Zero Punctuation: Call of Duty: Modern Warfare 3

Zeekar

Jun 1, 2009
Sonic Doctor said:
I don't remember what review exactly, but I remember that Yahtzee is of the mindset that believes that a game must be able to stand on single player alone. Multiplayer is a side item, so he tends not to review such things in detail if at all.

I agree with that sentiment, because these days it seems that if a game doesn't have multiplayer, people think there is no reason to play it.

Really, multiplayer is just a way to squeeze out some extra dollars from the people that have the compulsion that they only buy games that they can play with other people and turn into a competition.
I disagree. Would an MMORPG have to stand on the strengths of it's single player experience alone? It just -makes sense- for certain genres to have multiplayer or even a multiplayer focus.

I understand your point about shoehorning in multiplayer where it doesn't belong, but let's face it: No one is playing MW3 or BF3 for it's campaign. I don't even know why they have campaigns -- it seems to me, the money would be better spent making a more solid multiplayer experience rather than a half-assed campaign mode.

PS: Time to start guessing at what race Yahtzee picked for Skyrim.

XUnsafeNormalX

Mar 26, 2009
Yea what a shame about MW's plot. Infinity Ward/Activision really had it butchered and ruined. Still it's not really a relevant video when you compare two multiplayer games without weighing in on the multiplayer.

Micalas

Mar 5, 2011
Zeekar said:
PS: Time to start guessing at what race Yahtzee picked for Skyrim.
Well, he picked Nord in Oblivion. Though he was an elf in Dragon Age. Whatever he is, I will bet you that he's not going to be an Argonian or Khajit.

Cowabungaa

Feb 10, 2008
Well that was uninspired and, quite frankly, a bit dull. Just one big flame video against modern warfare shooters, as we haven't heard enough about that already. Yes, even the racism joke is getting stale now.

Frankly I wonder why he even bothers to review these games, for any other reason than throwing flamebait around.

Ixal

Mar 19, 2008
I am more interested in his Saints Row 3 review. I mean he already liked SR2 and SR3 practically seems to be made for him.

Cowabungaa said:
Well that was uninspired and, quite frankly, a bit dull. Just one big flame video against modern warfare shooters, as we haven't heard enough about that already. Yes, even the racism joke is getting stale now.

Frankly I wonder why he even bothers to review these games, for any other reason than throwing flamebait around.

Because for some strange reason many people buy this games and made them "big releases". So he is kinda obligated to review them.

floobie

Sep 10, 2010
I never had any intention of buying either. But, as I expected, that was thoroughly entertaining. Good old hate-bonding. "You hate Call of Duty? ME TOO!!!"

ewhac

Digital Spellweaver
Legacy
Escapist +
Sep 2, 2009
San Francisco Peninsula
Country
USA
This is easily the most information-dense ZP review he's done so far, and thus should be eligible for some kind of award. I had to replay the review four or five times to fully get what he was talking about. Some of the subordinate clauses meander so far into the wilderness that I forgot whether he was talking about MW3 or BF3 at any given moment.

As for those who assert that MW3 and BF3 are completely different genres and thus any comparison is terribly unfair: I haven't played either of them and thus, from my perspective, both games are realistic-ish military-themed first-person shooters. Perhaps you'd care to summarize where lies the distinction.

Torrasque

Aug 6, 2010
RC1138 said:
Hmmp I figured he was going to mention spec ops (not sure if he liked or not).
Yeah, I am kind of sad that he didn't mention anything about it. Spec Ops is a big reason why I bought MW3, and I really enjoyed playing it with my friend. Maybe because Yahtzee sees Spec Ops as another multiplayer thingy that he can't be bothered to play?

I can just imagine Yahtzee about to play MW3, groaning and saying "Just one more week and I can play a good game..."

Geo Da Sponge

May 14, 2008
The_root_of_all_evil said:
"Captain Price exiled in pursuit of some bastard that's apparently responsible..."
Quick, Ginger!

Now that would make MW3 much better; if you had to play "The Devil's Horseride" while running backwards.
Good grief, you're right! Open this in one window, turn the sound off, then start playing this other video while Yuri runs.

It is brilliant.

Cowabungaa

Feb 10, 2008
trollpwner said:
Cowabungaa said:

Hey look, it's working, isn't it?
You didn't see me actively defending the games did you? Counter-flaming ain't worth the effort really. It's pointless, especially in this case.

gillnavisingh

Stick a Cupca- AUGH!
Jan 13, 2010
Too many shooters, a billion people talking about Skyrim, and so many Zelda fans getting their wish with Skyward Sword.

Me, I'm just looking forward to the new TinTin film.

JasonBurnout16

Oct 12, 2009
Getting really fed up with Yahtzee repeatidly neglecting multiplayer when it seems games such as COD and Battlefield are based around multiplayer.

Even if Yahtzee does not like it, A VERY large portion of the gamer base do and therefore I feel he should mention it.

SnakeoilSage

Sep 20, 2011
Since I can't stand these kinds of shooters, I'm going to give the award Resistance 3, because even if it did look boring and brown, it surprised me with enough variety to at least keep me playing 'til the end. And for the opportunity to annoy my buddy with all the "ice" puns I could recall from Batman and Robin.

Canadamus Prime

Robot in Disguise
Jun 17, 2009
Say Yahtzee, speaking of humiliating tie breakers, what could more humiliating than the fact that these games are what pass for entertainment these days?