Zero Punctuation: Brutal Legend

Kelethor

Jun 24, 2008
I hope im not sounding like the kid with long hair and no plans for the future but I throughly enjoyed Brutal legend. while the RTS bits surprised me greatly I was definatley not put off by them, I mean sure the RTS bits were a bit long and arduous but It still felt like It was just another day of me, a few headbangers and Metal music blaring as I ran over demons and glam-ers alike. I definatley understand the critism, after all a few times the plot seemed to forget where it was going, and it took me the second time through to find the "sites of legend" that actually flat out tell you why the world is so buggered up... but I enjoyed it, it was funny, the actors seemed into it, Jack black especially, and this may be a minor thing, but am I the only person tired of the main character weapon always being "the sword of deus ex machina"? having an Axe was a nice, if a bit nit pickicky, change. Good review though

TheCameraman

Jun 8, 2009
Best game I've played in a while anyway, guess peoples opinions differ (Who would have known!).

Anyway, I'm not an RTS player at all, and I absolutely loved the stage battles. There is minimal tactics involved, so I would say it's by definition a "RTS-extra light" mixed with some squad based hack and slash. The avatar is your absolutely strongest weapon, and if you don't utilize him, but focus on the RTS element, you WILL lose.

Oh, and to anyone who still hates a game just because Jack Black stars in it: Grow up, seriously.

Cherry Cola

Your daddy, your Rock'n'Rolla
Jun 26, 2009
I liked Brütal Legend. I don't understand why everyone is all "Oh, Yahtzee is awesome because he is the only one with the guts to stick it to the man" just because he gave a game bad criticism when everyone gave it praise. He just voiced his opinion like everyone else, why are people acting like he is the only critic that isn't bribed by game-companies?

There is much I can say in Brütal Legends defense and there is much I can agree with Yahtzee on. Personally I don't think this short review was detailed enough to be the reason why you would decide not to buy it. If I want to know if a game is worth buying or not I read a lot of reviews (ignoring the score that is set on them) and take in what people thought about the game. Yahtzee is more about the lulz. He is one of the best critics in the world, I'll give him that. In short: Yahtzee could use another minute or two on his reviews, if only so that he could bash the game in more detail.

blackfur

Oct 28, 2009
Wow, really? everyone on forums is an expert. its both funny and sad at the same time. I see some of you actually know better than Tim Schafer and Jack Black. You could probably make a better game than EA any day right?

I thought this game was a valiant effort. It's massive in ambition and it gets a lot of it right. Sure some parts are a little unpolished but its still very playable. Most games dont even come close to this size and scope. You're all acting like this isn't a solid game.

I'm not an RTS junkie either, but its ok if brutal legend wants me to dabble in the genre albeit in a lighthearted manner. why is this so wrong? everything doesnt have to be God of Fooking War. Now that would be a shame.

The Noble Shade

Dec 24, 2008
For the past year, I have an idea for a video game that was like a forbidden hybrid of RPG, shooter, brawler, and weapon fighter; all set in a mission-progressed, sandbox world. Now, I'm starting to rethink the sandbox part.

Ryuk2

Sep 27, 2009
Well this one was pure gold. The jokes were really witty and no penis jokes? Woah!
Maybe the next game wont be an open world, maybe it wont be RTS, maybe it will be any good. I peeked at friends house at this game and i didn't like it. Maybe the story is fine, but how can you love story when the game itself looks like crap?

darkwater124

Mar 19, 2009
ARKSgtAlpha said:
wow i was think of getting based off the escapist's review but now... anyway another awesome review (im guessing borderlands next week but thats just me)

There are all kinds he could possibly do next time, such as Uncharted 2, DJ Hero, Ratchet and Clank, Tekken 6, Marvel Ultimate Allience 2, Need for Speed: Shift, TMNT Smash Up, Dead Space Extraction, A Boy and His Blob, Marvel Sper Hero Squad, AND Borderlands.

Point is, he's got a lot to chose from for now.

LeChuck99

Sep 4, 2008
I liked the game, you can't expect it to hold your hand and give you every detail in what to do.
Im surprised Yahtzee didnt praise how creative the game was with its scenery and characters

Guess its only the kind of game that appeals to metal head stoners who dont play many video games and can't distinguish "good" from "bad"
like me

theultimateend

Nov 1, 2007
I'm still horrified that he never played Luigi's mansion.

I often get tempted to mail the dude a copy of the game.

Interesting Review. Shame that the game isn't like the demo apparently.

Treblaine

Jul 25, 2008
I don't know which is worse, the greatest game from a developer going criminally under-appreciated or that when they really have a chance to shine and actually do well they fail.

JWAN

Dec 27, 2008
I thought this was a pretty accurate review, I play RTS games and i found that this had a decent beginning for an O.K. RTS but it never really took it anywhere beyond a mediocre "meh" level.

I had a dream that one day game developers would stop goose stepping in circles around each other and would come up with some games that had a solid direction. But it didn't start with this game, and its a good thing I played it on my friends computer before I bought it.

But its the guy who made some of the best games of my childhood and I have played most of his games from the time I was wondering around in those weird 80's-90's neon kiddy shorts.

It was a disappointment, but it could have been worse. At least it didn't leave me hollow inside like battlefield 2142 with all of its glitchy, unfinished bullshit that EA ALWAYS pulls, and they ALWAYS will. Not everyone's ideas will be solid gold.
---------------------------------------------------------------------------------
for the people who like to go "1st" or "2nd" go do it on another forum.
I think a 7 day suspension should be mandatory, even on first time offenders because that 3 day warning isn't cutting it for some people.

Tales of Golden Sun

Dec 18, 2008
Reuq said:
Tales of Golden Sun said:
Nice review.
I never knew that Mr. Croshaw has studied german
If you are refering to his pronounciation then I think he might just have a brain.
You can read it in the credits... He says he has to properly pronounce the umlaut because he has studied german.

sln333

Jun 22, 2009
Not the candlestick makers!
It's a shame that this game fell just a bit short of being great. There's some things to like - the humor, art style, fighting elements, base RTS elements - that make me want to get it. Then there's some bad things - unpolished RTS elements, humor tapering off as game goes on, repetitive missions - that make me not want to get it. I think I'll wait until the price goes down next year.