Zero Punctuation: Call of Duty: Black Ops

Atmos Duality

Mar 3, 2010
It's last year's Call of Duty game but with another new irrelevant mission pack.
How fitting is it that I found the Nazi Zombie mode (the most cliche' thing to hit games since Left 4 Dead became popular) to be better than the beloved multiplayer and story missions.

Oh well.
Can't wait for next year's flavor of this same fucking game....again.

HK_01

Jun 1, 2009
This was one of the best ZPs in a long time, probably one of my favorites of all time!

Gary Cummings said:
So predictable. What's the point of reviewing games everyone knows you'll hate?
You haven't seen a lot of episodes of Zero Punctuation yet, have you? The entire point is that he completely shreds games, it's supposed to be funny and not a serious review.

webby

Sep 13, 2010
Joshimodo said:
thatstheguy said:
I find it funny that Yahtzee's review complains about the game being to spastic while the Escapist review complains about it being to uneventful. Just kinda something I noticed.

It IS uneventful when there's no time for a breather. There's no buildup, tension or drama. It's just corridor shootout-open area with respawning enemies (go there, then here! Now here.)-corridor shootout-set piece, repeat.

There's a lot happening but none of it is very interesting and it just feels like a chore.
To be fair, I believe Russ Pitts basically said that every now and then there are large stretches where you effectively have no control and can't actually alter anything. The example I believe he gave is the start of the mission where you blow up the missile. You follow someone, hide from choppers, follow again, kill someone, walk in a straight line, hide a body, have your partner save you, follow some more THEN you get to shoot.

There are several variations on this theme, Hudson getting blown up and you carrying him, lots of stabbing people situations, torturing people, and of course the "stealth" mission where Reznov tells you exactly what to do and if you do it wrong you fail. Stuff is still kinda going "WHIZ BOOM WAHEY!" in a variety of those situations so it is still over the top VISUALLY, but as a game you know there is minimal danger so it is still boring.

I maybe wrong but that's kinda how I took both of their statements.

Vrach

Jun 17, 2010
Sir John the Net Knight said:
These games are never going to have good single player modes. Not when hordes of sweary, teabagging teenagers are lining up to pay for multiplayer mode so they can wave their digital derriere at someone's bullet ridden corpse.
Did you miss the original Modern Warfare? Cause that was probably, nay certainly the best (pure) FPS I've ever played, singleplayer wise.

Neferius

Sep 1, 2010
You know the ol' saying "Careful what you wish for..." --See you in 2012 Yahtzee.

...oh who am I kidding! You live in Australia, what the fuck do YOU care.
When the Nuclear Holocaust will end, you guys will still have wallaby-powered cars to drive and Mad-Max to lead you :p

Neferius

Sep 1, 2010
Night Knight said:
[...] America wants another war so badely they're litterally trying to piss the world off so they can fight again.
I do believe you're thinking about North-Vietnam. USA's just in it for the Oil.

008Zulu_v1legacy

Sep 6, 2009
radicaledward92 said:
You know that be a perfect way to settle disputes instead of sending people off to die so that two old farts can play a game of WAR as if soldiers were just toys.
Can't really imagine the worlds powers settling disputes playing Warhammer 40,000.

VinLAURiA

Dec 25, 2008
Man, why even bother with Black Ops? You should have used the same excuse for not reviewing this as you said you would for music games and just stop because it's all just the same. What's different between this and the last one? Maybe two more guns and two less maps (both of which will be delivered later in its own highly-publicized DLC patch containing it and only it and which goes for the low, low price of 800 Microsoft Points?)

Don't let same-y franchises like Call of Duty get to you, Yahtzee, or else they'll rub off on you and make your reviews all same-y, too. For a while, your opening statement was going on so long I was wondering if you would even get to the game part (or if you even needed to, which is questionable in my opinion.)

duchaked

Dec 25, 2008
lol not so clever Yahtzee...aren't video games the way we all get it out of our system

oh and forget about the U.S. starting genocide, looks like the world can just all jump in with the Koreas and their current ongoing slap fest!

