Zero Punctuation: Brink

rapidoud

Feb 1, 2008
totally heterosexual said:
TF2 does not cost 65 euros/dollars
I come from the land down under, where you can be stripped of your pockets with exorbitant video game prices.

Some games like SC2 are still $84, some games like Deus Ex are a measly $55. And steam also price gouge us by our 'australian tax' we coined the term for of a usual $30 on the exact same game (in USD noless).

All I can say is I will be buying brink to shove it up Valve's ass.

Metalrocks

Jan 15, 2009
rapidoud said:
totally heterosexual said:
TF2 does not cost 65 euros/dollars
I come from the land down under, where you can be stripped of your pockets with exorbitant video game prices.

Some games like SC2 are still $84, some games like Deus Ex are a measly $55. And steam also price gouge us by our 'australian tax' we coined the term for of a usual $30 on the exact same game (in USD noless).

All I can say is I will be buying brink to shove it up Valve's ass.
you are kidding me. i lived in australia and i saw TF 2 for under 20$ at EBgames and gametraders. not even steam asked for that much. SC2 is also under 20$ so as deus ex.
what kind of shops do you have who ask for that much??

V TheSystem V

Sep 11, 2009
I get Brink. I've just completed all 3 Star challenges and I think the AI is pretty awesome...most of the time. About 20-30% of the time they stand idly by a box and don't move!

Wado Rhyu

May 19, 2010
i played tf2 alot and i play brink alot right now. referring to it as a tf2 rip off is wrong. its more a Battlefield rip off. battlefield also has objectives and classes. and to be honest. this is a game where 1 dude without a social live won't ruin everything for the enemy team.

P.S. the parkour style movement works. never had a problem with it. so i can't get that point

beema

Aug 19, 2009
The more I hear about Brink, the less I want to bother playing it. Shame, seems like it had tons of fantastic potential.

And no, I'm not basing this opinion solely off ZP.

Good episode.

samaugsch

Oct 13, 2010
endplanets said:
Jesus crap why do people keep stupidly comparing Brink to TF2, that is not a valid comparison. Yes they have a class based system, but that is like saying that GTA is Halo because they have guns or that Starcraft is chess because you control units. Is the market really so devoid of class based shooters that TF2 is the only one that comes to mind. In TF2 (in the beginning at least) you made one choice and it would give you a character with a purpose, damage/health output, appearance and weapons. But in Brink you make many choices with purpose (class), damage/health output (weapon weight and body type), appearance (customized look) and weapons (gun itself) AND variable perks.
In TF2 your class choice is everything but in Brink your class is just one of many decisions.

You know what Brink's class system should be compared to: Battle Field 2142, Alien Swarm, the original Tribes, and of course other games by this developer that came out WAY WAY before TF2 like bloody Castle Wolfenstein and Quake Wars. This class based system in Brink is the same system that they have been using for over a decade.

The tones of the games are different, the weapon systems are different (in Brink there are a lot of "direct" weapons like assault rifles while TF2 has asymmetric weapons like sticky launcher), the objectives in the game are different and Brink has grenades.

Why do people keep comparing Brink to TF2, is it because the graphics are slightly "goofy" in a way slightly and unintentionally similar to TF2?
I haven't heard of any of the games that you said Brink's class system should be compared to so that may be why everyone compares it to TF2.

RelexCryo

Oct 21, 2008
As for why character customization is so important- some of those outfits are awesome. Straight up awesome. I actually like Brink one the P.C. I wouldn't reccomend it on a console.

Stammer

Apr 16, 2008
The weird thing about Brink to me is that it's a game that feels wholly unfinished. Everything feels done, just not given enough polish to make anything particularly stand out. And I find this really ironic because Bethesda actually released this game early, under the impression that they had finished long enough ahead of schedule to bring it out even sooner.

Though I don't think I'm too interested in this game because I'm not a big fan of shooters in which you die after absorbing 3 bullets. Sure, that's a lot more realistic than taking 30 before you go down, but damn it seems annoying being killed 10 times a minute.

siNwrath

Feb 23, 2010
Undead Dragon King said:
Listening to the choices that Bethesda made for Brink, especially when compared to Team Fortress 2, really makes me wonder just how much ACTUAL playtesting and QA went into making this game. Every design decision seems to be counter-intuitive to making an effective class-based multiplayer shooter.
y'know, the funny thing is right, that Bethesda had damn near nothing to do with the game. They were publishing the game. Splash Damage made the game. They made the decisions.

