Zero Punctuation: Call of Duty: Modern Warfare 3

Something Amyss

Aswyng and Amyss
Dec 3, 2008
wooty said:
Im glad he didnt pick a winner, it stems the tide of "well my gameszszs is da best because yahtzee said it was.......olololol!!!"

I applaud your neutrality croshaw
I don't think he was neutral. He essentially pissed on both games. In which case, I am the winner because I can say "well your gamez iz da suk bcuz yotzeh sed it wuz...lololol!!!"

Extragorey said:
Multiplayer? I'd have thought he'd at least say SOMETHING about it.
Hi, you must be new here. :p

Laxman9292

Feb 6, 2009
Macrobstar said:
mjc0961 said:
Yeah, thanks for reminding me of that horrible Prototype VS inFamous review where two games that are completely different from each other were compared. When are you going to put Final Fantasy and Gran Turismo against each other, or maybe Super Mario 3D Land and Skyrim should go head to head?

Or maybe we can stop comparing games from completely different genres to each other, hmm?
What those games are incredibly similar and are definately the same genre
Please don't feed the troll, they are only here for our private viewing pleasure and entertainment. Thank god I decided to hop off the CoD wagon, I don't think I cold stand buying the same game for a fourth time...

mb16

make cupcakes not bombs
Sep 14, 2008
mjc0961 said:
Or maybe we can stop comparing games from completely different genres to each other, hmm?
yes because as we all know MW3 is an RTS and BF3 is an JRPG /sarcasm

OT: i do wish he would review the multiplayer. (he did it for the WOW and EVE videos)

Something Amyss

Aswyng and Amyss
Dec 3, 2008
Leak said:
Meh... skip Skyrim, it's been hyped to death anyway; do Serious Sam 3: BFE instead, it's more fun than both BF3 and MW3 combined...
The comments section should be epic, though. There are a ton of ZP fans who think it's all fun and games until he mocks a game they like, at which point the comments tend to explode with "I can't believe he did to this game what he does to every game imaginable!"

With Skyrim, I bet it'll be like 200 times as big as normal. The explosion, not the thread.

Ryokai

Apr 4, 2010
I'm glad Yahtzee made the point that "realism" is not something you should expect in a Modern Warfare game. From personal experience, being in the military is nothing like videogames and is hardly "fun".

Markunator

Nov 10, 2011
Sonic Doctor said:
Extragorey said:
Multiplayer? I'd have thought he'd at least say SOMETHING about it.
I don't remember what review exactly, but I remember that Yahtzee is of the mindset that believes that a game must be able to stand on single player alone. Multiplayer is a side item, so he tends not to review such things in detail if at all.

I agree with that sentiment, because these days it seems that if a game doesn't have multiplayer, people think there is no reason to play it.

Really, multiplayer is just a way to squeeze out some extra dollars from the people that have the compulsion that they only buy games that they can play with other people and turn into a competition.

Because of that games that make no sense having multiplayer, now have it or will have it. I'm looking at you BioWare(understanding it is EA's dirty hand) with Mass Effect 3.

Same goes for Assassin's Creed when it got multiplayer in "Brotherhood". Doesn't matter if it was good or not, it is out of place.

The industry somewhere along the line has contracted a disease that makes devs and pubs think they must please every section of the market so that everybody can get in and play their game, instead of properly making specific types of games for specific people.

I play and enjoy most types and genres of games: RTS, RPG, MMO, Puzzle, Racing, Shooters, Sandbox, Linear, Single, and Multiplayer, but I understand that some things should just be kept separate and other things should take precedence over others.

Eventually it seems that every game will become some big monstrosity that is every genre and type rolled into one, because everybody must be able to play some part of the game and enjoy it, so that the creators get get money from everybody.
Yeah, that doesn't really apply to "Battlefield 3", though, because that series started off as a multiplayer game. While I do agree with pretty much all of Yahtzee's criticisms of the game's campaign, I still love that game very much, as its multiplayer blows away any criticism that I may have of the campaign. (The multiplayer is also completely different from CoD's; just putting that out there.)