BlueInkAlchemist said:
Worgen said:
its so weird how much we love to have games set in hypothetical invasion situations when you consider that its sooo unlikely, its much more likely that we would have another civil war
And the tea party conservatives would win. They have all the guns.

Frightening.
dang...plus the NRA and all their children and all their children's children and their children's pets and pet toys (grenades) are armed to their teeth...

stormtrooper9091

Jun 2, 2010
doo doo doo doo doo inspec-tor ga-dget

GO GADGET GO!!

and well, yes, Yahtzee makes a point. A captain obvious kind of point but then again, some points are like that

3LANCER

Sep 11, 2008
Seriously, I was expecting some sort of screamer at the end of the video... or just some very loud noise

duchaked

Dec 25, 2008
Night Knight said:
Yahtzee i wish you could actually talk with the American gaming companies and get them to f#cking stop making the same game just different titles and blablabla. Its always America basically doing whatever the f#ck it wants in regards to war. Personally in a Canadian's oppinion why dont we have a war game were WE ARE ACTUALLY IN IT!! I mean come on! Canadians have to fight along side the Americans, although we fight for the right reasons, Americans just shoot whatever they want and think it justice. Regardless Yahtzee is right about it all, America wants another war so badely they're litterally trying to piss the world off so they can fight again. Think I'm wrong? Does the term WEAPONS OF MASS DISTRUCTION ring any bells, i thought so. I hope the USA gets its war and they lose but the attackers leave Canada and Mexico and everywhere else that people enjoy alone. I have nothing against Americans a few of them are actually nice people (Movie Bob being a good example) but America as a whole is bloody bat-sh#t crazy retarted. This is just an opinion so dont shun me for saying something that might just be the truth. Truth hurts fokes, get use to it. Yahtzee is awesome =)
hahaha truth hurts...but truth also points out that everyone in this world are dicks to pretty much the same degree if you look at the spectrum as a whole

I like how you said Canada cuz ur Canadian but then again people would probably wouldn't notice Canada (lucky) anyway
Mexico...what would the world do without their drug trade!

but yeah sure, let's have another war so we can all have something to do except yell insults at each other on YouTube ><
I notice North and South Korea have started something...let's have at it :p

edit: oh oh Canadians are in Call of Duty 3 I heard, maybe check that out? my friend told me so I don't know for sure

Son of Detroit

Sep 25, 2010
HK_01 said:
This was one of the best ZPs in a long time, probably one of my favorites of all time!

Gary Cummings said:
So predictable. What's the point of reviewing games everyone knows you'll hate?
You haven't seen a lot of episodes of Zero Punctuation yet, have you? The entire point is that he completely shreds games, it's supposed to be funny and not a serious review.
Don't get me wrong I like ZP, but these reviews lack meaning when Yahtzee's opinion is literally a foregone conclusion. I didn't need to watch the review to know he'd hate the game or complain about the whole American thing.

awatkins

Oct 17, 2008
hahaha...

Best review evar!!
Best part was when he said 'stupid ****"
also that bit about america...

MNM556

Aug 11, 2010
Ha this came out on my b day which finally gave me a reason to laugh my fucking ass off also good job yatzee

Night Knight

Nov 24, 2010
i agree that people are dicks but its hard to say everyone, the nation in which you live can be war craving morons (America) but the individual can be a kind person and one who is liked in todays community. I am lucky to live in a place where we strive for peace instead of war, we as Canadians are peace keepers. Im always glad to hear an American agree when they say the USA has some.... ok ALOT of problems XD.

edit: It might be true that there would be Canadians in Call of Duty 3, but I was hoping that Canadians would be shown as the true peace keepers everyone knows we are.

Flame Rider

Apr 5, 2010
I had this strange feeling you'd miss this entirely because of it's popularity, but nope, can't get away with nothing these days.

I'm strangely in favour of 'Another War', I don't know why.

Euphoriaxd

Jul 7, 2010
Next time the western world decide to do a war with some extra dudes like japan or china... please don´t be so selfish and call it white fancy pants war, redneck hooligan war, mountain dew war but not "World War"

PD: Whoever have Korea and some robots on his side will win... cause they have the apm