Zero Punctuation: Call of Duty: Black Ops

BlaS

Nov 30, 2010
Want some good white Anglo-saxon tough guy hero names?

Watch the Mystery Science Theater 3000 episode 'Space Mutiny'

Donal Gavin-Gates

Dec 1, 2010
I don't know why, but I have always hated COD because it is overrated. I also find Halo absolute shit, so do NOT accuse me of loving halo more than COD!

sumguitardude

Jan 20, 2010
I still haven`t bought it yet, but the "story" has me intrigued and i am going to buy it sooner or later,sum time next year but only after playing deus ex, crysis 2, dead space 2, BioShock Infinite, Batman: Arkham City....hmm mabe i wont get it afterall:p

Great Review Yahtzee^_^

Toguromon

Apr 3, 2010
Yahtzee, I love your reviews, but can you calm your anti-America hard-on a little? I realize you get a major erection whenever an opportunity comes to bash "the damn Yanks", or whatver you want to call us, but seriously???

Comparing Call of Duty games to America is like comparing Prince Charles to Brit-land. Do you really think countries are completely characterized by their most hardcore stereotypes and idiots??

Cut us some slack. I don't give a sh*t about CoD, and I'm American. I don't need to go to war to gain some f*cking humility because I've already got enough humility. I never said America was better than England or Australia or any other country.

For the love of God or anything else you hold dear, cut the anti-America bullsh*t from your otherwise excellent reviews! I like hating on things as much as the next guy, but if all you want to do is somehow relate sh*tty games to how much you can't stand the USA, you're going to become an incoherent idiot that only your most hardcore fans will continue to listen to.

Try insulting some other countries for once. Maybe a Middle-Eastern country, if ye have the balls. Heck, I'm giving awards to anyone who can insult Islam with the same passion as they insult Christianity and Judaism. But most people, like you, tend to stick to the safe/tired topics. America sucks. Christians are stupid. HAR DE HAR. You are so clever, once again.

lolzar

Apr 3, 2010
Toguromon you fool. Any point you may have had vanished with your last paragraph when you tell him to insult others instead of your country or relegion. Clearly you are a hypocrite that - as you said - likes hating on things but not when you are the target of the insults. You say 'Do you really think countries are completely characterized by their most hardcore stereotypes and idiots??' and yet I assume you want him to make fun of the middle east and islam for precisely these reasons.

If you can't handle the heat then get out of the kitchen!

SeriousIssues

Jan 6, 2010
I do not like this review.
Not one bit.
I could not, would not, in a house.
I would not like it with a fox.
I would not like it in a box.
I would not like it here or there.
I would not like it anywhere.
I would not like this review.

Ever.

AngryBritishAce

Feb 19, 2010
Not that I don't like CoD games, but they are really overrated. I can play it for a month before getting bored, then go on maybe a month later, but I know friends who played CoD MW2 non-stop every hour of their free moments every day without playing another game since it came out until Black Ops came out. And they had a go at ME when I said this.

WickedSkin

Feb 15, 2008
This shit $59.99. Anything you get here you don't get anywhere else is Activision-style money grabbing freedom hatred. For $12 or so you get DICE's latest (oh well upcoming) console and consoleized-pc installment. It's a much much better deal don't you think?

All I'm waiting for is for Valve to get their shit together again and DICE to release their PC masterpiece Battlefield 3 and all will be well. All hope is not lost. Well epics like Baldurgate and modding might be an actual dying thing. But let's keep hopes up shall we?

internetzealot1

Aug 11, 2009
Alright Yahtzee, we get it. You're British. You have a deep-seated envious hatred of America. No need to bring it up every time we get another FPS.

As for BlOPs, I actually thought it had the best CoD campaign of this generation. Sure its linear and heavily scripted. But they all are, especially in the stealth sequences. In CoD4 all you had to do was stick the Captain's ass the entire time and you'd be fine. At least in BlOps, there's a part where you can choose to be stealthy and take out guards with your crossbow when their patrol routes take them away from their allies. But overall, stealth in CoD has always been a tutorial with no actual chance to do your own thing.

But there was that snow mission in MW2 that put you on your own. That's pretty good stealth...the first time you play it. Next time you come back, you already know where everyone is and how to avoid them. But that's Call of Duty for you. Only good once.

gphjr14

Aug 20, 2010
Yahtzee's probably just mad because the one mission that has Brits in it has them as the villains and you kill them.

Mordereth

Jun 19, 2009
The Bay of Pigs was started to try and liberate Cuba; 1.5k former citizens of Cuba who'd fled to America and were trained and sent in.

The dick move was when American landed them and then retracted military support, the survivors winding up in a political prison.

What America needs is the balls to carry our a war; you know, carpet-bombing in Vietnam (or actually crossing the fucking boarder? Maybe?).

entropy3ko

Jan 17, 2008
I was quite excited about this game, mainly because I thought it would feature Stealth Warfare like COD 4, I just loved the stealth section where you play as Lt. Price (later to be Cpt. Price) in Pripyat.

Also I thought COD:BO would be mainly set in the Vietnam war. The Vietnam war is by far my 'favorite war' (well if you can have a favorite war...) as fiction (like movies).
Also since the Vietnam war was so controversial it can be a great historical setting for a great story!

Alas... COD:BO is not what I expected it to be... I might give it a try when it comes out on discount price :p