Although, both games do have 2-player co-op. You'd think Yahtzee would at least have been able to say SOMETHING about that? :/

KeyMaster45

Gone Gonzo
Jun 16, 2008
I can't help but notice that during that entire review I was unable to differentiate which game he was talking about at any given time. I think that speaks volumes for how terrible and identical both franchises are. Unfortunately I'm not allowed to say that since one of them apparently made more money than god, buddha, and george lucas combined. Because as we all know, sales = quality. /sarcasm

God damn it I can't wait for that whole genre of shooters to just freaking die, or at least be relegated to the same level of importance that is afforded to horror movies.

Emperor Nat

Jun 15, 2011
I like his game idea. For a start, it can end on a high note and with a proper resolution, rather than a milked-for-all-it's-damn-well-worth approach from EA.

Apart from that, I think it would be interesting to make a game that has 50 missions, all constituting an entire story arc and all taking place in the space of 38 minutes. It would be an interesting way to pace gameplay and it would be a neat way of fleshing out the world: Rather than looking through a single guy's eyes the entire game, or maybe jumping between 2 or 3, see the same events and the same conflict from 50 different perspectives.

It would also force some sort of interesting characterisation styles, considering they have 38 minutes to make you care about the people around you.

Also: Obligatory cricket minigame after completing all 50 Campaign missions.

Buizel91

Autobot
Aug 25, 2008
Sonicron said:
"[...], only one question remains unanswered: Why haven't I reviewed Skyrim yet?"

Best laugh I've had in a few weeks. :D
Now that I've caved and bought Skyrim myself, it'll be even more interesting to see exactly how he'll rip it to shreds.
I can't wait for the Shouting jokes...and the fact that a Dragon battle is basically a deadly verbal debate...

Fingers crossed for next week xD

OT: Meh, i have MW3 and used like...4 times, and not even for that long, probably gonna trade it in at some point to get...something >.>

However i do wanna try BF3 simply because the Multiplayer is apparently gods gift...

tadaaaaa

Nov 20, 2009
Yahtzee, you old fox.
The mindless-killing generation have grown up, they're in charge as we speak. Think how pointless the last few invasions have been?

Couch Radish

Mar 28, 2011
Don't worry Mr. Croshaw, Serious Sam 3 and Saint's Row: The Third are holding out their colorful arms awaiting your approach.

ProtoChimp

Feb 8, 2010
I wonder if he'll get us much pointless stupid retarded fucking hate by twats who can't understand the concept of a different opinion and thus shouldn't ne able understand the concept of breathing as his Space Marine article.

XDravond

Something something....
Mar 30, 2011
otakon17 said:
Science is daft in that regard. I've nearly lost consciousness more times than I could remember laughing too hard at something. Would be a great way to go though.
You mean "Death by laughing at a ZP".... That would be a new one (I think).
(Not to be confused with death by laughing at Yathzee)...

Geo Da Sponge

May 14, 2008
I got directed to a series of videos on YouTube that consist of all of the cutscenes in MW3. In these videos the user was running with the defintion of cutscenes as any on-rail segment where the outcome is essentially guaranteed, which pretty much covers the entire single player campaign. It's surprisingly fun to watch.

Oh, and I too called bullshit when Russia invaded all of Europe at once. Especially when the French felt the need to call in the Americans for the simple job of arresting a guy. I mean, really? Couldn't the French rustle up their own elite squad for this one?

Dexter111 said:
*yawn*... well this was interesting to watch... NOT
The 90s called, they want their form of sarcasm back. They even lent me this "The X called, they want their Y back" joke to get it back for them.

Shjade

Chaos in Jeans
Feb 2, 2010
ToastiestZombie said:
wooty said:
Im glad he didnt pick a winner, it stems the tide of "well my gameszszs is da best because yahtzee said it was.......olololol!!!"

I applaud your neutrality croshaw
Still, it was pretty clear that he didn't really care or like both games. The people who troll CoD and BF won't see that he took a neutral response and take a quote from the review, then use it as ammo.
I think you two are confused. Yahtzee did not have a neutral response. Neutral would be "I have no opinion."

Yahtzee clearly expressed an opinion. It's just not one that favors one game over the other.

Feb 13, 2008
"Captain Price exiled in pursuit of some bastard that's apparently responsible..."
Quick, Ginger!

Now that would make MW3 much better; if you had to play "The Devil's Horseride" while running backwards.