said:
Falcon123 said:
Yeah, I didn't really "get" Brink either. My friends all got excited and ran out to get it on opening day, but unless your PC is so bad that TF2 can't run on it, I can't think of a single thing Brink does that TF2 doesn't already do WHILE having a community behind it that keeps games varied and fun. These games are only as strong as the community behind it, and from what I heard at Gamestop the last time I went there (yay LoL gift cards; best graduation present ever :p), the Brink community isn't strong enough as of yet. If it jumps in popularity and drops in price, then maybe I could at least understand why someone would choose it over TF2, but otherwise I really don't see the point.
Sorry, minor side note, if your system can't run TF2, its probably not goig to run brink.
Very true. Well then, I see even less reason to get Brink. Out of curiosity, can anyone who is a fan of Brink explain why they prefer it to TF2 and other games in the genre?

Uszi

Feb 10, 2008
Heh, I like brink.

I knew Yahtzee would not like the game off the bat because he doesn't play multiplayer (generally) and because he's already a huge fan of TF2.

Brink is what would happen if call of duty and team fortress 2 had a baby. And that's what I like about it.

teebeeohh

Jun 17, 2009
so before watching this my powers of clairvoyance say he will not like it

edit: so i was right

do i have to rave now and insult Yathzee because i liked Brink and he didn't? that seems to be the code of conduct for his reviews.

he is right abut the classes, though while they have their most important skill from the beginning(meaning medics are not useless till they learn to revive) it takes a while till all the skills really make a difference.
and yes, Brink is better if you organize at least one friend to be in the same match.

Bomberman4000

Jun 23, 2010
Why does everyone who comment on a Yahtzee review start talking in an overly wordy style like him? Read a lot of the comments on a lot of his videos and people really start throwing out phrases that sound like things he says. It's odd.

Anyway, I admit I was roped in by the advertisements and thought the game was going to be interesting and a breath of fresh air for the FPS genre. I've read several reviews, seen gameplay videos and I've since been turned away from it. To be honest I'm not that much into Team Fortress 2 (take a shot) either. Probably because the first time I tried to play it was a humbling experience peppered with the words "noob" and "retard".

I guess this game really is designed to appeal to a specific demographic that I'm not a part of. Oh well, back to replaying Mass Effect 2 I guess.

KDR_11k

Feb 10, 2009
Brink has fans?

I got Brink on order because Amazon had a 3 for 49? deal on loads of new games so I'm getting it along with Dead Space 2 and HAWX 2 whenever that ships (I think they were out of stock on DS2) mostly out of curiosity. I would never pay full price for it considering the lack of content, Section 8 Prejudice has more content than that and that's a freaking 13? downloadable game.

vxicepickxv

Slayer of Bothan Spies
Sep 28, 2008
Tonimata said:
5 Shots? Come on Yahtzee, you could've done much worse! I actually paused to go get a bottle of whisky, mainly because I don't feel like working this afternoon and need an excuse.
Watch it again with the rule in effect, then add the rule again. It gets messy when you start taking 2 shots for every shot he calls, and just one for the other comparisons.

ProfessorLayton said:
... wasn't there a single player mode as well? Because if there was, then Yahtzee just broke his own rule of not judging a game by multiplayer alone...

EDIT: Ok, you can stop quoting me now, I know he brought it up for less than a sentence. But there was an Extra Punctuation a while ago where he talked about multiplayer except I can't find it. Give me a minute...
We get it, but the only difference he's saying between single player and multiplayer is that you replace stupid bots with stupid people.

de5gravity

Apr 18, 2011
I have to say I love your videos but that's one that is just not stopping me from enjoying this awesome game! It's just too fun. (and yes one did before, Dead Spae 2, did not play it because of your video. In retrospect it's a good thing because I can get it now for cheap lol)
This was kinda expected of you really, to not like it. Should have reviewed LA Noire.