God damn, makes me wonder if people are going to talk about RAGE as if id Software had nothing to do with it.

Stammer said:
The weird thing about Brink to me is that it's a game that feels wholly unfinished. Everything feels done, just not given enough polish to make anything particularly stand out. And I find this really ironic because Bethesda actually released this game early, under the impression that they had finished long enough ahead of schedule to bring it out even sooner.

Though I don't think I'm too interested in this game because I'm not a big fan of shooters in which you die after absorbing 3 bullets. Sure, that's a lot more realistic than taking 30 before you go down, but damn it seems annoying being killed 10 times a minute.
Actually the combat in the game is quite nonlethal compared to contemporaries. Its not realistic damage at all.

BabyRaptor

Dec 17, 2010
My roommate watched this earlier and has since informed me that he plans to get drunk tonight playing the shots game.

widowspeak

May 20, 2009
Puzzlenaut said:
Also, I fundamentally disagree with what he said about Mirror's Edge -- if there is one thing that game taught us its that parkour from the 1st is definitely how it should be done if your game is going to be largely based around it. Compare the parkour of Mirror's Edge to Assassin's Creed. AC is much easier, but its nowhere NEAR as exhilerating, fun or breathtaking as Mirror's Edge's and that is almost entirely because of the perspective.
AC is nowhere near as vomit-inducing from phantom motion-sickness as M-Edge is, either. Just sayin'. *shrugs*

Puzzlenaut

Mar 11, 2011
widowspeak said:
Puzzlenaut said:
Also, I fundamentally disagree with what he said about Mirror's Edge -- if there is one thing that game taught us its that parkour from the 1st is definitely how it should be done if your game is going to be largely based around it. Compare the parkour of Mirror's Edge to Assassin's Creed. AC is much easier, but its nowhere NEAR as exhilerating, fun or breathtaking as Mirror's Edge's and that is almost entirely because of the perspective.
AC is nowhere near as vomit-inducing from phantom motion-sickness as M-Edge is, either. Just sayin'. *shrugs*
because there's no challenge in Assassin's Creed -- in the most recent installment they've really tried to make platforming a major part of the game, but what's the point of that if it's so easy?
There's no challenge so there's no fun.

Mirror's Edge can sometimes be confusing, but the free-running is as good as it gets in every possible way and a large part of that is learning your characters limits through practice -- there is a fairly steep learning curve to this, and if ME was in third person it would undoubtedly be far easier to learn them, but that's part of the experience.
AC on the other hand is just push the button in roughly the direction of where you want to go and the game jumps for you. In many ways Brink's is actually more like the parkour of AC than Mirror's Edge, which cannot be said to be a bad thing considering the emphasis in the game is the FPS part of it, not the jumping about.

Puzzlenaut

Mar 11, 2011
endplanets said:
Jesus crap why do people keep stupidly comparing Brink to TF2, that is not a valid comparison. Yes they have a class based system, but that is like saying that GTA is Halo because they have guns or that Starcraft is chess because you control units. Is the market really so devoid of class based shooters that TF2 is the only one that comes to mind. In TF2 (in the beginning at least) you made one choice and it would give you a character with a purpose, damage/health output, appearance and weapons. But in Brink you make many choices with purpose (class), damage/health output (weapon weight and body type), appearance (customized look) and weapons (gun itself) AND variable perks.
In TF2 your class choice is everything but in Brink your class is just one of many decisions.

You know what Brink's class system should be compared to: Battle Field 2142, Alien Swarm, the original Tribes, and of course other games by this developer that came out WAY WAY before TF2 like bloody Castle Wolfenstein and Quake Wars. This class based system in Brink is the same system that they have been using for over a decade.

The tones of the games are different, the weapon systems are different (in Brink there are a lot of "direct" weapons like assault rifles while TF2 has asymmetric weapons like sticky launcher), the objectives in the game are different and Brink has grenades.

Why do people keep comparing Brink to TF2, is it because the graphics are slightly "goofy" in a way slightly and unintentionally similar to TF2?
The red-blue colour scheme of the units, the cartoon-ish, exaggerated art style, the fact it is class based (though honestly not really that class based. More like a hybrid of class-based and more CoD-like model) and almost entirely based around multiplayer.

There are loads of reasons why they are similar. The rest is mostly just details.